• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone actually have a "Sega Sandwich" back in the day?

Neoxon

My neighbor from my old neighborhood had the Sega Genesis/CD/32X combo for the Model 1 Genesis, & I think he still has it. Maybe I can buy it off of him.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
8sw61OY.jpg

I just puked it's so beautiful.

no Vay, though? =P

no Night Trap?

Krejlooc

Banned
I just puked it's so beautiful.

no Vay, though? =P

no Night Trap?

Those are my boxed games. My copies of Vay and night trap don't have Sega CD cases, they're in a small jewel case. i used to have a full Vay case, actually, but its case completely shattered several years ago in a move.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Those are my boxed games. My copies of Vay and night trap don't have Sega CD cases, they're in a small jewel case. i used to have a full Vay case, actually, but its case completely shattered several years ago in a move.

Fair enough! I have Vay in a case but I've never gotten Night Trap — I'd like to at some point, for the history of it.

(Man, this thread was basically a Cooljerk beacon.)

Krejlooc

Banned
Fair enough! I have Vay in a case but I've never gotten Night Trap — I'd like to at some point, for the history of it.

(Man, this thread was basically a Cooljerk beacon.)

I've been buying old sega cd games and slowly repurposing their cases. I have a bunch of FMV games whose inside artwork I still have, but I don't have a spare case for them. Like Jurassic Park or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

The Sega CD MMPR game was epic as fuck in the 90's btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMi9XDbI98

This was basically the top of the mountain as a kid. The most awesome thing ever.

j0hnnix

I had the Sega CD and 32x while now I find it insane as a child it was pretty epic to show your friends but we still played the SNES more. Lol

Nerdkiller

Membeur
It disappoints me that the 32X didn't follow the Sega tradition of having plastic cases for its games. Not a fan of the whole cardboard thing for containing games.

And no, all I had was a Mega Drive (I think the name Genesis is in need of an Exodus) and nothing more.

Krejlooc

Banned
It disappoints me that the 32X didn't follow the Sega tradition of having plastic cases for its games. Not a fan of the whole cardboard thing for containing games.

And no, all I had was a Mega Drive (I think the name Genesis is in need of an Exodus) and nothing more.

By the time the 32X rolled around, most Genesis games came in cardboard boxes too. And Game Gear games always came in cardboad boxes, of course.

But Acclaim releases on the 32X used plastic clamshells, funnily enough. Acclaim used to produce their own clamshells that said "ACCLAIM" where the Sega logo was on the spine, so it was probably cheaper for them to just use their already existing plastic clamshells rather than print new kinds of boxes.

goldenpp72

ngbbs43dc7dffdac20.jpg

Money was tight for my family in the early to mid 90s so the most I could ever do was a Genesis with a Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 3 on top. I've never actually played any Sega CD/32x games thought I've always wanted to.

Was anyone ever able to actually create this monstrosity?

Need a power base here bro.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wonder what you called your Sega Sandwich if you used this baby:

A sega european sandwich

Is it true that you could put the Ecco games into a CD player and it would play the music just like a soundtrack?

You can do that with most Sega CD games, they typically used redbook audio. You have to skip track 1, which is the data track. Some games, like Sonic CD, heavily use PSG instead of redbook audio, so you can't play those songs on a cd player, but virtually all of Ecco CD is redbook audio.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
By the time the 32X rolled around, most Genesis games came in cardboard boxes too. And Game Gear games always came in cardboad boxes, of course.

But Acclaim releases on the 32X used plastic clamshells, funnily enough. Acclaim used to produce their own clamshells that said "ACCLAIM" where the Sega logo was on the spine, so it was probably cheaper for them to just use their already existing plastic clamshells rather than print new kinds of boxes.
I've only ever encountered Mega Drive games with plastic cases here, but hey...what do ya know?

It's amazing though that it took Ninty until the Gamecube to decide that they should go for the plastic cases for game storage.

Got my SMS in 86, got my Sega Genesis in 91, got my Game Gear in 92, got my Sega CD in 93, got my 32X in 94, got my Sega Saturn in 95, got my Sega Dreamcast in 99.

EDIT: oh, and got my game genie in 93 and Sonic & knuckles at launch (had it preordered).

And got a Power Base Converter in 92 as well.

Also, I had sega channel

You had to remove the 32X to get Sega Channel to work because it wasn't compatible with the 32X.

I remember once in early 96 I went into EB Games and bought Astal for the Saturn and Supereme Warrior for the 32X CD. When I was being rung up, the cashier looked at the box for Supreme Warrior and said "you know this isn't compatible with the saturn, right?" I nodded. He continued, "You know you have to have a Sega Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X to play this, right?" and I nodded. He gave me the strangest look.

lol

Back in those days, slamming shit into your sega console was the coolest thing in the fucking world. I had the 3D glasses for the Sega Master System too, got them the day after christmas in 1988 because my dad had gotten me Space Harrier 3D without realizing it needed 3D glasses to work. That was the first Sega add-on we got, and it's one of my favorites. I can't express how mind blowing Space Harrier 3D (and Maze Hunter 3D, which I also got with it) was at the time.

Sometime between 92 and 93 I also picked up the Master Gear converter for the Game Gear. This was the biggest game changing add-on ever released for a Sega system, IMO. Instantly, my library of portable games went from a couple to literally dozens. It never left my Game Gear slot except for the times when I'd buy Game Gear sonic games. The Master Gear Converter made so many family reunions manageable, playing Fantasy Zone and Wonderboy and Phantasy Star on the road.
Can we go back to the early nineties and be best friends?!

Eh, the video quality was better than the Sega CD, but by the time those 32X CD games released, there were other releases with way higher video quality, like the 3DO or Saturn releases.

No denying that. But by the time I finally got to try that, it was actually in the early 2000's when I was pawnshop hunting, and well after there were even better systems than the ones you list on the market. I didnt even get a chance to own a 3DO until about 4 years ago.

Seeing Night Trap on 32X CD for me, was just a testament to the fact that 32X Cd games really did producer a nicer, more colorful, clearer, and larger quality of video than Sega CD, and was impressive for the fact that it actually worked and was noticably better, but that's about it. Something fun to try out and look back on with affection, in all of its absurdity.

I definitely did the Genesis->Game Genie->Sonic and Knuckles->Sonic 3 thing. No Sega CD or 32X for me, although I sure did want 'em.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Famicom Disk System games come in really cool little tiny floppy-disk sized jewel cases, actually.
Ahhh, I don't know how I blocked those out of my mind.

It was because the initial disks were exposed and needed some way to store them, right? Compared to the more durable carts?

Krejlooc

Banned
Ahhh, I don't know how I blocked those out of my mind.

It was because the initial disks were exposed and needed some way to store them, right? Compared to the more durable carts?

Yeah, the magnetic disk inside the FDS is exposed. They are actually a bit overpacked, to tell the truth. They are magnetic disks in a pastic cartridge with a small exposed side, which are stored in a paper cloth sleeve, that is then put into a plastic jewel case (alone with the manual), which are then put into large plastic folding boxes.

Piggus

Pretty sure my dad still has our Genesis with 32X, but that's more of a European "sandwich" not an actual sandwich.

I had a Genesis 2/Sega CD 2 with the Game Genie and Sonic & Knuckles, but that's about it. If you hit the Sega discount bins enough, the sandwich would build itself over time.

Only a handful, and they were all FMV titles that had already been released on the Sega CD.

The fact that we had all that this amazing tech available back then and all anyone ever thought to do was make fucking FMV games has got to be one of the biggest travesties of the early/mid Nineties.

BTW, has anyone in homebrew scene tried to make a proper CD 32X game? As in, a game that actually leverages the power of the Genesis, CD & 32X to make something that's actually technically impressive for them running in real time.

I never had anything for my Genesis to extend the height. I heard it called the Tower of Power as well. I did rent a Game Genie and Sonic & Knuckles though, just never at the same time.

Krejlooc

Banned
The fact that we had all that this amazing tech available back then and all anyone ever thought to do was make fucking FMV games has got to be one of the biggest travesties of the early/mid Nineties.

BTW, has anyone in homebrew scene tried to make a proper CD 32X game? As in, a game that actually leverages the power of the Genesis, CD & 32X to make something that's actually technically impressive for them running in real time.

Homebrew understanding of the 32X is abysmal, it's notoriously underdocumented and the hardware itself is finicky. The most impressive 32X homebrews thus far are probably Pier Solar, which doesn't use the 32X at all but can detect that it's there for an easter egg, and DRX's port of Sonic the Hedgehog - several years ago, DRX ported Sonic the Hedgehog from the Mega Drive to the 32X as a proof of concept. This was literally days after stealth ported Sonic the Hedgehog to the Sega CD as a similar proof of concept.

Stiler

I did, at least the 32x, Game Genie, and the Sega CD part of it.

Man, the 32x felt like such a waste of money, I felt bad for asking my parents to get it for me. Sega CD was awesome though I thought. Sewer Shark, Prince of Persia, Snatcher, etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
I did, at least the 32x, Game Genie, and the Sega CD part of it.

Man, the 32x felt like such a waste of money, I felt bad for asking my parents to get it for me. Sega CD was awesome though I thought. Sewer Shark, Prince of Persia, Snatcher, etc.

Pretty much how I feel about it too. The 32X never got a great library, and it is by far my least favorite sega system.

The Sega CD? One of my favorites. The Sega CD completed the Sega Genesis for me. If you ignore the FMV games, which is basically what I did at the time, it had an awesome library that complimented the arcadey-style of the base genesis.

Everything about the Sega CD felt adult to me. It's hard to explain, but all the games and soundtracks had this dark, sinster quality to them. The art and advertising of the system were heavy into the use of satin black and blue. It reminded me a lot of laser disc at the time - I would go out of my way to get the Sega CD versions of games that released on the Genesis because you knew you were getting better music and usually a bunch of extras on top like FMV intros and extra levels or animations. It felt like deluxe versions of games I was already interested in. I'm guessing that mindset was deliberate, because at almost $650 for a full Sega Genesis + Sega CD setup back in those days, the only people who could afford it tended to be older. I remember how the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat was hands down the best - it played like the arcade game unlike the SNES game, and it had all the missing animations from the Sega Genesis version (Sub Zero didn't use Scorpion's stance, for example), and it had all the voice clips not in either the Genesis or SNES version (and since the Sega CD had great sound hardware and a PSG chip, the voices were way clearer than you'd get on a Genesis) and it had music ripped straight from the arcade game, and it was uncensored by default. No blood code, they released it as "MA-17."

It felt like, without fail, if you go the Sega CD version, you got the best version of the game. Stuff like Mickey Mania and Chuck Rock II had extra levels, NBA Jam had an updated roster, etc.

And the games that were exclusive to the Sega CD were usually the kind of story driven games the SNES was known for, but not so much the Genesis. With the Sega CD, I could have long, lengthy, narrative driven games like Snatcher and Lunar, while also having white knuckle action games on my Genesis.

As someone who had one at the time, owning a Sega CD back then was awesome.

The 32x unlocked Davey Boy Smith for Royal Rumble on the Genesis, making it the single greatest console add-on ever created.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Had a first gen Sega Mega Drive & 32X with Sonic & knuckles.
Never had the Mega CD.
But looking back now I thankful for my mother for getting me a 32X as it wasn't cheap for her but she got it anyway plus several games.

Ryde3

I never had Sega as a young kid when it was new, but when I was like 10 playing N64 a neighbour have me that genesis/cd combo console - maybe played it once. Pretty cool though, still have it.

Never seen all the games stacked like that before.

Krejlooc

Banned
I remember the day I got my sega CD, I played Sonic CD all day long. I beat the game the day I got it (although, being Sonic CD, it had insanely high replay value). But what stands out in my mind is midway through the day, my dad was dying to try Sewer Shark, and convinced me around lunch time to switch games. Sewer Shark blew him away - this was Christmas Day in 1993 and my brother had gotten a stereo system with huge speakers and we had the Sega CD and his stereo hooked up to the big screen TV in the front room. The combination of deep, impactful music and full motion video amazed him. I admit I liked the game too - sewer shark is far and away my favorite FMV game, but after I played to the point where I died a few times (and after my dad tried it a few times) I immediately returned to Sonic CD.

Man, my first go through Sonic CD was amazing, by far the best Sonic game IMO.

Ensoul

I had the sega CD (which pretty much ended up being a waste of 300 bucks for me because there was only a small handful of decent games) I never bought the 32x because of how badly I felt burned from the sega CD. Turns out I made the right move because the 32x made a whole 40 games and almost all of them were awful.

My cousin however had the whole sandwich.

I had a 32x. It's amongst the most disappointing consoles of all time, but playing Star Wars arcade in coop was a trip at the time. I had always wanted to play Kolibri - a hummingbird shooter believe it or not - but never had the chance at the time. Recently had the opportunity, and it's a real strange but pretty awesome piece of work

Was really the beginning of the end times for Sega - just showed how totally unfocused and directionless they were. By the time they finally got it back together with the DC, it was too late.

For the life of me I can't understand why someone at the company can't recognize and develop all the value they have in all their glorious IPs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never played SG-1000 games on native hardware but I'd rate the 32x ahead of the SG-1000. Just barely.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've never played SG-1000 games on native hardware but I'd rate the 32x ahead of the SG-1000. Just barely.

Well, it wouldn't be much work to get the colecovision and MSX libraries running on the SG-1000, which gives it a huge edge over the 32X.

Top Bottom