• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games priced

AniHawk

Genji is from some crappy 3rd party that nobody likes.

Resistance is Sony and $50. I expect $60 for most, if not all PS3 games.

WYWY

Just to be complete...

Konami's Mahjong game 5,229yen
SEGA GOLF CLUB 7,140yen
Genji 5,980yen
Resistance:FoM 5,980yen
Gundam: TIS 7,329yen
RR7 7,329yen
Koei's Mahjong game 5,040yen
AC4 8,190yen
Sonic 7,140yen

Apparently From Software is the only one shooting over the top. All other offerings are quite conservative. SCE pricing being the most attractive.

I don't see them going for any less than the 360, they'll probably be the same price (Gotta make up for their losses on the hardware somehow!)

AniHawk said:
Genji is from some crappy 3rd party that nobody likes.

Resistance is Sony and $50. I expect $60 for most, if not all PS3 games.
Not surprised Resistance is cheap, it's the type of game that won't sell in Japan.

WYWY

To put things in perspective... this is good news for the import gamers. PS2 games already retail at an average of 7,140yen, with big releases such as the numbered FF or DQ going way over easily. In fact, Koei's Three Kingdoms XI released on the PS2 just last week, says 'hi' with its 9,100+yen price tag.

From's announcement of 8,190yen for AC4 last week generated expectation that it may become the new 'reference' price. Happily this news shows that this isn't the case.

Biggest surprise is SCE's pricing. With this they are embarking on an unexpected approach to pricing awareness (Genji1 and even FPSs retailed at a full 7,140yen). We importers hope they maintain such sensibilities for future releases.

Hadji

Banned
Hey, 60$ per game isn't such a bad deal. Now that I think about it, if PS2 games costed 60$ I would've been more careful with my purchases and wouldn't have wasted tens of hours of my life on the Xenosaga series. =D

xaosslug

DCharlie said:
... c - r - a - b is now a banned word?!

I don't think so... I took it as Kobun Heat just couldn't be bothered to roll with that old chestnut. I think he was wrote f**k. Look here: crab. :p

Striek

Yeah..but..but...thats just Japan, PS3 games will still cost $80 USD, right, right?!

Haters keep on hating but them prices are

DCharlie said:
in line with the PS2 and X360
Oh? Wasn't Perfect Dark: Zero 7,140 yen at launch?

Tsk tsk. It would be a poor comparison to argue against the prices now the X360 is a failed system in Japan.

It is incredibly remarkable that Sony is coming in under X360 launch game prices and quite a ways off expectations. Quite a bit more than you are willing to admit ;)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Striek said:
It is incredibly remarkable that Sony is coming in under X360 launch game prices and quite a ways off expectations. Quite a bit more than you are willing to admit ;)
Yeah, I just hope those prices translate over to USD well.

Googled yen to USD translation...
Konami's Mahjong game 5,229 yen (44 U.S. dollars)
SEGA GOLF CLUB 7,140 yen (60 U.S. dollars)
Genji 5,980 yen (50 U.S. dollars)
Resistance:FoM 5,980 yen (50 U.S. dollars)
Gundam: TIS 7,329 yen (62 U.S. dollars)
RR7 7,329 yen (62 U.S. dollars)
Koei's Mahjong game 5,040 yen (42 U.S. dollars)
AC4 8,190 yen (69 U.S. dollars)
Sonic 7,140 yen (60 U.S. dollars)

If first party games end up being 50 dollars over here, consider me a happy man. I just have a bad feeling they wont be. :x

DCharlie

Banned
Oh? Wasn't Perfect Dark: Zero 7,140 yen at launch?

it was!

Tsk tsk. It would be a poor comparison to argue against the prices now the X360 is a failed system in Japan.

i'm not

the first party games are excellently priced , that's undeniable - the rest are in line with X360 and PS2 , which is also below my expectations.

a comment on genji...it looks very good graphically now....ut still looks uninspired in gameplay...stil above unknown legends and too human quality though...still chances of purchase are between a negative and zero

peace

The PS3 is starting to look better and better. I checked out the XMB details added to the official site today and it's smokin'. Remote play using PSP looks hot.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bad_Boy said:
And your explaination for genji 2 would be??...
See Kobun's earlier comment, so we can keep going in circles (protip: that may actually be a valid strategy to inflict massive damage on giant crabs).

Drek

irfan said:
Resistance is cheaper because its an fps and its Japan ..
Or Sony is sticking with their $10 cheaper than 3rd parties pricing policy. Only a select few SCE games were $50 after the first year or so of last generation and it helped promote their newfound success as a quality 1st party supplier. Wouldn't surprise me if they stick with it this generation as well.

dankir said:
Thats a pretty broad range of prices, Why is AC4 so much more expensive than the 1st party titles?

It's just the price that some of the games in the series are priced at

While Sonic the Hedgehog and Sega Golf Club were recently announced with standard 6,800 yen pricing, Armored Core will cost a bit more at 8,190 yen. Considering that this price point has been used for Armored Core games in the past, it's unclear if this is a sign of pricey PS3 games in general, or just pricey Armored Core games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736549p1.html

klee123

Well, it's the Japanese launch. From the list here, the PS3 lineup is already a lot more appealing to the Japanese market already than the 360 ever was.

artist

Banned
klee123 said:
Well, it's the Japanese launch. From the list here, the PS3 lineup is already a lot more appealing to the Japanese market already than the 360 ever was.
Compare it to Nintendo's launch line up, that'd be a fair comparison. :D

klee123

Yeah I guess, the Wii will outsell everything in Japan on november. However, people who do wants next gen level graphics in their games have the PS3.

Jonnyram

klee123 said:
How's that lobotomy working out for you?

Oh, and talk about a misleading OP. Those prices are no cheaper than PS2 prices... SCE games have been 5800 yen most of the time, with most of the 6800+ games being from third parties.

Re: Armored Core pricing. AC Last Raven is the only previous title that was priced so high. IGN's misuse of the plural form leaves SSx slightly misinformed that it was something of a trend for the series - it wasn't, but it looks like it might be now.

klee123

Jonnyram said:

Oh, and talk about a misleading OP. Those prices are no cheaper than PS2 prices... SCE games have been 5800 yen most of the time, with most of the 6800+ games being from third parties.

Re: Armored Core pricing. AC Last Raven is the only previous title that was priced so high. IGN's misuse of the plural form leaves SSx slightly misinformed that it was something of a trend for the series - it wasn't, but it looks like it might be now.

I'm talking about the Japanese 360 launch. Are you trying to say the Japanese 360 launch lineup actually appealed to the Japanese gamers?

Yes the prices haven't changed much from last gen, but everyone thought that due to blu ray, PS3 games in general would be higher than usual.

Jonnyram said:

the prices are equivalent to 360 ie games arent getting cheaper as they should

peace

plagiarize said:
why should games get cheaper?

seriously... that's just a really crazy thing to say.

Well the retail high street prices have always been ridiculously over prices...course on the net you can get things more reasonably

peace

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
winston_pr said:
The PS3 is starting to look better and better. I checked out the XMB details added to the official site today and it's smokin'. Remote play using PSP looks hot.

What is this remote play business that you talk about?

klee123

the year 20XX said:
Genji is developed by Game Republic, right? Did they ever end up doing anything else? Because if not, that's sad.

What's wrong with the game? Gameplay wise it doesn't look groundbreaking, but at least it looks next gen enough in my opinion.

nelsonroyale said:
Well the retail high street prices have always been ridiculously over prices...course on the net you can get things more reasonably

peace
development costs are higher. bluray media is more expensive.

the year 20XX said:
Genji is developed by Game Republic, right? Did they ever end up doing anything else? Because if not, that's sad.

They made Every Party for the 360 and Brave Story for the PSP which is apparently really good. They're currently working on Unknown Realms for the PS3 as well as Genji 2.

Top Bottom