• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone actually have a "Sega Sandwich" back in the day?

Only had the original Genesis, but always wanted a Sega CD and 32X.

For whatever reason, I also just have a intense desire to own a copy of Knuckles Chaotix in box. I still don't have the 32X and the game isn't particularly one that I think is all that great (it's fine, but not spectacular). I think it stems from pawning over the boxart in Sonic Jam when I was a kid. It was such a mysterious game on a console I didn't own.

Reading Krejlooc posts makes me feel the poorest guy in the world, in my country if you had more than 10 games in the same console in the mid nineties you were absolutely rich, i'm from a generation who need to wait to xmas or your birthday in order to have ONE game per year, lol. Almost all my game experiences from the nineties exists thanks to rental.

Krejlooc

Banned
Reading Krejlooc posts makes me feel the poorest guy in the world, in my country if you had more than 10 games in the same console in the mid nineties you were absolutely rich, i'm from a generation who need to wait to xmas or your birthday in order to have ONE game per year, lol. Almost all my game experiences from the nineties exists thanks to rental.

I rented stuff too, and even back in those days, I bought much of my stuff used at placed like Funcoland. And my family wasn't outrageously wealthy or anything, it's just that A) My dad is a huge geek just like me and wound up playing this stuff just as much as I did and B) I was like the model kid growing up. Advanced grade, in magnet schools, made straight A's until my senior year of highschool, american legion award winner, etc. My parents used video games to keep me motivated in school, if I got straight A's on my report cards they would buy me a video game, and if I got straight A's for the entire year, then they'd get me something big at christmas, like a Sega CD. The magnet school I was in encouraged this too, I was getting into computer programming and routinely expressed a desire to make video games, so they thought it was all good for me.

SoulUnison

Banned
I had the Sega CDX, which was a Genesis, Sega CD and a "portable" CD player that ran on 2 AA batteries in one rather compact unit.

It still looked silly when you locked onto Sonic & Knuckles, though.

Also, the instruction manual warned that it didn't support the Sega 32X, but it's really that the 32X was too heavy and weirdly balanced to use safely with the CDX the way the cartridge slot was so near the rear with little structural support.

You could totally get a 32X on there if you built a little support structure out of books and things.

y40038671.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
I had the Sega CDX, which was a Genesis, Sega CD and a "portable" CD player that ran on 2 AA batteries in one rather compact unit.

It still looked silly when you locked onto Sonic & Knuckles, though.

Also, the instruction manual warned that it didn't support the Sega 32X, but it's really that the 32X was too heavy and weirdly balanced to use safely with the CDX the way the cartridge slot was so near the rear with little structural support.

You could totally get a 32X on there if you built a little support structure out of books and things.

They were going to release a sizer that would have let it fit on the CDX, actually. The 32X just never was popular enough to justify any of the plans they had for it. They expected to sell 2.5 million 32X units in their first year, and they wound up selling only 400k.

90% of that tower isn't plugged in because A) A power base converter doesn't fit into the 32X, and B) you can't plug Sega Genesis shaped cartridges into a power base converter.

Thank you for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble. :)

Fun fact, cut some of the plastic off the GameBoy Game Genie and it will work in the Super GameBoy

Yep, I still have mine.

I hadn't heard "Tower of Power" or "Sega Sandwich", I don't think. But yeah, I did this back in the day. Minus the Sega CD, though, didn't have that until a couple years after the 32X.

Kinda weak. At least put an Action Replay and/or Game Genie in there.

I rented stuff too, and even back in those days, I bought much of my stuff used at placed like Funcoland. And my family wasn't outrageously wealthy or anything, it's just that A) My dad is a huge geek just like me and wound up playing this stuff just as much as I did and B) I was like the model kid growing up. Advanced grade, in magnet schools, made straight A's until my senior year of highschool, american legion award winner, etc. My parents used video games to keep me motivated in school, if I got straight A's on my report cards they would buy me a video game, and if I got straight A's for the entire year, then they'd get me something big at christmas, like a Sega CD. The magnet school I was in encouraged this too, I was getting into computer programming and routinely expressed a desire to make video games, so they thought it was all good for me.

Hah, that's really awesome, I'm afraid even with that incentive it was impossible to buy all that stuff here in Chile for my parents in a time even an used SNES game can cost around 80 US dollars... still the 16-bit era was a success here, it's really a weird story.

televator

The proper term is "segazord," mmkay? Let's get that straight. No I didn't have one because my parents were not rich. I had to wait every Christmas to even get anything game related. Birthdays were just cake... maybe a piñata.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This was pretty much my setup in the 90's. Only ever had the first edition Genesis/Sega CD, which required all the bolted on pieces of aluminum, etc... for them to fit. I did have the 32X as well, though sold it all once the PS1 landed.

Krejlooc

Banned
So real talk, I would use my game genie on Sonic 3 & Knuckles after I had my 32X, and legitimately had trouble fitting the entire thing in the entertainment cabinet that house the genesis and the TV.

well yeah, when you aren't taking pictures with the Gameboy camera, it's a live feed on the screen. The Super Gameboy would just display the feed on the tv, and I'd hook a microphone up to the audio port and hit record.

How crappy was the quality? "2006 YouTube video" bad?

TalonJH

I had a 32x and Sega CD. Maybe two games for each at most. Never owned a Genesis Game Genie(had one for my Nintendo and later PS1). I rented Sonic & Knuckle once and basically just played Sonic 2 with it.

That was my last Sega console. My dad did buy a Dreamcast for himself and didn't tell me.

Never had any of the carts (well Sonic 3 but just having that didn't allow me to build the thing any higher than a normal cart) but had a Sega CD, 32x, Genesis combo. I didn't get the add ons until the following generation when they were super cheap. Sega CD was given to me for free and the 32x was $15 at a second hand store. Got all my 32x games from a store that was selling them off at $1 a piece. I also had a Power Base Converter but I'd switch out the 32x for that. Does the Power Base Converter work when plugged into the 32x? I never tried it.

Top Bottom