• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memcache server error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gonna post in here to say I'm having the same problem, regardless of browser. Tried a bunch of US based VPNs, same thing. Tried one from Japan and it worked.

I am using a VPN from the Netherlands to connect, and it is really quite sketchy. I still can't connect to NeoGAF any other way. From Canada, BTW. I wonder why this is affecting so many people in so many different regions?

And I think mobile might only be working for some based on the providers they're using. If you're trying mobile through your own local wifi connection, you might still get the same error.

The mods aren't responsible for site upkeep so it's likely they know little more than us.

Right. A lot of the mods are just as in the dark as we are.

I am taking a guess here that something is blocking a lot of web trafic, but I am unsure if it is regional or something else entirely. The only connections that seem to be getting through are from VPN's or specific mobile providers. That's my guess, anyway.

The mods aren't responsible for site upkeep so it's likely they know little more than us.

Right. A lot of the mods are just as in the dark as we are.

I am taking a guess here that something is blocking a lot of web tragic, but I am unsure if it is regional or something else entirely. The only connections that seem to be getting through are from VPN's or specific mobile providers. That's my guess, anyway.

PSY・S;201720223 said:

Hmm OK then. There are a few mods online though.

Demoskinos

Yeah, same here errors the entire day so far. As long as I'm using the dev tools to spoof an iphone i can view it on desktop but just straight up trying to access any version of the desktop site? No go. :(

riotous

Banned
Probably just need to restart the memcache service.

sudo service memcache restart

or

sudo service memcache start

Same command has an alternate with a d at the end, so memcached instead of memcache if the above commands don't work.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
And I think mobile might only be working for some based on the providers they're using. If you're trying mobile through your own local wifi connection, you might still get the same error.

Works on my phone via WiFi, doesn't work on my pc.

Sheroking

I'm getting this issue on Waterfox, Chrome and mobile Chrome.

A simple VPN works no problem.

EDIT: If I disable Wi-Fi, NeoGAF loads in mobile Chrome.

So hey, me and a bunch of other users keep getting these errors. I know it's a Saturday but are mods asleep at the wheel or something? And they wanna get paid like this smh.

jk please don't ban me but do fix the site.

Saggy

Weirdly enough, I had to restart my router for an unrelated issue, and now I'm no longer getting this memcache error. Not sure if coincidence or not :p

Weirdly enough, I had to restart my router for an unrelated issue, and now I'm no longer getting this memcache error. Not sure if coincidence or not :p

I thought this might help out last night before I knew others were experiencing this too, but nope. Just tried again and still nothing. It seems like whatever IP the ISP reassigns me when I reboot the router is still part of a bad cluster somehow.

Glad it worked for you though!

riotous

Banned
It works with Hola when I chose Netherlands.

I don't think it's actually a client->Server connection issue; that would make no sense since it's a PHP error. PHP doesn't run on the client.

I think it's some sort of header that's sent to the server that tells it not to use cache; VPN services use their own caching so when a web server detects a VPN it might skip that memacache code.

Or it's a co-location or web farm issue where most of the servers don't have the issue; changing aspects of your client (or the network that acts as a client on your behalf) end up with the load balancer sending you to a good sever sometimes and a bad server others.

spuckthew

The two previous times I've tried accessing GAF today I just assumed the site was down for whatever reason and didn't bother looking into the meaning of the error. But on my third attempt for some pre-bedtime browsing I thought "something's going on here" and alas there is.

I'm having to browse on 4G as even the mobile site isn't working on my phone over WiFi.

Harl3

I don't think it's actually a client->Server connection issue; that would make no sense since it's a PHP error. PHP doesn't run on the client.

I think it's some sort of header that's sent to the server that tells it not to use cache; VPN services use their own caching so when a web server detects a VPN it might skip that memacache code.

Or it's a co-location or web farm issue where most of the servers don't have the issue; changing aspects of your client (or the network that acts as a client on your behalf) end up with the load balancer sending you to a good sever sometimes and a bad server others.

Hola works for me choosing USA.

I'm not from USA

suzu

I hope this gets resolved soon.

It only works on mobile (connected to my wifi), but not on my desktop. Weird.

zulux21

got it working with a hotspot shield VPN thing, but I still wish at least someone would comment on what is going on. I really don't want to have to run a VPN just to browse neogaf.

daxy

I'm in the Netherlands and the site doesn't load for me, so it's just a matter of luck that the Dutch VPN some of you used is working.

Interesting theories. I think you may be on to something with the VPN memacaching because i8t seems like VPN's and proxies are the two only options available on the desktop for most.

I'm still receiving the Memcache error on my desktop, but I can connect through my phone using my data plan. But I can't connect through my wifi on my phone or my tablet.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, I can get on the desktop version of NeoGaf if I use the Hola VPN extension on Chrome. That's where I am typing from now. I had to re-apply the dark theme though for some reason.

HOWEVER

If I click one of the icons on the left to go to the first unread post in a thread, it breaks with the memcache error again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom