• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will the war between Action & Horror Resident Evil fans end? I hope soon.

Jawmuncher

screenshot_4-2kfsh7.png

The Resident Evil franchise is an interesting beast. I can't think of any other mainline series that has the same legacy and drastic changes Resident Evil has had. It's especially interesting the divide it caused between it's fanbase. While simplifying it to just Horror vs Action doesn't cover everything. These two groups seem like the biggest piece of the pie.

Using the last two games as an example. With RE6 you had a breaking point of a lot of people being tired of action at that point. Feeling RE6 was ramping it too far up and losing the horror. While with RE7 you have a lot of people feeling it doesn't have enough action (from what has been shown) and relying too heavily on horror for it's appeal. What doesn't help matters is that both groups having very strong feelings towards their preferred style.

"RE4-6 aren't real resident evil games because they don't have the feel of earlier games" or "RE7 isn't a real RE game because it's vastly different from 4-6, or even 1-3 (Depending on who you ask)". Which gives absolutely no breathing room for any real discussion outside "My RE is better than your RE". This isn't to say we all should like every RE game that comes out. Especially with this divide capcom has made, you're never going to appeal to everyone with one game.

But I do feel that the fanbase in general should have a better understanding on why certain fans like the games they do. No one should be shunned because they prefer the later games to the earlier ones and vice versa. At the end of the day it was the combined efforts of both fanbases that made RE into what it is today. Who's to say that RE would still be around if 4 didn't happen and bring in new fans. Who's to say the series would have a healthy future if it didn't try to go back to it's horror roots.

Both fanbases have more in common than they think, especially considering the fact that they love this franchise in their own way. No one is in the wrong for what they like, and if anything should be argued, it should be how best to tell capcom how they can take care of the divided fanbase they created. I will say right now anyone who says that the series has to be One style over the other (whether action or horror) doesn't have an opinion worth listening to.

This series is big enough, and has gone through so much that it can appeal to everyone in a sense. Will one game unify everything? No, as I said earlier. But there's simple ways of pleasing both fanbases. With action make the revelations series (or a new subtitle), the flagship for that. Hell, originally Revelations was supposed to be the series to appeal to horror fans. Doing 180s is nothing new for capcom. There's a huge fanbase for the Character Action Melee Systems 4-6 provided. The sales and popularity of those games is evidence enough of that.

With classic and horror fans let capcom go with whatever they seem to be doing with RE7. Can't really say much since it's not out yet, but they seem to be pleasing that crowd quite well if the reactions are any indication. Then along with that you have REmake 2 coming, which should appeal to them as well. but I understand where somehorror fans are coming from. They were essentially left in the dark for like 12+ years, but it wasn't the fault of action fans. Capcom for whatever reason just took so long to feel the need to appeal to horror full on again. But even with that, it doesn't make "I suffered, so now it's your turn". As I keep saying, there's more than enough room to unify this divided fanbase, if capcom cares to listen.

I hope it sheds a little light to the fanbase. Even if it's just to those on Neogaf. As I said, i'm not saying we all need to like the same RE games and style. But we should be more unified in our love of the franchise, and wanting to see the divided fanbases (Both of which are credited to the series becoming as large as it has) pleased.

It will never end.

As a fan of the action-style of RE, I hate what they have done with RE 7. I am still getting it though, because I buy every game. But I honestly don't have any expectation with how it will turn out.

P.S RE series was never pure horror to me. 1 to 6 were all similar in one way or another with 4 and onwards taking a more action-based approach. I can't say the same about RE 7. It is relying on jump scares or cinema tropes so far and has nothing unique or special going for it.

Never. Fortunately, it doesn't matter, as Capcom is going to do what they want. RE7 proves this. Sure, they're going back to horror, but they're doing so in a pretty different way. And I'm fine with that.

RE7 looks awesome and we're finally getting a REmake2. I personally think the series is in the best place it's been since 2005.

Probably never. It might die down if we knew Capcom is committed to offering that action gameplay in a side series.

But I mean, even if we lived in the best timeline where Capcom could carry both DMC and DmC, we'd still have shitflingling.

Jawmuncher

It will never end.

As a fan of the action-style of RE, I hate what they have done with RE 7. I am still getting it though, because I buy every game. But I honestly don't have any expectation with how it will turn out.

P.S RE series was never pure horror to me. 1 to 6 were all similar in one way or another with 5 and onwards taking a more action-based approach. I can't say the same about RE 7. It is relying on jump scares or cinema tropes so far and has nothing unique or special going for it.

RE is a lot of different things, to a lot of different people. While I agree that all of the games more used horror as a coating, rather than it's identity. I would say it's still an aspect of the series. Since you can have action horror and such still.

But I agree, in a general sense all of the games fit together with one another. Especially lore wise. It made sense that things would get more chaotic as the series progressed. You weren't always going to be a rookie in a bad location with not much experience.

Thus why I can understand why fans aren't all going to like the same games, since changes are going to deter people sometimes. But it shouldn't build a resentment to the other fanbase who is getting what they want at the moment. While said fanbase shouldn't point and laugh at the unfortunate, and should understand their plight. Especially when prior they had gone through it.

JayEH

Well I think like you said in OP, it would be best for Capcom to cater to everyone. So far they got the pure horror fans with 7 and the classic fans with get remake 2. Now they just need to make a mercs title. Capcom is fucked whatever direction they decide to take the franchise really. I guess it's good they took a hard stance on what they want the mainline games to be but they're still leaving people behind who liked the more action based ones. I guess we'll see in the coming months what their big new plan for the franchise is.

I'm happy that Resi7 has reverted back to its horror roots, but less than happy that it's opted for a first-person camera view in a market where nearly every single horror game is first-person now, and bears way more resemblance to Outlast than anything from the series it's named after.

Draft

As soon as Capcom realizes RE4 had the perfect balance of action and horror, so they stop trying to figure it out again with each new game.

Jawmuncher

Well I think like you said in OP, it would be best for Capcom to cater to everyone. So far they got the pure horror fans with 7 and the classic fans with get remake 2. Now they just need to make a mercs title. Capcom is fucked whatever direction they decide to take the franchise really. I guess it's good they took a hard stance on what they want the mainline games to be but they're still leaving people behind who liked the more action based ones. I guess we'll see in the coming months what their big new plan for the franchise is.

I feel like capcom can't exactly cut out Action. The sales of 4-6 combined are massive. There's definitely interest there, and action garbage like Orc even sold well. So I don't feel like they could seriously in essence, just throw those fans away. Especially when you consider that RE is capcoms biggest title when it comes to appealing worldwide.

When people accept the horror side is better.

Comments like this help no one, and just keep the fanbase even more fractured.
Which refers back to my section about arguments that become nothing more than "My RE is better than you RE"

sublimit

Banned
It's not the fans fault that Capcom has no clue what direction they want to go with this franchise anymore.The more they keep changing the formula instead of improving and building upon its essence (which at its peak is the REmake) the more they will bring new groups of fans but at the same moment they will alienate a lot of the old ones resulting in a war of opinions of what RE's identity ultimately is.

goldenpp72

Resident evil 1 to 6 still carry a lot of the same quirk, cheese, Japanese sort of flair that at least loosely connects them. I don't know who is developing 7 but it doesn't fit tonally with the series at all, it looks like a western horror game to me. The guy you play as isn't exactly in line with the prior main characters looks wise as example. The game comes off as slapping the brand on a game that wasn't related, I hope I'm wrong though.

Bustanen

I don't care if it's horror or action if it's good. 6 wasn't and 5 was so-so mainly because the forced Ai partner.

Really hope they don't butcher Remake2 though, so many memories from the original.

Jawmuncher

As soon as they start making both kinds of games to please all sorts of fans... oh wait.

I would say revelations 2 didn't quite merge everyone together. At least not gameplay wise. I would say with story and tone it did however.
Since it's gameplay much like Rev 1 was simplified from the mainline at the time. So it didn't appeal to fans who were all in for the action gameplay.

Neff

When people accept the horror side is better.

The horror and action elements of RE work in tandem. It's been that way since day one.

Thing is, horror was the most novel aspect of Resident Evil at the time, so that's the aspect everyone remembers. Few ever stop to consider that the first RE has a lot of action in it, delivered with a sense of can-do guile and heroism.

Both aspects are equally important to the franchise imo.

Stevey

It will only end when the action fans wake up and realise that they're wrong.

What they like isn't Resident Evil.

Half joking

Jawmuncher

The horror and action elements of RE work in tandem. It's been that way since day one.

Thing is, horror was the most novel aspect of Resident Evil at the time, so that's the aspect everyone remembers. Few ever stop to consider that the first RE has a lot of action in it, delivered with a sense of can-do guile and heroism.

I agree. I labeled the divide as such, since it seemed the easiest way to discuss it.

As soon as they start making both kinds of games to please all sorts of fans... oh wait.

The Revelations games aren't really up to the quality standards set by 4, 5, or even 6.

I don't care if it's horror or action if it's good. 6 wasn't and 5 was so-so mainly because the forced Ai partner.

Don't play 5 (or 6) with the AI partner. They are co-op games meant to be experienced with other humans. Playing them solely with the AI is like playing a fighting game or MOBA or whatever with the AI and trying to make judgements of quality based on that experience.

I like both... *Shrug*

I do understand the disdain from fans of the originals. I'm currently playing through the original game right now and it's a hugely different experience.

JayEH

Well put.

gelf

It will never end. But there might be some sort of a truce if they were able to make games in both styles somewhat concurrently but that hasn't happened so far. As someone who doesn't really care for action shooter Resident Evil there has been almost nothing for me for many many years until maybe 7 if it proves to be good. My preferences weren't being satisfied so of course when talk of a new RE game is around I am going to state that preference in the vain hope that someone at Capcom is reading feedback from old school fans.

I'll admit I haven't played the original Resident Evil, so maybe it's different?

But I literally played REmake for the first time (and second time, because I immediately replayed it upon completion) a couple months ago and while it has moments of action, it doesn't come close to defining the game. It's mainly about exploration and puzzle solving. In fact, in most situations, it's better to not engage enemies and simply avoid them (which in many cases is a puzzle itself). So, unless "running around" is considered "action", I would disagree.

Again, maybe the original version is different. And RE2 is definitely more action heavy from what I recall.

I get the impression 7 is going to feel similar to the first when it comes to combat. You'll encounter one or two enemies at a time. Sometimes you'll want to kill them. Most times you'll want to avoid them and conserve ammo. I'm fine with that.

I feel like some weird Underworld style lycan-werewolf fusion (can't believe I just referenced that movie) because I love all eras of RE. Having said that, I do think an advantage that the action focused RE games have is that I personally find them far more repayable. With the classic games I generally play through them once (maybe twice with a different character depending on the game) and I'm good for a little while. Anyways, there are pros and cons to both styles.

dab0ne

I don't get it either. I prefer the older style but still like the newer stuff. The only thing that worries me about 7 is its in first person. I didn't care for the other first person offerings in the series but I'm still open to trying it before passing judgement.

Lucentto

Banned
People on both sides have their on narrow ass idea of what Resident Evil is. Every RE released after 4 so far has ranged from mediocre to shit. I don't care whether the game is horror or action focused, I just want it to be good. RE7 however is very interesting, it's tone is different from the earlier games and that's why I like the look of it so much.

rtcn63

Whatever they choose to turn mainline RE into, at least do it well. RE6 was so inconsistent, a great (if somewhat non-visceral) combat system marred by a terrible campaign and backwards design. (I never want to see that inventory system again) I do hope Capcom doesn't turn RE into an Outlast/Alien Isolation clone though. They never did it for me personally, since the core encounters couldn't prop up the lack of scares once you make it past the first half hour.

And I liked Revelations 2 more than RE6. Neither were particularly scary, but I enjoyed the more open-world nature, and return of (crucial) mechanics like being able to customize and hotkey weapons to the D-pad.

Revelations needs an upped budget and improved control scheme before anyone would consider it a proper replacement for the action oriented crowd.

Kazuhira

Fans don't know what they want at this point,RE7 seems to be the closest thing to his original roots but it's not third person so it's not a RE game.
Time will tell but i'm very optimistic since they've addressed many issues i've been complaining for a long time.

MoonFrog

Think Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem have similarly divided their fans.

For Final Fantasy, say, you have your IV/VI (and maybe IX) people, your I-IX Sakaguchi people, your VII-X people, your XII people, your XIII people, etc.

For FE you have your 7-10 people, your 6-8 people, your 1-5 people, your 1-10 people, your 3DS people, etc.

Divided similarly on artistic, story, and gameplay direction shifts over time. (Also on western availability at original release)

OT: I like RE 1,2, and 4. Not so much 3 and 5 and never bothered with 6. I'm curious about 7. Also, 3 was already pretty action thriller to me. 4 was just better horror action thriller. 5 was just action thriller and that's where I got off the train and got entrenched in supporting the original game's style.

Bustanen

Don't play 5 (or 6) with the AI partner. They are co-op games meant to be experienced with other humans. Playing them solely with the AI is like playing a fighting game or MOBA or whatever with the AI and trying to make judgements of quality based on that experience.
Actually I played 6 with my brother and rather enjoyed the Leon campaign though it was average at best. Started playing Chris and it turned into a full shooter and we dropped the game like a bad habit.

Maybe I'll get them on PS4 and give another go at co-op, especially 5.

As soon as Capcom realizes RE4 had the perfect balance of action and horror, so they stop trying to figure it out again with each new game.

The mixture is extremely heavy handed in RE4. It's most apparent in the final area. One room might be a battlefield with tons of cannon fodder, while the next room might all of a sudden be completely isolated from that part of the game to provide a 5 minute low key regenerator sequence. After entering the next door, overblown music backdrops kick in again for next grand battlefield, as if you had just entered a completely different world. It's blatant where the leftovers from the horror beta of RE4 are.

The Revelations games aren't really up to the quality standards set by 4, 5, or even 6.

Revelations 2 is the best RE since the gameplay change and by far the best compromise between modernization and old traditions yet.

The more a franchise splinters styles, the more preferences will be spread. 2D Sonic vs 3D Sonic, Adventure style Sonic vs Generations/Unleashed Boost Sonic, jokey lighthearted adventure Sonic vs more dramatic Sonic Adventure 1/2/2006.

You can never satisfy all those voices when you keep changing the script.

Is there really a war over this?

I like the action REs and dislike the horror ones, but I fully acknowledge RE's horror roots and I don't want to co-opt this series for the purists. I'd love it if the series could be successful going forward by pandering to fans of what RE was originally.

Fisty

Imo they just need to scale the series wayyyy fucking back (looks like they did with RE7 thankfully). This globe trotting, save the world in exotic locales is just getting too silly and they are doing set pieces for the sake of set pieces. RE6 was a disjointed mess. Even RE4 was pretty small scale for all its different settings

Make RE4 without the Island for action horror fans and spin off the Island section for pure action fans. Re6 wouldn't have been so bad if they had a tight, focused campaign. Game was everywhere.

Evasion requires dexterity and precision, so yes, I'd consider that action, same way I'd consider dexterity and precision action in any game.

Man, I wish you hadn't cherry picked that one statement from my post and responded to the main points I made.

Since you didn't, I'll just assume you don't have a rebuttal, which means I'm fairly confident in calling the first Resident Evil a game with less of a focus on action than its other elements.

6 was critically panned and is seen as a "disaster" by a lot of fans, coming off of 5 which was "not as good as RE4". Their options are: try again, or change it up

They hit the panic button and are trying to address fan complaints while also looking at the current state of horror games

At a certain point they are never going to make everyone happy. Just like when FF7 Remake gameplay was shown and people freaked out because it didn't match the imaginary version they created in their heads

The people making these games are creators, they should be making something they're excited and passionate about so that it hopefully shows in the quality of the final product. Dismissing the new one as not-RE when we've barely seen anything is disappointing.

We'll see how RE or Not-RE the finished product ends up, and hopefully the rad action mechanics from 6 find themselves into another game more properly designed around them

Top Bottom