• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Amir0x

Banned
ps3-clear-black-front.jpg

INTRODUCTION

LAUNCH DATES:

JAPAN - Saturday, November 11, 2006
USA - Friday, November 17th, 2006

Well, as is custom I've whipped up another one of these threads (exactly one month in advance, like the other launch threads)... to be updated, periodically, with new information as it comes. If you feel something needs to be added, any images that will fit into this format, any information you've got shuffled... say so, I'll do my best to implement it.

The behemoth of next-gen systems, the successor to the throne, Sony's PLAYSTATION 3 looms high on the horizon of the gaming world. There have been a lot of ups, and a lot of downs (a lot of downs) on the road to launch, but there's finally nothing gonna stop this bitch from landing in stores at the above specified date. There will be riots, there will be shenanigans... and there will be GAF, here to suck it all up.

As I indicated in the 360 launch thread, let's keep the KIOSK impressions here. I don't want fifty billion people making "I played a PS3 and made a thread to tell the tale", which happened then. Let's keep it clean, troll-free and a good experience for everyone as we anticipate the PS3.

Let the festitivies begin. And as always, thanks for everyone who contributed to the information gathered here.

BASICS I: SYSTEM/SKU DETAILS

PS3Packaging.JPG

PlayStation 3 Core Pack:

Price - JP¥49,980/$499.99

Includes -

(1) Wireless PS3 SixAxis Controller
(1) PlayStation 3 Console
(1) 20GB HDD
Wires/Instructions, etc
HDMI

PlayStation 3 Premium Pack:

Price - JP¥ Open Price/$599.99

Includes -

(1) Wireless PS3 SixAxis Controller
(1) PlayStation 3 Console
(1) 60GB HDD
IEEE 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash Slots
HDMI

Accessories:

Note: Due to limited information at the moment, this will be updated more at a later date.

● SixAxis Controller - JP¥5000/$???
● PS3 Blu-Ray Remote Control - JP¥3,600/$???
● PS3 Memory Card Reader - JP¥1,500/$???

Press Release

Images

PS3 Blu-Ray Remote
playstation-3-peripherals-revealed-20061010024330901-000.jpg

PS3 Memory Card Reader

BASICS II: SPECIFICATIONS

HARDWARE:

Physically, the PLAYSTATION 3 is approximately 5 kg (11 lb), 9.8 cm × 32.5 cm × 27.4 cm (3.9 in. × 12.8 in. × 10.8 in.)

CPU: Cell Processor

● PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
● 1 VMX vector unit per core
● 512KB L2 cache
● 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
● 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
● 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
● * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @500MHz

● 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
● Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
● Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

● 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
● 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

● Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
● VRAM: 22.4GB/s
● RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
● SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

● HDD (20/60GB included)
● Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

● USB: USB 2.0 x 4
● Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
● SD: standard/mini x 1
● CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 1)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

● Bluetooth (up to 7)
● USB2.0 (wired)
● Wi-Fi (PSP®)
● Network (over IP)

AV Output:

● Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
● HDMI: HDMI out x 1
● Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
● Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

● PlayStation CD-ROM
● PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
● CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
● SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
● DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

● PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
● PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
● DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

● PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
● BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Source, 1, 2

CONTROLLER:

playstation-3-peripherals-revealed-20061010024331104-000.jpg

It is important to note that the SIXAXIS PS3 controller has two noteworthy new additions, outside of the 'home' central PS button, wireless and controller # indicators. For one, it can detect 'six degrees of motion' - thus, the name - and it has no rumble functionality. The controller motion control is utilized in such titles as Warhawk, LAIR and Resistance and offers a new layer of interactivity for those interested. For more in-depth information, read the Press Release.

And as an aside, yes the system does actually have support for up to 7 controllers. Here's an image of the feature being utilized in NBA 2k7: Click

BASICS III: PLAYSTATION OS/NETWORK

Since some features are still being revealed, this is also going to receive updates as we learn the ins-and-outs.

l_ki_ps3xmb45681.jpg

_142a.jpg

_1745.jpg

_1548.jpg

_1a80.jpg

FEATURES:

● Username (Multiple)/Account Creation
● Friends List
● Voice and Video chat
● PSP Connectivitity
● Online rankings
● PlayStation "Electronic" Game Downloads (fl0w, Criminal Crackdown, etc)
● PSOne, PS2 and PSP games downloadable
● PlayStation Store (items sold by real currency, not points)
● FREE Online Gaming (except for Massively multiplayer online titles/downloadable content)
● Web Browsing
● Keyboard/Mouse USB support

OS Key Features:

● CD Streaming/Ripping
● Photo Viewing
● Movie Viewing
● Yellowdog Linux Available (!!)
● Backward Compatibility with PS2/PSOne entire back catalog

I will analyze some of the most prominent features a little later.

BASICS IV: PLAYSTATION ARCADE

Some titles revealed so far include...

Blast Factor - Developed by Bluepoint Games, Blast Factor brings together “old school” and “new school” arcade action. Supporting true High Definition (HD) at full 1080p and taking advantage of the PS3™ system’s advanced processing power, Blast Factor delivers a visually stunning experience as gamers work their way through each specimen, cell by cell exploring an all-new world and gameplay experience. Includes self-adjusting difficulty, integrated use of SixAxis controller, and global online rankings.

BlastFactor.jpg

blast_factor5.jpg

flOw - flOw is the first game ever to come from the university to first-party publishing on a major console. Initially an MFA (Master of Fine Arts) thesis, flOw is a game about piloting an aquatic organism through a surreal biosphere where players consume other organisms, evolve, and advance their organisms down toward the abyss. The stunning graphics and power of PLAYSTATION®3 system set the stage for a truly unique gameplay experience. With an embedded design of DDA (dynamic difficulty adjustment), players with differing skill levels can intuitively customize their game experience and enjoy the game at their own pace. Players can also customize the appearance of their organisms based on gameplay. Includes integrated SixAxis controller use, global online creature sharing and more. Trailer.

flOwlogo.jpg

flow4.jpg

Go Soduku - What needs to be said? Sudoku!

go_sudoku3.jpg

Lemmings 2 - Bitch, it's lemmings.

lemmingsII4.jpg

Swizzle Blocks - Uhm, not sure...

swizzleblocks3mz1.jpg

swizzleblocks4np9.jpg

Criminal Crackdown - Reported to be David Jaffe's latest game, it's said to be a mix of Twisted Metal and Bomberman. This is what he dropped HL for, so it better be damn good!

criminal_crackdown.jpg

Others include...

Gripshift - Includes new levels, enhanced graphics and music and more over the PSP version.
Crash Carnage Ciaos
Wheel of Fortune

BASICS V: LAUNCH GAMES

Launch Window is ever evolving, and I'm sure some shit won't make it and others aren't listed here and who knows! I sure as hell am too lazy to worry about it, so here's a tentative list of what to expect...

* November 9 - Call of Duty 3 - Activision - Shooter
* November 9 - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision - Action RPG
* November 09 - Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision - Action Sports
* November 11 - Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Sony Online Entertainment - Action RPG
* November 16 - Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft - Flight
* November 16 - Full Auto 2: Battlelines - SEGA - Racing Combat
* November 17 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire - Bandai - Mecha Action
* November 17 - Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts - Sports
* November 17 - College Hoops 2K7 - 2K Sports - Sports
* November 17 - Sonic the Hedgehog - SEGA - Platformer
* November 17 - Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts - Racing
* November 17 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Bethesda Softworks - RPG
* November 17 - Ridge Racer 7 - NAMCO BANDAI Group - Racing
* November 17 - F.E.A.R. - Vivendi Games - Tactical Shooter
* November 17 - Resistance: Fall of Man - Sony Computer Entertainment - Shooter
* November 17 - NBA Live 07 - Electronic Arts - Sports
* November 17 - NBA '07: The Life Volume 2 - Sony Computer Entertainment - Sports
* November 17 - Genji: Days of the Blade - Sony Computer Entertainment - Action
* November 17 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - Electronic Arts - Sports
* November 17 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Ubisoft - Shooter
* November 17 - NHL 2K7 - 2K Sports - Sports
* November 17 - NBA 2K7 - 2K Sports - Sports
* December 12 - Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts - Sports

Source

MORE IS COMING :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good stuff!

Some of the features listed under Playstation Network are perhaps a little out of place, but I know you wanted to put them somewhere. The ones I've bolded aren't really network related:

● Username (Multiple)/Account Creation
● Friends List
● Voice and Video chat
● PSP Connectivitity
● CD Streaming/Ripping
● Online rankings
● PlayStation "Electronic" Game Downloads (fl0w, Criminal Crackdown, etc)
● PSOne, PS2 and PSP games downloadable
● PlayStation Store (items sold by real currency, not points)
● FREE Online Gaming (except for Massively multiplayer online titles/downloadable content)
● Photo Viewing
● Movie Viewing
● Web Browsing
● Yellowdog Linux Available (!!)
● Keyboard/Mouse USB support
● Backward Compatibility with PS2/PSOne entire back catalog

Maybe you could have a seperate "basics" section on the OS? And maybe one for Linux? (I was thinking of making an 'official' PS3 Linux thread..)

llTll

Banned
awsome. less than 1 month to go

i am so buying:
* November 17 - Ridge Racer 7 - NAMCO BANDAI Group - Racing
* November 17 - Resistance: Fall of Man - Sony Computer Entertainment - Shooter

also. wasnt FEAR delayed till next year for PS3? i am not sure but i think i read it some where.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I just mean PlayStation Network as a platform... you know, sort of Sony's answer to XBL type thing so I included all things possible, not necessarily that those things require use of the network :p

llTll

Banned
Amir0x said:
Isn't it? I'm sure I read it somewhere that it comes with a wired USB SixAxis controller, but I'd love to be wrong.
i thought its the same wireless blue tooth controller but the wire comes for charging.

there is no wired controller as far as i know

Amir0x said:
Isn't it? I'm sure I read it somewhere that it comes with a wired USB SixAxis controller, but I'd love to be wrong.

All PS3 controllers are wireless. Well atleast the SixAxis that ship with the system.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I was told my local Gamestop will have a Kiosk the 1st week of November. I have no idea how reliable that information is.

Amir0x

Banned
Alright, changed :D

Kabuki Waq said:
so its a seven controller max or can you have 7 wireless + 2 wired?

7 max. Although, I'm sure it won't ever be used, since the controller has 4 lights and I presume it'll be limited. What game will use even 6 controllers, really?

llTll

Banned
Amir0x said:

7 max. Although, I'm sure it won't ever be used, since the controller has 4 lights and I presume it'll be limited. What game will use even 6 controllers, really?

winning eleven, madden. fifa. etc

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:

I thought some sports game had been announced with 7-player support? Not that I'm ever gonna be using that..:)

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak said:
I thought some sports game had been announced with 7-player support?

I dunno, I can't keep up with every last little announcement. If you can find a link, would love to include it just to hit the features one by one :D

Amir0x said:

Winning Eleven fool!

but wait yea 4 lights? how does is support 7 controllers then?

Amir0x

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
Winning Eleven fool!

but wait yea 4 lights? how does is support 7 controllers then?

well, it's possible they could alternate lights to indicate the rest.

aka, lights 1 and 3 lit up indicate controller 7, etc

llTll

Banned
metdroid said:
So close now. I'll be interested to see if the launch hardware has any problems.

from what i heard. the system is really good.

ofcourse you will some bad units. but nothing big like some other console that still has problem till this day.

we will see. i am only worried about the quality of the blue ray lense in the long run. giving the fact sony is having problems to crack up enough good working lenses

No launch thread for the system you're actually buying? :D

Regardless, I'm not sure what games (aside from Sports, which aren't really my thing) could feasibly utilize 7 controllers... Maybe some sort of 'battleship/giant robot/space cruiser' sim where everyone controls a different section of the controls?

llTll

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
? i would like some confirmation.

i dont have link. but as far as i know. for games, only 4 controller you can hook up + another 3 devices at the same time " mobile phone etc " and the last remaining unit is the playstation 3 console it self. which make up to 8. which is the ammount of online the blue tooth can handle at once [ i think ]

EDIT:- SSX proved me wrong i guess. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
No launch thread for the system you're actually buying? :D

Regardless, I'm not sure what games (aside from Sports, which aren't really my thing) could feasibly utilize 7 controllers... Maybe some sort of 'battleship/giant robot/space cruiser' sim where everyone controls a different section of the controls?

Wii is coming out two days after the PS3, so the Wii thread is going up in two days :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Amir0x said:

With 4 lights you could have as many as 15 different light combinations. Thats more than enough to cover 7 players. Pretty much any game that is 4 players could be upgraded to support 6-7 players.

Safe Bet

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Multi-TV Gaming from the same Console?

Don't know if the Cell is powerful enough to do it, but I hope it is...

Wollan

Safe Bet said:
Multi-TV Gaming from the same Console?

Don't know if the Cell is powerful enough to do it, but I hope it is...

No really what I was thinking. More along the lines of you seeing the 'dashboard' on the same TV and each of us control a different area of it, while a screen shows how the battle is going. Good teamwork would be necessary to avoid attacks, strengthen shielding, counterattack, etc.

llTll said:
i am only worried about the quality of the blue ray lense in the long run. giving the fact sony is having problems to crack up enough good working lenses

You are 0 for 2 with the info in this thread. The lenses weren't the problem. It was a global shortage of 405 nm blue-violet laser diodes, not the lenses.

Top Bottom