• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-Women's March: white women, working class, and people might need to reflect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

This kind of shit isn't even necessary
It isn't until I'm told I'm a Weekend Warrior when I've been political and heavily involved for the better part of a decade. So it is necessary now.

But I'll concede maybe I'm getting frustrated with him too and I should use better language.

I believe that you won't give less than one shit either way, because you're invested in your on ethnic troubles and needs, and can't see beyond that. And there will be Fire!! in some fashion... I guess.
but still

D i Z apologize for my poor wording but I'm curious, what will you be doing? You're still talking a lot but I want to know if you're doing anything with your frustration.

Aight, I think I know where your coming from in your post, but discussion does not always have one side that is here and one that is there and the two meet and calmly talk things out. From my life experiences, I ain't the one to educate people on why my life matters. For one, it's not a debate, but second, because I have tried to educate racists in my life and it hasn't given me anything but mental anguish. So I save that shit for those with more patience than I. I'll say my peace and if you disagree, bye.
It certainly isn't that way, yes. But wouldn't it be nice if it was? To get there we need to try. And that has to be done with respect. I can understand that emotions get into the mix, but you can't expect others to deal with that just because. Also, talking about "them" and "us" is not really helpful, but that is not something pointed at you exclusively. Looking through this thread makes you think.

I think Trump's election and the post-election protests have really opened up white Americans to intersectionality. People I've known who would never even use the word are suddenly saying feminism has to be intersectional and that is refreshing to hear from them. Progressive white women are suddenly realizing that their own social progress is more fragile than they thought and they seem to be reconsidering their relation to other oppressed communities.
And that is good that white America finally seems to be catching up in the conversation. If only most people didn't get defensive or reactionary when they're not being coddled. If we can get past this first defensive act of tone policing by moderates on having to have a discussion in a respectful manner, which is an unrealistic distraction, we can get somewhere.

ExVicis

You unironically called this march a Pink Pussy March? Wow.
I glossed over that. Maybe D i Z got heated and frustrated too.

And that is good that white America finally seems to be catching up in the conversation. If only most people didn't get defensive or reactionary when they're not being coddled. If we can get past this first defensive act of tone policing by moderates on having to have a discussion in a respectful manner, which is an unrealistic distraction, we can get somewhere.
Again, telling people to stop being "fragile" probably won't work. Not unless you're following that up with something else. Telling someone their emotions aren't worthy of being addressed doesn't stop how the feel.

LionPride

Banned
That's a nice belief but I personally just want everyone to be happy to the best that it is possible for another person to be happy without encroaching on another's happiness.

As for the other beliefs. That's fine, but they're your beliefs and they may be wrong as may mine. You should still believe what you want but know this.

I have volunteered for the last 3 elections (yes that includes the midterms) and gone door to door.

I've been an Election Officer for one of those.

I've been at probably to more protests than you.

I've probably been to more political meetings than you

I've probably faced more racial prejudice than you.

I'm probably far more angry than you.

I'm probably going to send my emails and letters to my politicians than you (if I haven't already)

This are things I MIGHT be wrong about but I doubt it. I think you're probably a fine person, you probably have a lot of interesting and respectable opinions. I hope you get everything positive you believe in too. But I don't think you're in the right here. I don't think you get to believe your superior to everyone because you're angry. And I don't believe you get to get angry, coy and posture because your frustrated in a thread on NeoGAF and try to turn it on someone talking to you.

It's not, your completely right in that it's not on us. But the answer to that isn't to lash out on Twitter repeatedly. The answer probably isn't any one thing either though.

All I know is for the last couple of years I've been talking to people about these issues because that's all I know how to do. On forums, facebook, in public, wherever. I've been trying to do that for a long time.

If people want to be angry I guess I can't stop them but I don't think it's conducive to a discussion if you start off angry and try to get the person you're trying to talk to angry at you. Chances are if they aren't angry with you if you're accosting them then they probably already agreed with you.
Why is most of this post is just you saying unneccessary mess. Liks that comparison shit? What?

D i Z

It isn't until I'm told I'm a Weekend Warrior when I've been political and heavily involved for the better part of a decade. So it is necessary now.

But I'll concede maybe I'm getting frustrated with him too and I should use better language.

Reading comprehension is a must. Wasn't reffering to you.

but still

D i Z apologize for my poor wording but I'm curious, what will you be doing?

I'll be talking to the people that I know that were there over the weekend for what is happening next in both D.C and the west coast. What can be done, and what is a lock. I'll also be working on issues that have been there regarding funds removed from the arts and communication, and the outlawing of organized protests. Also how we manage to provide funding for the arts over the coast for those that don't get funding. It's been happening for a while. 20 years. We know what we're doing. I know that you won't be doing shit except being disruptive, so there is no reason to ask.
Do something. Anything productive with yourself.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I know that you won't be doing shit except being disruptive, so there is no reason to ask.
Do something. Anything productive with yourself.

You could have ended your post just fine but then you added in this inflammatory accusation at the end.

ExVicis

I know that you won't be doing shit except being disruptive

This kind of shit isn't even necessary

Well that's your call D i Z. I hope you do exactly what you said and it does hopefully what you want. I hope I see you at one of the letter sending events I'm going to in the coming days.

But still I'm not appreciative of how volatile you are to people and how condescending you have chosen to be. I sincerely hope you're not like this at the political events and try to drive people away, because that is not productive, dawg.

We're they just not told about it and expected an invitation? Did BLM Vancouver try and reach out but got rebuffed?

As noted they had POC and Indigenous speakers at the event.

I'm sure the Facebook conversation had more details inside, but it was deleted.

I hope BLM Vancouver is better than BLM Toronto.

Of course somehow this is actually BLM Vancouver's fault....

watershed

Banned

I wouldn't frame this moment as "White America" doing anything. I think its more specifically white feminists and progressive white activists who are opening themselves up to collaboration and solidarity with different activist communities. I agree that initial internal hump, and many others along the way, are always difficult to navigate. But this time, the dynamic is a little different. At least in my own circles, white feminists are now looking for allies outside of their own community. I've literally almost never seen a white feminist actively reach out for new allies among POC. I said earlier, I think the election of Trump has shocked a lot of white feminists into realizing how fragile their own progress is and thus the need for solidarity outside of their own community has risen up internally. I'm guessing here, but I think they feel more marginalized now than they have in some time. That's a scary feeling and would send anyone scrambling for help. I think its good because the more united we are, the stronger we are.

All of you complaining about how unfair it is that women are being painted like this, I hope you have a post history being just as against how unfairly black people are painted when it comes to damn near everything...ESPECIALLY voting patterns.

And some of you are tilting the fuck outta me with this whole "making white people feel bad is causing a raical rift". THAT'S what's causing the great "Racial Rift" America? Not the 250+ years of racial inequality and lack of racial justice but because your feelings were hurt by your fellow white men/women and minorities no longer laying down and taking BS? Like get the fuck out of here; nah like seriously get out the thread cause ya'll just spewing some bullshit of the highest order.
this is 100% true. if black or latino people had voted like WW did, we wouldn't hear the end of it for decades.

Mortemis

Banned
That tweet in the OP only goes for the throat, trying to spark anger rather than discussion. But still, damn. It's crazy how a tweet, and then other posters trying to explain what they mean about reflecting on the election gets people calling for the end of liberalism from infighting, and how this of all things is gonna get Trump re-elected.

We just had one of the biggest protests in US history sparked by a collective anger from the left, yet they divided as fuck. Okay.

LionPride

Banned
That tweet in the OP only goes for the throat, trying to spark anger rather than discussion. But still, damn. It's crazy how a tweet, and then other posters trying to explain what they mean about reflecting on the election gets people calling for the end of liberalism from infighting, and how this of all things is gonna get Trump re-elected.

We just had one of the biggest protests in US history sparked by a collective anger from the left, yet they divided as fuck. Okay.
Let people say they dumb ass bullshit. They will keep saying it when people are "divided" but say jack when people are united

Keri

this is 100% true. if black or latino people had voted like WW did, we wouldn't hear the end of it for decades.

I get feeling resentment over this, but the response shouldn't be to spread the misery and join in arguments which use these kinds of generalizations as a justification for ignoring issues that effect particular groups. These demographic arguments come up as justifications for why the rest of us shouldn't care about bad things happening to [insert group for which there is evidence that some portion has behaved badly].

I understand bringing up the fact that 53% of white women voted for Trump, in the context of trying to find ways to shift their votes, but it seems like it's almost always brought up as a way of discouraging empathy with women's rights, in whole.

akira28

I understand bringing up the fact that 53% of white women voted for Trump, in the context of trying to find ways to shift their votes, but it seems like it's almost always brought up as a way of discouraging empathy with women's rights, in whole.

where? I usually see it done in shock with a "what are we gonna do now?" sort of tone. Not "see what white women did, they deserve everything they get now." tone people seem to be so afraid is going to occur. Certainly not from minorities. Because we're all in this quicksand together.

I see no one trying to turn this around to do an end run on women's rights.

Hell just look at the number of "black voters..." articles that came out days after the decision. Random black barbers in some city didn't vote, black turn out was "down" (article never mentions voter surpression at all), 2% more black people voted for Trump, etc.

Or look back at Prop 8 in California and how utterly fucked up the narrative was on that black voters got blamed like crazy over that shit despite black voters making up a really small amount of the overall vote. No articles at length about white men voting a certain way, or white women hell I don't even remember seeing articles about the white voting block at all. But we had dozens of articles on the black vote, are blacks more homophobic, why are blacks homophobic, etc.

So I'm really not here for this "I'm uncomfortable as a white person with how people are reacting to people who share my skin color voted".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thank you for basically putting all my feelings I had when reading those comments into intelligent words of reply far better than I could have without getting frustrated. I mean that.
Thanks for the kind words.

Not quite that bad but I definitely did see someone be utterly contemptuous and dismissive of women's issues by declaring they were behind race issues, in that order. It's idiotic and misguided that's for sure.

Keri

where? I usually see it done in shock with a "what are we gonna do now?" sort of tone. Not "see what white women did, they deserve everything they get now." tone people seem to be so afraid is going to occur. Certainly not from minorities. Because we're all in this quicksand together.

I saw it most recently in this thread. In between posts lamenting the awful effects of defunding Planned Parenthood, multiple people were posting to say: "Remember, 52% of white women voted for this!" If you track my posts in that thread, you'll see me responding to multiple people, who were stating that Trump voters need to accept the consequences of their actions. In that context, the suggestion is that we don't have to feel so bad about Planned Parenthood being defunded, because some women deserve it.

akira28

Keri I was legit afraid you were going to give me a non-GAF example :p

yeah I have seen some stuff on here too, and I have been avoiding tons of threads which is actually good for me. I can't pin down all the bad arguments as the occur, but I agree that they are ridicule worthy and should get hammered as soon as they appear. the sort of mechanical input-output bad logic has no place in real discourse or on GAF.

https://m.facebook.com/vellumandvinyl/posts/1242438245849584

This is a must read imo

This woman complied all the tweets from a first nations woman speaking to her perspective and experience at the march. Including significant racism

This deserves to be screencapped and seen by everyone. Made to look like a carnival act and making "jokes" of them.

https://twitter.com/sydnerain/status/823378710833270786

indigenous_woman_women_s_march_by_digi_matrix-dawjipg.png

indigenous_woman_women_s_march_2_by_digi_matrix-dawjips.png

indigenous_woman_women_s_march_3_by_digi_matrix-dawjipp.png

indigenous_woman_women_s_march_4_by_digi_matrix-dawjipm.png

indigenous_woman_women_s_march_5_by_digi_matrix-dawjipk.png

And this disgusting first reply below should tell you all you need to. That is a cautionary tale of what NOT TO DO. Actually all of this woman's replies are disgusting. Constantly telling women of colour to shut up and listen to white women and railing against intersectionality. No signs of letting up. The ironic thing is she links to a Vox piece about intersctional feminism, but doesn't seem to have taken heed of it. "It's harder to be a white woman in many ways than a WOC". "But black women need to look more to the example of white women IMO. Both can learn from each other!". "Whats divisive is literally DIVIDING up feminism along racial lines. Sorry, but time for WOC to suck it up & fall in line w/ the rest of us!"

reply_to_indigenous_woman_women_s_march_by_digi_matrix-dawjip5.png

reply_to_indigenous_woman_women_s_march_4_by_digi_matrix-dawjip8.png

reply_to_indigenous_woman_women_s_march_2_by_digi_matrix-dawjipe.png

reply_to_indigenous_woman_women_s_march_3_by_digi_matrix-dawjip9.png

This is what people saying "unity" in these discussions sounds like, when they want to ignore race.

A couple more threads of indigenous women's experiences at Women's March:
https://twitter.com/debreese/status/823490997074137088
https://twitter.com/Alhakofi/status/822922703753637888

Mortemis

Banned
Let people say they dumb ass bullshit. They will keep saying it when people are "divided" but say jack when people are united

They could be like that, can't say I have faith in people who throw their hands up to letting Trump win because they sense "infighting" don't anything.

Hell just look at the number of "black voters..." articles that came out days after the decision. Random black barbers in some city didn't vote, black turn out was "down" (article never mentions voter surpression at all), 2% more black people voted for Trump, etc.

Or look back at Prop 8 in California and how utterly fucked up the narrative was on that black voters got blamed like crazy over that shit despite black voters making up a really small amount of the overall vote. No articles at length about white men voting a certain way, or white women hell I don't even remember seeing articles about the white voting block at all. But we had dozens of articles on the black vote, are blacks more homophobic, why are blacks homophobic, etc.

So I'm really not here for this "I'm uncomfortable as a white person with how people are reacting to people who share my skin color voted".

We got places that enforce voter ID laws and have offices where you'd get your IDs magically disappear from black neighborhoods, yet people here try to un-ironically switch the discussion like maybe it's black people's fault. They can miss me with that shit.

Keri

Keri I was legit afraid you were going to give me a non-GAF example :p

yeah I have seen some stuff on here too, and I have been avoiding tons of threads which is actually good for me. I can't pin down all the bad arguments as the occur, but I agree that they are ridicule worthy and should get hammered as soon as they appear. the sort of mechanical input-output bad logic has no place in real discourse or on GAF.

Hah, you have a point. Oh my god, this just got meta. I'm generalizing NeoGaf opinions...

OK. OK. NeoGaf does not set the whole tone of the conversation, you're right. And it's good to remind myself of that. But, that's one particular use of the 53% statistic that I've seen, that really frustrates me. It doesn't mean the fact can't be discussed at all though.

All of you complaining about how unfair it is that women are being painted like this, I hope you have a post history being just as against how unfairly black people are painted when it comes to damn near everything...ESPECIALLY voting patterns.

And some of you are tilting the fuck outta me with this whole "making white people feel bad is causing a raical rift". THAT'S what's causing the great "Racial Rift" America? Not the 250+ years of racial inequality and lack of racial justice but because your feelings were hurt by your fellow white men/women and minorities no longer laying down and taking BS? Like get the fuck out of here; nah like seriously get out the thread cause ya'll just spewing some bullshit of the highest order.

Yeah I mean shit one of the early hot takes by many from this election was that minorities just didn't turn out enough for Clinton.... like when early estimates showed rump at like 9% of the black vote vs 8% from Romney (which may not have even been accurate) I saw people going how could that happen as if 9% was such a massive win for Trump.

If white folk even just went 50/50 for the Dems the GOP would lose every election.

watershed

Banned
Hopefully more and more people will come to realize how flawed and exclusionary white feminism is. Very sad to read those tweets and the lack of inclusiveness displayed at the march in DC.

Hopefully more and more people will come to realize how flawed and exclusionary white feminism is. Very sad to read those tweets and the lack of inclusiveness displayed at the march in DC.
Lack of inclusiveness? What?

I would consider what was done at the march to be the best it's ever been.
I wanna edit in here: What I mean to say is it's a good start. It needs to keep going. And those that hold the right beliefs need to keep hammering away at the wrong ignorant views.

The Native America posts up there. People viewed them like tourists...like something in a zoo. And it sickens me and saddens me.

akira28

Hah, you have a point. Oh my god, this just got meta. I'm generalizing NeoGaf opinions...

OK. OK. NeoGaf does not set the whole tone of the conversation, you're right. And it's good to remind myself of that. But, that's one particular use of the 53% statistic that I've seen, that really frustrates me. It doesn't mean the fact can't be discussed at all though.

I agree. I bet there are others out there who are saying the exact same thing in real life...and they probably don't hold many feminist ideals. I just haven't seen any who were going to stick their necks out in public and say something like that. But social media forums, online and not in person? oh yeah...

watershed

Banned
Lack of inclusiveness? What?

I would consider what was done at the march to be the best it's ever been.

I'm referring to the tweets above. It is sad that indigenous people went to the Women's March in the spirit of solidarity only to have that solidarity not returned by white women at the march.

Overall the national marches were amazing and I saw a lot of inclusiveness myself, but as demonstrated above, white feminism and the narrow focus of action/concern it provides is still a major issue. Thankfully I saw many examples of that narrow focus being broken but the dynamic is still very difficult. White women are looking for unity from POC, but if done so without concern for other's issues (like the tweet above that says women should be united and race issues are secondary) then only white women will gain from that unity and their narrow focus on white feminism will not change. Real solidarity must be reciprocal.

Say what you will about Jezebel but Kara Brown is almost always an excellent writer and that is true here.

http://jezebel.com/i-want-to-trust-the-womens-marchers-1791491466

The election of Donald Trump to the most powerful office in the world is a terrible thing—some might even say tragic. But is it more tragic, does it necessitate a larger response, than the murder of a child by state agents? How does, I wondered, one rationalize taking to the streets for this and not that? Not donating a dime or a care to Standing Rock but throwing down a credit card for whatever shows up when you search “feminist” on Etsy. Coming out on this beautiful Saturday morning to demand basic human rights for all, while children in Flint continue to be poisoned by the most basic of resources. How does this compel you to action more than that?

In downtown Los Angeles, the lack of police presence was conspicuous and angered me acutely. As many have noted, the mostly-white Women’s March garnered a completely different response from law enforcement than the more melanin-heavy demonstrations which promote with the exact same peaceful intentions. More frustrating were boasts about the lack of arrests on Saturday from people who somehow still don’t realize the color of your skin is often the primary determinant of how you’ll be treated by police.

Sitting on my couch that evening and trying to decompress from the day, my dissatisfaction nagged at me. I knew and understood the feelings of many women of color who understandably decided to sit out this march, noting it was time for others to participate in the work they’ve been doing for so long.

I am glad, if nothing else, that the marches dwarfed Trump’s inauguration attendance and at the very least caused him a “a sense of injury.” I have an appreciation for any new engagement born from the march and I can’t even fault those who enjoyed the day—after all, there were food trucks. It feels good to feel good, particularly following the dark circumstances of the day before.

Still, what was really bothering me? Where was my sense of awe and hope? The next morning realized: I don’t trust these people.

I don’t trust most of the Women’s March participants to show up again. I don’t trust the resolve of their concern. I don’t trust that all voted for Hillary Clinton or recognized the unprecedented threat of Donald Trump. I don’t trust that they understood this was an election to do everything in our power to keep him out of the White House—too important to throw a vote away on Jill Stein or write in your mother’s name on the ballot.

What I do trust, however, are bigots. I trust bigots to remain bigots. I trust them to continue sending me gloating, racist emails and harass John Legend and shoot black people for as long as they continue to get away with it. I trust them because there’s evidence. History is riddled with proof. Their hatred has always persevered.

As nice as it may have felt at the time, there’s no proof this march this time will spark the resistance we need. The excitement, then, felt somewhat hollow and premature. Writing for The Guardian, Occupy Wall Street co-creator Micah White urged us to consider the Women’s March and its effectiveness in the context of other protests in history. Is this the means to the end we desire?

I'm referring to the tweets above. It is sad that indigenous people went to the Women's March in the spirit of solidarity only to have that solidarity not returned by white women at the march.

Overall the national marches were amazing and I saw a lot of inclusiveness myself, but as demonstrated above, white feminism and the narrow focus of action/concern it provides is still a major issue. Thankfully I saw many examples of that narrow focus being broken but the dynamic is still very difficult. White women are looking for unity from POC, but if done so without concern for other's issues (like the tweet above that says women should be united and race issues are secondary) then only white women will gain from that unity and their narrow focus on white feminism will not change. Real solidarity must be reciprocal.
I actually edit in about that. I totally agree on that. Like I said the only way to change anything is to confront those ignorant views. Step it up white woman.

Maebe

Tweets above are very telling. As much as people want minorities to shut up or there's another 8 years coming(as if this is their fault) there's still a lot of issues that need to be discussed and addressed.

No, it seems more like the white ones are upset that the brown ones won't let them ignore race issues.
But is that what this thread is about? This seems more like some people unjustifiably shitting on people who didn't vote for Trump when they're trying to help. Your statement seems like an oversimplification.

This is great.

I'm stunned NeoGAF did not match the reactions of actual matchers at the event. Simply shocked!

Plus, like if I saw a sign that said 59% of whatever insane number of white men voted for Trump, I'd look at it, and say, "yup, that's insanely fucked up" and move on with my day. I wouldn't feel attacked for it.

Lime

White feminists / allies are 'new' to this in terms of approaching political organizational work intersectionally along class and race and gender and sexuality.

Also, the suffragete movement is a bad example to choose from, as some of the prominent white women used white supremacist arguments for granting (white) women voting rights. Some of these movements were 'new' to this in terms of not fighting for justice for all women along racial and class lines.

Since you brought up the Suffragette Movement, let's go into the history of racism in there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...ilm-Racist-women-or-not-asks-Anita-Anand.html
There were certainly some suffragettes who went on to espouse pretty hateful views. Notably a woman called Norah Dacre Fox, who happened to be the head of the very Kingston suffragette branch which Sophia would first join.

Dacre Fox was an ardent suffragette who went to prison three times, enduring the force feeding so effectively portrayed in Gavron’s film. But she also went on to join the British Union of Fascists, cozying up to Oswald Mosely and his Black Shirts. She believed in British racial and political superiority.

Emmeline Pankhurst too, later drifted towards a similar trajectory. Her motives seemed more paternalistic than Dacre’s.

She wrote: 'Some talk about the Empire and Imperialism as if it were something to decry and something to be ashamed of. t is a great thing to be the inheritors of an empire like ours... great in territory, great in potential wealth... If we can only realise and use that potential wealth we can destroy thereby poverty, we can remove and destroy ignorance”.

More Pankhurst:
http://www.theroot.com/sister-suffragette-slave-t-shirts-highlight-white-fe-1790861323
Pankhurst's "Freedom or Death" speech, also given in 1913, proved that for her, all the women are white. Speaking before a crowd in Hartford, Conn., she implored the United States to view the plight of British suffragettes as urgent as that of black Americans:
Pankhurst: "You won the civil war by the sacrifice of human life when you decided to emancipate the Negro. You have left it to women in your land, the men of all civilized countries have left it to women, to work out their own salvation. …

Other people have said: "What right has Mrs. Pankhurst to come to America and ask for American dollars?" Well, I think I have the right that all oppressed people have to ask for practical sympathy of others freer than themselves."
"

Apparently, black Americans were "free" in 1913.

Pankhurst had the audacity to say this during a time when Jim Crow laws ruled the Deep South with an iron, white fist. She name-checked white feminists while ignoring the critical work of Sojourner Truth and Mary Ann Shadd Cary, among others. She failed to mention the tireless efforts of her black American contemporary Ida B. Wells-Barnett, who, while fighting against the legal lynching of black men and women, also founded the Alpha Suffrage Club of Chicago—the first black women's suffrage organization in the country. Ironically, it was founded the very same year that Pankhurst gave her speech in Hartford.​
White women were told to vote to drown out the vote of black men. Black women were told to be at the back, and had other restrictions to deny them the vote.
“While women’s suffrage in the US has its roots in the anti-slavery movement prior to the 1860s, they increasingly found that having any support for black people was a drag in their campaign,” says Adams. “White suffragettes found it would be better if they distanced themselves from black women.”

In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the American suffrage movement spread across a number of states. But by the early 1900s, there were no suffragettes in the southern states. Women in the northern movements realised that they could use race to promote their cause down south.

“They thought, what do we have to do to attract southern states?” explains Adams. “They thought, ‘if we enfranchise white women that will consolidate the white vote and balance the vote against black men.’”

American suffragette Carrie Chapman Catt, founder of the League of Women Voters, is known to have said: “White supremacy will be strengthened, not weakened, by women’s suffrage.” While Rebecca Ann Latimer Felton, the first woman to serve in the Senate, said: “I do not want to see a negro man walk to the polls and vote on who should handle my tax money, while I myself cannot vote at all.”

At a crucial demonstration that took place in 1913 in Washington, black women were forced to stand at the back to appease the suffragettes from southern states – even though a number of states were desegregated. “By that time the suffragettes had become segregationist,” says Adams.

When all women were finally given the vote in America in 1920, the racism did not die down. Instead southern states tried to create barriers and obstacles to prevent black women from voting, such as imposing time restrictions or saying they had to own property.

There is, however, one notable Indian woman in the British suffragette movement that was put front and centre along with white feminists. Indian princess Sophia:
suff-princess_3165695b.jpg

But when it came to British Indian women, there were several who were known to have joined demonstrations and marches. Anita Anand, author of Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary, tells me that there was also one woman in particular, the aforementioned Indian princess Sophia, the god-daughter of Queen Victoria, who played a huge role in the suffragette movement.

“The empire took everything from her father but she spent her life fighting for women’s rights in this country. She believed there was something stronger than racial hatred and it was the sisterhood."

Indeed while her sister returned to India to fight for women's rights there, Princess Sophia chose to stay at Hampton Court and fight for British women's rights instead. Her actions were not ignored by the suffragettes.

“She wasn’t just welcomed by the movement, she was held aloft," says Anand. "Her propaganda was huge for them. She was part of Emmeline Pankhurst’s close coterie of friends – she was one of her ‘rock star’ suffragettes.”​
It wouldn't really be until the 1960s where black and non-white women's voices were being heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom