• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a gift? Sennheiser HD650 are $200 on Massdrop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

DEAL IS OVER

Get'em while they are hot! Normal price is ~$350. They launched at $500.

OP hurry!!!! I need to find out what a Sennheiser is maybe!
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG (/ˈsɛnhaɪzər/; branded Sennheiser) is a private German audio company specializing in the design and production of a wide range of both consumer and high fidelity products, including microphones, headphones, telephony accessories, and avionics headsets for consumer, professional, and business applications.

Stasis

I want!

Love my HD598's. Been wanting a step up for a while.

This is going to become an addiction I can feel it. Just the 598's really changed everything for me, from having used gamer sets for so long. Good ones, but still. No fuckimg comparison to a real set of headphones, even if lower on the spectrum, and a decent DAC/amp.

Was like discovering mechanical keyboards and using an SSD for the OS/apps.

No going back.

shira

I wish I had the courage to drop two bills on headphones atm.

So much to buy for Black Friday.

paskowitz

They have Massdrop branding on the product themselves?

*OCD intensifies*

Really?

4be92dbb-278a-4bda-87ef-683a03fa13da_1.48f86041e498000ec3dbe8372981a011.jpeg

I keep getting a loading error when trying to check out.

Might be for the best though, 200 is a bit above an impulse buy right now.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This is one of those sites whose website brings up a login immediately when I visit and so I refuse to try it

rtcn63

The 600/650 are really good home headphones, possibly end-game when you consider the price-to-performance ratio.

Malvolio

This is one of those sites whose website brings up a login immediately when I visit and so I refuse to try it

Reminds me of going to Walgreens.

"Oh I can't have your sale price because I don't want to sign up for your Wal-card? Cool, CVS is across the street."

I really don't understand why websites that revolve around limited time/quantity deals put more resources into sleek UI than actual servers to handle the load. I really want to get these headphones but they're making it really hard to take my money.

paskowitz

Eh, I find the 598s to be more "fun" to listen to. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade unless you prefer the sound of the 650s. I'd try them before deciding.

I have 598 SEs ATM. I can either sell them for $75-100 (got them for $99 last BF) or likely break even on the 650s. No bad options at this price level.

Man what a price.

Be aware: these require power to be driven well. That means an external amplifier. If you don't have one and don't think you can afford both, don't bother. You'll be disappointed. These are not cans that can be driven by your smartphone or some such.

How much better is the 650 over the 598? I like my 598's, but I definitely recognize there could be some improvements.

Edit: I see I am not the only one thinking the same thing

gnexus

Went ahead and decided to jump on this deal, because I've been eyeing a new set of headphones lately... and the Massdrop payment servers are borked. Not surprised. I've been trying for about half an hour now and nothing is going through.

Maybe it's a sign

edit: finally got in, but the deal seems to be dead now.

rtcn63

Man what a price.

Be aware: these require power to be driven well. That means an external amplifier. If you don't have one and don't think you can afford both, don't bother. You'll be disappointed. These are not cans that can be driven by your smartphone or some such.

It depends on the output of your smartphone etc. Like if you plan on plugging them directly into your motherboard, it's probably not gonna be a huge issue unless the end volume turns out to be inadequate. Sound quality can improve with an external amplifier, but you can always pick up one after using the headphones for a bit and knowing that you want to invest in more hardware.

EDIT: I've owned the 600 and 650. And if you do want to try a budget home amplifier that uses RCAs, consider a Schiit Magni for $100 http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Nice price. Weren't these a favorite of 1up and Area 5 staff back in the day? I remember seeing them all over the 1up Show and Co-op.

These are probably the best headphones on the market. All of the people you know that wear Beats have no idea what really amazing headphones are like.

This is a fantastic price, too.

Mindlog

Nice price. Weren't these a favorite of 1up and Area 5 staff back in the day? I remember seeing them all over the 1up Show and Co-op.
Pretty sure they had the 555 or maybe even 201 which is a very good entry to the Senn lineup.

This is was a great deal.

I got an error on my first try and the second never completed, but one of them was apparently successful as it's listed under My Transactions.

Ah well, there's always black friday

Pretty sure they had the 555 or maybe even 201 which is a very good entry to the Senn lineup.

This is was a great deal.

Good to know. I could've sworn they had the distinctive HD-600 grille but maybe it was the 555 afterall.

Sanjuro

I just bought a pair of HD 558. Not sure these would be much of an upgrade for me. Also, I don't like how there is a wire from each cup.

If you don't own a pair though seems like a good price if you have a little extra cash.

hoserx

Yeah. They are one of the best price-to-performance home headphones though, and can easily be the last pair you'll ever need.

Sure, especially at this price. I wasn't trying to discredit them, they're great cans that I own, but I was just trying to quash hyperbole.

Dope deal. HD650 has always been an endgame sort of cans for me. Currently rocking the HD598 SE and Denon D600s, but I'd trade both in for the HD650 if I could.

Cels

massdrop is good, i ordered a microphone for cheap off the site and i have no complaints.

their shipping was super slow though. so slow that absent some guarantee your item will arrive before christmas i would not order these headphones hoping to give them in time. luckily i was not in a rush for my microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom