• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme Gravity Rage "a game similar to F-Zero GX" KICKSTARTER

dickroach

Kickstarter page

m80LDXm.png
eyN3uDG.png
VxFGmm4.png

Trailer
€135,000 goal. Campaign ends on September 5th.
May 2017 ETA. PS4, XB1, WiiU, PC.

The game will contain modes like:

"Grand Prix"

Race for the championship on 5 different cups, each with 4 race tracks.
Eliminate your arch-enemy and become the champion of the galaxy.

"Gravity Rage"

Gravity Rage is a mode where you have to eliminate your opponents. Either by pushing them down the track or by attacking them. The last one on the track wins!

"Team Battle"

Race as team. Each team consists of 8 racers. The team who has won more points after a certain amount of races, wins!

The game will support online multiplayer for up to 16 player.

Split-screen for up to 4 player will be supported aswell.

And more modes to come!

looks pretty darn cool, and I know there's a ton of F-Zero fans on GAF. just saw it on reddit, figured I'd throw it up on here.

Tadaima

That's F-Zero GX alright.

Looks not bad for pre-alpha!

It's almost a carbon copy though, so I wonder how Nintendo will react?

Trojan X

Banned
Not really. It's a generic looking space racing game. Lots of them look like this.

No dude, that is a bonefied F-Zero GX. Right down to the starting grid, the electricity when executing a boast, the lighting, track style. It's F-Zero GX.

Now the real question is whether it is a damn good or better version of F-Zero GX despite being a rip off.

Who cares? If Nintendo aren't gonna make a new F Zero, why does it matter if a fan does so instead?

If you are really genuinely bothered by the similarities to F Zero then that's just sad.

What fan? Sounds like you are too bothered with myself pointing out the obvious.

Like I said. The real question is whether the game matches or surpasses or not. If surpass then I'm in.

xlom3000

I hope they add flying off the track. They were whipping around they cylinder reeeeeally quickly at high speeds. you definitely would've thrown yourself off the track doing that in GX.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No dude, that is a bonefied F-Zero GX. Right down to the starting grid, the electricity when executing a boast, the lighting, track style. It's F-Zero GX.

Now the real question is whether it is a damn good or better version of F-Zero GX despite being a rip off.

Yeah. The more I look at it the more I think you're right. Let's hope its great.

Madao

I hope they add flying off the track. They were whipping around they cylinder reeeeeally quickly at high speeds. you definitely would've thrown yourself off the track doing that in GX.

not really. it's hard to fall from a cylinder in GX. you have to be trying to fall off.

now, if it was F-Zero X, falling off a cylinder is super easy in that game.

on topic, something like this will need more to convince me. the reason the F-Zero games are still remembered is because of how they play.

TimmiT

Oh jeez, this kinda seems like straight up plagiarism. Nintendo could send a DMCA takedown to this and I would completely understand why.

i'm wary of kickstarting something that's so much of a copy, but if they manage to dodge copyright claims long enough to release this in a form that resembles f-zero gx, i'll buy it at release

maybe they can get away with a pc version, but nintendo might be more concerned about it releasing on competitors' platforms

Trojan X

Banned
i'm wary of kickstarting something that's so much of a copy, but if they manage to dodge copyright claims long enough to release this in a form that resembles f-zero gx, i'll buy it at release

maybe they can get away with a pc version, but nintendo might be more concerned about it releasing on competitors' platforms

I think they can avoid if it they can do not replicate any of the ships and characters.

If I was the creator, I will definitely change the electricity boast idea and come up with something else for that's F-Zero GX true and through. The less graphical signatures of F-Zero GX, the better.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How is it possible no futuristic racer nails track design and atmosphere like F-Zero? The tracks from this video look uninspired as fuck :/ You can basically see the "omg we need a water tunnel, don't care what the rest of the track looks like" thinking.

Ionic

I love the look of this. It seems this emulates the gameplay of F-Zero GX better than any of these new futuristic racers I've seen. Everybody tries to be a mix of F-Zero and Wipeout however I was never big on Wipeout but love the gameplay of GX. I prefer horizontal movement to practically feel like strafing which is what GX feels like to me and that's what this looks like too. Seems like they pretty much just got tired of Nintendo never making a sequel and did it themselves in every respect. I like it. However I worry the (relatively) high entry price will absolutely stop this Kickstarter from succeeding.

Xater

You can't copyright gameplay, so there is actually nothing to worry about.

Definitely a F-Zero GX clone. Looks great for pre-alpha. The car handling is the biggest concern. Seems "too responsive" in a sense. Hard to explain, but the way F-Zero cars feel is critical to nailing that experience.

Fredrik

Love the arcade racing genre but this seems to follow the same boring route as so many other futuristic arcade racers after WipEout kind of rebooted the genre, for some reason the devs now think that higher speed makes it more fun to play. Just looking at how twitchy it controls makes me mad, looks like even the devs can just barely play it.

Love the arcade racing genre but this seems to follow the same boring route as so many other futuristic arcade racers after WipEout kind of rebooted the genre, for some reason the devs now think that higher speed makes it more fun to play. Just looking at how twitchy it controls makes me mad, looks like even the devs can just barely play it.
This game isn't for you then. Fzero lives in its sense of speed and twitch controls.

Because we all know Nintendo doesn't copy other games *roll eyes*
Perhaps Blastball is very similar to Rocket League but what other Nintendo games heavily resemble preexisting ones? I mean this straight up looks like a clone of F-Zero Gx, at least Blastball had some kind of twist.

I hate these type of Kickstarters where it's almost a copy of the game that it is "inspired" from. They never turn out fun to me when they do come out.

After the little footage I've seen I probably won't back this.

Fredrik

This game isn't for you then. Fzero lives in its sense of speed and twitch controls.
Neither the original F-Zero or WipEout had the twitchy bounce around the walls problem. They were both fun just by having awesome pixel perfect controls where you used air brakes to take the turn perfectly and save time. Here we're seeing the person making the game flailing all over the place with seemingly nothing on his mind other than to not crash and burn. Either that or they showed it off at the most intense difficulty level.

psyfi

Banned
Huh cool, I'll think about backing it. I really don't like the art tho. Mix it up more, a little nature and industry here and there.

Yukinari

Neither the original F-Zero or WipEout had the twitchy bounce around the walls problem. They were both fun just by having awesome pixel perfect controls where you used air brakes to take the turn perfectly and save time. Here we're seeing the person making the game flailing all over the place with seemingly nothing on his mind other than to not crash and burn. Either that or they showed it off at the most intense difficulty level.

The original F-Zero and GX might as well be completely different games.

Soulflarz

Banned
oh man another f zero gx YEP gimme

but
Definitely a F-Zero GX clone. Looks great for pre-alpha. The car handling is the biggest concern. Seems "too responsive" in a sense. Hard to explain, but the way F-Zero cars feel is critical to nailing that experience.

this, F Zero GX was a difficult game to control, and it was fun. I don't know how to put it besides "the things I inputted to do well and beat the game would confuse the hell out of anyone picking it up for the first time"

mabec

2 things

Not having the video showing first and only using a splash screen, will make this project suffer.

And, i never thought i would say this but... to much neon.

big_z

looks more like a rom hack of GX. it moves pretty much identical to GX and so much of the graphical styling looks ripped right out of it.

Miker

Well, for a clone of F-Zero GX, in its pre-alpha state it's missing a lot of the things that I like from its inspiration, namely wacky character/vehicle design and crazy track design.

Jinketsu

Is this the same game that was shown off in the past with the Blue Falcon as a concept asset and taken down by Nintendo as a result?

It looks fun, whether it is or isn't.

desu

Huge scify racing fan here but this Kickstarter looks really bad. I don't understand why people that want/need to promote something they really love fail so miserable at doing their homework. And doing a proper Kickstarter campaign is really all about doing your homework in my opinion.

• Game looks well like a copy of F-Zero GX, didn't not see much that would separate it from it. Track design looked really average.
  • I hope the same person that did the images for the campaign isn't doing the UI of the game. The graphic for the usage of the money couldn't look worse, one of the worst I've seen in a Kickstarter project.
  • The whole campaign looks rarther empty, I think this whole thing could be far more fleshed out.
  • All members of the team have "worked in the industry for several years". Yet there is not a single listed title they have worked on before, neither could I find many information about them with a quick google search (which does not mean much).
  • 135k € seems like almost too much for me. I am all for realistic goals but based on the campaign I wouldn't entrust them with that much money.
  • The different tiers look weird to me. I have no clue how much a physical version costs you in the end. But only 4€ more for a physical pc/console release? Also it's been a while since I backed something but 10€ more for a console version? Not sure thats gonna fly with people
  • Missing lower/higher backer tiers. I personally hate all these super sized campaigns with millions of extras, still I acknowledge that's a way to get some money and I think it's missing here.
  • What about VR?
Lots of red flags for me.

Well, for a clone of F-Zero GX, in its pre-alpha state it's missing a lot of the things that I like from its inspiration, namely wacky character/vehicle design and crazy track design.

The gameplay seems a copy, and I say thats good when Nitnedo doesnt want to release another and everytime a futuristic racer appear people cry becuase its not handling exactly like F-Zero.

But the music, and the charm of the characters is gone, and that means a lot for me when Im talking about f-zero (even GX got the music wrong though).

Best soundtrack was F-Zero Climax, and is a pity nearly nobody could play that game (and that GBA sound chip is shit, would have love those remixes with better sound quality and instrumentation).

I miss F-Zero GX as much as the next guy but this looks like a carbon copy of that game. Not even imitation just outright stealing the game design and concept. So far this is bombing quite hard so it doesn't look like they're going to make it. It'a shame as there's talent here it's just that it's being pointed in the wrong direction.

Would love to see them work a little more on this making it more original and then re-launch. I'd back this then.

Atomski

Was kinda hoping for Extreme G.

Dude.. are we bros? seriously if I can ever get into game development im gona make a new speed bike game.

On topic though I want F-Zero so bad but man this feels wrong. Theres so many little changes they could do to make it feel like their own but this just seems way to similar. :/

Keasar

That looks like almost exactly like F-Zero GX alright.

And I am not against that at all.

If Nintendo isn't gonna make it cause "they don't know how to innovate it" (but still somehow manage to churn out carbon-fucking-copies of Super Mario every 12 months) I am all for someone else doing it.

AKC12

While I honestly don't see any legal issue with emulating the energy and boosting system, they can be at least try to somewhat original with the art direction. Those purple walls are a straight up copy from GX.

The handling is odd too. Seems like it will never lose grip. The camera is weird too. Not too sure how to describe it. It reminds me of the camera in Crusin USA. I think it focuses too much on following the car instead of giving me a good view of the track. I dunno.

Top Bottom