• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Now Supports HD Rendering

https://citra-emu.org/screenshots
000.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

001.jpg

Lock if old.

MLH

This emulator has made amazing progress. It's nice to know the 3DS will be preserved in this way.
I don't see any rendering/ graphical issues in any of those screens, actual performance is another issue however; I'm guessing audio and speed are still a problem, I've yet to actually try the emulator will probably wait for a stable build - emulation like this always seems like magic to me, amazing.

jediyoshi

It's a bit funny the thumbnails themselves on the page don't have any kind of scaling, so the artifacting just kinda looks like aliasing at a glance.

Rich!

they look amazing

Like I said in the other thread, I was about to re-play MM3D. I'm actually just gonna wait. Only a matter of time until I'll be able to play it on my TV in native 1080p, played with a Dualshock 4 (with gyro).

bomblord1

Banned
A lot of this stuff is a weird mix of above and below Wii level.

The textures and in some cases lighting in particular are noticeably better but the geometry in a lot of places is worse.

Eila

This is what I'm talking about.
3DS games are going to look glorious 1080p.
Didn't realize MK7 geometry was so basic. I guess it makes sense, with the game being 60 fps with 3D on.

The Boat

The textures in particular are noticeably better but the geometry in a lot of places is worse.

Not being an expert on hardware, that sounds like 3DS in a nutshell so it makes sense.

Looking good. Can't wait to replay some of these games with good image quality as the 3DS tends to make them look like ass.

Rich!

The textures and in some cases lighting in particular are noticeably better but the geometry in a lot of places is worse.

thats because the 3DS has better shaders and texture capabilities (the wii basically has no inbuilt shaders) but less polygon pushing power than the Wii.

so...these screenshots are exactly how we should expect 3DS games to look like in HD.

I can't see the images in the OP because they need to be rehosted (unless I copy and paste the links). But they're looking really nice.

I would love to see Star Fox 64 3D in HD.

Rodin

Been saying for years that behind the crappy low res screen the 3DS games looked amazing. Monster Hunter, Luigi's Mansion, Smash and Kid Icarus screens next please.

Eila

Been saying for years that behind the crappy low res screen the 3DS games looked amazing. Monster Hunter, Luigi's Mansion, Smash and Kid Icarus screens next please.

Hmmmmm Luggy's mansion 1080p with no framerate drops (think you can already do this on N3DS).
I liked what I played, but I don't think I beat the game.

Miker

On one hand, Kid Icarus Uprising is one of the few 3DS games I think would really benefit from a resolution bump, as the low 3DS resolution means you're often literally shooting at pixels in the distance. On the other hand, I don't see its control scheme translating all that well to anything on the PC.

jgUHR0G.png

On a serious note the progress is amazing however I feel many of these games were intended to be played in a low resolution to hide their shortcomings. Ocarina and Majora looks outstanding.

On one hand, Kid Icarus Uprising is one of the few 3DS games I think would really benefit from a resolution bump, as the low 3DS resolution means you're often literally shooting at pixels in the distance. On the other hand, I don't see its control scheme translating all that well to anything on the PC.

Steam controller.

Platy

jgUHR0G.png

In a serious not the progress is amazing however I feel many of these games were intended to be played in a low resolution to hide their shortcomings. Ocarina and Majora looks outstanding.

To be fair Mario Kart is a frantic game that it should not be looked at close up of racers

Top Bottom