• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About to buy an OLED Vita...???

Found a used OLED Vita on craigslist for cheap, what should I look out for? I know It's a PCH-1001 model. Before I go out and buy I figured I should tap into the Vitagaf collective knowledge and know what I'm getting into.

-Horizon-

Memory cards. Make sure you know how much you need, if the vita you're buying comes with one, and if it doesn't how much money you'll need to buy one.

Look out for the mura effect. It affects many OLED screens and isn't really noticeable unless the screen goes all black, but it hits some OLED Vitas harder than others.

uIKS3.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
2D games look absolutely glorious on the OLED

Look out for the mura effect. It affects many OLED screens and isn't really noticeable unless the screen goes all black, but it hits some OLED Vitas harder than others.

uIKS3.jpg
Oh boy that's bad. It's present on mine but not bad and if anything appears onscreen it goes away.

uIKS3.jpg

Good to know, I know there's the risk of burn in and so I think I'll spending some time looking at the screen.

ghibli99

Form factor on the 2000 is so much better IMO, and I don't notice the lack of OLED, even though I used to have a 1000, and look at an OLED screen throughout the day on my phone.

But hey, welcome to the family. :)

2000 is better. Buy that.

OLED is garish. That's all I'm gonna say, I've used both extensively. Also burn-in, lower battery life, worse buttons, worse ergonomics, and proprietary cable are all problems the 2000 doesn't have.

It's probably cheaper too.

Cheap is just my perspective, $85 with charging cable, nothing more. I have a huge backlog thanks to PS plus so all I think I'm missing is a good size vitacard.

That's fair imo. If you're cool with deleting games once you're done I'd settle with a 16GB card.

I'm selling mine after work today. I have the SLIM and a 16GB memory card. I just don't use it anymore, and don't remote play my PS4 either. Gamestop is going to give me $88.80 for the system and memory card.

Dnot do it

I bought one and regretted it. Didn't like any of thr games for ot. I don't think I completed one.I bought metal gear, all of thr AAA titles, none of them clicke. It better to just play real games on a full console instead.

Banned
Don't be afraid to get hold of extra Vita 1000 charging cables by any means:

Kill if you have to; They will forgive you.

I'm selling mine after work today. I have the SLIM and a 16GB memory card. I just don't use it anymore, and don't remote play my PS4 either. Gamestop is going to give me $88.80 for the system and memory card.

You should sell it in B/S/T, I know there's quite a few people looking for Vita's there.

Yasumi

Banned
Dnot do it

I bought one and regretted it. Didn't like any of thr games for ot. I don't think I completed one.I bought metal gear, all of thr AAA titles, none of them clicke. It better to just play real games on a full console instead.
Sounds like it just doesn't suit your very particular tastes. OP probably has a better idea of what he's getting into.

Dnot do it

Do it.

I bought one and loved it. Loved tons of games for it. I've completed several. I got Persona 4 Golden, many of the AAA titles, most all of them clicked. It's often more comfortable, convenient and intimate than playing games on a console strapped to a TV.

THE WHOLE POINT OF PORTABLES IS THAT THEY ARE PORTABLE HOW DO PEOPLE NOT GET THIS.

Yep, do it.

The OLED's beautiful, particularly for brighter titles or sprite based games with good contrast. Pop Hotline Miami and SotN on there. If you've had PS Plus and added everything you can to your library you should be good for games for a long time.

It's worse than Vita 2000 in every regard.

This just ain't true. The 2000 feels more cheaply made, less solid & classy. And any preference for the 2000 screen is pretty subjective; it's technologically inferior.

Don't take that as me saying the 2000 is bad, there's a lot to like about it, particularly the buttons & ergonomics, and it's perfectly understandable why some prefer it. But the grass isn't necessarily greener.

The 2000 model feels a billion times better, don't buy the 1000. I only noticed the lower screen quality for like a day and then I forgot what the OLED screen looked like, it's perfectly fine.

uIKS3.jpg

Mine has a bit of that but really it's not that noticeable. Can't compare to anyone else's though.
i sold my slim and bought a matte slim because fuck finger prints everywhere
Use a water-based or alcohol based sanitizer?

Do people not know how to clean anything these days. Darn kids :p

Occam

The worst thing about 1000's OLED is how quickly it degrades (making its color accuracy even worse) and how it gets burn in.

gogogow

uIKS3.jpg

unless the screen goes all black and you're in a pitch black room. In normal lighting conditions it's not noticeable.

Alucrid

Banned
Mine has a bit of that but really it's not that noticeable. Can't compare to anyone else's though.
Use a water-based or alcohol based sanitizer?

Do people not know how to clean anything these days. Darn kids :p

fingerprints don't show up on the matte, so no need.

inner-G

Banned
If you can find it, the charging dock is pretty handy, and will keep the precious proprietary USB cable in good shape better.

derExperte

Depending on how long it was actively used the OLED screen might have already started to noticeably deteriorate, the longevity is a real problem.

But the 2000's screen is worse for motion handling and contrast. It's tit-for-tat in these debates.

There's fors and againsts for either, and a lot of the subjective "better" arguments depend on the individual's tolerance for a technology's flaws, or the weight they attach to their strengths. I'm sure the OP (or whoever) will find the benefits of whichever version of Vita they choose, they're both great.

The OLED screen has very noticable grain/vertical lines, though.

Yeah, it looks pretty bad when photographed with a potato.

All of this stuff that you linked to:

Poor calibration, resulting in gaudy oversaturated colours. The IPS panel in Vita-2000 is well calibrated, and only shows saturation where it's necessary (like in Persona 4 Dancing).

The white point was also way off, which gave the screen this unnatural blue glow, as whites would appear blue-ish.

2) Burn in. Some users had the web browser menu bars burned into their screen, others had game HUDs.

3) very low max brightness. Peaks at 117cdm2, when IPS LCDs were reaching 600cdm2. This made it pretty unusable outdoors.

4) Mura/grain, which renders solid colours as grainy canvases, which is quite noticeable and distracting.

These are just....nothing.

The "oversaturation" is someone trying to sound like a videophile while discounting more vibrant colours and deeper/truer blacks. Some may prefer the more muted 2000, and that's fine, but the OLED looks great. Nobody - anywhere - ever said a single word about the OLED's colours being anything but eye popping and fantastic until the 2000 came out and people wanted to win internet arguments.

Whites appear white. I am looking at them right now. They are white.

Burn-in is so rare that it's practically an urban legend. I, and hundreds of thousands of others, have used the internet browser and HUD-intensive games plenty. We don't have burned-in screens.

The brightness is way too much, I have to turn it to minimum so as not to hurt my eyes, it's definitely visible outside.

MURA - as everyone can attest, is invisible when the screen is active.

"Grain" is somebody hallucinating. I'm holding the screen 2 inches from my eyes right now, everything is solid.

Radnom

I have both models, and I would very easily recommend the 2000 model over the 1000 model any day. There are so many improvements that it feels ridiculous to go back. The OLED screen isn't worth it at all.

uIKS3.jpg

OLED isn't all it's cracked up to be.

It's vibrant and the refresh rate is great, but color accuracy is off out of the box and gets worse over time, and then of course the mura effect which makes the whole thing look like its dying. Pretty big negatives compared to modern LCDs in my opinion.

finalflame

Closeup of the vertical line OLED problem:
Burn in:

Just want to say that I appreciate that you are substantiating your position with facts and evidence, while your detractors are giving entirely subjective and unsubstantiated arguments. People will die to defend the 1000's OLED screen when in reality it was first-generation tech not ready for primetime and the LED is objectively superior.

The cost of "truer blacks" is far too high given OLED's shortcomings, but people LOVE to defend it like it's the holy grail of screens. I've owned both, and LED is vastly superior to the OLED in every way but black levels.

kng3025

Just got back, looks like the screen is in great shape. Now to find a good deal on a memory card.

Congrats, new vita owner. After getting a mem card, pick up Severed. Just got it and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Also get Persona 4 Golden if you're into rpgs.

Just want to say that I appreciate that you are substantiating your position with facts and evidence, while your detractors are giving entirely subjective and unsubstantiated arguments. People will die to defend the 1000's OLED screen when in reality it was first-generation tech not ready for primetime and the LED is objectively superior.

The cost of "truer blacks" is far too high given OLED's shortcomings, but people LOVE to defend it like it's the holy grail of screens. I've owned both, and LED is vastly superior to the OLED in every way but black levels.

And motion handling.

And contrast.

And the appearance of a slightly crisper resolution due to the sub pixel arrangement.

That's the problem with claiming something is objectively superior when it has so many trade offs. It's all subjective.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

finalflame

And motion handling.

And contrast.

And the appearance of a slightly crisper resolution due to the sub pixel arrangement.

That's the problem with claiming something is objectively superior when it has so many trade offs. It's all subjective.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'll gladly agree to disagree on this note. That really is all that matters; Vita is a great device regardless of which screen you prefer.

Zackat

Best hand-held ever. Enjoy it. Freedom Wars was fun, new God eater about to come out in a few months. The little console has tons and tons of games. More than you could ever play.

Top Bottom