• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 May Get PS4/X1/PC Cross-Platform Play

In this new Tekken 7 interview, Katsuhiro Harada has been asked about a possible cross-platform play implementation. The game’s director confirmed that the team is currently looking into it and that it’s not too difficult to accomplish. The team already has an idea on how to proceed, but there are a few issues that have to be solved. Katsuhiro Harada specifically mentioned that they’re considering the benefits of having a larger player base versus issues such as cheating on PC. You can find the exact point where Katsuhiro Harada talks about cross-platform play by going at around the 4:00 mark in the video right below.

http://wccftech.com/tekken-7-may-ge...ot-difficult-accomplish-team-still-exploring/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=126&v=rx7u24kN_Uo

Banned
That is going to be epic if true. Assuming all versions run at 60fps I don't see any advantages for PC players

Son Of D

That is going to be epic if true. Assuming all versions run at 60fps I don't see any advantages for PC players
There's no way Namco will settle for anything less than 60FPS on consoles. It'll kill the game immediately.

vazel

Banned
"Katsuhiro Harada specifically mentioned that they’re considering the benefits of having a larger player base versus issues such as cheating on PC."

rolleyes.gif
So just make it so that people can turn off cross-platform play if they want like in SFV.

Two Words

"Katsuhiro Harada specifically mentioned that they’re considering the benefits of having a larger player base versus issues such as cheating on PC."

rolleyes.gif
So just make it so that people can turn off cross-platform play if they want like in SFV.
Some form of cheating isn't obvious though. For example, a potential hack that obvious to victims is making the opponent's character give off distinctive colors when they are punishable or still locked in an animation.

Really looking forward to this. Tekken always knocks it out of the park with their console releases, and this would be a major step forward.

SephLuis

This needs to happen. Even if the PC version can, and probably will bring, some cheaters, they can develop counter-measures for it and probably those will be very few in number.

More importantly, having the three platforms together means that the player pool won't die or thrive in a single platform and it will give considerable legs to the online mode.

KingBroly

Banned

rolleyes.gif

SF5 doesn't have any anti-cheat measures. It doesn't even have a good rage quit system. The fact that the Tekken devs are talking about countering cheating tells you they've put more thought into doing this than Capcom has.

Two Words

Any video examples of such cheats? I wanna see how bad it can get.
I mean, it's a feature that is a part of the practice mode in many Tekken games. It basically cues you when your opponent is punishable. Instead of interpreting an animation, you're just reacting to a color.

vazel

Banned
Some form of cheating isn't obvious though. For example, a potential hack that obvious to victims is making the opponent's character give off distinctive colors when they are punishable or still locked in an animation.
Can you link examples? All I can find on Google are trainers that don't work online.

I'm not doubting there's online cheating in the PC version. I'm just doubting how widespread it is.

This needs to happen. Even if the PC version can, and probably will bring, some cheaters, they can develop counter-measures for it and probably those will be very few in number.

More importantly, having the three platforms together means that the player pool won't die or thrive in a single platform and it will give considerable legs to the online mode.

SFV didnt brought cheaters though as far as I know.

This should be the standard for fighters.
It really should since
Fighting games are a niche enough genre so something like this would be amazing.

For as many issues as SFV has, it was great being able to play with friends even though I don't own a PS4, or just having good people to play with in general. USF4 on PC was terrible, I casually played the game and still easily won most of my matches.

OscarStyle

Neo Member
Fuck yes! ALL FIGHTING GAMES SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO DO CROSS PLATFORM! AND ALSO THEY SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO HAVE GOOD NETCODE! lol

Son Of D

Probably assumes that PC would be filled with cheaters. Even though if this were to happen I can see Namco allowing you to only search for players on your platform. Like how SFV allows you to search for your platform only or for both PS4 and PC.

SephLuis

SFV didnt brought cheaters though as far as I know.

There are bots which is a form of cheating and turning off v-sync on PC also gives some advantage in regards to frame delay on inputs. Haven't heard any other cheats at least.

At least, I would also expect T7 to have a few bots and, at worst, something that could potentially break the game, but even if the worst case scenario happens, I doubt Namco would leave it like that for long.

There are bots which is a form of cheating and turning off v-sync on PC also gives some advantage in regards to frame delay on inputs. Haven't heard any other cheats at least.

At least, I would also expect T7 to have a few bots and, at worst, something that could potentially break the game, but even if the worst case scenario happens, I doubt Namco would leave it like that for long.

Regarding frame delay on inputs, it'd be like calling a wired arcade stick user a cheater compared to you using a wireless bluetooth controller.
As for bots, I didnt heard of it, then again the point remains, it's not something widespread and hardly qualify as the kind of cheat that lets you hopeless for a chance to win. Granted you meet one online.

I feel like a lot of people gladly abandon to the cheat argument because of frustration to lose.

Alt tab spam can make your opponent's connection turn to shit!

Which also make your connection turn to shit. Making the whole match a mess to play. This is a design flaw though as your game shouldnt behave this way because of alt tab.

Because I can't be bothered to deal with cheats. They can take how many counter measures they can, but usually the cheats end up winning.

Don't want to deal with that on consoles.

You say this like cheating on PC is rife.

I've put in over 700 hours in SFIV and it's various forms and SFV on PC and have never encountered cheating or anything that felt like cheating.

Way overblown.

AllenShrz

The point being is that with Tekken Revolutions you are expected to pay after some matches, yet from time to time you are put to fight vs cheaters- like in that video - and nothing is done about it.

I honestly hope they manage to iron out that aspect of the game. I really cant speak about SFV because is boring for me, despite owning it, but I plat Tekken almost everyday and with Tekken R or TTT2 fighting against cheaters do happens, it may not be that often but it does happen.

vazel

Banned

This is like saying lowering your lerp in Source engine games is cheating.

Top Bottom