• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This thread title isn't really all that reflective of what he actually said. "But free isn't ruled out" makes it sound like they haven't made a decision on releasing free content for the game at all, especially when it comes after a vague insinuation that they might charge, and that's just not the case. They clearly are making free content. And let's face it, when people hear "X game might have ____," the internet always translates that as "X game has _____." All the whinging about No Man's Sky since (and even before) the release in and of itself is proof enough of that. As are the vast majority of responses in this thread so far who seem to be taking it as gospel that No Man's Sky will have paid DLC (even though they don't believe anything else Sean Murray says?).

That said, it was decidedly dumb of Sean to tell people before the game released that there will be no paid DLC when he wasn't sure if he could deliver. It would definitely be in his best interest to do everything possible to try and make sure that no paid DLC actually does happen (or if it does that it's very robust and well down the line).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sean Murray's statements procedurally generated by more money!

Nothing wrong with doing anything they've done with the game except the part where he keeps talking about shit that doesn't happen in an effort to sell you on a product then change the channel.

I know too many devs worth their salt that would give their left arm to have the exposure this guy did to cut this asshat any slack. You don't do what this guy is doing. What a shit-show.
This could have all been avoided if the game just entered some kind of Early Access/testing phase for a while - I feel like we all just paid for a proof of concept/alpha and he's scrambling to get it ready for prime time, while people are playing it.

akileese

This thread title isn't really all that reflective of what he actually said. "But free isn't ruled out" makes it sound like they haven't made a decision on releasing free content for the game at all, especially when it comes after a vague insinuation that they might charge, and that's just not the case. They clearly are making free content. And let's face it, when people hear "X game might have ____," the internet always translates that as "X game has _____." All the whinging about No Man's Sky since (and even before) the release in and of itself is proof enough of that. As are the vast majority of responses in this thread so far who seem to be taking it as gospel that No Man's Sky will have paid DLC (even though they don't believe anything else Sean Murray says?).

That said, it was decidedly dumb of Sean to tell people before the game released that there will be no paid DLC when he wasn't sure if he could deliver. It would definitely be in his best interest to do everything possible to try and make sure that no paid DLC actually does happen (or if it does that it's very robust and well down the line).

Thread title is a bit sensationalist. What he said seemed to be the opposite to me. Seemed like he was saying he wants the DLC to be free but if they can't do it free then they'll still do it and charge for it. A more appropriate thread title would be "Paid DLC not ruled out."

Kremzeek

Sean just tweeted "Awesome day at Hello Games, we're going to make some people very happy with a PC and PS4 patch that's in test right now :)"

Good news! Hope it gets approved soon- tired of the crashes.

I've learned to hop in & out my ship whenever I do something, to force it to save in case it crashes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I still don't quite get the appeal of base building in a game where you're constantly pushing forward. Perhaps it'll make more sense when they detail it.

maybe you build up a large ship and launch a fighter after jumping. the base would jump with you in that sense

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well that doesn't line up with what they were saying before release.

Well, things have changed. As they do. Likely because Hello Games is very new to this kind of thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I still don't quite get the appeal of base building in a game where you're constantly pushing forward. Perhaps it'll make more sense when they detail it.

I thought the same thing. This is what I came up with as viable:

1) Building refineries on planets that continually mine a specific resource (or set of resources) and then either send it to your freighter, or sell it on the market.

2) A space station that warps with you on every jump.

Otherwise I don't understand the appeal. The game promotes constant movement, as you said, and you'll likely never see a base you build ever again.

kvothe

Well if they added base building they'd definitely have to add in some kind of teleportation system that would allow you to return to it at any point, then also return to the previous point to continue the journey.

Jesus... some of you guys just need to calm the heck down. The flip flopping opinion isn't really worth some of the anger I'm seeing here.

Walpurgis

Banned
Not too surprising. This is Sean Murray after all. Expect more "perhaps I was naives" going forward, now that the game is out and he has your money.

This is Sean's first public role at a company. He is not very good at communicating and I think is only now realizing that he can't just shoot from the hip because people will hold him to whatever he says. I don't believe for a second that he intentionally tries to mislead anyone.

On this specific issue, I think he realizes now that paid DLC might be needed in the future for the health of the company. On launch day he gave an interview saying they had gone into debt making this game, and so I imagine keeping his people gainfully employed is probably on his mind.

Well if they added base building they'd definitely have to add in some kind of teleportation system that would allow you to return to it at any point, then also return to the previous point to continue the journey.

The only base-building that makes sense to me are obtaining big ships that are expandable with new modules; in effect, a portable base. That seems to me to open up more gameplay possibilities than a building on a planet.

Tryxx

This dude buttered us all with his fake kindness to only fuck us all in the end. This guy has lied to us on numerous occasions. Wasn't he 60$ price tag because he wanted to offer free updates in the future and not paid? I'm really starting to not like this guy. Guess he already got the sales so it doesn't mater.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is Sean's first public role at a company. He is not very good at communicating and I think is only now realizing that he can't just shoot from the hip because people will hold him to whatever he says. I don't believe for a second that he intentionally tries to mislead anyone.
It's kind of insane to me that someone selling a product with such massive exposure - to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of customers, for a fair bit of cash would be so flippant and noncommittal with their claims. You can't do that and not expect backlash, then not comment at all on it. There's no transparency after release, but he was more than happy to talk it up before.

I know scope changes etc but he's been terrible at communicating from the start - those tv appearances in particular. The coy 'i'm so green, we're such a tiny studio!' thing will only get him so far. Hopefully all this gets clarified asap. Money's money.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The thread title seems deceptive.

It's implying that paid DLC is coming, but they might do free DLC, too. What he actually said was free DLC was coming but it's possible they might do paid DLC if they can't put something out for free.

Yes, he consistently mentions multiplayer pre-release but the game has no multiplayer. I'm sure he did that by mistake though.

It's kind of insane to me that someone selling a product with such massive exposure - to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of customers, for a fair bit of cash would be so flippant and noncommittal with their claims. You can't do that and not expect backlash, then not comment at all on it. There's no transparency after release, but he was more than happy to talk it up before.

He's one of the main programmers of the game, so I think he's mostly been trying to put out fires while running on very little sleep. They didn't have an adequate QA staff and now they're paying the price. But it explains why he hasn't been talking much. Hopefully the coming patches/updates will speak louder.

Yes, he consistently mentions multiplayer pre-release but the game has no multiplayer. I'm sure he did that by mistake though.

Really, y'all are still fuming about MP? The MP likely doesn't work because their servers are constantly on fire or simply down. I believe it's more an issue of incompetence with their server architecture rather than that they pulled it from the game. Eventually it should get sorted just as DriveClub was.

mulac

Part of me is starting to get really nervous about NMS and the future of Hello Games because I really do enjoy the game.

The Game is GOOD. I am only around 3/4 hours in but I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and find it strangely relaxing to just land on a planet and mine some materials after work...the potential is definitely there for something truly special and they could carve a very nice profitable niche for themselves - ala what Blizzard did with WoW.

I want this to be great, I want NMS to be a seminal work of art and gaming for this generation and beyond with incremental updates. TBH i dont mind paying for substantial DLC (not game-play improving patches) which expand and add to the experience.

But on the other hand; Hello Games are really shooting themselves in the foot with this mixed messaging - even if they are a "new" company - they have alot of fans who are on their side but they risk losing a large piece of that market if they continue to send out statements contradicting themselves.

Also we as gamers should just lighten up - its $60 ($80 AUD) only. Principle is important but grand scheme...not so much.

Really, y'all are still fuming about MP? The MP likely doesn't work because their servers are constantly on fire or simply down. I believe it's more an issue of incompetence with their server architecture rather than that they pulled it from the game. Eventually it should get sorted just as DriveClub was.
No, there just isn't any multiplayer.

Ceadeus

90$ for this was far enough. Much more than what it is worth. I'm certainly not thinking about buying anymore of it.

Walk, scan, grind trash, sell repeat. Wtf.

The thread title seems deceptive.

It's implying that paid DLC is coming, but they might do free DLC, too. What he actually said was free DLC was coming but it's possible they might do paid DLC if they can't put something out for free.

Exactly.

Let's not vilify every single thing this guy says.

Oppo

Not too surprising. This is Sean Murray after all. Expect more "perhaps I was naives" going forward, now that the game is out and he has your money.

I can't find this depth of cynicism in myself over this. I think they need PR people in the case for certain. the reason is not exuberant devs, though. it's folks like you.

maybe I'm old and naive or too sympathetic, I've seen how the sausage is made up close.

Bullshit, they could have said that as soon as the first GAF thread showed up if it was simply server issues and saved their asses. There was never any multiplayer component, and the data mining thread proved that unless it's super hidden.

udivision

The game has been datamined.
People have gotten a look at the innards.
No trace of multi.

EDIT: Beaten.

The first page of this thread was so very disappointing. People just expect a team of (hopefully) well paid software developers to continue on providing free content for a unforeseeable future. Fuck dwindling revenue, give me more free. Ugh.

Hopefully the paid content is mostly expansions.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know why anyone would even want multi-player since there's literally a zero percent chance that you'll ever meet anyone else to play with/against.

Guessing the paid DLC is Sony's idea more than Hello Games because why does this game even need DLC of any kind?

Was ultra hyped for No Man's Sky a while back but in time, I decided that I'll just wait until the PS4 version hits $20 and then, I'll check it out and if that doesn't happen, oh well, no biggie.

Sakura

If the content is like, expansion pack tier stuff then I would be OK paying for it.
Right now though I'd like a patch for the crashing. Kinda makes it difficult to play the game at all.

anothertech

And yet ppl will continue to buy and enjoy the game. How do Devs feel ok about directly misleading fans like that tho? That's the question.

[Agent]ZeroNine;213778374 said:
The first page of this thread was so very disappointing. People just expect a team of (hopefully) well paid software developers to continue on providing free content for a unforeseeable future. Fuck dwindling revenue, give me more free. Ugh.

No, people just expect content on an initial release alongside a working game.

[Agent]ZeroNine;213778374 said:

Yeah, I don't know why people were expecting that.

At all.

Not a clue tbh.

6QCyLM3.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Talk about inconsistent messaging. I was looking forward to going back after more of the free content was built on, but now I am not even going to bother with Hello Games anymore. Just tell people how it is and stick with it. What a turn off.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is stuff you know well within and before a week of the release of your game. Shameful.

udivision

Don't know why anyone would even want multi-player since there's literally a zero percent chance that you'll ever meet anyone else to play with/against.

Guessing the paid DLC is Sony's idea more than Hello Games because why does this game even need DLC of any kind?

Was ultra hyped for No Man's Sky a while back but in time, I decided that I'll just wait until the PS4 version hits $20 and then, I'll check it out and if that doesn't happen, oh well, no biggie.

Sony's not publishing the game... I don't think they'd just tell them to charge for junk for fun.

Top Bottom