• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone actually have a "Sega Sandwich" back in the day?

ngbbs43dc7dffdac20.jpg

Money was tight for my family in the early to mid 90s so the most I could ever do was a Genesis with a Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 3 on top. I've never actually played any Sega CD/32x games thought I've always wanted to.

Was anyone ever able to actually create this monstrosity?

Unknown?

I actually had a 32X but not a Sega CD. Funny thing is, is as a child I got the 32X thinking it would enhance the Genesis games. I was disappointed when it didn't and never actually got any 32X games. Haha! But back then info wasn't as widespread.

I had a friend who had the "sandwich", he was the official Sega freak because i'm from a country who Nintendo was a monopoly (Chile) for the NES/SNES era.

I tried in my SNES with the Game Genie + Super Game Boy + game, it worked but the game runs on, like, 1 FPS without sound...

mindsale

Wait, uh, did Marky Mark Wahlberg have officially-licensed Sega products? That's within, what, years of him blinding a Korean grocer?

Nosgotham

we called it the sega vacuum cleaner. my friend did this but it was one cartridge taller i think

oh and it was the model 1 sega cd and genny, the ones stacked, not side by side

I grew up in a working class family. I didn't even know about 32x/SegaCD until well into the 6th generation.

I'd love to see this abomination in person.

Moofers

Yo, that's called the Tower of Power. Just FYI.

I don't have all the cartridges, but I've got the Gen/CD/32X sitting in my spare room right now. Many great times were had with that stuff.

Zabka

I had the original Genesis, Sega CD and 32X as a kid. The Sega CD at the time was mind-blowing. Loved it. The 32X, even back then I don't know why I got it. Played about 20 minutes of Star Wars Arcade and went back to X-Wing on the PC.

Krejlooc

Banned
Got my SMS in 86, got my Sega Genesis in 91, got my Game Gear in 92, got my Sega CD in 93, got my 32X in 94, got my Sega Saturn in 95, got my Sega Dreamcast in 99.

EDIT: oh, and got my game genie in 93 and Sonic & knuckles at launch (had it preordered).

And got a Power Base Converter in 92 as well.

Gr8one

I had the sandwich (Sega CD, Powerbase Converter, Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles) but made them hold the cheese (no 32X).

Krejlooc

Banned
Also, I had sega channel

You had to remove the 32X to get Sega Channel to work because it wasn't compatible with the 32X.

Krejlooc

Banned
I remember once in early 96 I went into EB Games and bought Astal for the Saturn and Supereme Warrior for the 32X CD. When I was being rung up, the cashier looked at the box for Supreme Warrior and said "you know this isn't compatible with the saturn, right?" I nodded. He continued, "You know you have to have a Sega Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X to play this, right?" and I nodded. He gave me the strangest look.

lol

I remember once in early 96 I went into EB Games and bought Astal for the Saturn and Supereme Warrior for the 32X CD. When I was being rung up, the cashier looked at the box for Supreme Warrior and said "you know this isn't compatible with the saturn, right?" I nodded. He continued, "You know you have to have a Sega Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X to play this, right?" and I nodded. He gave me the strangest look.

lol

Wait, there were games that actually required BOTH? Holy shit...

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait, there were games that actually required BOTH? Holy shit...

Only a handful, and they were all FMV titles that had already been released on the Sega CD.

Fahrenheit was the coolest release, because it's the only double-32X/CD release. The case came with two discs - one for the sega cd, and one for the 32X CD.

Pier Solar is probably the coolest game to use all 3 hardware. It uses the Sega CD hardware in a terrific way, particularly.

I had the old school genesis, OG Sega CD, and 32X combo. We also probably had Sonic and Knuckles with Sonic 1,2, or 3 plugged in there at one time, but that's as far as we ever got, and didn't actually own S&K.

The only time I ever really made use of the whole package was playing the 32X CD version of night trap. Was neat to see, the video was so much better.

Krejlooc

Banned
Back in those days, slamming shit into your sega console was the coolest thing in the fucking world. I had the 3D glasses for the Sega Master System too, got them the day after christmas in 1988 because my dad had gotten me Space Harrier 3D without realizing it needed 3D glasses to work. That was the first Sega add-on we got, and it's one of my favorites. I can't express how mind blowing Space Harrier 3D (and Maze Hunter 3D, which I also got with it) was at the time.

Sometime between 92 and 93 I also picked up the Master Gear converter for the Game Gear. This was the biggest game changing add-on ever released for a Sega system, IMO. Instantly, my library of portable games went from a couple to literally dozens. It never left my Game Gear slot except for the times when I'd buy Game Gear sonic games. The Master Gear Converter made so many family reunions manageable, playing Fantasy Zone and Wonderboy and Phantasy Star on the road.

Krejlooc

Banned
The only time I ever really made use of the whole package was playing the 32X CD version of night trap. Was neat to see, the video was so much better.

Eh, the video quality was better than the Sega CD, but by the time those 32X CD games released, there were other releases with way higher video quality, like the 3DO or Saturn releases.

Piccoro

ngbbs43dc7dffdac20.jpg

Money was tight for my family in the early to mid 90s so the most I could ever do was a Genesis with a Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 3 on top. I've never actually played any Sega CD/32x games thought I've always wanted to.

I had all that minus the Game Genie which wasn't very popular here in my country.
Good times.

RMI

Banned
Had the 32X and the Sega CD. We sold it all like idiots. I could go for some Ground Zero Texas or Cosmic Carnage.

Krejlooc

Banned
Had the 32X and the Sega CD. We sold it all like idiots. I could go for some Ground Zero Texas or Cosmic Carnage.

When I got my 32X, I picked up Virtua Racing and Cosmic Carnage (and the Genesis version of Clayfighters for some reason). I played the shit out of both Virtua Racing and Cosmic Carnage because there wasn't a really good 32X release for months after. Star Wars Arcade wasn't very much fun, and I could run Doom on my PC.

JRW

Mega-Drive-Mega-CD-32X-combo-1041428.jpg

I had this.

^^^ This is the same setup I had (except it was the american versions).

Ended up selling it all after the disappointing 32X, but I bought another Genesis (model 2) a few years ago + several games (eBay) it also came with two 6 button gamepads (No 32x or SegaCD).

Output quality was better than I expected on the Plasma via RCA composite.

Firebrand

ngbbs43dc7dffdac20.jpg

What's the cartridge between S&K and the top one?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Got my SMS in 86, got my Sega Genesis in 91, got my Game Gear in 92, got my Sega CD in 93, got my 32X in 94, got my Sega Saturn in 95, got my Sega Dreamcast in 99.

EDIT: oh, and got my game genie in 93 and Sonic & knuckles at launch (had it preordered).

And got a Power Base Converter in 92 as well.

lol

Back in those days, slamming shit into your sega console was the coolest thing in the fucking world. I had the 3D glasses for the Sega Master System too, got them the day after christmas in 1988 because my dad had gotten me Space Harrier 3D without realizing it needed 3D glasses to work. That was the first Sega add-on we got, and it's one of my favorites. I can't express how mind blowing Space Harrier 3D (and Maze Hunter 3D, which I also got with it) was at the time.

Sometime between 92 and 93 I also picked up the Master Gear converter for the Game Gear. This was the biggest game changing add-on ever released for a Sega system, IMO. Instantly, my library of portable games went from a couple to literally dozens. It never left my Game Gear slot except for the times when I'd buy Game Gear sonic games. The Master Gear Converter made so many family reunions manageable, playing Fantasy Zone and Wonderboy and Phantasy Star on the road.

...you had a better childhood than me.

Top Bottom