• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: The King Of Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America Announced

knakoiftt2016psspi.jpg

Bandai Namco's big yearly tournament for Tekken 7 has been announced with the Tekken tour making multiple stops throughout various Wizard World and Fighting Game events. Each destination will be a qualifier for the big Finals event later this year with a $20,000 prize pool.

PRESS RELEASE:

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (May 19, 2016) – Leading video game developer and publisher, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc., today announced the TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America, scheduled to hit major North American cities throughout the rest of the year in anticipation of the home console release of TEKKEN 7.

The TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America aims to bring together the top TEKKEN players from around the country for the largest ever TEKKEN tournament in North America for a knockdown, drag-out competition through 18 different cities across the United States and Canada for bragging rights and cash prizes. The nationwide tournament series is the only place in North America for fans to get their hands on the arcade version of TEKKEN 7.

“The TEKKEN series is a cornerstone of the fighting game community and continues to evolve and advance the genre forward with each installment,” said Katsuhiro Harada, Director of TEKKEN Project at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. “I’m excited to see what the North American TEKKEN community is made of as they compete over the next seven months in the TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 in North America.”

“The TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America series of events expands upon our tournament footprint that was set in motion earlier this year through our partnership with Wizard World Comic Cons and Gaming Tour,” said Eric Hartness, Vice President of Marketing at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. “The added reach of the TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America events will ensure that TEKKEN fans across the country will have an opportunity to experience the next chapter of the storied TEKKEN videogame franchise and compete for cash and glory.”

The TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America began on February 19, 2016 at Wizard World in Portland, OR and will continue through November 6, 2016 at the Wizard World Comic Con and Gaming Tour in Pittsburg, PA.

Tournaments will be held at Wizard World Comic Con and Gaming Tour sites and key fighting game circuit cities. Each tournament event will feature a prize pool of $3,000 with a final prize pool of $20,000 at the TEKKEN 7: The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America finals.

For full tournament rules and regulations please visit

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/tekken-tour-na.

The next stop as of now for the Tekken Tour are:

Combo Breaker [May 27 - 29]

https://combobreaker.org/

Wizard World Philadelphia [June 2 - 5]

http://www.wizardworld.com/

CitFGinUUAEZGtw.jpg

Skilletor

Wait, did they just issue a press release for a tournament series that has already been happening?

Surely there was something earlier, so why the PR now?

vocab

How about you get the game out on a platform where people could practice it you sack of shits. I thought Arcsys was bad with staggered releases, but good god, Namco takes it to another level.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I think the coolest part of the tour/rule set is the fact that already qualified champions can give up their spot and compete for more!

Anti-gate keeper and ballsy! You have to be super confident in your game to risk your finals spot!

Gren

Isn't that the canon Tournament name? Seems fine to me.

I dunno, maybe it just seems a bit long-winded since they're including the "~ 2016 - North America" part everytime they mention it.

I just think it's pretty funny that they have Tekken in the tourney name twice. But everyone knows it as a brand name & not its literal translation so what else can ya do?

Dereck

The most meticulous and sluggish form of milking a release's utility I've ever seen.

No rush at all and it's been made clear. Never change Namco.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
And still no release date ?

Wtf Namco Bandai...

The arcade version of TEKKEN 7 (Fated Retribution) is still in development. The TEKKEN team is focusing on that release first then will shift focus to console.

We should be thankful that even though the ROW (rest of world) gets T7 later, that it'll be a complete game, with sound netcode and extras.

The arcade version of TEKKEN 7 (Fated Retribution) is still in development. The TEKKEN team is focusing on that release first then will shift focus to console.

We should be thankful that even though the ROW (rest of world) gets T7 later, that it'll be a complete game, with sound netcode and extras.

Yeah Markman i'm a little bit salty because i really want to play Tekken 7, i know they want to give us the best product possible... But i'm still salty :p

Something like the Guilty Gear XRD Revelator pre-order would be nice (a "demo")

cordy

Banned

We should be thankful that even though the ROW (rest of world) gets T7 later, that it'll be a complete game, with sound netcode and extras

1zTm2uG.gif

DON DEMARCO! DEMARCO!!

NoKisum

To me this sounds like when Microsoft was doing that national tour to show off the Xbox One, and then released it right after. So, expect the game mid-late November?

cordy

Banned
To me this sounds like when Microsoft was doing that national tour to show off the Xbox One, and then released it right after. So, expect the game mid-late November?

That Namco report hinted at T7 potentially so we'll see. Personally since Murray said they were already working on the console version (he's seen it running apparently) we'll see.

At this point I'm like on a T7 blackout though. Wiping it from my mind so when it releases it'll be fresh.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
These games still do that well in arcades? I thought arcades were on the decline though? I genuinely do not know.

It's been stated that the revenue generated by TEKKEN games through the arcade division will often be as profitable as the console releases themselves. So that tells you something about how vital it is to their ecosystem.

Top Bottom