• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Sony to Ship 500K to 800K PS3 in 2006 (and gives a launch #)

http://today.reuters.com/summit/sum...01_N29358987_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-SUMMIT-EA.xml

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) CEO Larry Probst said on Wednesday that initial shipments of Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) new PlayStation 3 have been below his expectations due to shortages, though overall holiday sales thus far of video games and players were at or slightly ahead of targets.

His comments at the Reuters Media Summit in New York pushed down shares of EA, the world's biggest video game publisher, by nearly 2 percent.

Probst said demand for Sony's much-anticipated PlayStation 3 (PS3), which made its U.S. debut on November 17 for the critical holiday season, was strong but a shortage of supply meant that only about 200,000 units of the game console were sold at retail outlets.

Sony had originally aimed to ship 400,000 PS3 units for its U.S. launch, and has not given actual figures.

Probst said that EA had set a lower bar for initial shipments, but "where they ended up was a bit of a surprise."

By the end of 2006, he expects Sony to ship 500,000 to 800,000 units.

"We think they'll get into that range," said Probst, who noted that console sales and corresponding game sales were typically slow to begin with because of supply constraints, and a clear winner will not be known for as long as five years.

This holiday season is crucial for the $30 billion global video game industry. Video game makers reap more than half of their annual sales in the end-year shopping season.

EA, whose games include titles like football game "Madden" and "The Sims," recently raised its 2006 outlook to call for flat to 5 percent growth in overall U.S. game sales. Previously, it expected overall sales to be flat to down 5 percent in 2006.

"That's a much more optimistic outlook for the year than people were previously expecting," Probst said.

"Bottom line, I would say that the first holiday weekend met or slightly exceeded expectations," he added, citing solid sales of Microsoft's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox 360 game console, Nintendo's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) Wii and Sony's PlayStation 2, as well as Sony's PSP and Nintendos DS handheld devices.

SUPERMAN DISAPPOINTS

Separately, EA Chief Financial Officer Warren Jenson said at an investor conference in Arizona that the game "Superman," an important holiday title that was released later than the film, was a disappointment and that sales would fall short of company targets.

Analysts said Jenson's comments also weighed on the stock.

Large crowds had camped out for days ahead of the PS3's U.S. debut. Supplies were scarce, and Probst said some 20,000 owners were able to flip their new machines on Web auction site eBay Inc. (EBAY.O: Quote, Profile, Research) for, on average, more than double the $600 price.

EA's shares fell 1.8 percent to $56.19 after Probst's comments, before recuperating some losses to close at $56.77, still down 0.8 percent on the Nasdaq.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
"We think they'll get into that range," said Probst, who noted that console sales and corresponding game sales were typically slow to begin with because of supply constraints, and a clear winner will not be known for as long as five years.

Spring 2007, as late as Spring 2008.

Speevy

Banned
500-800K is a pretty big window, all things considered. I mean, if it's 800K, that's quite a bit different than 500K.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo's gonna lap Sony one, maybey two times.

I think that is disappointing considering that Sony wanted 400,000 out of the door on day one and 1 million by end of the year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Speevy said:
500-800K is a pretty big window, all things considered. I mean, if it's 800K, that's quite a bit different than 500K.
you can download the rest of the ps3s from the Xbox Live Marketplace for 800000 ms points.

...wait a minute lawl

Odysseus

Banned
Speevy said:
This pertains to the North American market, and there, it is virtually impossible for Sony to pass MS before 2008.

I wouldn't be so sure. At any rate, you'll be able to detect trends fairly early.

KINGMOKU

Unreal. 200k for launch in the U.S., and 80k for Japan? WTF? Is there something Sony just isnt saying?

This is really bad. Devs cannot be happy with this news, at all.

I wonder what kind of numbers Wii madden put up BTW.

Speevy

Banned
Odysseus said:
I wouldn't be so sure. At any rate, you'll be able to detect trends fairly early.

Jan

PS3: 400K
360: 200K

Feb

March

April

May

June

etc. through October. That's only 2 million made up, meaning Sony will need to sell at least a million more units than MS during November and December 07.

Yeah, sounds completely possible to me!

GhaleonEB

By the end of 2006, he expects Sony to ship 500,000 to 800,000 units.

So Sony's stated goal is one million shipped or "in the pipeline" by the end of this year to the US. Is he saying only 500-800k of those will be on store shelves to be sold, or that Sony will only manage to ship that many? Because if even if they ship 800k from factory by air, sold through will be much lower. 0_o

Odysseus

Banned
Speevy said:
Jan

Feb

March

April

May

June

etc. through October. That's only 2 million made up, meaning Sony will need to sell at least a million more units than MS during November and December 07.

ahem

Odysseus said:

Mojovonio

Banned
Speevy said:
Jan

Feb

March

April

May

June

COME ON SONY! REMEMBER THE STORY OF THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Speevy said:
Jan

Feb

March

April

May

June

:lol nice one.

sonycowboy said:
Wii Zelda will sell more than all of the 14 PS3 launch titles combined.
Downhill Jam will outsell PS3's Project 8.
Red Steel could sell more then Resistance.
Ridge Racer 7 gets beat by shitty Ubi Soft ports.

Does Sony have ANY goodwill left in the publishing community. How fast can they burn their remaining bridges, watch and find out.

Vormund

Well this is going to be a 10+ page thread. :D

It does sound quite bad though. And having no clear winner in maybe 5 years? Next Xbox would be out by then.

Mrbob

Speevy said:
This pertains to the North American market, and there, it is virtually impossible for Sony to pass MS before 2008.

Since the PS3 will be around till 2015, I'm sure Sony will take this.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Looks like Sony were really forced into launching early. This is a very poor launch.

bill0527

Speevy said:

The margin will be even bigger if Halo 3 releases in November '07.

HyperZone<3 said:
Downhill Jam will outsell PS3's Project 8.
Red Steel could sell more then Resistance.
Ridge Racer 7 gets beat by shitty Ubi Soft ports.

Does Sony have ANY goodwill left in the publishing community. How fast can they burn their remaining bridges, watch and find out.

Given that Sony single handedly turned EA, Take-Two, Activision, Konami, Capcom, Namco, & Square into billion dollar companies, I think the publishers are still quite happy with Sony overall. The PS2 business is still very, very strong worldwide and the 360 launch last year was just as bad.

I do think Sony is in trouble in the industry, but the publishers are still very, very much behind them. And in fact, I think they prefer to not have to kowtow to Sony by virtue of their almost monopolistic hold on the console industry.

MrSardonic said:
Looks like Sony were really forced into launching early. This is a very poor launch.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. They weren't forced into launching early, they just ****ed up production. Do you honestly think Sony was planning to launch in Spring 2007 or later?

KINGMOKU

MrSardonic said:
This is what makes me puzzled. Did they really have to launch this early if it was only going to be a complete, and utter nightmare?

This is hands down the worst launch ever. 280k units between TWO territories? And a delayed launch to Europe, to god knows when?

This is just insanity.

The number WAS 1million in the States by the end of the year. Now its lowered, on the low estimate to HALF that number! What in the HELL will be the supply situation like in Japan?

Sony should have waited. 1month could have made a huge difference methinks.

SUPERMAN DISAPPOINTS

Separately, EA Chief Financial Officer Warren Jenson said at an investor conference in Arizona that the game "Superman," an important holiday title, was a major development disappointment and that sales would fall short of anything.

Fixed

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
sonycowboy said:
Given that Sony single handedly turned EA, Take-Two, Activision, Konami, Capcom, Namco, & Square into billion dollar companies, I think the publishers are still quite happy with Sony overall. The PS2 business is still very, very strong worldwide and the 360 launch last year was just as bad.

I do think Sony is in trouble in the industry, but the publishers are still very, very much behind them. And in fact, I think they prefer to not have to kowtow to Sony by virtue of their almost monopolistic hold on the console industry.

And you'll see them jump ship just as quickly if Sony doesn't pull their shit together. Companies don't last long riding on the past.

moku said:
This is what makes me puzzled. Did they really have to launch this early if it was only going to be a complete, and utter nightmare?

This is hands down the worst launch ever. 280k units between TWO territories? And a delayed launch to Europe, to god knows when?

This is just insanity.

The number WAS 1million in the States by the end of the year. Now its lowered, on the low estimate to HALF that number! What in the HELL will be the supply situation like in Japan?

Sony should have waited. 1month could have made a huge difference methinks.

Amazingly the numbers will be almost identical worldwide with the Xbox 360, which is just as pathetic this year as it was for Microsoft last year.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
That's a pretty ignorant statement. They weren't forced into launching early, they just ****ed up production. Do you honestly think Sony was planning to launch in Spring 2007 or later?

No, Sony was planning to launch in Spring 2006. Right? RIGHT?

KINGMOKU

sonycowboy said:
Amazingly the numbers will be almost identical worldwide with the Xbox 360, which is just as pathetic this year as it was for Microsoft last year.
I'm sorry, but maybe my brain isnt working right.

What do you mean by this?

threeball

Banned
Thinking the PS3 will sell 400k on a monthly basis is really stretching it

I'd be surprised at a steady 200k per month sales trend for PS3

AniHawk

moku said:

The market leader is producing just about as many this year as the guys that were in distant, distant second did last year.

Mojovonio

Banned
hey guys, won't the 360 always be a less expensive console than the PS3?

That won't matter though.

unless you're trying to explain why the PS2 is still selling

C4Lukins

moku said:

The PS3's amount of consoles available for its first holliday are similar to the numbers 360 put up during its launch last year. Both systems lost a lot of holliday sales because of shitty early production.

threeball said:

I can't see a $500-$600 console selling much during the Spring either. Just way too much money

moku said:

Xbox 360 shipments in 2005 worlwide were 1.5M shipped and PS3 will likely be quite similar (with both having a good number shipped, still in transit, and not yet sold through a retailer)

kevm3

If Sony loses MGS4 exclusivity and Microsoft announces a 360 price drop with the release of Halo 3, we very well may see the 360 leading this generation imo.

neptunes

what, 400k a month?!

I think thats KIND of stretching it.

not even something as disposable(and cheap) as the DS could sell that much on a monthly basis.

C4Lukins

threeball said:

Yeah it seems very optimistic. I bet it can maintain that through march, but after that I think it will drop down to 360 numbers until a pricedrop. The only place I see it making up 360's lead over the course of next year is in Japan.

KINGMOKU

sonycowboy said:
Xbox 360 shipments in 2005 worlwide were 1.5M shipped and PS3 will likely be quite similar (with both having a good number shipped, still in transit, and not yet sold through a retailer)
Ahhhh. Okay. Brainfart there.

I wonder what Nintendo thinks about all this?

Top Bottom