• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover Brooklyn |OT| No Hugs Till Brooklyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS EVENT IS NOW OVER - IF YOU'RE WATCHING ON CATCHUP AND DON'T WISH TO BE SPOILED, DON'T GO PAST THE END OF THE 2015 RECAP

yjHukux.jpg

Coming to you live from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, it's the party of the summer (and not that faux pretending one SummerSlam) - NXT Takeover Brooklyn returns!

Watch on the WWE Network: this event is over now, but you can watch on catchup. If you're not a sub already, you can watch your first month on the Network - including Takeover and SummerSlam - for free!

-----

NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2015

The first Takeover in Brooklyn saw this happen:

NXTTO_BKYN_Photo_003-1872919127.jpg

Jushin 'Thunder' Liger def Tyler Breeze

NXTTO_BKYN_Photo_011-2562140730.jpg

The Vaudevillains (w Leva 'Blue Pants' Bates) def Blake & Murphy (w Alexa Bliss) to become NXT Tag Team Champions

NXTTO_BKYN_Photo_017-1909755663.jpg

Apollo Crews def Tye Dillinger

NXTTO_BKYN_Photo_026-771681370.jpg

Samoa Joe def Baron Corbin

NXTTO_BKYN_Photo_042-2093584325.jpg

Finn Balor def Kevin Owens in a Ladder Match to retain the NXT Championship

And, regardless of what WWE may say about it being a co-main event at the time, in the true main event of the evening in what is one of the greatest matches ever in the WWE, regardless of gender...

aZWxr1z.gif

3yryUGf.gif

lDJaGx8.gif

tn6v3CN.gif

Bayley def Sasha Banks to become NXT Women's Champion

And then, this happened...

SluDEEr.gif

rUUb3Js.gif

-----

And with that recap, here's what went down in 2016.

NsxqQtL.jpg

OEQ24tH.gif

Shinsuke Nakamura def Samoa Joe to become the NXT Champion

An incredibly stiff match in which the King of Strong Style came out on top and win the title. And may have also shoot fucked up Samoa Joe's jaw in the process.

Also: Nakamura's entrance was quite possibly the best entrance in all of WWE this year. Or any other, truthfully.

PWgc7oR.gif

08OtzEj.jpg

INVuwHp.gif

Asuka def Bayley to retain the NXT Women's Championship

The Empress of Tomorrow retained her title in decent fashion in what looked like Bayley's NXT farewell. As for the Queen of Hug Style herself?

JfHr2hW.png

Thank you, Bayley.
See you on Monday <3

OTxfC4t.jpg

q0Wth6L.gif

The Revival (Scott Dawson & Dash Wilder) def DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tomasso Ciampa) to retain the NXT Tag Team Championship

This was match of the night in this OP's opinion. Utterly brilliant.

36iWIpp.jpg

42W8zhJ.gif

Bobby Roode def Andrade 'Cien' Almas

This was a bit of a meh match, but Bobby Roode's entrance beforehand was - what else - GLORIOUS!

JS3HwVN.jpg

uEkihgT.gif

Austin Aries def No Way Jose

This match was a lot better than it had any right to be. It was a great match, in which Aries won. After, Hideo Itami came out. And did this...

pOojk35.gif

Unreal scenes for the man who invented the move (get fucked, CM Punk) and the first time it's been performed on NXT TV (the only other time its been performed: at a Wrestlemania Axxess show before WM31).

3BQm3j5.png

JB6tCUZ.gif

Ember Moon (fka Athena) def Billie Kay

As someone who has not seen her work on the indies, I was immediately impressed with Ember Moon. And her finisher - HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.
-----

And that was 2016. Lets meet back here same time next ye---what do you mean there's two more nights of this in the Barclays Center? What's "SummerSlam"?

norm9

Man the Samoa Joe Shinsuke match should be the Summerslam opener, which would raise the bar for the wrestlers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I was right on the floor for Takeover Brooklyn last year. Shit was fucking awesome.

I would love to go this year but probably can't swing it. Would be awesome to see Joe vs. Nakamura live, though.

Great OP!

Nakamura vs Joe should be great. Asuka vs Bayley hopefully will be great since it's definitely coming off as Bayley's send-off match.

Nakamura/Joe might be the match of the year.

Jesus, August 2016 might be one of the greatest months in the history of wrestling. The CWC, the G1, and now this.

All the potential great matches but I'm still most hyped for Athena/Ember Moon finally debuting, been waiting for nearly a year for her to show up on NXT TV and I think it's really clear at this point that she's going to get pushed to be Asuka's next challenger, especially since there isn't anyone built up on the NXT roster to be convincing enough to be so. I still kind of hope that after her debut the O-Face (or whatever it gets renamed to) gets treated as a super finisher and she transitions away from using it regularly despite how cool it looks but she's been using it regularly since signing and I don't know if there's been any alternate finishers used so it's probably not going to happen, I still cringe at what it could be doing to her hips, coccyx, spine, ect. Either way it better stay protected as fuck.

El-Suave

Cien Almas' entrance and entrance outfit makes it real hard for him to get over. Too bad they have to job him out already.
The three title matches are going to be insane.

CALLED IT.

Ember Moon's opponent at Takeover will be Billie Kay. Waiting for the image to go up on WWE and then I'll fix the OP to include the match.

(actually allows me to fix any typos in the OP too!)

Iceman829

Does anyone know what time the doors open for this? I'm going to grab lunch/dinner with some friends before the event, but we are trying to figure out what time we can get into the arena.

KingBroly

Banned
Asuka should be the prototype for all Monster Heels
- Small
- Insane Worker
- Insane Mentally (not really, but you get the idea)

Joe/Nakamura and Bayley/Asuka are two matches where I'm like 'I don't want anyone to win so they can all be on the main roster'

Ceres

Banned
We'll be attending this live again. Expect a good show but I'm not nearly as excited overall as I was for just the Bayley-Sasha match alone.

Does anyone know what time the doors open for this? I'm going to grab lunch/dinner with some friends before the event, but we are trying to figure out what time we can get into the arena.

Doors at 6 according to the email I received

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I was right on the floor for Takeover Brooklyn last year. Shit was fucking awesome.

I would love to go this year but probably can't swing it. Would be awesome to see Joe vs. Nakamura live, though.

I lied. I'm going after all. Third row on the floor for the second year in a row. Seeing Nakamura live is going to be hype.

Tall4Life

Gonna go with

Joe
Asuka
Revival
Roode
Aries
Ember Moon

The only one I'm really not sure about is Nak vs Joe. On one hand, Joe is barely into this reign, and NXT champions typically have pretty long reigns (lol Sami). On the other, its fucking Nakamura. This should be a brutal match.

Xion385

Predictions in bold

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Asuka (c) vs. Bayley
Andrade Almas vs. Bobby Roode
The Revival (c) vs. Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa
No Way Jose vs. Austin Aries
Ember Moon vs. Billie Kay

Iceman829

We'll be attending this live again. Expect a good show but I'm not nearly as excited overall as I was for just the Bayley-Sasha match alone.

Doors at 6 according to the email I received

Thanks for the answer. My buddy who bought the tickets most likely got the email but deleted it or ignored it. Enjoy the show

The card in general I'm not as hyped as last year, but I'll be happy to see Nakamura and Asuka along with some of the other newer people. I succeeded in getting my friend to do the Enzo & Cass intro last year even though he hated them. My goal is to get him to dance to No Way Jose intro this year. Either way I can't complain my friends got me tickets again this year as a birthday gift.

Other randomness - One friend is wearing a tie and drew a bunch of 10s on it. WWE shop will probably see it and start selling them for 19.99 next week.

Hex

Banned
Bobby Roode has one of the best themes in the biz now.
Hard assed Bailey is just not working for me.

MrChom

Spoiler: It'll likely be better than Summerslam

It's an NXT Takeover, I thought it being better than the actual PPV was a given?

Anyway...

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - Joe wins, but just BARELY, it's close enough that Nakamura keeps chasing the belt for a while.

Asuka (c) vs. Bayley - Another close one, and a send-off for Bayley.

Andrade Almas vs. Bobby Roode - Almas's gimmick and entrance is just...weird. Roode is debuting. There's no way this isn't a glorified squash match.

The Revival (c) vs. Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa - I demand a count out or DQ win for the Revival who then crow about their "victory" while continuing the feud.

No Way Jose vs. Austin Aries - I have no idea where this is going. I'm hoping NWJ gets the win while having "fun" just so that Austin Aries gets even more frustrated.

Ember Moon vs. Billie Kay - Glorified squash. Sorry Billie, I really like your gimmick even though it's Diet Eva Marie but there's no way you survive against a debuting star with a video package.

Are we expecting a Tye Dillinger match, or is his current storyline just....going nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom