• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

bluemax

Banned
Apparently some crappy old footage of fl0w was leaked to GT last night and the fl0w people freaked out over it. New official footage of fl0w will probably be up on GT soon (if it's not already).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FECordeau said:
Opening earlier? The Hanes Mall one. Lol. I used to work at that one :( . Amazing seeing them open earlier. Though, I think one of the guys I used to work with is now a manager, so I could see him pushing for it.

If we could have a NC NeoGAF campout, it'd definitely sway me to wherever everyone wants to meet. Since I don't really have any time or location restraints, I can handle Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, or anywhere around. Camping by myself for 18 hours in the rain and cold for the 360 was extremely bittersweet.

Just let me know, and I'll do the same.

Last year, people were lining up pretty early for the midnight launch of X360. With them not doing a midnight launch for PS3, I am thinking that lining up in the early evening might be sufficient. I don't need to be first, but I don't want to miss out obviously.

I will really try to avoid doing this. But if all measures fail, we can try to set up a campout at the WS store. I'll let you know.

Nice thread, Amir0x.

I've been considering a PS3 after learning more about the limitations of the controller of a certain other console I was interested in. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the PS3 now, but won't be able to afford one this year. Ridge Racer 7 looks good.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
FECordeau said:
If we could have a NC NeoGAF campout, it'd definitely sway me to wherever everyone wants to meet. Since I don't really have any time or location restraints, I can handle Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, or anywhere around. Camping by myself for 18 hours in the rain and cold for the 360 was extremely bittersweet.
well I'd join ya, but being that I got a preorder and all, I'd rather not sit around for nothing in my case. :p

FECordeau said:
Ditto. Bye bye NC, Hello Massachusetts or New York. :D
Yeah up north would be great.

FECordeau said:
Yep. No joke. I thought it was at first when I heard about it, then I actually experienced the one last night. There was a 2.6 yesterday morning around 5 am and a 2.4 last night around 9:10 pm. Small "micro" ones, but I know I never want to experience a bigger one now.
Thats crazy, I havent heard about a earthquake being in NC for as long as I've been here(which is over a decade). Glad you guys are fine.

Chiggs

Nice thread, Ami. :)

Question for those in the know: Wasn't the GDDR3 also supposedly downgraded to 650mhz? Mmmkay, Gofreak, anyone?

oh another question...i heard that ps3 is supposed to be region free? is this true? will i be able to play imports without modding?

Kabuki Waq said:
oh another question...i heard that ps3 is supposed to be region free? is this true? will i be able to play imports without modding?

Sony's games are, whether or not 3rd parties are going to go that way is still up in the air.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
Sony's games are, whether or not 3rd parties are going to go that way is still up in the air.
I dont think any games will have region codes. I expect the same as what happened to the PSP.

blu-ray movies and PS2/PS1 games on the other hand are another story.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm teetering on Resistance. is Motorstorm at launch because that is the only definate game thus far.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm teetering on Resistance. is Motorstorm at launch because that is the only definate game thus far.
its dated for december 7th in japan IIRC, no US date yet but I expect on the same japanese date or before then for the NA market.

Bad_Boy said:
I dont think any games will have region codes. I expect the same as what happened to the PSP.

blu-ray movies and PS2/PS1 games on the other hand are another story.

I'm just waiting for 3rd parties to confirm it. Sony's came right out and said their games would be region free but 3rd parties haven't said anything about whether their games would be region free.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
I'm just waiting for 3rd parties to confirm it. Sony's came right out and said their games would be region free but 3rd parties haven't said anything about whether their games would be region free.
Fair enough, no problem with that at all. Just saying I'd be very surprised if all games were not region free. Guess we will see.

FECordeau said:
NP. I don't blame you. I'm thinking about trying to force some of my friends who'll be playing with me a lot to come for a while. Haha. Nevertheless, I'll have one day one. Something about me likes the notion of waiting for it. Seems like I'm actually working for it physically and financially. Lol. Hardcore insane gamers. :lol
Yeah, I know what you mean. I experienced that during the ps2 launch, camping out for hours with fellow comrades trying to get their own piece of the fun. Hell, even when I pre ordered the PS3 at ebgames last week, the people waiting in line were a pretty interesting bunch. It was a cool experience I'll say that much.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RumpledForeskin said:
This thread is like 4 weeks too early.

shockedue3.jpg

Amir0x said:
Well, as is custom I've whipped up another one of these threads (exactly one month in advance, like the other launch threads)...

To go along with what was already said, I'm guessing the lightup method beyond 4 controllers is: 4+1 (Player 5), 4+2 (Player 6), 4+3 (Player 7)...seems pretty simple/obvious

And...Would love to be wrong, but last I looked it was just x1 now on the Ethernet.

Amir0x

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

Darn, and Sony was so depending on your valuable purchasing dollar for Resistance. I hope you jump on that, since you're so discerning.

jjasper

:lol Yeah I have decided on day 1 I will have a shiny new PS3 (60gb), Resistance, Ridge Racer 7, Oblivion, Blast Factor, ~fl0w~, MotorStorm demo, NBA 2k7 (gamefly), and Rainbow Six Vegas (gamefly)

BTW today is the 20th are Best Buys really going to start getting the kiosks this week?

u_neek

Are there any good gameshops in the Hollywood area where Ill be able to try out the PS3 - or the Wii for that matter- cos Ill be there when both systems launch.

u_neek

u_neek said:
Are there any good gameshops in the Hollywood area where Ill be able to try out the PS3 - or the Wii for that matter- cos Ill be there when both systems launch.
bump...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
u_neek said:

I'm not sure about Wii plans, but Sony's plan calls for 15k retail demo units to hit from late Oct. So if those numbers pan out, virtually any reasonably sized game store should have one.

xaosslug

CajoleJuice said:
Has anyone seen a PS3 kiosk in a Best Buy yet? I haven't.

I know! Oct. 20th came and went, no PS3 best buy demo station impressions to be read, what's up with that? :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
CajoleJuice said:
Has anyone seen a PS3 kiosk in a Best Buy yet? I haven't.
my local best buy and circuit city said the kiosks should show up around the 1st of november. give or take.

RaijinFY

SolidSnakex said:

3rd parties wont let their games to be region-free.

Azrael

LOL, the guy who bought like 20 games at 360 launch, all the way down to POS like Quake IV, can't find any games worth buying on PS3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Any word on those Best Buy PS3 Kiosks?

Oh and i was thinking dont you think it would be wise to pre-order, if possible, the ps1/ps2 transfer accessory. I think this accessory will sell more than an extra controller. I plan to be playing FF12 at the end of the month and by nov 17th i want to transfer my saves along with my FF12 save and play the rest of the game on the PS3.

When will EB open pre-orders for PS3 accessories?

Top Bottom