• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Is GOTY For Shuhei Yoshida And FF Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi

Shuhei Yoshida on FFXV

Final Fantasy XV dropped the rules of the so-called JRPG, and I think it was successful in the bold attempt to redefine Final Fantasy on the same level with the current standard of RPG in the western industry with high action combat and open world.

The attitude “FF=Challenger” isn’t just about technology. I thought it was wonderful to share the situation of development by communicating directly with the users, and to convey the feeling of the world and the characters in advance with a movie and animation.

I think it’s a monumental achievement that will go down in the history of RPG, showing overseas game fan that the Japanese AAA gaming industry is also working hard

hxSeZxM.jpg

Sakaguchi on FFXV

“I’m actually playing Final Fantasy XV, and it’s fun! By watching the movie, I was drawn into the world view even more.”

In other news, around 140+ Japanese developers voted for their GOTY and the following ended up Top 3.

1. Pokemon GO
2. Persona 5
3. Final Fantasy XV

Source via DS

// Mod Edit:

Full list:

Went through the whole list and counted the GotY votes

Pokemon GO - 22
Persona 5 - 21
Final Fantasy XV - 15
The Last Guardian - 8
INSIDE - 7
Overwatch - 7
Street Fighter V - 7
Uncharted 4 - 4
Summer Lessons - 4
Shadowverse - 4
Dragon Quest Builders - 3
PSVR - 3
Crash Royale - 3
Battlefield 1 - 2
Broforce - 2
Life is Strange - 2
Titanfall 2 - 2
Zero Time Dilemma - 2
Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain - 2
Rez Infinite - 2

And a list of games that got one vote

Fallout 4
Quantum Break
Pandemic Legacy
Shovel Knight
Blazblue CentralFiction
Arcade Archives Darius
Berserk Warriors
KoF 98 Ultimate Match Online
Pavillion
Nintendo Classic
Reigns
Neo ATLAS 1469
Zero Latency VR
Undertale
Kitchen
Tales of Berseria
Idolmaster VR
Idolmaster Starlight Stage
Dead Rising 4
Yakuza 6
Blossom Blast
Civilization VI
Line Wobbler
The Crew Ultimate Edition
Steel Combat
DoAX3
Monster Super League
Seven Knights
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links
Yokai Watch 3
Five Nights at Freddy's
League of Legends
Battleshield Empire
The Tomorrow Children
Buried Town

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
“I’m actually playing Final Fantasy XV, and it’s fun! By watching the movie, I was drawn into the world view even more
Meh, say it was a mistake Gooch.

FFXV is a very good game, currently replaying it again and enjoying it a lot.

No love for TLG? :(

Trojan

FFXV was in my Top 10 this year. It's got its flaws but it was such a blast to play and the combat overhaul was innovative.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I have been enjoying XV more than I ever did XIII. It has its flaws but is overall very enjoyable! :D

rjinaz

For me too. But then, when you mostly only enjoy open world rpgs the pickings can be slim.

I'm still playing it and it's a fun game. I'm enjoying my time with it. In the end it's not going to grab me the same way others games have (like FF XII) where I'll come back to it again, but for a one time adventure it's a pretty great game. I hope the series continues in a similar direction.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So when do we start betting Persona 5 will be GAF's 2017 GOTY?

Yoshida must only play Japanese games. Made by Squeenix.

If so, he should have nominated Dragon Quest Builders because it's a really really good game. GOTY worthy even.

daveo42

Banned
I continue to enjoy FFXV and I think it does do a lot of things right, but...

Sakaguchi said:
“I’m actually playing Final Fantasy XV, and it’s fun! By watching the movie, I was drawn into the world view even more.”

the story and how SE told it isn't really one of them. I think the only thing the film had going for it was it was nice to look at and it even failed to do that at least 1/3rd of the time. Sad days when the Gooch compliments probably the worst story in franchise history.

Haunted

Yoshida must only play Japanese games. Made by Squeenix.
key point in his statement:

showing overseas game fan that the Japanese AAA gaming industry is also working hard

Like Famitsu giving out 40s to Japanese games when Japanese devs were desperately struggling (2008-2012) to prop the whole thing up, even if it was just a facade. National pride is serious business.

kennyamr

I read about this on another thread before, good to know FF is still dominant in Japan, at least as console games, despite Japan's inclination for mobile.

It definitely has a very thin story and the lack of cutscenes is disappointing... still I consider it my favorite #1 game of the year.

Manu

the story and how SE told it isn't really one of them. I think the only thing the film had going for it was it was nice to look at and it even failed to do that at least 1/3rd of the time. Sad days when the Gooch compliments probably the worst story in franchise history.

I'm glad you said "probably," otherwise this would've come out as hyperbolic!

wrowa

Why are people loling at Pokemon Go? Looking at how much of a social phenomenon it was everywhere in the world, it's really the one and only right choice for Goty. Nothing else was even remotely as influential as Pokemon Go.

That said, I'm still undecided what my personal game of the year is. FFXV is definitely among the top, though.

(I also feel that in terms of "dropping JRPG rules" both Xenoblades deserve more credit than FFXV)

Remember guys, people can like games for the reasons you don't like them. You don't have to overanalyze his words and claim that he has to do this for the future of Square Enix or Japanese games.
1) Cultural Phenomenon
2) Made a fuckton of money
3) Keeps making a fuckton of money

And since mobile games are kind of a big deal in Japan... yeah.
Ah....dang.

So when do we start betting Persona 5 will be GAF's 2017 GOTY?

You can't nominate a winter 2014 game as 2017 GOTY.
It will be too anime for some, if RDR2 manages to hit the deadline that will be GOTY. But I doubt R* will be able to do that.

I expect it to reach top 5 or maybe top 3 easily.

LordKasual

Banned
A great turn around for the series, despite its shortcomings. Things are looking up.

Edit:

Pokemon Go makes sense, that game made people lose their minds for a good couple of months. It couldn't maintain it, but nonetheless, it made everyone turn their heads.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Really enjoyed the game but I truly hope open-world is not the future of Final Fantasy from here on. I have had about all I can take of that formula.

artsi

I think Persona 5 is my personal GOTY this year, but FFXV comes close second. It's a damn good game.

Angel_DvA

So when do we start betting Persona 5 will be GAF's 2017 GOTY?.

I won't comment on your bait for MGSV, if you can't see how this game was great and won't be beaten in the next 5 years to come, I can't do nothing to change your mind but Persona 5 is better than FFXV in any way, it's the best representative of JRPG and a game that need to be praised, not FFXV so I agree with you for potential GOTY of 2017 ( in the West ).

Twookie

it's probably mine aswell, most fun I've had in quite a while. Wish the game turned out better than it did, but considering the info that has been revealed/rumored from the leaks, that the game turned out as good as it is I think is a big feat accomplish by Tabata and BD2.

Makes me optimistic of the future of FF.

LiK

it's probably mine aswell, most fun I've had in quite a while. Wish the game turned out better than it did, but considering the info that has been revealed/rumored from the leaks, that the game turned out as good as it is I think is a big feat accomplish by Tabata and BD2.

Makes me optimistic of the future of FF.

I'm hoping the DLC story content is good.

dracula_x

It was a joke, mayne.

If the slayer of Studio Liverpool and Evolution really thinks FF15 is the best game of the year, then more power to him.

after they lost F1 license, the fate of Studio Liverpool was basically sealed. I can understand why Studio Liverpool was closed.

Dargor

One of the best games of the year easily. Its so good I'm thinking about paying for the season pass.

TuXx

Glad Yosp and Sakaguchi enjoyed.

Don't know if I'd call it my GOTY, but XV is a solid game with a lot of redeeming qualities that Square should use going forward.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I won't comment on your bait for MGSV, if you can't see how this game was great and won't be beaten in the next 5 years to come, I can't do nothing to change your mind but Persona 5 is better than FFXV in any way, it's the best representative of JRPG and a game that need to be praised, not FFXV so I agree with you for potential GOTY of 2017 ( in the West ).

Even as much as Persona 5 will get the praise and all, what factors in GAF's GOTY is also how many people actually played it. Dragon Quest Builders is highly praised but it probably won't reach top 10 of GAF's GOTY. Persona 5 can definitely reach top 10 but I highly highly doubt it will be top 1.

Top Bottom