• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Shin Megami Tensei IV

So.... I just picked up SMT IV for my 3DS and I can't put it down, the game is phenomenal. I've always been a huge SMT fan ever since P3 and A Strange Journey but the venture to 3d on the 3DS is a delightful surprise. Side question regarding stats... does it really matter what I pit into? I'm level 10 so far and have around 26 str, 16 dex, 12 agi, 11 mag, and 20 luck. I read a lot online that str/dex go hand in hand. I'm trying to roll a physical power build, is what I'm doing the right idea? Is there anything else I should follow?

Yeah str/dex make a good physical build.

If you want to get the neutral ending, you have to do every side quest so you might want to follow a guide if thats your goal. Like always you can just craft your demons to compensate for your weaknesses

SephLuis

Follow a guide for the neutral ending. The other two are horrible.

I actually didn't liked my experience with SMT4. A lot of small things damped my experience but the ending bullshit was the last straw. I finished the game in the chaotic route and I will probably never gonna play it again.

xzeldax3

I believe this is accurate (taken from GameFaqs):

"strength - basic sword damage, minor effect on physical skills
dexterity - basic gun damage, large effect on physical skills
magic - magic damage
agility - preemptive attack rate, turn order, hit and evasion rate
luck - affects critical rate, item drop rate, ailment susceptability; possibly various other things"

The first two were my lowest stats. I mostly focused on magic and agility.

Leiru

Yeah str/dex make a good physical build.

If you want to get the neutral ending, you have to do every side quest so you might want to follow a guide if thats your goal. Like always you can just craft your demons to compensate for your weaknesses

You don't have to do every side quest, just a bunch of them.

Mbrill82

Yes that's a good build and yes it does matter where you allocate your skill points. The "jack-of-all-trades" philosophy doesn't work well in this game imo, it's best to specialize. I think in my playthrough I focused on magic for the MC.

Probably my favorite SMT. Really enjoyed it.

If you're going for a phys build, go for Dex over Str. Better returns for phys skills (plus it makes guns better) and the game really shits out MP at you so you can be very liberal with skills.

Yasumi

Banned
Follow a guide for the neutral ending. The other two are horrible.

I actually didn't liked my experience with SMT4. A lot of small things damped my experience but the ending bullshit was the last straw. I finished the game in the chaotic route and I will probably never gonna play it again.
The neutral ending was pretty disappointing too, honestly. Lots of grind *neutral spoilers*
to just go through the law and chaos dungeons, without even getting a route-unique final boss.

Opa-Pa

If you want to go phys, put stats into Dex/Agi/Luck in that order. Str is kinda useless because if I remember right it only has a significant impact in your sword damage for normal attacks. Dex is for guns and physical skills.

Also all three endings suck, and neutral route is just law + chaos with the extra annoyance of having to do nearly every side quest in the game. So I'd just stick to whatever route your choices get you into.

Don't let that last paragraph fool you, though. Game is tons of fun from beginning to end. I got chaos and then neutral myself.

random25

Gun and Magic builds are the best in this game, especially since physical resistance is pretty common on a lot of enemies in this game.

A common technique to get the neutral ending is
to choose the first option almost all the time during the dialogue scenes.

Biske

The neutral ending was pretty disappointing too, honestly. Lots of grind *neutral spoilers*
to just go through the law and chaos dungeons, without even getting a route-unique final boss.

I used to feel bad about not getting the Neutral ending, but then SMT IV Apocalypse is coming and I have no regrets.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I can't put it down. I will admit, the
Minotaur Boss
nearly made me quit, lol. I kept at it, did some more fusions/leveling and finally plowed through him, I'm now at
Tokyo
and it's getting pretty interesting to say the least.

Any general advice for recruiting demons? I've found that complying, cheating, then ending talks usually works, or a variation of that.

I really wanted to finish this game, but the map became so frustrating so use. I would always get confused as to where I was in respect to anything.

Maybe one day. I did enjoy what I did play of it.

I left the game at 76 hours in 2014. I came back to it last week and I'm now 80 hours in after the VIP quest and have no idea if I will be able to get the neutral ending.

random25

Thanks for all the advice guys, I can't put it down. I will admit, the
Minotaur Boss
nearly made me quit, lol. I kept at it, did some more fusions/leveling and finally plowed through him, I'm now at
Tokyo
and it's getting pretty interesting to say the least.

Any general advice for recruiting demons? I've found that complying, cheating, then ending talks usually works, or a variation of that.

At early stages of the game, being cheap is the way to go for recruiting demons. Don't give too much items or macca. Go with life or mp donation instead. Cheating seems to not end well for me for the most part but maybe you're lucky with that method lol.

Kebiinu

Banned
Started the game a year or two ago at a terrible time. I wasn't able to invest and now it's backlogged. I've been trying to get into the SMT series, so I'm gonna play it before Apocalypse!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still need to beat this game. Was on neutral, quit because I wanted to do those really hard bosses but was frustrating to spawn them and I don't think my current team could match up.

redcrayon

At early stages of the game, being cheap is the way to go for recruiting demons. Don't give too much items or macca. Go with life or mp donation instead. Cheating seems to not end well for me for the most part but maybe you're lucky with that method lol.
Yeah, ending negotiations after a couple of attempts usually worked well for me. It's a really nice choice that the player has the option to say 'you know what, you're not worth that much, I'm off' and have some of the demons go 'hang on, alright then, you drive a hard bargain!'.

Magic magic magic

I was too far into str/dex to turn back and I went full force with Dex (generally 3,1,1 - Dex,Agi, Luck) and loving it so far. Managed to get Charge and my Needle Shots hit for a shit ton. Besides I pump the Magic into my demons, it's working out really well so far.

random25 said:

I rarely give up items but I generally always throw in a cheat 2nd and normally works out for me, maybe I am lucky lol. Thanks for the advice though!

Am I too early to get any good gear sets? I tried searching for "gear sets" in Google but not finding much.

Top Bottom