• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Clones/Copycats/Rip-Offs in gaming?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So if there is one certainty in this (and any) medium is that if someone comes up with a good idea for a game there are gonna be a ton of folks who then try to imitate that idea.

Sometimes though, the results are great:

Original: Dungeon Master

L6M54oB.jpg

Clone: Eye of the Beholder

zFn5suI.jpg

Eye of the Beholder took Dungeon Master's first person real time dungeon crawling and puzzle solving and added the AD&D ruleset to it as well as some great VGA graphics. Easily as good as DM and arguably better.

Original: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series

F5ctM6h.jpg

Clone: Aggressive Inline

cc8aAMD.jpg

Taking the same tight responsive controls, clever objective based levels and addictive score attack gameplay of Tony Hawk but then opening up the levels by removing the time limits and making the maps bigger and the objectives broader it created a game so good that Tony Hawk would then rip off their campaign structure for Tony Hawk 4 and beyond.

Original: The Gold Box games

336Gt8s.jpg

Clone: The Northlands Trilogy

NQ4dfB4.jpg

Taking the Gold Box games trademark mix of first person dungeon crawling, open world overmap exploration and isometric tactical combat, but using the Dark Eye ruleset and adding a heavy dose of survival elements to the travel, you end up with a very compelling and challenging trio of RPG's.

As Pablo Picasso famously said: "Good artists copy; great artists steal", so what other great copies are out there?

Sinatar

Was going to say Age of Empires to Star Wars Galatic Battle Grounds...

You read my mind.

Well that's a specific instance where they literally licensed the Age of Empires 2 engine and made a total conversion out of it, lol.

But yea it was solid.

Crash Team Racing and Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed are the only Mario Kart clones that are really good. Diddy Kong Racing... is ok.

Really good? I'd say *fucking good*, imo.

Well... Sonic took 2 games to get it right, while Crash got it right the first time but kinda dropped the ball after it.

But yeah, I guess they're actually on par with Mario Kart. Sonic especially was a really pleasant surprise since the first game wasn't all that good.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd disagree that games that use the formula like Okami and Darksiders ought to be saddled with the clone moniker.

Golden Axe Warrior, now that's a Zelda clone.

Sinatar

Since we're talking about great Mario kart-emups I'd like to throw Blur into the ring. Really great unsung game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Original: Minecraft

Minecraft_Win10_Beta_-10.png

Clone: Dragon Quest Builders

Dragon-Quest-Builders_2015_07-22-15_004.0.jpg

It's not a 100% clone (it's a clone in an aspect where the building, crafting, food intake, and tile aesthetic are very similar) but it's still a damn good clone because it pulled me in even if I'm not a Minecraft fan. Heck this is my GOTY so far (unless FFXV or TLG are as great).

best in terms of game quality would probably go to one of the quake clones (probably reflex. maybe warsow)

they're not exactly impressive because multiplayer quake is such a simple & polished game to begin with, but it's hard to argue with the result

Archtreyz

I don't know if it's the best, but the SMT series is a great pokemon clone, and even surpasses the original.
I wouldn't really call it a Pokémon clone, since they only share one aspect. Digimon Cyber Sleuth Story, however, is hardcore a Persona clone, even though it's not as good as Persona.

I don't think Saints Row 2 was trying to copy EXACTLY GTA (SR went its own direction afteer a while), but goddamn that game was fraking fun. Still play it today.

latest

Could Mario Golf be considered the best Hot Shots Golf clone even if it was made by the same people on the same engine...?

I don't know if it's the best, but the SMT series is a great pokemon clone, and even surpasses the original.

As much as I love Pokémon, SMT precedes it by 4 years...

Run Saber on the SNES? Its heavy inspired (cough *clone*, coughcoughcough) by Strider and is a little forgettable except for...

URCrFaT.jpg

... having two player co-op, which is rad. Its not a better game, but is a very fun 2 player game. A bit short, but worth a playthrough or two for sure.

Alien Isolation takes alot of stuff from System Shock.

I wouldn't really say thats very accurate.

Top Bottom