• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

Just putting forth a possibility - what if Disney saw how well the game was selling and came to them to talk about doing Star Wars DLC for the game? For obvious reasons, that kind of DLC would need to be paid since another IP holder is going to want to make a profit of the deal. Of course, that brings up a whole other set of questions, but a collaboration with another company is one instance I could see where a developer who was previously on the "All DLC is 100% free" might change their mind.

Hopeford

While I personally don't mind paid DLC, it does feel a little dishonest. I've seen a lot of people say that they bought the game specifically because they thought free DLC was worth the price tag even if the main game didn't have enough content. Backtracking on that to say that the game might have paid DLC after people already bought it is...ehhhhhh. I don't think the guy meant for it to come across that way, but it did mislead some people and that doesn't seem cool to me. In fairness though, dude basically went "it's plausible" instead of saying that's something they are planing, so no big deal for now.

Tigress

You know what I get out of this? He realized he was foolish to promise that he'd never charge for dlc and make it impossible to do a large update (like a full expansiom) that he would want to do but would not be feasible if they do not charge. He does not want to close the door on doing something like that so he thought maybe if he restated that soon enough it wouldn't be too late.

I for one would rather more things be possible even if they aren't free with this game then only be limited to what they can do reasonably and not charge for.

You guys do realize they do have to make a profit for their company to survive and have to keep things feasible?

Mrbob

The Peter Molyneux comparison seems to grow more and more apt with each passing day.

Hello Games released a full priced Steam Early Access game, they need to own up to that.

But...Molyneux was actually involved in some gaming classics though. In a way he earned the right to go crazy.

But...Molyneux was actually involved in some gaming classics though. In a way he earned the right to go crazy.

Joe Danger didn't blow you away?

I've gotten more entertainment watching this game unfold over the last week than I'm sure I would have had paying for it. This has been a fascinating ride.

You know what I get out of this? He realized he was foolish to promise that he'd never charge for dlc and make it impossible to do a large update (like a full expansiom) that he would want to do but would not be feasible if they do not charge. He does not want to close the door on doing something like that so he thought maybe if he restated that soon enough it wouldn't be too late.

I for one would rather more things be possible even if they aren't free with this game then only be limited to what they can do reasonably and not charge for.

You guys do realize they do have to make a profit for their company to survive and have to keep things feasible?

The base game just doesn't feel like a $60 product yet for many people. He shouldn't be talking about DLC when they still have a lot to do for their game that's just been released.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I would be okay with paid DLC if its something extravagant or essentially an expansion. Piecemeal DLC should not happen with that price tag.

Kinyou

Could probably have dropped that info pre-release...

But at least he informs people now about changing plans, which is a progress

iddqd

The upgrade stuff has been annoying enough for me where I would love to spend 5$ on a big ship / more inventory in the exo suit.

-MD-

The hate is real

Has anyone gone from being beloved to hated faster than Sean Murray?

Doubt it.

Scrolling through threads a week ago you couldn't go 5 posts without someone mentioning how humble and brave he was. Total 180 when the game launched.

Doubt it.

Scrolling through threads a week ago you couldn't go 5 posts without someone mentioning how humble and brave he was. Total 180 when the game launched.

To be fair, he comes off like a genuinely nice guy which seems increasingly rare these days and people like that. I like that. But this past week has taught me to not associate the person with the product so much as they can be largely different things.

What a POS. I thought with free dlc updates the game could become worth the entry price, but with this BS?! He needs to shut up and stop lieing. Regretting my purchase more every time info drops.

davepoobond

What a POS. I thought with free dlc updates the game could become worth the entry price, but with this BS?! He needs to shut up and stop lieing. Regretting my purchase more every time info drops.

Maybe you should wait until they actually announce something for a paid entry fee before calling him a piece of shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kacho

So basically I take this to mean that we'll see free QOL updates with the occasional bit of new content but they'll also be working on paid DLC which contains the more meaningful updates to the game.

davepoobond

So basically I take this to mean that we'll see free QOL updates with the occasional bit of new content but they'll also be working on paid DLC which contains the more meaningful updates to the game.

I think I can agree with that except "meaningful" appears to have a higher bar than base building, whatever that ends up being.

Stop being so rational and get preparing death threats like everyone else in here.

Oppo

Sean just tweeted "Awesome day at Hello Games, we're going to make some people very happy with a PC and PS4 patch that's in test right now :)"

I wonder if he means the antialiasing and cloud tech he referenced earlier. Hopefully increased draw distance if possible.

and with that I will leave, as usual these threads turn to bile. can't really talk about NMS on GAF without wading through the constant sniping (well apart from the OT which has been mostly civil), it's a bummer.

Or they could pull a Harmonix and sell the online multiplayer.

Kacho

I think I can agree with that except "meaningful" appears to have a higher bar than base building, whatever that ends up being.

I still don't quite get the appeal of base building in a game where you're constantly pushing forward. Perhaps it'll make more sense when they detail it.

Griss

The free updates were definitely the last push over the edge to buy the game.

This guy... he has known all the buttons to push from the start. He appears to have no scruples when it comes to selling this game at all.

I still don't quite get the appeal of base building in a game where you're constantly pushing forward. Perhaps it'll make more sense when they detail it.

For one thing, It'll stave off the repetition, giving you a reason, or a quest of sorts, to farm and explore. Some need it more than others, like myself, and I had way more fun building a crashed ship than mindlessly wandering around or hopping from the same station to station.

It might be possible to take that base with you, in a way. Maybe with some space magic or whatever.

gunstarhero

They're a small studio, so I'm all for supporting them with paid dlc - can't realistically expect a team that size to spend their time making free dlc.

Illucio

Banned
I feel like if he does come out with paid DLC with no free content that would be a huge bait and switch. Let alone the last straw with some people who will finally sue Hello Games for false advertising their product :/ (We all know it's going to happen and they do have a lot against them.)

I like the game, I definitely do see potential in free DLC. Problem being most people won't be playing this game much longer due to the small amount of things to even do other then explore.

They have this huge universe to work with. Now it's time to fill it with a ton of things to do and just maybe this will be a good roleplaying game.

edit:

They're a small studio, so I'm all for supporting them with paid dlc - can't realistically expect a team that size to spend their time making free dlc.

Don't say that now. The game is the 2nd fastest selling PS4 game of all time (just behind Uncharted 4) let alone PC sales. Not to mention lifetime sales of the game if they DO make free DLC creating interest to continue selling the game.

They have the time and money to make more content for the game.

and with that I will leave, as usual these threads turn to bile. can't really talk about NMS on GAF without wading through the constant sniping (well apart from the OT which has been mostly civil), it's a bummer.

Some people take criticism of NMS like everyone is just throwing a hate party. I think UncleSporky said it best when it comes to criticism for No Man's Sky:

What is up with this incredible hyperbole?

Look, if someone says something like...I dunno, "the game is basically a walking simulator," why would you associate the strongest possible language with that sort of criticism? You're projecting. You're equating "walking simulator" with "fucking garbage" when in fact "fucking garbage" was not said.

When the mildest of criticism is equated with the worst possible thing that can be said about a product, you demonstrate that you're over-attached to that particular entertainment product, as well as thin-skinned, or a poor reader at the very least.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did they grow, get bought or something? Not following you.

I think it's more along the lines, it's a small studio comprised of ~15 people charging the same amount of money for their game as a studio with ~100+ people. If you want to charge the same as a big studio, the criticism comes with it. Math doesn't add up to give them such defense.

JP

As with any DLC it depends on the content and price for me. I always expected DLC for this to be a bit like Minecraft, there was loads of paid content for the game but it was always the free updates that had all the important stuff, the things that I would have actually been happy to spend money on.

The other day i was literally trying to pursuade myself into feeling better about my NMS purchase. I said to myself "i'll just come back to it when they have added more content" as i closed the game after being so bored by it with a playtime of about 5 hours. And now this....? NMS is becoming worse of a purchase for me than when i picked up destiny at launch. Fucks sake. It keeps happening...

It always seemed unrealistic to keep adding free content. I figured they would either have to do paid DLC or a sequel at some point.

Yeah, maybe in 2006 I would have been shocked, but in 2016 I expect DLC to be paid. I don't expect games to have extended lives for free anymore, though I once fancied the idea.

If I don't want it, I won't pay for it.
If it's free, I'll check it out if I have time. If that doesn't rule out some being paid, that's fine too. I'm not entitled to anything special from Hello Games.
They have to run a smart business in order to keep making games.

Top Bottom