• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

But the creator, Sean Murray has already spoken extensively about how he intends to update the game moving forward, putting it into the same bracket as games such as Minecraft and Don't Starve.

Talking to Daily Star Online, Murray told us he was "perhaps naive" for suggesting he wants No Man's Sky to have nothing but free updates.

As part of this promise it would see "new content and new features" added continuously to the game, in the hope of building a community of players who would plough 300/400+ hours into the space-adventure for years ahead.

Already, Murray has teased fans by suggesting that the games next update would add " the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters".

But when pushed on whether the game will always remain free, Murray couldn't categorically rule out paid for DLC further down the line, explaining that it could happen if "Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it".

Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...aid-Xbox-One-release-PC-PS4-Review-Best-Deals

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ me if old.

Edit: Here's the previous interview where he says all DLC will be free.

One thing you won't see however, is the studio exploiting that with micro-transactions. Murray is adamant on this point. "We do want to add a ton of features, like we've just discussed: Freighters, bases, these type of things. But we want to do it for free. You've paid for the game, so you should get this stuff without paying even more money. So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331811079576/no-mans-sky-ps4-launch-day-interview

gossi

Sean just tweeted "Awesome day at Hello Games, we're going to make some people very happy with a PC and PS4 patch that's in test right now :)"

Foxxsoxx

As long as they update the base game to actually have something to do besides visit the same handful of locations per planet then I'm cool with that.

Free DLCs until the game is in a good place then paid, but I'm sure that's the plan if they're smart.

That being said.

2999374-8194131681-dont-.jpg

well, that sucks for anyone who was pushed over the edge to buy it on the promise of completely free updates...

hey, at least this way the updates may contain way more meat?

Mathieran

Banned
It always seemed unrealistic to keep adding free content. I figured they would either have to do paid DLC or a sequel at some point.

FinKL

Sean just tweeted "Awesome day at Hello Games, we're going to make some people very happy with a PC and PS4 patch that's in test right now :)"

My first thought was that this was cross-play, but I think it's probably cross-save/pick up and play between PC and PS4?

Lagamorph

My first thought was that this was cross-play, but I think it's probably cross-save/pick up and play between PC and PS4?

As far as I'm aware it's not. There's no online account login or anything so I don't see how you could have any cross-save between the PC and PS4 versions.

Bombless

The game is in dire needs of fixing. I doubt it's anything of the sort or extra content so close to release.

It always seemed unrealistic to keep adding free content. I figured they would either have to do paid DLC or a sequel at some point.

meh, the best ways to approach DLC IMO are how blizzard and cd projekt do it

blizzard?
- free updates, but expansions that add a game's worth of content are retail priced, along with microtransactions

cdpr?
- free small updates and quests, but expansions that add hours worth of content are priced similarly to a digital title

i also really enjoyed how nintendo handled the MK8 DLC

Free updates/content wasn't the reason I bought it, but it's one of the reasons I feel like keeping it. I don't know if I feel like investing more money in this game, but I see why they gotta do it. At least they came out with this now rather than during the DLC's release.

Haven't bought game yet but I thought the reason for the $60 price was that all dlc was going to be free?

I don't think I've ever heard that.

What inconclusive news.

That's the point.

Kalor

I imagine they would do free for a while then paid for bigger things. Similar to Don't Starve where the multiplayer was a separate paid thing.

gossi

Very much doubt it. I don't think I've seen anybody ask for that.

It will be something functional in game, like freighters or base building or some such. There's a long list of things people want.

Tohsaka

Hopefully they fix the constant crashes, that should come before anything else. Losing progress isn't fun.

OmegaFax

The promise of free updates is something people mention in the defense of the $60 price tag. Very difficult to take Sean Murray's word for anything.

I read that as "free updates until we can't". They've already spoken of free updates to come, but there might be grander ideas down the line that'd only make sense as paid content. Seems like he's just leaving all possibilities open.

Definitely curious to see how this game gets supported.

The Peter Molyneux comparison seems to grow more and more apt with each passing day.

Hello Games released a full priced Steam Early Access game, they need to own up to that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The promise of free updates is something people mention in the defense of the $60 price tag. Very difficult to take Sean Murray's word for anything.
I dont distrust the guy. He is a genuine dude, problem is hardcore gamers get up in arms about everything and have been obsessing about the game for years, and it has created a fairly hostile environment, basically requiring someone like Sean to not say anything, but he rather just shoot the shit and not care much. Its causing blowback for them and i feel bad in a way about it, but at the same time they seem to be rolling with the punches and working on continuing forward. There is a reason the mega corps like EA and Ubi act the way they do with transparency and shit.

rainz

This "perhaps naive" stuff just keeps going on and on and every time I have listened to it and believed it, I feel more and more stupid.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Given everything thats happened leading to and since the release of this game, it sounds like Murray is in CYA mode. He may not want paid DLC for NMS, but never say never. There's always someone somewhere with a big nose who knows and will trip you up and laugh when you fall.

Ketch

So he finally decides to temper expectations and still everybody jumps down his throat?

Maybe he learned a lesson from all the internet hate mail and doesn't just want to blanket promise free updates.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Paid DLC would be a bummer for me based on their previous statements, moreso than anything else about the game. I was looking forward to checking back in on the game from time to time to see what was added and the amount of content in the day 1 patch made me feel like they were truly committed to that model.

I dont distrust the guy. He is a genuine dude, problem is hardcore gamers get up in arms about everything and have been obsessing about the game for years, and it has created a fairly hostile environment, basically requiring someone like Sean to not say anything, but he rather just shoot the shit and not care much. Its causing blowback for them and i feel bad in a way about it, but at the same time they seem to be rolling with the punches and working on continuing forward. There is a reason the mega corps like EA and Ubi act the way they do with transparency and shit.

To be fair, in this particular situation, no more than 6 days had passed until he said one thing, and then flipped it to something else. Once again, at least he clarified this, but some people have a right to be a little miffed if they bought the game in the past few days, and that has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual.

So he finally decides to temper expectations and still everybody jumps down his throat?

Maybe he learned a lesson from all the internet hate mail and doesn't just want to blanket promise free updates.

Tempering expectation would be like, "hey, these DLC content updates are gonna be free, but pretty small in scale because our team is small".

Tempering expectations is not "hey, you deserve free stuff because you bought our game" and then "actually, I was being naive...".

Top Bottom