• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz Op-Ed: Titanfall 2 a "commercial failure," "a victim of chest-beating pride."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really interesting read: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-04-titanfall-is-a-victim-of-chest-beating-pride

Last week, Respawn's second game launched. By some estimates, Titanfall 2 sold only a quarter of what its predecessor managed, despite launching on more platforms in a market with vastly higher installed base than existed for the original Titanfall (which was itself somewhat overshadowed by Bungie's Destiny). It's a hugely disappointing performance for a game from such an accomplished studio. While sales of the original Titanfall didn't set the world alight, the performance of Titanfall 2 - barring miraculous recovery in the next few weeks - is quite likely the death knell for the budding franchise, and the first commercial failure that West and Zampella have presided over since the turn of the millennium.

---

If the industry knows this, and if it was so obvious that Titanfall 2 wasn't coming to market with the kind of advantages that would let it seriously challenge the competition, then what happened? To a large extent, what happened is all about pride. Activision has ruled the holiday FPS market for years, and EA - whose Star Wars Battlefront made a serious dent last year - wanted to prove itself the big swinging dick of that market this year. That made EA take a risk it shouldn't have taken, committing to a gamble whose risk-reward profile was completely untenable. Respawn Entertainment, which will likely bear the brunt of any hardship resulting from the now-uncertain status of the Titanfall franchise (though it's working on a Star Wars game which will hopefully keep most if not all jobs at the firm secure), likely approved of the release date for reasons that are also more to do with dick-measuring than with commercial good sense; launching a week ahead of the new SF Call of Duty game from their old studio, Infinity Ward, would be a chance to prove that they'd surpassed their old franchise and a final two fingers to the publisher who humiliatingly kicked them out of their old studio six years ago.

Lots more at the link. Meanwhile, at the Titanfall 2 twitter account-

(The link takes you to the IGN review for Call of Duty: IW).

UPDATE:

Vi5yQuJ.png

ezekial45

Banned
giphy.gif

It's a shame, it's actually a really good game that's a massive improvement over the original. This should've come out in 2017. Battlefield 1 was enough for COD, but EA had to make TF2 compete against both titles.

Hesh

Rainbow Six Siege was a "failure", too, after launch, and has made amazing strides with post-launch support. I wouldn't write off Titanfall 2 yet.

CHC

make a shallow first game and people don't come back for the sequel? what a shock

That's not at all what the article states. If that's your opinion then that's completely fine, but the claim here is that the TF2 is the victim of EA's hubris, and was doomed mostly by its release window and cocksure, aggressively assertive marketing.

it should've been delayed to early 2017

maybe then dewanddoritos.com will work right and take my fucking codes for skins and XP boosts

GODDAMMIT EA

Mesoian

True words.

Even if TF2's a better game than IW (which it most likely is), Respawn & EA should've picked their battles better.

Totally. The blame is pretty much at EA's feet, but man...it wasn't hard to see that basically everything revolving around EA's fall line up scheduling was a disaster. Releasing two shooters within 3 weeks of each other, in a climate that has 6 FPS's releasing within a 6 week stint...

It reeks of a basic misunderstanding of how the industry works.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lots more at the link. Meanwhile, at the Titanfall 2 twitter account-
http://i.imgur.com/22IhxkL.png[/URL]

(The link takes you to the IGN review for Call of Duty: IW).

You're missing the best Backfire: Press F to see Titanflop flop a second time.

Whoever is running that social media account probably got it after Zampella saw Stillborn's.

Rainbow Six Siege was a "failure", too, after launch, and has made amazing strides with post-launch support. I wouldn't write off Titanfall 2 yet.

I think/hope that Titanfall 2 will grow just like Siege. Game is soooo good, regardless if youre mainly into SP or MP.

Lime

It's an uphill battle after a Xbox-exclusive game with MP only to suddenly try to change the perception of the brand and product to be marketable to PS4 and PC players who are also interested in singleplayer.

moai

for me the horrible beta turned me away. i read here that much has improved on final release, but i will wait for a sale. not taking chances with so many games coming out.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The release date really bums me out. I would love to play this game and show my support, but I had no idea if was coming out when it did. I just bought BF1, Gears 4, and World of Final Fantasy. Can't justify spending another $60 on a game right now.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Idiots, it's been getting good reviews and good word of mouth around here, but they stupidly released at what has to be the single worst week for a shooter to launch in, right between the two biggest FPS IPs currently around. Literally boggles my mind at that decision.

You don't throw a game like Titanfall at CoD, Battlefield does well but that's had years and plenty of games to build up its player base. It should have been a march game, simple as that, they could have made it their FPS month and captured players coming off the other two.

Zophar

Aren't we at the very front of the holiday buying season? TF2 will sell well before the end of the year, I'm sure.

Tengrave

This seems way overblown. Titanfall isn't going anywhere. I think the unfortunate part is a lot of people don't know is out on PC thanks to Origin.

Lothars

No one played SF1 so not alot of damage was done

Lots of people played Titanfall 1 and felt burned. Same thing is happening with watch dogs 2 looking like a sales disappointment. The same might happen to destiny 2.
There's very little chance of that.

Cake Boss

Banned
Technically TF2 made me not put any of my money towards COD this year, but then again the COD beta helped that decision as well.

Its too bad, because if any title that deserves commercial success was this one. Its actually doing something new in the tired genre and pushing it.

How big is the community for Rainbow Six now? Is there a list similar to BFstats to show the positive impact of those amazing strides?

Chris1

Was there even much PR?

I mean I didnt even knew it came out since a few days ago.
I know I've barely seen anything in the UK.. Pretty much BF1 and CoD everywhere.

Everyone blames the sales on release date but I think it's more than that. Releasing next to BF was stupid considering the hype but it still should be doing a lot better than it is. A big part of its sales is the tech test killed any hype people would have had leading up to the game and there's barely any marketing compared to it's competitors or it's predecessor.

Source?

Siege opened to pretty decent numbers in the U.S.

It had great legs and is better off now then at launch, but that doesn't indicate that it was a failure at launch.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No one played SF1 so not alot of damage was done

Lots of people played Titanfall 1 and felt burned. Same thing is happening with watch dogs 2 looking like a sales disappointment. The same might happen to destiny 2.

I don't think it will happen to Destiny, I fully expect Activision and Sony to continue their partnership. We're going to have Destiny 2 on stage at every event like we did before Destiny came out. Going from reactions to some of the expansions and changes made to the game they might have actually learnt their lesson witg the state they released the first in.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Video games are in a fucked up place when you're a commercial failure after a week.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I have TF2 downloaded and installed on my PC, but haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Honestly, there was absolutely zero hype for the game in the lead up to launch. I didn't even know of its existence as an actual playable product until I read impressions of the beta.

The only reason why I even bought the game is because of the glowing post launch impressions here on GAF. Hopefully word of mouth can give it legs.

Top Bottom