• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

~Kinggi~

Banned
To be fair, in this particular situation, no more than 6 days had passed until he said one thing, and then flipped it to something else. Once again, at least he clarified this, but some people have a right to be a little miffed if they bought the game in the past few days, and that has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual.

He is just elaborating on why it was probably stupid to say 'oh yeah the game will get major free updates till the end of time'. I mean all im gathering from his current statement is there are def gonna be a bunch of free updates for the foreseeable future, but if like 2 years from now they run into financial trouble it wouldnt make sense to not charge for a mjor expansion that they couldnt afford otherwise. Once again gamers just going batshit on every word said.

Risible

I debated on picking this game up, but with every new update I'm like

matrix.gif

fernoca

As he says, he was a bit naive in saying everything would be free. Even in games like Burnout Paradise were all DLC was free...they started releasing paid DLC.

The intention is one thing, but the reality is another. There comes a time were they'll need resources to not only pay for the extra work, but also justify it.

jeffram

As long as the scope of what he intended to be free remains free, I don't have a problem if paid DLC makes sense for the game.

Murray told us he was "perhaps naive" for suggesting he wants No Man's Sky to have nothing but free updates.
Seems like his life story so far. Stop saying things if you don't mean them. You're the PR for your own game. Stop lying to your customers.

Last Friday: "Wow, we've sold a lot more copies of the game than we thought we would. Maybe we should just update the game for free here on out and maybe eventually the game will be slightly closer to what we originally advertised it as."

Today: "Wow, the game's still continuing to sell well. I mean, we could do free updates. But for each $20 DLC we push out, that's a lot of money. Imagine how much they would pay for a multiplayer DLC."

_

Before Release: "It's not about the money. It's about making that game that fulfills the dreams you always had as a kid of exploring the unknown of an infinite universe."

After Release: "Look at all this money."

Can't be since both versions use different seeds for the generation.
Source on that?

As long as there's no micro-transactions I really don't see the issue.

Geez guys, sometimes plans change. :p
How far after release are the paid updates going to roll out though? That's the question. How much of it will be content we expected to have at launch based on other things Sean planned that changed?

Harpuia

Well, OK, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But Hello Games really needs to be more precise with what they say they want their game to be.

I get that they're a small team with their resources spread paper thin, so marketing and messaging may not be getting the attention and care it should be, but something like this could've been avoided if they said from the get go "I don't know to be honest, the future is foggy but we'll see how it goes, paid DLC or otherwise".

He is just elaborating on why it was probably stupid to say 'oh yeah the game will get major free updates till the end of time'. I mean all im gathering from his current statement is there are def gonna be a bunch of free updates for the foreseeable future, but if like 2 years from now they run into financial trouble it wouldnt make sense to not charge for a mjor expansion that they couldnt afford otherwise. Once again gamers just going batshit on every word said.

But once again, it's fair for the consumer to be alittle upset when one thing was promised before release:

The small group of coders behind this space exploration adventure has shocked and delighted onlookers for years, so, in some ways, Hello Games' stance on DLC isn't all that surprising. Sources now tell us that Sean Murray and his crew currently have no plans to rejuvenate "No Man's Sky" with traditional content drops. In the man's own words, "This is definitely a game for updates. And actually, content-wise, DLC is less applicable." He then referred to its post-release trajectory as "a constantly iterated and growing feature set." In other words, it seems like "No Man's Sky" will be mostly supported by small, free feature additions as opposed to traditional content packs.

http://www.designntrend.com/article...eals-alien-dialogue-system-secret-puzzles.htm

And then "plans change!". It's up to the consumer to see if they are upset about this or not. For me, I guess it'll depend on the content, but I planned on keeping this game on the results of the updated free content because I don't know if I feel like giving them more money.

This, again, has nothing to do with people being hardcore. It's just people who bought a product and are receiving something different while reacting. I don't see anyone going "batshit crazy" or jumping down his throat. Just memes and a few slights.

Edit: The tl;dr of this is people have a right to feel whatever way they wanna feel about this - either you don't care and will/won't buy the DLC, or you don't like the practice overall. So long as people don't too far, it's fine to discuss it.

To be fair, in this particular situation, no more than 6 days had passed until he said one thing, and then flipped it to something else. Once again, at least he clarified this, but some people have a right to be a little miffed if they bought the game in the past few days, and that has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual.

Tempering expectation would be like, "hey, these DLC content updates are gonna be free, but pretty small in scale because our team is small".

Tempering expectations is not "hey, you deserve free stuff because you bought our game" and then "actually, I was being naive...".

This. Regardless of Murray's character, he's pretty majorly bungled the marketing for this game. Let it be a lesson to other enterprising developers out there (hell just a good LIFE lesson in general), don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash.

"Free DLC!!"

Game sells gangbusters. Thinks of how much money paid DLC can create with that install Base.

"DLC might not be free!!"

Fuck outta here with that bullshit. First rhe multiplayer horsecockery and now this.

Xav

I liked Hello Games when they were doing those small but focused Joe Danger games. I can't be bothered their venture into the clusterfuck that is AAA gaming.

Ketch

Tempering expectation would be like, "hey, these DLC content updates are gonna be free, but pretty small in scale because our team is small".

Tempering expectations is not "hey, you deserve free stuff because you bought our game" and then "actually, I was being naive...".

Tempering expectations can also be "Hey, we want to have free DLC updates but I guess there may be circumstances some time down the line where that's not possible." which is pretty much exactly what he said in the thing.

I mean it's way better then saying DLC updates will be free and then eventually their not without any word otherwise.

I think a lot of you don't realize that he has bills to pay... people to answer to.. if i were him I'd stay off of social media... use a pr guy to speak for him. cause the way you guys think, is absurd... the whole he lies thing is pure bs. when in fact he said it would be rare you'd see another person... but a game with millions and millions of planets people expected to see people in 2 days. so yep i wouldn't say shit to any of you.. get a patch when your ps4 says and update is coming. dude is damn if he do.. damned if he doesn't.

DigtialT

At least he announced this now, instead of staying silent and just releasing the paid DLC down the road.

Now about that multiplayer?

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I think they should follow the Witcher 3's lead with the way they've distributed free and paid updates. It just feels right.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I can see the beginnings of how the game might become repetitive. I'm not quite feeling the $59.99 price tag right now, but I'm excited for updates.

I will say that it is fertile ground for more amazing gameplay.

EL CUCO

Make the game fun, and I might buy it on a sale.

Fake edit: perhaps a was being naive by saying I would buy it on sale.
I meant used

gossi

I think a lot of you don't realize that he has bills to pay... people to answer to.. if i were him I'd stay off of social media... use a pr guy to speak for him. cause the way you guys think, is absurd... the whole he lies thing is pure bs. when in fact he said it would be rare you'd see another person... but a game with millions and millions of planets people expected to see people in 2 days. so yep i wouldn't say shit to any of you.. get a patch when your ps4 says and update is coming. dude is damn if he do.. damned if he doesn't.

In fairness, they sold so many physical copies on PS4 it's their #2 franchise, behind Uncharted. So I don't think they're exactly scraping the pennies together to keep doing updates.

History has proven it's probably better for him to make vague statements instead of definitively promising things he can't deliver on.

I have a simple solution here. Gameplay mechanics absolutely free update like promised base building and so on. And than stuff like some special ships or skins or whatever can be dlc. Otherwise meh loving the game but don't sit there and charge for updates when you said you weren't I'll agree with gaf on this one

Trace

Banned
This guy really is Molyneux 2.0. The multiplayer thing being complete bullshit is bad enough, but really he said "all DLC will be free" A WEEK AGO.

The hate is real

Has anyone gone from being beloved to hated faster than Sean Murray?

Has any one developer had so many lies exposed in one week?

gossi

The Redbull interview may be old. Sometimes places take months to publish, normally at product launch time for most views. It may also not be old, I don't know.

Top Bottom