• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption on Xbox One BC causes impressive Amazon sales rank jump

Three

Sorry, I thought it was sales. Point still stands though.

As hodayathink wrote, it wasn't 5000% in sales, but in sales ranking, which is of course different. My point is, that in the last 24 hours it seems to have sold better (if you combine the two versions) of UC4. Not too shabby for a 6 year old game. I don't think RDR will sell a million copies because of this, but do they really need to?

You yourself say that this isn't sales but sales ranking then go on to combine rankings to say it sold more than uncharted? What?

Do people not get what a sales ranking is? Say you had something that sold 2000 copies at #1 say you had 3000 items after that that sold 50 copies then one that sold 49 and 48 if those two items sell 2 more than yesterday they jump to number 2 and 3 respectively but they have not sold more than number one "combined".

Man I hated this game when it came out. I just couldn't get past the first few hours. At that time, I had the same experience with all Rockstar games. Hated them all. GTA V did something to me though.... I busted through that first few hour barrier, and thoroughly loved the game. I think I need to give this one another try. You all have sold me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The huge spike is because this is a fantastic game with no other way to play it outside of keeping hold of the last gen consoles - I doubt other games which are less fondly remembered (or have had PC ports in the meantime) would see a spike like this with a BC announcement.

Still, this is no bad thing. I have the GOTY on PS3 and would love to have another way of playing when my PS3 gives up the ghost. I don't have any of the next gen consoles though.

Coxy100

Banned
Man I hated this game when it came out. I just couldn't get past the first few hours. At that time, I had the same experience with all Rockstar games. Hated them all. GTA V did something to me though.... I busted through that first few hour barrier, and thoroughly loved the game. I think I need to give this one another try. You all have sold me.

Dude I'm worried about you.

TBiddy

You yourself say that this isn't sales but sales ranking then go on to combine rankings to say it sold more than uncharted? What?

Do people not get what a sales ranking is? Say you had something that sold 2000 copies at #1 say you had 3000 items after that that sold 50 copies then one that sold 49 and 48 if those two items sell 2 more than yesterday they jump to number 2 and 3 respectively but they have not sold more than number one "combined".

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the 2nd paragraph. It's not to be condescending, but it makes no sense to me.

As for the 1st paragraph, I wrote;
My point is, that in the last 24 hours it seems to have sold better (if you combine the two versions) of UC4. (It should've said "than UC4", not "of UC4", though). At the time I wrote it, the two versions were ranked 32 and 40, compared to UC4 placed at 27. It's not out of the question, that RDR sold better than UC4 in that small timeperiod.

The list measures amount of sales in the last hour, not sales relative to the earlier sales.
https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames,

horkrux

Further proof that BC obviously matters. I deffo cant wait to play this

I think what really matters is releasing them in small batches and to announce that. If all titles were just there from the getgo (with proper, disc-based BC), no one would win. Well, we would obviously win, but none of the publishers.
I have to say, it definitely keeps you excited about this feature.

The sales jump is impressive alone, but even if those dollars don't actually make it to 2K, it has caused a clear uptick in hype about it. The sort of hype and interest you'd want as a publisher if you were going to announce a new game in the series soon...

I think Microsoft has accidentally handled this in the most intelligent way possible. The teases and rumors about it sort-of working has built up a lot more hype than just stealth-releasing it a couple of months ago would have.

Catdaddy

It's on sale this week at the Xbox marketplace for $7.50 Gold $10 Regular. Looks like Amazon sold out of standard copies (no Prime option)...

fernoca

While great, I doubt it's "free money" when retailers (Amazon in this case) paid for this copies years ago.

Digital copies, or them shipping more would be "free money". :p

shandy706

Well CEX ( a pre owned store in the UK ) went from 2.2k copies at the time of announcement to 1.4k this morning. So in the UK alone in one store it's sold 800 copies over night - which isn't too bad.

Although these are pre-owned so no money is actually going to the publisher - but there's the chance of DLC purchases I suppose.

Down to 700 of the OG and only 182 of the GotY.

Amazing

Nephtes

Why did I own RDR on the PS3?
Thank God it's on sale in the digital shop right now on Xbox...

Surprised so many people are buying physical copies of it when a convenient digital version is right there...

Not to mention, the disc isn't even used for anything other than checking you have rights to play the game...

Any word on how it performs during BC?

It runs well. There was a video analysis of it, and the conclusion was that it performs/looks the same, except there's no screen tearing on X1 because of Vsync, and so that results in 1 - 3 FPS drops where there would have been screen tearing on the 360. I don't know enough to know the technical specifications for what causes screen tearing or why removing screen tearing drops FPS but whoever analyzed it sounded like this is normal. Many of the in-engine cut scenes that drop to 20-25 FPS on 360 stay solid at 30 FPS on X1

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzkwYUzj6M

RootCause

Why did I own RDR on the PS3?
Thank God it's on sale in the digital shop right now on Xbox...

Surprised so many people are buying physical copies of it when a convenient digital version is right there...

Not to mention, the disc isn't even used for anything other than checking you have rights to play the game...
Some prefer to buy physical copies, or don't have the best connections,l.

Don't forget used prices, they can be found much cheaper than marketplace.

Profit is profit. If Take Two gets a small jolt from a brief surge of sales on Xbox marketplace for a six year old game, how is that not relevant?

No publisher should turn their nose up at that unless they were already planning to release a remaster.

Because the "small jolt" is nothing more than a rounding error. TT already know Red dead is popular and a sequel is heavily requested, but this isn't going to change any plans for the franchise.

As I said, it's great PR for the BC program and might get another pub to grant another popular game, but alot of games are being kept off the service because of licensing costs, including middleware.

The reaction to red dead won't change that.

LiK

I double dipped the digital version since it's only $8 right now. will like revisiting it on XOne.

Nephtes

Some prefer to buy physical copies, or don't have the best connections,l.

Don't forget used prices, they can be found much cheaper than marketplace.

The disc does nothing in this case for download speed.

The way backwards compatibility works on XOne is when you put the 360 disc in your XOne,it downloads a backwards compatible copy of the game from the Xbox store...Nothing comes from the disc but the rights to play the game...

So you're still playing a digital copy, but now you have the disadvantage of needing to swap discs when you want to play something else...

RootCause

The disc does nothing in this case for download speed.

The way backwards compatibility works on XOne is when you put the 360 disc in your XOne,it downloads a backwards compatible copy of the game from the Xbox store...Nothing comes from the disc but the rights to play the game...

So you're still playing a digital copy, but now you have the disadvantage of needing to swap discs when you want to play something else...
Wait, so it doesn't install the game from the disc? Like the 360 does?

If that's the case, then people just want the physical copy. Not really surprised.

I would love to be able to permanently retire/sell my 360, so it would be great if other publishers took note and let their titles become backwards compatible.

Wait, so it doesn't install the game from the disc? Like the 360 does?

If that's the case, then people just want the physical copy. Not really surprised.

Nah, when you put the disc in, it downloads a digital version of the game and the disc acts as authentication.

I think it makes a lot more sense to buy the digital version for $8 than Amazon's $20 retail version, but yeah people have motives for buying on Amazon, maybe with gift cards, Amazon credit, or buying something used where it might be even less. Coupled with the last-century phobia of digital, I think it's fair.

_Legacy_

I never played RDR, I'll pick it up on BC. Thank God for MS BC, it's a godsend. I also missed XCom last gen and just finished it last night, thanks to GWG, great game.

Dude I'm worried about you.

Haha...it was more of where I was in my life at the time. My son wasn't a year old yet, and my gaming time was very limited. All I wanted to do was jump into the story, not follow someone around hunting (or whatever it was, I really don't remember). Same thing with GTA IV...after "NIko! It's your cousin, take me bowling" happened over and over again I gave up.

Now, my kids are older, and I can appreciate these games for what they are. For example, I just bought The Witcher 3 yesterday ($30!!!) and played for a few hours doing side quests and exploring. I'm looking forward to RDR.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
When the tenth most selling title a month doesn't even reach 100.000 copies in a month in NPD numbers across all platforms across all NPD retailers - a title at Amazon that sits below tenth place can not sell more than 3.000 copies a day. In fact it will probably take less than 300 copies sold to make 10th place in the Amazon charts. For something in the thirties I expect them to sell maybe 30 copies a day. So maybe an impressive jump in rank, but not in any other way. They sold less than five copies before and then it jumped to something around 30.

Backlogger

I already owned a physical copy of the GOTY edition but grabbed the digital copy last time it was on sale. I'm finding with my Xbox One I'm preferring digital over physical now just because I have so many games now. Plus it's easier for my kids and I don't have to worry about them messing up my discs.

Daffy Duck

The thirst is real, this is selling out everywhere, I checked GAME/Gameseek earlier just before lunch and they had copies available (30+) just gone to buy it and it's sold out.

Top Bottom