• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption on Xbox One BC causes impressive Amazon sales rank jump

Since Microsoft announced Red Dead Redemption would be arriving on Xbox One via backwards compatibility, both the original game and the Game of the Year edition have made impressive sales rank jumps on Amazon.

As of 11:20pm PST on 7/5/2016, the original game has jumped from 595 to 40, and the GOTY edition has jumped from 1,628 to 32.

TXQcErV.png

The game is also still available for sale digitally on Xbox Marketplace.

More publishers should take notice. It's basically free money since Microsoft is doing all of the work in making games playable on Xbox One.

EDIT:

As of 9:15am PST, 7/6/2016. Another SKU appears.

pJyUCCC.png

EDIT 2:

In case anyone is still keeping up...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-...=zg_bsms_nav_0

Amazon has sold completely out of their stock of the physical original and GOTY editions and is now relying on third party sellers to provide stock.

Additionally, if you want a physical copy of the GOTY edition you will have to wait until July 12. It's actually backordered.

Justinh

Yeah, I saw this in the BC thread

More publishers should take notice. It's basically free money since Microsoft is doing all of the work in making the game playable on Xbox One.
This is what I was wondering... if when stuff like this happening, and when Black Ops 1 sales went up after it was announced influence them to allow this sort of thing to happen.

After all, it is as you say MS is doing the dirty work from what I understand getting it up and running.

Is that weekly, monthly or yearly? Because it could be a extra couple hundred sales, or an extra couple dozen.

looks like last 24 hours...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames

Vuze

At this point is any money from physical copies bought on Amazon actually going to 2K?
Unless they are all used (doubtful)... sure.

I'm kinda intrigued to buy the digital version on sale now but if BC ever comes to Win10, there'll probably be another one by then. So I'll hold out - impressive none the less. "Nobody wants BC anyway", eh? =)

Is that weekly, monthly or yearly? Because it could be a extra couple hundred sales, or an extra couple dozen.

Well CEX ( a pre owned store in the UK ) went from 2.2k copies at the time of announcement to 1.4k this morning. So in the UK alone in one store it's sold 800 copies over night - which isn't too bad.

Although these are pre-owned so no money is actually going to the publisher - but there's the chance of DLC purchases I suppose.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At this point is any money from physical copies bought on Amazon actually going to 2K?

Retailers purchase from distributors. They don't actually send money to publishers. If the underlying question is "Aren't these copies just old stock?", then yes, most likely.

sTiTcH AU

Didnt black ops do the same thing? I know a physical copy was almost impossible to get (in australia) a few days after it was made available. Now its settled down BO is easy to find again.

Zomba13

Yeah, they are old copies so no extra revenue for the publisher but I think things like this show interest in the franchise and can help a potential sequel or reboot or remaster.

Yeah, they are old copies so no extra revenue for the publisher but I think things like this show interest in the franchise and can help a potential sequel or reboot or remaster.

Kind of like a Kickstarter when its used to gauge interest, only better because the full original product is already out in the wild.

TBiddy

So a huge jump from yesterday's sales...?

Doesn't seem like that big a deal then.

So a 6 year old game, suddenly jumping almost 5000% in sales "isn't that big a deal"? The game is currently ranked 32 and 40 on Amazon (UC4 is rated 27 on the same list).

So a 6 year old game, suddenly jumping almost 5000% in sales "isn't that big a deal"? The game is currently ranked 32 and 40 on Amazon (UC4 is rated 27 on the same list).

5000% in sales ranking. Not sales. We don't know whether that means it sold an extra 20 copies or an extra 2000 copies.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I mean, Im not doing the math here, but let's say it sold 2-5 copies yesterday? How many would be? Like 200 somthing copies? It's a nice jump, but the Neogaf thread alone could account for most of those. And I doubt a jump of a couple hundred units is enough to make publishers heads spin. Especially since they already sold those copies to Amazon.

I would say a basic steam sale would have a more impressive jump no?

It's late and I'm at work, so feel free to call me out if I'm completely wrong here?

TBiddy

5000% in sales ranking. Not sales. We don't know whether that means it sold an extra 20 copies or an extra 2000 copies.

Sorry, I thought it was sales. Point still stands though.

I mean, Im not doing the math here, but let's say it sold 2-5 copies yesterday? How many would be? Like 200 somthing copies? It's a nice jump, but the Neogaf thread alone could account for most of those. And I doubt a jump of a couple hundred units is enough to make publishers heads spin. Especially since they already sold those copies to Amazon.

I would say a basic steam sale would have a more impressive jump no?

It's late and I'm at work, so feel free to call me out if I'm completely wrong here?

As hodayathink wrote, it wasn't 5000% in sales, but in sales ranking, which is of course different. My point is, that in the last 24 hours it seems to have sold better (if you combine the two versions) of UC4. Not too shabby for a 6 year old game. I don't think RDR will sell a million copies because of this, but do they really need to?

This is as relevant to Take two as the re-entry of Skate 4 after a pewdiepie LP was to EA.

It's great PR for the BC program though. Nothing more.

Profit is profit. If Take Two gets a small jolt from a brief surge of sales on Xbox marketplace for a six year old game, how is that not relevant?

No publisher should turn their nose up at that unless they were already planning to release a remaster.

That's what happens when you don't like it shitty like make it digital-only.

Of course, digital-only with forced re-purchase is even worse than digital-only.

Black Ops had a massive sales ranking spike like this. It went from about 2000+ players to 63K players in hours.

You realize that in hours means that most of those people were actually playing the game that they already owned (with a smattering of people buying digitally), since there's no way Amazon could have gotten said game to them within hours (even if all of them had Prime, they still would have probably been waiting 2 days to get the game).

Estocolmo

And buy DLC for Red Dead Redemption. Where the revenue goes to TakeTwo?

I'm bummed they didn't.

But I think they will.

You mean a 1080p/60fps Red Dead Redemption?

You can bet money on it that people would buy it.

I'd understand if it was the PC version since it never got the game but other then that, more power for those that do I guess. BC is one of the best moves MS did, that's for sure. More companies should adopt Nintendo's mentality, likewise, Nintendo should adopt to what the others do when it comes to region locking.

dex3108

I'd understand if it was the PC version since it never got the game but other then that, more power for those that do I guess. BC is one of the best moves MS did, that's for sure. More companies should adopt Nintendo's mentality, likewise, Nintendo should adopt to what the others do when it comes to region locking.

PS3 version also had issues. And with remaster game would be on more platforms and not on only one so in my opinion Remaster > BC. But it is what it is if R* doesn;t want to do remake we can't do anything about that.

If anyone in the UK struggles to get a copy I have a copy you can have as I now have it digitally.

Just cover postage and it's yours, feel free to pm.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wow you seem to enjoy shitting on B/C just seen all your post attacking B/C in the other thread.

Missed all the posts where I mention I use BC regularly and have been since it launched in the preview program?

I can be sceptical of its success and enjoy the feature at the same time you know...

Top Bottom