• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Now Supports HD Rendering

Eila

Wonder if they'll be able to incorporate online. I swear Dolphin could connect online, although it never worked in my setup. And of course, online for the Wii is dead now.

khaaan

Zelda TriForce Heroes

it doesn't look as good as OoT. but still pretty nice in some sections.

Now if only Kid Icarus worked on Citra...

Edit: BTW we all want Kid Icarus screenshots but the game is unable to start on Citra due to various files needed. We'll all have to wait, I think

It looks okay...but isn't the game basically unplayable without multi-player?

roytheone

Wonder if they'll be able to incorporate online. I swear Dolphin could connect online, although it never worked in my setup. And of course, online for the Wii is dead now.

It could, it was crazy to be able to play Mario kart Wii on the PC online against actual Wii players. Too bad the servers are now down :(

c0de

Now we can have a Majora's Mask emulated HD shootout, 64 vs 3D:

MM3D is nice, but it's honestly a little closer to the N64 than I was hoping to see for that area (Are they using the exact same sparkle textures?).

And the final area:
Project64
Citra
MM3D looks way better here.

Still waiting for a Xenoblade comparison between Citra and dolphin in 1080p.

c0de

Well, Dolphin is going to look much better. And there have been texture packs released for it which can improve the IQ considerably.

I just want to see how good the port to the n3ds actually was. Yes, it will look better and of course texture packs would make the comparison invalid.

Nerrel

Games like Resident Evil and MGS 3 would look great too but we already have 1080p versions of those to see haha

I'm still interested in seeing how they'd turn out, especially MGS3. People actually liked the new models and crouching the game added, but its framerate and low resolution made it a weak port. I wonder how playing on PC with a stable framerate at 1080p or higher would serve the 3DS version. It's probably still not as good as the HD PS3 version, but it might be competitive.

LewieP

I'm still interested in seeing how they'd turn out, especially MGS3. People actually liked the new models and crouching the game added, but its framerate and low resolution made it a weak port. I wonder how playing on PC with a stable framerate at 1080p or higher would serve the 3DS version. It's probably still not as good as the HD PS3 version, but it might be competitive.
I think it's still limited to 30fps, even though it struggles to ever hit that on an O3DS (but with a N3DS and HANS is a pretty stable 30 fps). Of course it's possible that the 30fps lock could be overcome when emulating it.

I think you're right that the HD collection version would still be the best way to play it, but it would be fascinating to see the various different versions compared to the 3DS version being emulated.

Eila

I think it's still limited to 30fps, even though it struggles to ever hit that on an O3DS (but with a N3DS and HANS is a pretty stable 30 fps). Of course it's possible that the 30fps lock could be overcome when emulating it.

I think you're right that the HD collection version would still be the best way to play it, but it would be fascinating to see the various different versions compared to the 3DS version being emulated.

MGS 3D actually has 20 fps lock. All N3DS overclocking does is less framerate drops.
Hopefully there is a hack to unlock it, but not every game gets one. A lot of games get their physics screwed by trying to unlock their framerate.

Nerrel

What res is the HD collection, though? 720p? Citra would be capable of doing a higher res and enhancements on top of that, so it may end up with much better image quality. 60fps is still a great advantage, but it's not impossible that a 60fps hack could come along for Citra if Dolphin is making progress with it.

For fun, here's another comparison with TwilightZoney's Majora's Mask images:
25389341004_66b3b05c6f_o.jpg

unknown.png

I prefer the original here... The red is too much. Also, I never noticed before, but did they change the sky during the
moon entrance
scene so that it's no longer morning?
PJ64
Citra

LewieP

MGS 3D actually has 20 fps lock. All N3DS overclocking does is less framerate drops.
Hopefully there is a hack to unlock it, but not every game gets one. A lot of games get their physics screwed by trying to unlock their framerate.
Ah that's right, I misremembered.

Even getting the game to run at all on a handheld is impressive, but yeah the framerate obviously took a big hit.

I desperately want to see Kid Icarus Uprising in HD, but I have no idea how you'd map the controls to any PC input device. Maybe you could trick the Steam controller into treating the touch pad like the 3DS touch screen, but that would make it hard to navigate menus, nevermind activating power-ups.

There are still lots of limitations (and I could complain endlessly about Valve's fuckups with the Steam controller), but even with the current options you could make the game completely playable. Mouse region enables you to use the right pad as a touch screen. Navigating menus is solved easily by switching action sets or mode-shifting into standard mouse control. Or just use the left pad as a mouse.

The d-pad can be used to select and activate powers. The touch screen isn't required. You could also mode shift the mouse region to the bottom left side of the screen if you really wanted to.

Tealmann

MGS3D is unironically my favorite version of the game. The controls are so fucking good compared to the original and the HD versions. And I'm sure at 1080p the models will look lovely.
Also, Peace Walker got a framerate unlock cheat on PSP, and I'm pretty sure MGS3D uses that engine, so there's some hope.

CO_Andy

I believe it's DeSmuME X432R, unless it's been integrated in another fork.
Your processor better be up for it, or you're not running the games full speed.
The main fork of DeSmuME recently added texture filtering and the ability to render at higher resolutions.

Crazy processing power no longer required.

I prefer the original here... The red is too much. Also, I never noticed before, but did they change the sky during the
moon entrance
scene so that it's no longer morning?
PJ64
Citra

I think it only shows the morning on the first time it shows the cutscene? I can't quite remember now. Does seem odd.

Eila

The main fork of DeSmuME recently added texture filtering and the ability to render at higher resolutions.

Crazy processing power no longer required.

Oh my, I better try some games myself.
Did they allow you to run the games at any resolution or you're still limited by a multiplier of DS internal res?

Locuza

Oh my, I better try some games myself.
Did they allow you to run the games at any resolution or you're still limited by a multiplier of DS internal res?
You are limited by a multiplier.

Config --> 3D Settings --> HD prescaling from 1 (native) to 5.
(Use OpenGL 3.2 and for some games (Pokemon I believe) you better deactivate "Enable Edge Marking" and "High Precision Color Interpolation")

If you don't have a modern PC then the emulator is still very demanding, but fortunately you can adjust the emulator speed and accuracy and improve frame-rates dramatically.

Config --> Emulation Settings --> uncheck "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" + checkbox "Use dynamic recompiler" and set the block-size on 100 for the fastest mode.

They may be some issues with certain games, so you have to play a little bit, but for the most part the emulator should work very well without any major issues.

It looks okay...but isn't the game basically unplayable without multi-player?

You can complete all 128 missions as well as the free DLC (Den of Trials) in single player. It's more tedious and boring, but still better than dumb teammates or lag that makes multiplayer a slideshow.

SirNinja

And the final area:
Project64
Citra
MM3D looks way better here.

Hooooly shit. If I knew nothing else about MM3D or Citra, and you told me that shot was from Wii U, I'd probably believe it
(if it weren't for that crummy A button, at least, but not too much can be done about that)
. Just nuts.

Anyone manage to take some Kid Icarus shots yet?

Eila

You are limited by a multiplier.

Config --> 3D Settings --> HD prescaling from 1 (native) to 5.
(Use OpenGL 3.2 and for some games (Pokemon I believe) you better deactivate "Enable Edge Marking" and "High Precision Color Interpolation")

If you don't have a modern PC then the emulator is still very demanding, but fortunately you can adjust the emulator speed and accuracy and improve frame-rates dramatically.

Config --> Emulation Settings --> uncheck "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" + checkbox "Use dynamic recompiler" and set the block-size on 100 for the fastest mode.

They may be some issues with certain games, so you have to play a little bit, but for the most part the emulator should work very well without any major issues.

Hey, this helped a lot. Thanks!

Platy

How is citra emulation of 3D Land ?

Tryed and it got very low and I don't know if I did something wrong, the pc that I tryed was not good enoght or the emulation is just not very good

Big Nikus

I'd like to know if Dragon Quest Theatrhythm is playable on Citra.
edit : Alright it works perfectly, currently playing it on TV with a Wiimote !

holRuAE.gif

Top Bottom