• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo grabs iPhone top grossing #1 and #2 in the UK

Chittagong

Gold Member
fHR3qpg.jpg

Pretty phenomenal start for their mobile ambitions.

And yes, I know Niantic and TPC /= Nintendo, but they are still IPs previously exclusive to Nintendo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Expected - they will make a bunch of money this December alone.

Next year we will add Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem to the mix. You might not buy their hardware...but you will have that Nintendo account lol.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
TBH anything but first place would have been a surprise. It's a new game, it's Mario. Adding to that the appstore was plastered with Super Mario Run banners last I checked. More interested to see how it holds up over time.

Shiggy

I'm more surprised that Pokemon Go remains that high in the UK. Mario Run being a big success was to be expected.

They are incredibly resourceful when it comes to tough times, they will squeeze revenue out of a rock. This year Wii U was dying, 3DS fading and NX delayed - BOOM, Pokémon Go, Super Mario Run and NES Mini

Whilst Nintendo seemingly fucked up this year on the hardware they still have the big names to fall back on. Nintendo are more about the characters than the hardware, and those characters can go anywhere when times get hard.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
They will have dozens of millions of people playing their games on iOS/Androïd. That's a good thing for brand recognition, now will it help move people to Switch, and to what extent?

VariantX

It cost $ after a few levels is probably 99.99% of bad ratings at least what I saw

That market truly is fucked for trying to sell anything. You'd have to be a Nintendo or a Square Enix to even get people to reluctantly spend a mere $10. People spend that on their morning coffee or lunch and don't even blink twice about it over a game you can probably get dozens of hours of enjoyment out of.

JoeM86

I though Pokemon Go was already dead but is at second place 5 months after release

People seem to think it's dead because they're not playing it, but it's still the most played game at the moment and they just started a new campaign with Generation 2 Pokémon

iMax

Pokemon Go isn't a Nintendo game though. I thought it was developed by Niantic and The Pokemon Co.?

Hermii

This would be expected with the way its been promoted by apple. Anything else would have been disapointing.

The question is if it has legs.

JoeM86

This would be expected with the way its been promoted by apple. Anything else would have been disapointing.

The question is if it has legs.

It'll probably have play legs, but not financial legs unless new features get added to it down the line

vareon

I though Pokemon Go was already dead but is at second place 5 months after release

A huge amount of people has stopped playing, giving it the impression of people massively abandoning it (kinda true). But given the incredibly huge initial userbase, the amount of people still playing right now is enough to let it stay in top 10ish for now.

Pokemon Go isn't a Nintendo game though. I thought it was developed by Niantic and The Pokemon Co.?

Yep, obviously the Nintendo connection is there with their shares in Pokemon Co, but everyone just assumes that it's Nintendo. Same as Google also are still invested in Niantic which was originally under their main umbrella.

JoeM86

Yep, obviously the Nintendo connection is there with their shares in Pokemon Co, but everyone just assumes that it's Nintendo. Same as Google also are still invested in Niantic which was originally under their main umbrella.

Because Nintendo had a hand in the development of the game, with Iwata working on things on it up until his passing and Nintendo developing the GO Plus.

Let's not diminish their input please

Goes to show just how strong the Nintendo brand along with its IPs are. I just hope this helps them in the traditional console and handheld space because I don't want a world where the only Mario game I can play is a game like this.

JoeM86

Goes to show just how strong the Nintendo brand along with its IPs are. I just hope this helps them in the traditional console and handheld space because I don't want a world where the only Mario game I can play is a game like this.

Based on the recent success of Sun & Moon, it shows that Nintendo's idea for mobile leveraging into dedicated works :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

It def. will help them - even if its just to raise awareness of their IPs. It worked well for Pokemon Go - 3DS sales rising, old Pokemon games performing better and S/M having a ridiculous launch.

Everyone who plays their mobile game will end up having a Nintendo account - which means Nintendo will have established a connection to those users, which will be used to promote their consoles.

Because Nintendo had a hand in the development of the game, with Iwata working on things on it up until his passing and Nintendo developing the GO Plus.

I wouldn't necessarily conflate Iwata with Nintendo though. I mean yes, he was the president of the company, but he personally had a deep history with Pokémon, and the connection was more specific to him rather than the entire company. Nintendo itself was involved as far the GO Plus is concerned, of course, and that's pretty in-depth, but it's also highly specific to certain functionality.

So yeah, they're obviously connected with it, but I think any reference to that connection lacking a handful of asterisks is borderline.

What's with the 3 star rating?

10$ price

It's not free.

It cost $ after a few levels is probably 99.99% of bad ratings at least what I saw

Edit: And yes, 10 bucks.

Any up-font pricing is instantly seen as a negative for a looooot of typical mobile users, and yeah, $10 is obviously a little steep. People flipped their shit on the iOS ratings when Monument Valley had that what, $1 DLC?

I'm not but even they admitted that they profits from the game were nowhere near what the hype expected.

Reading their shareholder letter implies that Nintendo had no input in developement but Pokemon Co did

This mobile game application is developed and distributed by Niantic, Inc. The Pokémon Company, which is
an affiliated company of Nintendo Co., Ltd. (the “Company”), holds the ownership rights to Pokémon. The
Pokémon Company is going to receive a licensing fee as well as compensation for collaboration in the
development and operations of the application

No mention of Nintendo being compensated for development.

Top Bottom