• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Death: Day-one Launch Package Detailed no longer F2P

Loudninja

Hey all — Jaffe here with a bunch of Drawn to Death news to share with you.

As you may know, Drawn to Death had been available in a quasi-beta phase that we call Limited Access. During this time we collected a ton of insightful information from the community. After reviewing everything we learned during the Limited Access period, we have decided to officially launch Drawn to Death as a traditional paid title.

Launch Characters

If you’ve had a chance to play Drawn to Death during Limited Access, you know better than anyone else that mastering the intricacies of each character is as important as your skill on the sticks. In making the move from a free-to-play to a pay-to-play model, we’re now making all six main characters available to unlock at launch.

Launch Weapons
Drawn to Death launches with 26 weapons, some unlocked at the start, some that you must fight to earn. And just like all of the game’s characters, all of the weapons in your arsenal are designed to be balanced, each with its own pro and con, guaranteeing there are no overall “best” weapons, only weapons that are best for you!

Launch Modes
  • Organ Donor: In this objective based mode, Players must shoot the heart out of an enemy’s chest. Then take the heart to a stationary base for 1 point. Take the heart to a moving base for 2X points! First Player to 20 points wins!
  • Classic Deathmatch: First to 10 kills wins.
  • Classic Team Deathmatch: First team with 20 kills wins.
  • Core Deathmatch: First Player to 5 points wins. 1 kill = 1 point, but every time you die you lose a point. (Defense matters!)
  • Core Team Deathmatch: Same as Core Deathmatch, but for teams. First team to 10 points wins.
  • Brawl: In this mode, levels get smaller on the fly to create a more intense one-on-one battle/fighting game experience!

New Mystery Systems
We’re also introducing two new systems to the game: Volcano God and Sphynx.

Both of these systems are key to unlocking a host of cool in-game prizes, goodies, and abilities. We’re not ready to go into details about them just yet, but these systems will be there at launch and will offer up a ton of meta, unlocking collection, and fun!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/drawn-to-death-day-one-launch-package-detailed/

FelipeMGM

Wait, how will this work for people who played the Limited Access? Because is basically a full game, I even have some trophies for it.

Will I lose my license or something?

Spy

I wasn't a fan of what I played in the beta due to there being literally no aim assist. Don't know if it's changed but a minimal amount would be nice.

Loudninja

I wasn't a fan of what I played in the beta due to there being literally no aim assist. Don't know if it's changed but a minimal amount would be nice.
For our Limited Access fans, we wanted to take this opportunity to confirm that we won’t be making any changes to the moment-to-moment gameplay. Drawn to Death is still the skill-based, hardcore shooter/brawler hybrid that it was always intended to be.

Loudninja

+ IndianaJaffe on November 4th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

Hmmm- I can’t speak to the less grind part as that’s subjective. What I can tell you is that there will be brand new trophies, as well as returning trophies, and a Platinum. Hope that clears it up a bit? Thx for posting! :)

Jaffe
+ IndianaJaffe on November 4th, 2016 at 10:24 am said:

Yeah, being ripped off sucks. Hopefully after we launch word of mouth will get you to at least consider taking a chance on the title. Thanks for posting! :)

Jaffe
+ IndianaJaffe on November 4th, 2016 at 10:26 am said:

We can’t talk price yet but HOPEFULLY you’ll find the price point to your liking once we do announce it.

Meantime, we launch with 7 maps, not 3. And we will have another 3 maps out to Players within the first 3 weeks of launch.

Jaffe
+ IndianaJaffe on November 4th, 2016 at 10:27 am said:

So glad you enjoyed early access- nice! :)

No price point discussion yet- but soon! Apologies on that.

No single player planned at the moment. There is training and a new shooting gallery but it’s nowhere near what I think you are looking for in terms of 1P. We’d love to do that one day if the game has enough fans but for launch, we’re all guns blazing on making a super competitive, hardcore MP shooter.

Thanks for posting, sir! :)

Jaffe

Very awesome

Enjoyed what I played of the beta, there just generally weren't people on when I wanted to play

Though I got to play with Jaffe a couple of times so that was neat, hah

5taquitos

I had a real hard time making it past the aesthetic, my brain just couldn't parse the noise. Maybe I'll give it another shot before it leaves the limited access.

Game has seemed cool on papaer. (Get it?)

But I feel like people really don't care about this game. They should try targeting streamers so they can get people more interested.

Stiler

I hope it works out for them, but can't help but feel like it's going to backfire, announcing as f2p and then switching it after this long, probably going to turn a lot of "on the fence" people off of it now since they'd have to pony up money to play it.

Atomski

This game is going to get burried alive.. f2p atleast someone would have tried it lol.

It dosnt surprise me though.. f2p means it neede lots of support and such. I just don't see this game doing well so giving it lots of support would probably put them in a hole. I wouldny be surprised if jaf takes what money he can and moves on to something else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Game seemed to always have less than 10 people playing it even f2p so yeah, wasn't really going to be sustainable.

That said, I can't imagine it actually selling well as a paid game. I also think it's really, really awful, so...good luck.

At least they aren't launching in between BF1 and COD. <rimshot>

I played the beta a few times and just couldn't get into it at all. This, Lawbreakers, and Battleborn all feel like games that got crushed by the Overwatch juggernaut.

The f2p space is definitely weird, you have stuff like Evolve and Battleborn that are rumored to go f2p, but now stuff like this that are going from f2p to b2p. No idea what it means but its weird.

Game seemed to always have less than 10 people playing it even f2p so yeah, wasn't really going to be sustainable.

That said, I can't imagine it actually selling well as a paid game. I also think it's really, really awful, so...good luck.

yep, game is DOA. I wanted to love it but honestly it just isn't any fun...

I dont recall the F2P version being popular at all. Maybe this would be different if it was totally open... But being paid doesnt sound like it will be successful either.

While I appreciate the focus on hardcore skill, I feel this will turn off many people. It just doesnt seem there is a market for something so ... technical?

AudioEppa

Game has seemed cool on papaer. (Get it?)

But I feel like people really don't care about this game. They should try targeting streamers so they can get people more interested.

Yep.

I played this for like an hour, maybe a little more and it just wasn't clicking.

It would have been cool if he tried to copy the style of Gotham City Imposters.

At this point I think most people are probably looking forward to what David does next, but that's totally based on how popular he still is among people who know who he is.

I think its a good call, but I don't know how much would it have affected the game's popularity if it was F2P.

Been playing the alpha and beta once in a while since last year. People who love quick gameplay like Quake, jumping and running around gunning people with diverse set of guns, will like this game right away. Not completely my cup of tea, but had fun while playing.

Also, it has alot charm to it with its artstyle and humor, imo.

I never had a good feeling about this game. F2P and multiplayer games have just so much good competition, it's not even funny.
Jaffe's games were always something I liked, but building up a MP game with a hardcore fanbase, reliable servers and good content support, is just very very hard nowadays. Maybe on Steam it could work, but on consoles...
There's only that much time in a day and it seems that every company is making (free) MP games (card games, moba's, FPS, ...).

I hope Jaffe goes back making crazy SP games, there's still a niche audience wanting his crazy games imo. They don't have to look good or be AAA, the new Twisted Metal was a fun niche game and if they made it a 20 euro PSN downloadable game, it would have gotten a hardcore niche audience.

I think its a good call, but I don't know how much would it have affected the game's popularity if it was F2P.

Been playing the alpha and beta once in a while since last year. People who love quick gameplay like Quake, jumping and running around gunning people with diverse set of guns, will like this game right away. Not completely my cup of tea, but had fun while playing.

Also, it has alot charm to it with its artstyle and humor, imo.

It should have been a PC game then. I don't think that that many people like that kind of MP on consoles.

Fury451

Banned
I never had a good feeling about this game. F2P and multiplayer games have just so much good competition, it's not even funny.
Jaffe's games were always something I liked, but building up a MP game with a hardcore fanbase, reliable servers and good content support, is just very very hard nowadays. Maybe on Steam it could work, but on consoles...
There's only that much time in a day and it seems that every company is making (free) MP games (card games, moba's, FPS, ...).

I hope Jaffe goes back making crazy SP games, there's still a niche audience wanting his crazy games imo. They don't have to look good or be AAA, the new Twisted Metal was a fun niche game and if they made it a 20 euro PSN downloadable game, it would have gotten a hardcore niche audience.

And if the multiplayer actually worked at launch. By the time they fixed it I didn't care. That and the other changes they made to the formula were pretty baffling.

Unfortunately as creative as this looks in terms of art style and everything, it seems like it's gonna wind up dead on arrival, especially now they've decided to charge for something that people don't really seem all that jazzed for to begin with.

JimiNutz

Banned
I really enjoy fast paced Arena shooters with heavy emphasis on movement and weapon accuracy so this actually sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I had absolutely no idea it was available to play now though, I've literally seen nothing about this game at all!

Low player population may force me to skip it but if it's reasonably priced I may take a gamble.

I feel like they're making it a paid for game so they can give it away on Playstation Plus.

I don't think the game is likely to be of any success, at all, I've seen little to no interest in this on social media, or among my own friends. It's not that the game is bad I just think the artstyle is a bit too abstract for most people and coupled with gameplay that harkens back to older, rather than new gamers, it's an incredibly unfamiliar, almost alien experience for most consumers. It's not likely to draw many people in, no pun intended.

At least this way, by making it a paid for game, Sony can have it consume one of the Plus slots. It is a decent game, so you shouldn't be disappointed if you get it for free, and that would also be a better option in regards to populating the online servers. During the pre-release I was rarely able to find a game, and when I did it was never a full lobby, which is quite poor when lobby's consist of 4 players.

I feel like they're making it a paid for game so they can give it away on Playstation Plus.

I don't think the game is likely to be of any success, at all, I've seen little to no interest in this on social media, or among my own friends. It's not that the game is bad I just think the artstyle is a bit too abstract for most people and coupled with gameplay that harkens back to older, rather than new gamers, it's an incredibly unfamiliar, almost alien experience for most consumers. It's not likely to draw many people in, no pun intended.

At least this way, by making it a paid for game, Sony can have it consume one of the Plus slots. It is a decent game, so you shouldn't be disappointed if you get it for free, and that would also be a better option in regards to populating the online servers. During the pre-release I was rarely able to find a game, and when I did it was never a full lobby, which is quite poor when lobby's consist of 4 players.

I agree. Sony should make it a 'free' PSN+ game during it's launch month. I feel like that's the only chance for the game to stand a chance. If it was 'free' month(s) after launch, people won't care.
But day 1, streamers will try it, and it will have more interest for being a free brand new game.
And maybe it can get lucky and explode like Rocket League.

What's the budget of Drawn to Death compared to those two games? I don't think they're remotely in the same ballpark where commercial expectations are concerned.

I dunno the budget

But I know it's been in production for 3 years? Maybe a little more? It was announced 2013, right? I imagine that the budget would...be pretty high?

I dunno the budget

But I know it's been in production for 3 years? Maybe a little more? It was announced 2013, right? I imagine that the budget would...be pretty high?
It's a small game from a small studio with Jaffe at the helm. The situation isn't comparable with Evolve's push for ultimate god king of e-sports

The thing that sucks is I bet it would've had a bigger impact if they would've announced it at PSX 2014 and were able to open a beta right there for people. Instead the beta didn't start until like....end of 2015? And it was closed/limited. It was an actual beta and it makes sense (plus it made sense to add value to PSX) but I think people were like "what happened to that Drawn To Death game?"

Beta was fun but yeah, if people weren't playing that free beta then I have a hard time believing people will stick around. That said, makes perfect sense to have it as a PS+ title announcement at PSX, maybe people will feel obligated to play because it's a game for the month lol

Either way, it's PS1/2 style deathmatch fun in 2016. Not much else like it

Top Bottom