• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jump!!! Ultimate Stars Thread!

Junpei Heat

Jump! Ultimate Stars is the sequel to the successful Jump! Super Stars for the Nintendo DS.

Jump_Ultimate_Stars_boxart.jpg

Genre:Fighting

JP Release Date:11/23/06

US Release Date::lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
When Final Fantasy XIV gets ported to the Wii

Official Website:http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ajuj/index.html

Jump! is like Smash Bros except with Jump characters and a couple of changes...

Jump! utilizes a Koma(Panel) system that is located at the bottom screen.Each koma uses 1 to 7 squares from the deck.A deck can hold 20 squares with a 4x5 Grid.

There are three types of komas:Help koma,Support koma and Battle koma.

Help koma are only one square large. They'll boost up or help players in the game, but they'll not appear on Battle Screen.

Support koma are two to three squares large. These koma will show up briefly on the battle screen to help the player, either by doing an attack, blocking or restoring health, or eventually other actions.

Battle koma are four to eight squares large, and are those used in actual battle. These koma represents the characters that the player controls in the battle screen, and the player can switch between characters by tapping their koma in the koma deck like a tag battle.

The sequel host some new features:

-Tapping the L and R Button can swap out characters without the use of the Touch screen

-Leader system where when the leader character kills an enemy, the player will get 2 points instead of one, and if a character kills the enemy's leader, that player will also get 2 points.

-Ultimate Action is an special power up for characters.

-Characters can now cling to edges and can also dash

-Koma Evolution where you collect gems for defeating other characters(Red for Power, Green for Knowledge,Yellow for Laughter,Blue for Friendship,Pink for Effort and White for J) then you pay X amount of gems to unlock the support and/or battle komas. Each Koma has a progress tree and you can pay into it to get the different koma's you want.

-Wi-Fi

-More than 300 characters from 41 series

The featured series:

Eyeshield 21
I"s
Ichigo 100
REBORN!
Captain Tsubasa
Gintama
Shaman King
Kinnikuman
Kochi Kame
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
Cobra
Jigoku Sensei Nube
Jungle King Ta-chan
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
SLAM DUNK
Saint Seiya
Taizo
NARUTO - TIME SKIP!!!!
D.Gray-man
DEATH NOTE
Prince of Tennis
Dr. Slump
Tottemo Luckyman!
DRAGON BALL
NINKU
Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar
ONE PIECE
Busou Renkin
BLACK CAT
BLEACH
Houshin Engi
Bobobo-bo
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Midori no Makibao
Muyho to Rosie
Yu-Gi-Oh
HUNTER×HUNTER
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Rokudenashi Blues

If you ever have trouble navigating the menu's or forget too many kanji's and too lazy translate(Like me!)Contact Genroh's GREAT guide:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/jump_ultimate_stars.txt

Note:I never played the first one so please tell if I missed anything

Nebur

First game was awesome!! The problem i've got was the lenguage :( Do you know if the game is in English?? At playasia they don't say nothing about that only a few screenshoot in japanese and the characters list.

Thanks for the info!

Amm, and perhaps the best combo ever seen Elite Beat Agents + Jump ultimate stars ! xD

Hey i was going to make an offical thread.. *fumes*

In any case, this game is gonna own!
One important info u missed is that Battle komas can be between 4 and 8 komas (omg 8!)

Hunter D

Nebur said:
First game was awesome!! The problem i've got was the lenguage :( Do you know if the game is in English?? At playasia they don't say nothing about that only a few screenshoot in japanese and the characters list.

Thanks for the info!

Amm, and perhaps the best combo ever seen Elite Beat Agents + Jump ultimate stars ! xD
Why would they have english translations for this game?

Too bad Keroro Gunso wasn't a Jump series.

quite a few of the characters they've put into the series aren't Jump characters -Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star for instance.. its a bit of a missed opportunity with the Gunso cast..I'd definitely have picked up this sequel if they were playable fighters.

The online vs feature is definitely a big factor, but I don't think I have the patience to unlock all the komas(especially without the aid of an FAQ!!). Knowing my luck, by the time I did unlock a decent deck, everyone would have stopped playing online too!

ML

Nebur

Hunter D said:

Sayaban 2 is in english and Japanese ( Japanese versión), Bleach also have some texts in english, don't know if it's possible that they transleeted half or full game but i tink that this is just impossible :(

Aurora

Junpei Heat said:
The sequel host some new features:

-Tapping the L and R Button can swap out characters without the use of the Touch screen

-Leader system where when the leader character kills an enemy, the player will get 2 points instead of one, and if a character kills the enemy's leader, that player will also get 2 points.

-Ultimate Action is an special power up for characters.

-Characters can now cling to edges and can also dash

-Koma Evolution where you collect gems for defeating other characters(Red for Power, Green for Knowledge and Yellow for Laughter) then you pay X amount of gems to unlock the support and/or battle komas. Each Koma has a progress tree and you can pay into it to get the different koma's you want.
- Nice little addition I guess. There have been times where I badly needed to change character but I didn't have time to change hand position and tap screen. Apart from those emergency situations there's no point, especially if you're using several characters in a deck.

- Ohh, very nice addition. This will make for some intense online matches. Horrible idea if this applies on 1 on 1 matches though, I can think of so many broken tactics to guarantee a win.

- I hope this is better than the Dream Combo from the first game. What a retarded and useless waste that was. I don't want to have to waste THREE koma slots just to do one attack.

- Yea, but this was a given. It was unforgivable that you couldn't cling on edges in first game - virtually forced you to be cheap when playing competitively. Also thank god for dashing, running was so slow in the first game that jumping was actually quicker. And don't get me started on the pathetic "speed boost" komas. :lol

BTW: Emily Wattson is so damn hot.

enishi

Bought it yesterday and played for 2 hours last night (I think importers should get their shipment soon :) )

Some early impressions:
- The graphics has been slightly improved with smoother actions.
- Changes made on function of 1 koma: no on-screen support function like last game, but add extra ability to adjacent battle character (you can choose which battle character you are going to power-up)
- Much improved story mode
- harder than last game
- Support voice chat over WFC
- Notes to importers: still non-import friendly since all missions are listed in Japanese, but no koma matching is good for those don't know Japanese

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
enishi said:
Bought it yesterday and played for 2 hours last night (I think importers should get their shipment soon :) )

Some early impressions:
- The graphics has been slightly improved with smoother actions.
- Changes made on function of 1 koma: no on-screen support function like last game, but add extra ability to adjacent battle character (you can choose which battle character you are going to power-up)
- Much improved story mode
- harder than last game
- Support voice chat over WFC
- Notes to importers: still non-import friendly since all missions are listed in Japanese, but no koma matching is good for those don't know Japanese

Only got to try this for a bit today, but just from that, Ultimate just feels better. It not only plays smoother, but there seems to be more attacks and techniques for the characters as well. Something about the original game threw me off, but the sequel looks awesome.

What made me break down and buy it was seeing that characters like Kenshiro are now playable. :)

I thinking about this when a translation guide pops up.

Quick question though, are Japanese DS game cases the same as the North American cases?

So far, it´s great.
The adventure-mode is not really better, but they made the visuals of the overworld better. One the down side, i already had several slow-downs, short, but significant. That wasnt the case with Superstars afaik.
Now i just want to get Sasuke and, hopefully, 3.tail Naruto. Oh, and is Gaara not playable? I have only his 2 support-Komas.
But Mangekyou-Kakashi, yeah, havent played him yet, though.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone in the US tried online play and seen how the lag is? Bleach was practically unplayable from the US :\

get friend codes and it should be fine.

Im still waiting for this game.. i should get it by this week..

check wikipedia page for character list, Genroh from Gamefaqs has doen a good job on it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Martial Loh said:
quite a few of the characters they've put into the series aren't Jump characters -Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star for instance.. its a bit of a missed opportunity with the Gunso cast..I'd definitely have picked up this sequel if they were playable fighters.

The online vs feature is definitely a big factor, but I don't think I have the patience to unlock all the komas(especially without the aid of an FAQ!!). Knowing my luck, by the time I did unlock a decent deck, everyone would have stopped playing online too!

ML

last time i checked, fist of the north star is a jump title...

Firestorm

Was watching my friend play the game. It seems Sanji is still rigged. I can't believe they didn't downgrade him :lol Or maybe he just has hearts over his head and it doesn't do anything?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys, picked up the game last night. They changed the way you get higher level koma, now. You get jewels for beating levels, and usually 1 or 2 square koma. You actually have to use the jewels to upgrade the koma to higher levels, instead of the inane matching game you needed to do in the first game.

I haven't played much, but so far it's badass. Your starting deck is age skip Naruto and Luffy, which are pretty obvious picks for starting characters. The language barrier for mission goals is still as hard as before, so if you cannot read any japanese, I recommend waiting for an FAQ.

I haven't tried wifi yet, but I will be sure to try it out later in the week.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Methodis said:
So for someone like me who has no knowledge of even one word in Japanese, could I still enjoy it?

You can potentially enjoy the game, but you`re going to have a hell of a time finishing the tertiary objectives in missions.

So I`ve played a little more of the game, and I`m really impressed by how the new koma upgrade system works.

In JSS, you got higher koma frames with word bubbles but a silhouette character, and had to match them with the correct 1 koma character to make a new koma for use in the game. This was annoying, as the only indicator of who the character was, was the speech bubble, which was not always something famous by that character.

In JUS, each 1 koma (which is tied to a single character) that you earn in battle (and you only seem to earn 1 koma) has its own upgrade tree. Each battle in system link, wifi, or even in adventure mode, earns you jewels (there are 8 types). Each upgrade in every tree has a jewel requirement to fulfill. You don`t know which upgrade you`ll unlock when you look at the tree (support? stage unlock? battle koma?), but just looking at the high or low koma requirement is a pretty good indication of what you will unlock.

What`s cool, is that if you so choose, you can sacrifice variety in your deck to upgrade a single character to 6 or 7 koma status, by pumping all your jewels into that character. The game doesn`t hold out on you at all.

Currently, my team is a 5 koma Naruto, 4 Koma Zoro, and a 4 koma Goku, after completing all the objectives on the One Piece world. Dragonball is next. :)

ThirstyFly said:
Quick question though, are Japanese DS game cases the same as the North American cases?

Yep. Exactly the same.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I can't seriously wait for this game... my copy is coming in hopefully today or tomorrow... sigh...

thetrin

Skilotonn said:
Man, I can't seriously wait for this game... my copy is coming in hopefully today or tomorrow... sigh...

Imagine how I feel. I`ve been finding opportunities at work right now to play DS without anyone getting on my ass. I had a good 3 hours to play DS in my office after a meeting was cancelled, but the rest of the day doesn`t look bright. :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
TheTrin said:
Imagine how I feel. I`ve been finding opportunities at work right now to play DS without anyone getting on my ass. I had a good 3 hours to play DS in my office after a meeting was cancelled, but the rest of the day doesn`t look bright. :(

And should be studying for 2 huge exams on Wednesday... if the game comes in before that like I expect it will, it's gonna get nasty... ugh...

It's gonna be like crack to me, I know it... especially with it being online too... :(

linsivvi

Been playing this game continuously for the past couple days. My biggest problem with this game is, you simply do not have nearly enough gems to unlock everything after you've beaten the game and finished all special missions. So in order the unlock everything in the game, you only source for gems would be the small amount of gems you pick up during battles, repeatedly play the tournament mode or the mini game (I won't spoil what it is), or play a lot of multi-player games. It does encourage people to play more online games I guess.

Other than that, it is a vast improvement over the first game, some missions are even sort of faithful to the original mangas. :D

enishi

linsivvi said:
Been playing this game continuously for the past couple days. My biggest problem with this game is, you simply do not have nearly enough gems to unlock everything after you've beaten the game and finished all special missions. So in order the unlock everything in the game, you only source for gems would be the small amount of gems you pick up during battles, repeatedly play the tournament mode or the mini game (I won't spoil what it is), or play a lot of multi-player games. It does encourage people to play more online games I guess.

Doesn't the ranking mode give you more jewels than normal battles?

Hunter D said:

Since its a game which will never be sold outside of Japan due to contract obligations, Nintendo could have easily garnered a few more sales "under the belt", so to say, by including an english text version for importers. Unlike other games, importers won't harm any domestic sales, and will increase the sales numbers for NoJ - everybody wins. Of course, because that sounds so logical and financially prudent, they would never do anything like that.

splatty

thetrin

linsivvi said:
It does encourage people to play more online games I guess.

Other than that, it is a vast improvement over the first game, some missions are even sort of faithful to the original mangas. :D

Except that multiplayer games don`t seem to give as many jewels, from what I`ve seen. It`s cool that you get jewels for playing online, though.

I`d love to see this in other fighting games: unlocking stronger versions of characters by fighting friends and earning points. Make that point system available in all modes, and no one that enjoys the game is disadvantaged.

linsivvi

enishi said:
Doesn't the ranking mode give you more jewels than normal battles?

Ranking mode isn't exactly a secret, no need for spoilers, right?

The rewards for beating the first 3 ranking mode is 900 (or 800?) of a specific jewel type, and, for the last ranking mode, it's 500 for the 3 basic jewel types and a smaller amount of the last 3 types. That's 20 battles though. Those amounts are decent but still takes forever to gain enough to unlock everything, especially the expensive 7-8 koma characters.

TheTrin said:
Except that multiplayer games don`t seem to give as many jewels, from what I`ve seen. It`s cool that you get jewels for playing online, though.

I`d love to see this in other fighting games: unlocking stronger versions of characters by fighting friends and earning points. Make that point system available in all modes, and no one that enjoys the game is disadvantaged.

Haven't tried online multiplayer yet. I played a couple games with my friend offline, and it's 50,50,50,10,10,10 for the winner and 10,10,10,0,0,0 for the loser. Perhaps more for 4 player games, I don't know. I can see the loophole right there though, just have 2 players with 1 player decks and take turn jumping off the cliff.... :lol

Aurora

This thread is in need of a big bump.

I got my copy yesterday so I thought we could start sharing Friend Codes and duke it out online.

Here's my FC: 1160 4906 5816

This game's quite a bit better than JSS which is good news. Online does lag a little bit though.

Bo130

It'll only lag over long distances, though. EU vs. US should be ok, esp. with 2- og 3-players, I think. I expect to recieve my copy tomorrow, be glad to play you all :)

just post G amebrink's review here:
http://www.G amebrink.com/nintendo-ds/2016-Jump_Ultimate_Stars-reviews.html

95/100

Pros

* New characters and titles that double the number the prequel had.
* Same multi-character battle mayhem
* Still have lots of hidden conditions to fulfil.
* Lots of improvements over the prequel.
* A “J Arena” added that increases replayability.
* Unlockable Jump Manga encyclopaedia.
* “J Power” system adds more fun in unlocking new Komas.
* Wi-Fi allows battle with friends and strangers.

Cons

* Laggy Wi-Fi play just like in Bleach DS if your opponent is far away.

Sounds pretty flawless, and im still flipping waiting for my game!! GAH!!!!!

Aurora

After having played a fair bit I can safely say that this sequel is infinitely better than its predecessor. Virtually all the elements that made the first broken have been removed (though I still find Ring Out KOs mega cheap - once you have someone on the edge they have almost no chance of recovering... even with the new ability of hanging on the edge a la Smash bros.)

I've played a few games over WiFi and I've experienced hardly any lag at all. To compare it to Bleach DS WiFi is an incredible hyperbole. It's definitely far smoother and faster. And yes, I did play against Japanese players.

A great update is with the downloadable decks. No longer do you have to go through the labourious process of trading decks with friends. Now, at the end of each match, be it wireless or WiFi, you are presented with every opponent's deck to review as well as to download for your own personal use.

They've also greatly improved the combo system. It is now a lot easier to link moves and attacks together, and the aerial attacks have taken a massive revamp allowing you to perform some impressive combos in the air. On top of all of this, there are also a few characters that can grapple and throw their opponents.

Deck making is also very different, and in my opinion a lot better. Before you would have to try and hunt down certain komas that boosted others. Now you can pick any koma and have it support any battle koma you like (though there still remains the former boost system as well). As far as I can tell, help komas can no longer be triggered during battle - that means no cheap invincibility, invisibility, healing etc. On the other hand this also makes Ring Outs more broken because you do not have the safety of an invincibility koma to help you get out. To counter this they have introduced new support komas that summon a character to literally pull you far away from danger.

The whole koma system has also vastly changed for the better. No longer do you have to spend countless hours using trial and error to find the right matching komas, all you do now is "upgrade" your help komas using the new J Power system. This is very similar to Meteos and its system of collecting metals which can be used to buy things. You collect points as you battle and complete missions and you exchange them for upgrades on your help komas. Very simple yet satisfying.

Apart from the standard Points match JUS introduces some new ways of playing. One mode allocates a Star to each character - the aim being to hold the most (or all) Stars before time ends. This results in some frantic battles and hilarious tag teams with everyone going for the leader to steal his Stars. Another mode involves an item randomly appearing in the level and the aim is to be holding the item when time runs out. Similar to the Star mode but equally fun.

Just one other thing before I go off and play. The levels have vastly been improved; far bigger and more interactive than ever before. One level in particular had background objects firing jolts of electricity out at unsuspecting characters - the electricity power could be switched off by activating a lever at the top of the level. Another level, initially appearing small, had breakable flooring revealing an awesome underground section.

All in all this game has been improved in every aspect, and the inclusion of WiFi sells the game alone. If you were on the fence about getting JUS, rest assured that it is money well spent.

Senretsu

My Best Buy has the original Jump Superstars on their shelves to buy, with a sticker attached that it is an import but will work on US systems with everything in Japanese. I was surprised to see it there.

Just incase anyone is interested, hopefully they'll import this sequel :).

Hm, speaking about "being broken":

The characters arent really balanced. Though thats not possible, i know that, but some characters, mostly 7- and 8-Komas, are too strong, when you yourself choose a lower Koma-combattant.
There is, i think it is, 8-Koma Bobobo, with some weird yellow aura, that automatically counters any attack made by an enemy...or 8-Koma Ruffys special, that kicks you out of the ring for sure, if you didnt press dpad+down instantly. Or Vegetto´s up+X-special, rather too strong.

That´s no problem when you´re playing jsut for fun, but it makes the game broken, if you consider to strat "serious" battles, competition and such things.

scarybore

My copy of this arrived this morning and I'm have a great time with it so far. I will need to read up more on the Koma system as I am a bit confused at times as to how and when I can use some of them.

As for balance I would agree that it ain't perfect even though I have only played a few hours, really easy to send people off the edge with Naruto's Rasengan for example but I don't expect to play multiplayer with anyone so I'm ok with that.

Aurora

MasterMFauli said:
Hm, speaking about "being broken":

The characters arent really balanced. Though thats not possible, i know that, but some characters, mostly 7- and 8-Komas, are too strong, when you yourself choose a lower Koma-combattant.
There is, i think it is, 8-Koma Bobobo, with some weird yellow aura, that automatically counters any attack made by an enemy...or 8-Koma Ruffys special, that kicks you out of the ring for sure, if you didnt press dpad+down instantly. Or Vegetto´s up+X-special, rather too strong.

That´s no problem when you´re playing jsut for fun, but it makes the game broken, if you consider to strat "serious" battles, competition and such things.
I agree. However, you must remember that 8-koma characters are exatly that - 8 komas. So while you might have one uber 8-koma character I can have 4 decent guys in my deck and keep switching to heal the others making it really hard for you to K.O me. You just have to build a nice strong deck to counter some of the uber characters and you'll do fine online. Skill also plays a large role. I mean take me for example, first time I went online I used the first deck you get and managed to come 2nd with Japanese players all using ubers.

Jcgamer60. I'm not sure about IGN but there is an in-the-works FAQ up at GameFAQs. By the time you get it I'm sure the guide will be more than adequate to help you out. :)

PS: I'm stuck on adventure mode if anybody can help.
I think I'm right at the end where you're in Jump Space with each planet called J, U, M and P respectively. I have no clue how to beat planet P. It says something about Bobobo and using Up+Y but I'm clueless as to what I have to actually do. Any help would be appreciated.

Jcgamer60

Aurora said:
Jcgamer60. I'm not sure about IGN but there is an in-the-works FAQ up at GameFAQs. By the time you get it I'm sure the guide will be more than adequate to help you out. :)

Nice, i will order it today.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Here is a very nicely done 20-minute review of JUS that should sell anyone on this game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tlaJw_TUoTc&watch_response

My local import store told me that they should be getting the game tomorrow, which I hope is for sure - I loved the last one, and I know that they fixed every little complaint from the last one and made it so damn good period...

mvo

Neo Member
I've been enjoying JUS for a couple days now. It's a pretty fun game though I haven't had a chance to play it online yet. The only thing that annoys me most as I'm not fluent in Japanese or well-versed in all of the Jump titles is the lack of gems. I've finished all of adventure mode and beaten each ranking mode. Now that I've exhausted those two options, I'll have to get the rest of these gems for evolution playing against nonexistant people with the game/online against people/quiz mode. The fastest way to do it by yourself seems to be quiz mode which should net people a lot of points if they've got the knowledge. I got 105-110 gems for red, green and yellow just for "answering"(mashing) 22/50 questions correctly.

Aurora said:
PS: I'm stuck on adventure mode if anybody can help.
I think I'm right at the end where you're in Jump Space with each planet called J, U, M and P respectively. I have no clue how to beat planet P. It says something about Bobobo and using Up+Y but I'm clueless as to what I have to actually do. Any help would be appreciated.

Afaik, you need to use his Up+Y move on each opponent one time.

linsivvi

mvo said:
I've been enjoying JUS for a couple days now. It's a pretty fun game though I haven't had a chance to play it online yet. The only thing that annoys me most as I'm not fluent in Japanese or well-versed in all of the Jump titles is the lack of gems. I've finished all of adventure mode and beaten each ranking mode. Now that I've exhausted those two options, I'll have to get the rest of these gems for evolution playing against nonexistant people with the game/online against people/quiz mode. The fastest way to do it by yourself seems to be quiz mode which should net people a lot of points if they've got the knowledge. I got 105-110 gems for red, green and yellow just for "answering"(mashing) 22/50 questions correctly.

Sadly, being able to score 22/50 in the quiz mode is not an option for most people. Anyway, the fastest way is still having 2 machines linked up and the players take turn to jump off the cliff....

On another note, you can continue to play the ranking mode to earn the gems and gain new decks. There are a total of 72 decks as far as I know.

mvo

Neo Member
It's definitely not something I'm banking on. I'm resorting to pressing one button over and over while surfing the internet right now. I get from 8-18 pts and it's not like I'm doing anything else at the moment. When my other DS finishes charging, I'll do download play and see how many points I net from jumping off the cliff.

Aurora

Cool, finished Adventure mode and now I'm creating some decks for Rank matches.

Nobody's brave enough to share their FC? :p

Top Bottom