• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Now Supports HD Rendering

Someone from gbatemp forced some texture filtering, some gltiches ofc

qXoV1ve.png

ZFEalIK.png

1oHkUJm.png

More here
https://imgur.com/a/dkNzB

nimbusstev

Neo Member
One step closer to finally being able to enjoy 3DS games on the big screen! I love 3DS games but I have the hardest time hunching over that tiny little screen.

If Nintendo won't make a "Super Gameboy / Gameboy Player" for the 3DS, the homebrew community will do it instead. I can't wait until these actually become playable!

fernoca

Pokémon looks quite good. Maybe the next handheld will just be an HD 3DS; hence the continued support and new Pokémom game. :p

BONKERS

Compared to what you see on the 3DS screen though. Some games can literally become Jaggies: The Game at times

That's any game without decent AA though.

Just imagine however, if Nintendo released a Main Pokermans game on Wii U when it was launched looking like this. Or on the NX. It would sell like hotcakes.

I'm clearly in the minority but I think Pokemon looks horrific at 8x the resolution with texture filtering turned on and antialiasing.

The game's artistic style always seemed like it was made so that the 3D character models looked like sprites - indeed if you take a still frame of them when the game's running in the ballpark of 240p you get that intended result.

Likewise a lot of the textures have been designed to look great without texture filtering turned on, and I think they disabled filtering as a stylistic choice.

Turning filtering on, antialiasing on and upping the resolution 8x just gives the game a really inconsistent look now, and robs it of some of its unique identity (Pokemon X/Y are pretty visually dissimilar to other RPGs of the era due to their quirks mentioned above).

That aside, Pokemon X/Y is clearly a game designed around the 3DS's display resolution, at 8x you just expose the low-poly geometry in the environments and the textures have lost their crispness.

---

Zelda and 3D Land hold up really well, though. No surprise about the former (Nintendo used 480p screenshots for Ocarina of Time 3D and they looked great), but I wasn't expecting 3D Land's textures to still look great after such a huge resolution jump.

Alpha_eX

This is how the 3DS games should have looked, I actually don't enjoy playing mine because of how awful the lower screen quality is and most games in general, it is offputting when it shouldn't be, but as a Vita owner, damn.

Pokemon looks AMAZING.

The question is though, what CPU do you have yourself? (And the rest of your PC if you don't mind)

I've got an FX-6300 overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I'd guess that something like a 6700k (at stock speed) is about 50% faster than mine.

Other specs are kind of meaningless, but I've got 16GB of RAM and a GTX 970.

By the way, anyone expecting to be able to play Kid Icarus with a dual-analog controller are going to be disappointed. The Steam controller is the only thing that has any possibility of producing a playable result.

Peltz

3D Land looks ridiculously good:

EkMLLQv.jpg

Nintendo truly are lowpoly masters

Impressive. Looks like 3D World with simpler graphics. It's amazing what Nintendo is able to do with such limited hardware.

Somebody do Starfox 64 3D at 4x so we can compare it to Star Fox Zero.

Link_enfant

That looks really amazing. If only Nintendo planned to make NX backwards compatible with 3DS games and render them like this (or even better)...

bomblord1

Banned
I've got an FX-6300 overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I'd guess that something like a 6700k (at stock speed) is about 50% faster than mine.

Other specs are kind of meaningless, but I've got 16GB of RAM and a GTX 970.

By the way, anyone expecting to be able to play Kid Icarus with a dual-analog controller are going to be disappointed. The Steam controller is the only thing that has any possibility of producing a playable result.

It's a lot more than 50%

At stock depending on the benchmark you're looking at somewhere 2-3x the performance http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-FX-6300

Assuming a linear power progression with the overclock (it's not) it's still about 180% of the 4.2ghz 6300's power (going by the cinebench score). More realistically you're still looking at about 2x the performance on a 6700k stock vs the OC'd 6300.

Then of course OC the 6700k and your back to square 1.

Whelp time to sell my N3DS I never use. I hate the shitty screen, and spend all my time on my computer. So this is pretty much the best thing for me. If only Nintendo would do it themselves, I would gladly pay them.
You need a way to dump your own games, so better not get rid of it so fast.

What do you mean, exactly? The game technically does have dual analog controls built into it. By going into the options menu you can set it so the face buttons move the reticle around or set it so the left circle pad controls the reticle while you move around with the face buttons, Turok style.

wow.. makes me not want to play games on that shitty 3ds low res screen...

Between rendering res and framerate that is precisely why I don't play console games anymore outside of Nintendo games.

Pokemon models on 3DS are bloody brilliant though. They made those to last a few generations for sure.

It's funny because it's true

NES: 256 x 240

3DS: 400 (800 in 3D) x 240

Makes it a damn awesome homebrew retro emulation device though.

Yeah, I'd go as far as saying it's the last device that'll truly do 1:1 pixel mapped pixel art. It was nice to see pixel art in even AAA handheld games like E.X. Troopers (it's all over the HUD and interface).

And I don't really think the 240p resolution is a bad thing, at least on the 3.5" screen size of the original model. The pixels are small enough that even non-pixel perfect content doesn't stand out. That stuff annoys me a lot on the 4.8" 3DS XL screen though, always has me adjusting the 3D effect so stuff is "pixel perfect" in the z axis in games which don't ensure this.

A "retina" version at 480p instead with imperceptible pixels at normal viewing distance would be amazing though.

Wow, I was totally satisfied with my 3DS until I opened up this thread. Truly cannot believe how well OmegaRuby polishes up when rendered in HD! My word. Emulation is amazing! It's a relief that backing up carts is so easy, it'll feel good to be emulating your own backups.

Misterhbk

Is this stable at all? Are games actually playable? Cause all this hype is kind of wasted if this thing is years from being useable.

Teletraan1

Banned
As someone who loves RPGs and hates handhelds for their poor ergonomics when this gets stable and performance is up to par this is something that would interest me greatly. It wasn't until PPSSPP got good that I could actually play all the PSP games I bought.

Top Bottom