• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero 99 announced | Available later today for NSO members

CamHostage

Seems super hectic and "unbalanced" (I don't know how balanced a battle royale really gets, they're all just wars of attrition and the culling process can be arbitrarily mean no matter if it's fun or not.) But I do love the repurposing of classic gameplay and game model to do something brand new, and the 99 BR style can be really fun. Will check it out.

I watched the video expecting this to be some lazy nintendo b tier shit but it looks legit. This is straight up awesome even. Don't know how i feel about the skyway thing yet.

The Skyway thing seems like it actually makes this work, otherwise it would just be pure chaos and you would either drag ass in the back to avoid contact or you would bolt out front and race like your life depended upon the pack not getting close to you. The path seems to be an extraordinarily assistive boost (you can go from last to first so easily) so I'm not sure how much of a cheat that'll end up being (seems like perfect timing of skyway would be the ultimate cheat strategy,) but as I see it working, it's necessary for this game to have any kind of fairness and strategy. Otherwise, it's just bump-and-hope gameplay unless you're in the very front or very rear.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Started to laugh maniacally when I saw the announcement. Nintendo cheapness know no bounds.
I know where you're coming from Brazil /s but what else could they do with a franchise that has almost no following?

People say they love F-Zero, but how profitable really would it be to make a big budget game?
Nothing they do can beat Mario Kart, and that audience probably doesn't care about F-Zero.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn dude, this game is hard. Or I’m just bad at it. I haven’t gotten a top 10 yet, whereas I got a 1st place the first time I played Tetris 99.

Nemesisuuu

Damn dude, this game is hard. Or I’m just bad at it. I haven’t gotten a top 10 yet, whereas I got a 1st place the first time I played Tetris 99.
I was in top ten and like 10 meters from finish line when I've boosted myself to death. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The best I've managed to actually finish is 11th.

Game is pure, chaotic fun, but I would rather have REAL new one or GX.

Killer8

Monkey paw wish but the game is actually fun in its own way.

Hope it paves the way for a new full F-Zero on Switch 2. I'll buy this physically if it helps.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Man, I took the bait on all those GX remaster rumors. I really thought it was coming.
Considering they put X on NSO and now this, it would not surprise me if they are moving down this path to getting this game on there. See what they are doing with Paper Mario on NSO, then RPG, then TTYD. I’m honestly surprised they announced TTYD when they did but it’s great.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I've never been too into F-Zero aside from the SNES versions. That being said...

car sliding GIF
play the GBA games, they're similar to SNES but with more content. GP Legend has a story mode too

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Anyways, many people were speculating that the new F-Zero would be this, so it makes sense. Makes me wish I kept my Switch since it looks like dumb fun, the skyway mechanic especially is good thinking.

nkarafo

Meh, why couldn't they make this with the F-Zero X engine/controls/graphics? But eliminate the draw distance, like this cool fanmade mod does.

And yes, i said X, not GX. X has better controls and mechanics for this "you vs 98 people" concept.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The real monkey paw moment will be when Nintendo discontinues this game permanently after like 6 months 😭

I MISS YOU MARIO 35. You were my boy.
We need some people on PC to make fanmade servers A la Wiimmfi. these are 4 games that are going to be lost to time if they don't which suck since this 99 player concept Nintendo has for these games is really fun.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

Played 30 minutes or so. This is fun and very chaotic. Tons of unlocks, i like that. Grand Prix sounds interesting, but there is some grind involved.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Such a dumb move by Nintendo...as if there was a clamour for the 1991 original....you had one opportunity to revive the name in decades, and you decide to go with the very first iteration, when GX or its arcade counterpart are screaming for a re-release....

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Has anyone gotten first place yet? I’m bad at this and need help.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m having way more fun with this than I thought I would! So much I went to the snes game and played through 2 Grand Prix lol. The controls on snes feel better though.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I know where you're coming from Brazil /s but what else could they do with a franchise that has almost no following?

People say they love F-Zero, but how profitable really would it be to make a big budget game?
Nothing they do can beat Mario Kart, and that audience probably doesn't care about F-Zero.
Not really a f-zero fan, so don't really affects me, but they are basically throwing a bone.
Thousand year door is one of the worst selling of the series but is getting a remaster.
Look at what square Enix did with their final fantasy pixel remasters. Are they at least adding never before seen tracks or characters? And if it follows the other 99 games Nintendo made available, they will be removed from the service soon, and fans will be without any games to play again, just like it was before today.

This game feels like the least Nintendo could do instead of the best they could do.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Not really a f-zero fan, so don't really affects me, but they are basically throwing a bone.
Thousand year door is one of the worst selling of the series but is getting a remaster.
Look at what square Enix did with their final fantasy pixel remasters. Are they at least adding never before seen tracks or characters? And if it follows the other 99 games Nintendo made available, they will be removed from the service soon, and fans will be without any games to play again, just like it was before today.

This game feels like the least Nintendo could do instead of the best they could do.
I see. But still, it's a m-me Mario game we're talking about.

Look at the bright side, if it does surprisingly well, maybe they'll put more effort next time.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.

simpatico

System seller for me. Getting harder to not buy a Switch. If I didn't think 2 was around the corner I'd be all over it. Ninty really needs to lock down backwards compat on it.

psilva

I can’t stop playing this. So fun.

No GX is disappointing, but expected.

Can I daydream that they are working on a new F-Zero for the Super Switch?

Sojiro

This is actually a lot more fun than I was expecting, I am a sucker for the OG SNES F-Zero though. It is fucking chaotic, and that is half the fun. The only thing I wonder is it's lasting power, but for the time being I keep queuing up for another race.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is actually a lot more fun than I was expecting, I am a sucker for the OG SNES F-Zero though. It is fucking chaotic, and that is half the fun. The only thing I wonder is it's lasting power, but for the time being I keep queuing up for another race.
It’s fun as hell. I’ve always liked the OG F-Zero the best and man this is making me feel like a 6 year old in 1991 again, so good.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Has anyone gotten first place yet? I’m bad at this and need help.
I’ve gotten it at least three or four times, would’ve been another but I hit the boost hard all the way to the finish line in 1st in one race then realized it was only lap 3 and subsequently got kamboomed 🤦‍♀️

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Mode 7 and all.
What I love is I remember thinking about how big the worlds were when I first saw mode 7 on SNES, like whoa look at that horizon with cities and stuff, I wonder what else is out there…of course nothing at all, they were super limited on how big they could make the tracks and stuff. But now it’s like alright let’s zoom out and have this giant starting area with 99 racers, hell yeah.

Sorry for all the GX fans out there but this is like ultimate F-Zero for me

Top Bottom