• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If transgender folks are to be celebrated, why are transracial folks vilified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
The prevailing notion in the increasingly left leaning western world is that transgendered people are brave for recognizing and embracing their true selves in the face of a public that might not understand them. Bruce becoming Caitlyn was celebrated on the cover of Vanity Fair to much fanfare.

However, Rachel Dolezal was vilified by both white and black America, enduring slurs such as "Can't Jamima". The charge leveled at Dolezal was "racial theft" or "cultural appropriation". However, you rarely hear such phrasing aimed towards the transgender community for appropriating another gender. I think it's true that there are struggles that a trans person could never fully understand about their chosen gender, just as their are cultural struggles that a transracial person could not understand about their chosen race.

I'm not bagging on trans folks at all, but I just find the separation of race and gender in this context to be really interesting, when race and gender are generally protected from inequality equally under the law.

Crayons

Banned
Race isn't hardwired into the brain

MTF transwomen have brains more similar to female brains than to male brains, for example.

Wreav

Banned
Give me a break. It's not bait, it's a discussion. It's concerning that folks can't even comment on race vs gender without fear of censorship.

Like I said, I'm not anti trans.

ivysaur12

Banned
Because gender dysphoria is a real diagnosis that has been researched and studied with a psychological consensus while racial dysphoria is a thing that isn't real that Rachel Dolezal said one time.

Give me a break. It's not bait, it's a discussion. It's concerning that folks can't even comment on race vs gender without fear of censorship.

I just don't think you fully appreciate exactly what it means for someone to be transgendered, and how speaking of that in racial terms is apples and oranges.

Race isn't hardwired into the brain

MTF transwomen have brains more similar to female brains than to male brains, for example.

I think this post sums it. There's nothing about race really hardwired into the brain. When people say it's a social construct they literally mean it. There are tiny biological differences (phenotypical expressions, sensitivity to certain disorders, etc), but it's mainly cultural and you don't need to be part of a specific race to enjoy its culture

Gender is a mindset that's hardwired into your brain, race isn't. That's the difference.

Levito

Banned
Gender is a social construct, race isn't.

EDIT: Perhaps I misspoke, but the literal color of someone's skin is a far different matter than gender. Gender, and the status quo 'rules' that come with it, are a social construct.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ok, going to try and take this seriously.

Sex and gender identity are tied to a number of biological phenomena, hence people's feeling of being born in the wrong body. Their body was configured one way, but their psychology was configured the other way (or at some midpoint along the spectrum). It's not a choice, anymore than their sexual orientation is.

Race, on the other hand, is a largely social phenomenon. You can't be born with a black mind in a white body because there's no preexisting biological notion of blackness for you to be born into. And because it's a social phenomenon, tied to community and history and all of that, you start to run into issues of appropriation.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
dolezal was some kind of weird charlatan who was just trying to further her career IMO. her entire career was about being black. you could say she did some positive work, and i'm sure she did though I never really looked into it..... but nobody goes through gender reassignment as a career move.

Africanus

Isn't judaism as a race a social construct in large part?

Yes, which is why there is a division between ethnically Jewish and culturally/religiously Jewish.

When one refers to the Jewish race, they may be referring to any one part of those three, or multiple.

Slayven

dolezal was some kind of weird charlatan who was just trying to further her career IMO. her entire career was about being black. you could say she did some positive work, and i'm sure she did though I never really looked into it..... but nobody goes through gender reassignment as a career move.

She faked race based attacks against herself and more scary against her kids.

She is not mentally healthy enough to define anything but bullshit

Sex is biological. You can't control that shit. Race is a social construct as to why we have seen the concwpt of race change throughout history. Come on, you can't feel black. Nothing about being black is hardwired besides you have dark skin (and this is even vague since many people of indian descent have dark skin but are not defined as black because again there is no fucking biological basis of race).

Explain to me how you identify as black and know right away?

Uh..

Yeah as stated being transgendered is an actual condition with differences that manifest in the brain, showing it's more than a flimsy whim that people would hop on.

Far be it from me to tell people what race or culture they should identify with or relate to, but these are really not the same thing at all and a pretty offensive comparison.

I would need to see some academic information on what you mean by transracial folks before I can begin to understand the question enough to answer, OP.

Also it's 'transgender' not 'transgendered'.

Here's a more serious reply.

It's not the same thing.

How exactly do you think an error would happen in the development of a fetus that it would grow to have the identity of a person of another race? Can you honestly see any way in which it would be in a similar level? Like sure, I can give that some people may feel that they feel more at home with people of another race, the same way I feel more at home with women (being a straight man who has never really felt comfortable with other men). But to compare it to being transgender? No, it doesn't work. All that requires is some mess up with your chromosomes or something like that.

You say you are serious about it and don't any have a problem with transgenders, but then you use phrases like "appropriating another gender".

Really no offense, but you might wanna take a long deep look at your post, and ponder the question why people aren't taking it seriously.

Wazzy

Banned
The comparison of these two is really weird and always comes off as shady when I see people bring it up.

Transracial is a problem because many people aren't doing it because they felt they were born in the wrong body but that they were shamed for being born that way. It's not something I want to see supported.

It is legitimate to see how someone could feel they were meant to be a different gender.

braves01

Banned
I expect time and further scientific study will help legitimize transracial identities as it has for other marginalized identities over the past century.

Adaren

Race doesn't have a biological basis, but it doesn't change the fact that Rachel Dolezal felt like she was a different person than who she was born as, did something about it, and got mocked and shamed by pretty much everyone in America. Race is a social construct, but I don't think that sufficiently answer's the OP's question of why she was "vilified".

Razorback

I haven't thought much about this but I think that the main issue is that there is a biological difference between males and females. Someone might be born with a female brain on a male body. On the other hand there is no such thing as a black brain or a white brain, so there is no such thing as feeling like you're black or white.

Of course culturally it is a different story.

Race doesn't have a biological basis, but it doesn't change the fact that Rachel Dolezal felt like she was a different person than who she was born as, did something about it, and got mocked and shamed by pretty much everyone in America. Race is a social construct, but I don't think that sufficiently answer's the OP's question of why she was "vilified".

Because she made up a thing that doesn't exist.

SoulUnison

Banned
I came into this thread thinking you'd be talking about something else entirely.

Pretending to be of a race you have no connection to isn't "transracial," it's just delusional and manipulative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom