• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo grabs iPhone top grossing #1 and #2 in the UK

duckroll

Arguing over whether Pokemon is "technically" Nintendo or not is so boring. Who cares. Just hurry up and release SMR on Android.

Shouldn't we just count the Pokémon company as Nintendo?

That's what I've been doing since forever.

Not really as that's discounting the other 66% of the owners. It's certainly heavily associated with them though.

Arguing over whether Pokemon is "technically" Nintendo or not is so boring. Who cares. Just hurry up and release SMR on Android.

There's no argument, Pokemon is NOT Nintendo.

Yeah will certainly give it a go once it hits Android.

This is great news, I hope that this business model proves to be a success on balance. Though I also hope that the "expanded audience" buy it, and that the majority of payers aren't just people who currently own a traditional video games device like a 3DS or a PS4.#

All this asking Nintendo to hurry up and release Super Mario Run on Android is so boring ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

At least arguing about Pokemon GO makes the time passing by faster while waiting for the Android version.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Not really as that's discounting the other 66% of the owners. It's certainly heavily associated with them though.

There's no argument, Pokemon is NOT Nintendo.

Yeah will certainly give it a go once it hits Android.

Nintendo has more than 33% control of Pokemon sorry to burst your bubble. It is basically Nintendo in the end.

There have been tons of good breakdowns over the year as to why.

Anecdotal, but everyone I know with an iPhone downloaded this. This is people who don't really game either, they just wanted to see what Mario was like on their phone.

Not sure how many bought the game after the demo ends, but I do know everyone was loving what they played of the first world.

JoeM86

I'm not but even they admitted that they profits from the game were nowhere near what the hype expected.

Reading their shareholder letter implies that Nintendo had no input in developement but Pokemon Co did

No mention of Nintendo being compensated for development.

No, I know. People conflate the entirety of it to Nintendo, but that's not to say Nintendo had nothing to do with it

klier

Wonder how much revenue Mario Run will generate being $10,be very interesting to see

Half a billion seem on the low side for me. Particularly because Mario has lasting power.

And seeing Mario in the app store next to all those crappy games is kind of weird.

acm2000

Now let's see the Android chart... :p

d0xh037.png

29qnrEL.png

Rockstar making bank off of Bully

stilgar

So :

- Nintendo as the majority of shares in the Pokemon Company.
- Nintendo also has shares in Niantic, who developed the game.
- Nintendo backed the game financially.

Pokemon Go is not some kind of licensing to another developer, it is supervised and financed by Nintendo.

JoeM86

So :

Pokemon Go is not some kind of licensing to another developer, it is supervised and financed by Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't have majority in TPC. It's split like 36/32/32 Game Freak, Nintendo & Creatures Inc., but like Niantic, Nintendo own a part of the others

Fbh

Great news.
I'm not too interested in the game but I hope Nintendo can push the market of higher priced games on mobile

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo doesn't have majority in TPC. It's split like 36/32/32 Game Freak, Nintendo & Creatures Inc., but like Niantic, Nintendo own a part of the others

Didnt nintendo literally set up the TPC? Like forget shares for a minute, they straight up made TPC with their own two hands. They own them in them most basic sense

champloo

So :

Come on, Nintendo themselves has come out and said that Pokemon Go had very limited influence on them financially.

stilgar

You're right, my mistake. But Nintendo owns the publishing rights of Pokemon, if I remember correctly.

I like to imagine sometimes that even Nintendo doesn't know who owns Pokémon sometime.

Hey, maybe it's a question they use for interviews for giggles.

That market truly is fucked for trying to sell anything. You'd have to be a Nintendo or a Square Enix to even get people to reluctantly spend a mere $10. People spend that on their morning coffee or lunch and don't even blink twice about it over a game you can probably get dozens of hours of enjoyment out of.

Thank Apple and Google for that, they created that ecosystem.

JoeM86

You're right, my mistake. But Nintendo owns the publishing rights of Pokemon, if I remember correctly.

Yep, and majority of trademarks in the west are sole Nintendo, while in Japan they're split

Didnt nintendo literally set up the TPC? Like forget shares for a minute, they straight up made TPC with their own two hands. They own them in them most basic sense

Yeah, because they had so much to deal with in regards to merchandising requests, they felt the need to create TPC. It started off as just a company for the Pokémon Centers in Japan, Pokemon Center Co., Ltd., then in 2000 became Pokemon Co., Ltd. to be more encompassing, and in 2001, Pokémon USA Inc. was set up and later became TPCi

Who's begging for a port? This is a multiplatform game. They're just slow.

Nintendo isn't slow, it's probably done on Android given it's made with Unity, outside of testing on devices.

Apple worked with Nintendo and has given the game a tremendous amount of marketing (unprecedented exposure on the App Store for three months up until its release, featured in Apple device marketing etc), which benefits Nintendo as much as it does Apple.

It's obvious the wait is due to timed exclusivity (Apple would never have even have announced the app to the world on their stage in September otherwise), not Nintendo being slow.

to be fair,this game is way overpriced for the amount of actual content in it.

unless they plan on adding more levels for free....

The IAP is called "Worlds 1-6", not "full game unlock", so I wouldn't be surprised if Worlds 7-12 land when Mario Switch is released, or when the game launched on Android.

And I wouldn't expect them to be free, since the game's continued development isn't necessarily going to be funded by initial purchases of Worlds 1-6, unlike something like Overwatch where its continued development and costs are being funded by a small proportion of whales that spend a lot of money on in-game purchases.

Dredd97

Does this bode well for the future of Switch though?

why bother with a dedicated console to play nintendo games if you can play a flavour of them on your phone / tablet?

no this is not a nintendo is doomed post, more a 'what direction should nintendo go'?

why bother with a dedicated console to play nintendo games if you can play a flavour of them on your phone / tablet?

no this is not a nintendo is doomed post, more a 'what direction should nintendo go'?

I've often thought this, it really depends on whether Nintendo's mobile games end up "absorbing" what used to be Nintendo's handheld game-design. Switch is getting 3D Mario, but will it be getting the next evolution of 2D Mario? Mario Run is being billed as that next evolution past NSMB U...

Handheld and console game design has been converging this gen on Nintendo devices, but Nintendo was still making games that were undeniably bespoke handheld titles this gen, like the excellent Rusty's Real Deal Baseball or BoxBoy for instance. I hope that kind of game design can live on on Switch.

DrWong

Synergie. Look at Poke Sun & Moon sales.

N.Grim

Look at Pokemon Go

oti

Banned

If anything this forces Nintendo to make their games feel more premium than they are right now. If NSMB Switch looks exactly like SMR than yes, people will think like this.

Retrobox

To be fair, Pokemon Go will probably never be matched in what it did, no matter what Nintendo releases. It was / is simply a phenomenon and will be extremely hard to replicate.

The influence it has had on 3DS sales and Sun / Moon is certainly encouraging though. I'm sure Nintendo would be perfectly content with similar sales boosts in the future, even if they won't match the Pokemon Go effect.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

From a marketing POV, there are many interesting possibilities. Their iPhone apps could easily link to Switch ads. Through My Nintendo account, they could offer a rebate for Mario Switch if you own Mario Run, etc.

Xater

Super Mario Run is the #1 free and top grossing app in Germany as well.

Also has a 3 star rating, because fuck paying for things right?

Fliesen

Who's begging for a port? This is a multiplatform game. They're just slow.

I'm quite certain that this rationale wouldn't have been accepted in Rise of the Tomb Raider threads. I understood "No port begging" to be meant to prevent threads from derailing into discussions about platforms instead of having the discussion about the game itself.

I mean, look at this thread, we have huge screenshots of the Android marketplace charts :p
But then again, this isn't the OT, but rather a thread about chart performance for a specific platform.. So i guess it's fine here, as it compares charts across multiple platforms.

I'm still rather confused by your post, to be honest as i'd consider "hurry up and release X on platform Y" textbook port begging, even if it is a timed exclusive. :/

Top Bottom