• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City: Tokyo Rumble |OT| Bringing Kunio Back

cj_iwakura

frontimage.jpg

• Developer: Million
  • Publisher: Natsume
  • Platforms: 3DS & Eshop
  • Genre: Action-Adventure
  • Price: $29.99 [US]

Story
Follow the story of a hot-blooded high school student named Kunio and his good friends. When a nefarious gang moves into Tokyo to try to take it over, it's up to this self-proclaimed "fighter for justice" and his buddies to make sure the streets stay safe! Punch, kick, use weapons such as soccer balls, iron knuckles, chains, and even bicycles to knock some sense into those devious gang members. Take on jobs, level up your abilities, and don't forget to stop on occasion for a snack or two at the local food joints. Luckily, smiles are free!

Play as Kunio, Riki, and other famous fighters from the River City series!
Take on jobs to earn extra cash, special moves, and more!
Take a break from the main story to fight in a 4-man Rumble or Dodgeball match!
Take on your friends using Local Play and Download Play!
Unlock new characters, stages, and songs as you progress through the game!

Screenshots
14117929_10154406774463397_7835003170275995098_n.png
13932835_10154358279778397_1559266268102907826_n.png
13876659_10154358279788397_8729057167840864239_n.png

ss08.jpg
ss02.jpg
ss07.jpg

Reviews

Metacritic (71)

Hardcore Gamer (4/5)

River City: Tokyo Rumble takes everything good about River City Ransom and improves upon it. The things that didn’t need alteration, like the easy-to-use menu system and core gameplay, remain. Minor improvements to the gameplay have been made with the different camera adjustments allowing blows to be landed easier than prior games. The franchise’s trademark humor is intact as well — so all-caps exclamations of everything from pain to anger will get a chuckle out of you alongside the wacky facial expressions. Anyone who has ever enjoyed the franchise will love this latest entry and its inclusion of additional game modes makes it an excellent value.

Gamespot (7/10)
Tokyo Rumble does a good job of avoiding repetition in the core game, but asking you to waste time bashing generic thugs can make the combat really start to wear out its welcome. While the main game is brief, it’s plenty of fun, and bonus minigames like dodgeball add some extra charm to Tokyo Rumble. It’s a solid action game with a charming retro flavor that leverages RCR's foundation to construct both a new adventure and a different perspective on beloved game.

Nintendo Life (6/10)

River City: Tokyo Rumble is the epitome of a 'safe' game. While the core mechanics of the gameplay are solid and the graphics are unintrusive, there's little here that stands out as being particularly exceptional. This is the kind of game that's fun to play every once in a while, but doesn't have any characteristics or memorable traits that'll keep you coming back again and again.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I may be in the minority but I really don't like the overworld BGM. Pretty good game otherwise.

Great game, really hope it's just the tip of the iceberg for Kunio-kun localizations. Even though I've imported all of them, they deserve to reach a wider audience.

Opa-Pa

Well that was fast, thanks for this! I recently beat this and surpassed expectations for me. I even started the story game right after finishing it, there's just so many moves to unlock and beating up delinquents with ridiculous moves is both hilarious and satisfying.

Really this deserves all the love it can get, and Natsume has commented they plan on bringing over the rest of the 3DS games if this does well, so hopefully more people will get interested.

I may be in the minority but I really don't like the overworld BGM. Pretty good game otherwise.

I thought it was underwhelming at firs but it grew on me. Then I noticed most of the music is from Renegade and now I'm in love with the soundtrack.

TreIII

It's definitely not quite the most robust game in Million's catalog of Kunio-kun games, but it is still very fun.

And for those who bother to be familiar with the series' characters and overall storylines, it's a nice bonus to see the likes of Misuzu, Sabu, the Dragon Twins and the Double Tigers from Kakutou Densetsu.

My only complaint about the Natsume's localization is...why bother to do something like keep Kunio and Riki's names verbatim from the Japanese originals, but certain names from the original RCR dub like "Tex", "Ivan", "Randy" and "Andy" were kept, anyway?

It just made it all the more odd when Ivan referred to "Saori" (his sister's name in Japanese)...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Reviews aren't hot, but then again I love RCR despite that being kind of repetative combat wise.

I'm more hesitant cause of the $30 price tag in a beat'em up genre that has flourished in the indie space at a much lower price point.

cj_iwakura

Reviews aren't hot, but then again I love RCR despite that being kind of repetative combat wise.

I'm more hesitant cause of the $30 price tag in a beat'em up genre that has flourished in the indie space at a much lower price point.

That's how I feel. I love the GBA game, but it was $15. For fear of sounding cheap, I can wait.

Also still neck deep in SMTIV: Apocalypse.

woopWOOP

Never heard of this version until now. Is this also coming to the PAL zone?

Those unlockable characters are from other Japan-only sequels/spinoffs, right? Pretty cool

Opa-Pa

Guess I'll re-post my impressions from another thread to paint a clearer picture of the game:

Yo I just beat this a couple of hours ago, and had a wonderful time. Game is relatively short (not so much for its genre I guess), it took me 7 hours to finish the main story with many side quests completed but not all of them (maybe 70%?), but there's tons of side quests (jobs) to unlock equipment, moves and make money. Beating the game takes you into NG+ where you can play as any of your party members (you can only play as Kunio in the main story) and apparently there's extra content in there too because I'm missing a couple of character profiles despite fighting every optional boss in the game.

Multi player (up to 4) is only avaible in battle royale and dodge ball modes as download play.

I read critics calling it repetitive, but I don't know. There's so many extra bosses (all of them callbacks to previous games but you don't really need to be familiar with them to enjoy them), hidden stores, funny NPCs, and missions to keep you busy. There's an absurd amount of unlockable moves too, I'm honestly impressed by the amount of stuff you can pull off during battles. Oh, and the dodge ball mini-game is actually super fun, I imagine it must be great for multiplayer.

Basically I thought this was gonna be more of a treat for fans than anything else, but the game is so hilarious and fun that I'd recommend it to anyone that's interested after seeing footage. It keeps the spirit of the original but refines the formula to surprising degrees at the same time.

Also for more comparisons, this is basically an open-world, better balanced Scott Pilgrim game with a japanese high school delinquent coat of paint, I know it may sound silly because SP was based off RCR's gameplay anyway. If you liked the SP game then you owe it to yourself to play this.

Never heard of this version until now. Is this also coming to the PAL zone?

Those unlockable characters are from other Japan-only sequels/spinoffs, right? Pretty cool

It's out already as digital only, I believe.

IrishNinja

nice OP as always!

got my copy coming, just bummed i didn't net one with that keychain

also man Natsume's like # 1 on my list of most-wanted compilation discs, they have so many greats

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Guess I'll re-post my impressions from another thread to paint a clearer picture of the game:

It's out already as digital only, I believe.

I liked the original NES RCR, and I liked SP on the 360. Problem is SP was half the cost of this.

I know I sound like a douche, but something in my brain says 30 bucks is too much.

Thanks for making the thread OP!

I wish I had more knowledge on the Kunio series - if so, I would have loved to make an OT for this game. So glad it's a hit sales wise

Opa-Pa

I liked the original NES RCR, and I liked SP on the 360. Problem is SP was half the cost of this.

I know I sound like a douche, but something in my brain says 30 bucks is too much.

Nah I understand, SP was $15 after all. I think Natsume's reasoning is that this was a full price release in Japan and they probably don't have high sale expectations so might as well charge full price for dedicated fans. I bite because I had lost all hope that we'd see any of the 3DS games in the west so I was euphoric when this was announced.

It's been selling well too, so I'm optimistic for the series' future.

This has been in my wishlist for a while and I have to get it already. It looks great and I've been revisiting the sports games on Famicom and this seems to be a refinement of those.

Koppai

I got this game having never played the series before and I quite like it although it's super repetitive.

d+pad

It's definitely not quite the most robust game in Million's catalog of Kunio-kun games, but it is still very fun.

Which of the Kunio-kun 3DS games would you say is the best or most robust, if you don't mind me asking?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Which of the Kunio-kun 3DS games would you say is the best or most robust, if you don't mind me asking?

This one, but it'll probably be outdone by the River City Ransom remake that's coming out in Japan at the end of the month.

I enjoy this game, I enjoy its music, its dialog, its simple but satisfying gameplay. I like it rather a fair bit.

Its weird, quality beat-em-ups are so rare (and this is one), but more than anything they're dependent on the 'feel' of the basic gameplay, not necessarily the complexity of anything. I won't mind vanquishing hundreds of goons in an near identical manner if that basic action is done well. But I can't really articulate why this game, or others do it well (Shadow of Rome, Streets of Rage 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum) and some don't.

I'd be down for a few more games that are pretty much identical to this one. Heck, I've already got one on my 3DS that I enjoy as well.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I feel the same. Technically most beat em ups are repetitive, but with RCR and Kunio ones in general the combat is so flexible that it's hard for me to get tired. I mean you can just punch and kick everyone... Or dive kick them to the ground, or throw trash cans at them, or throw those same cans with sports anime moves super dodge ball style. There's so many variations to it in this particular game that I can't get tired of it, plus the multiple difficulty options and later enemies having special moves help a lot to keep a sense of challenge for the entirety of the game.

Opa-Pa

How many playable characters?

Is there a list of 'em?

There are 4 on NG+, which are the MC and his 3 AI partners, and them + every single story and extra boss, and some NPCs on the dodgeball and rumble modes. They're 36 total, I believe.

Edit: These are profiles of the main characters that Natsume has been sharing on Twitter

Dragoshi1

Woah dang, I'm tempted to take a dive into it(only ever played the original).

I love Beat em ups, like the Streets of Rage and Golden Axe series, and msot arcade beat em ups.

So this seems right up my alley.

bronk

Banned
You arent. The music is atrocious all the way around imo.
Also I was a little hard on the game at first but after playing a few more hours it's really fun.

Top Bottom