• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Is GOTY For Shuhei Yoshida And FF Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi

kiuo

Went in with low expectation and still came out disappointed, what a shame. Saw the potential and ambition it had but, the fact of the matter is that it came out incomplete, with noticeable story contents cut away.

Aside from being disappointed with the main story, I had a lot of problems with other aspect of the game as well. I struggled in battles more often with the camera and lockon than i was actually fighting. Found the side quests were just a bunch of boring fetch quests. Traversing the open world was not enjoyable and those load times made it worse. Hated not being able to do many hunts at once.
Flying was terrible, if you fked your landing, well then hoped you saved before that because it's game over.
I'd rather stick to driving and fast travel then deal with that. Not to mention the invisible walls you still be hitting while
flying.
Also why the heck can't you sleep and wake up at night or whatever time you choose? Sure, choosing hunts that only appear at night will allow you to choose to wait till it's dark but it'd be so much better to just be able to choose the time yourself at camp.

So, adding these issues and some other minor ones up just made the experience I had of the game a bad one. The game just wasn't for me, but glad others enjoyed it.

FF XV is great, I think one of the surprising positive for me is that there's so many hidden stuff in the game, I've played 80 hours, but just going to FF XV thread I see stuff that I haven't seen before, like unique attack animation etc, it make me think of how did you do that, or how did you find that, and it immediately make me want to play the game again.

It seems like people in this thread think that the people who like FFXV have deluded themselves into liking it, instead of accepting the fact that maybe people actually enjoy the game. Shocking, right?

I enjoy Sonic 2006, that doesn't mean I'm afraid of calling it a piece of shit.

kevin1025

Banned
It seems like people in this thread think that the people who like FFXV have deluded themselves into liking it, instead of accepting the fact that maybe people actually enjoy the game. Shocking, right?

Some people will never understand opinions. The rest will in a decade or so.

Mailbox

I enjoy Sonic 2006, that doesn't mean I'm afraid of calling it a piece of shit.

We equating FF15 to sonic 06 now?

FF15 has big problems, but its not a piece of shit. (I wouldn't give a piece of shit game over 100 hours of my life and a good chunk of my winter break)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like the concept of "I still like the game but I do want to criticize its flaws" is a concept so foreign to some. You either hate it absolutely or love it absolutely, no in-between is allowed.

Like for instance, I like FFXV as a whole--heck, I've platinumed it--but I do have a rather harsh view on its combat system, specifically about its camera.

And the sidequests.

And the story.

Etc.

LordKasual

Banned

Which must really hurt, because there are no real metrics by which to call the game bad. XV is a very easy game to nitpick at, but critically it has done quite well for itself despite its shortcomings. And for a game with such a nightmare development cycle, that's about as good as it gets.

Some people though...they hate the game so deeply that it must personally offend them that so many people enjoyed it. Which isn't surprising, since XV moved the franchise forward out of the depths of the Japanese niche and towards something more people can attempt to enjoy. Which ultimately is the best thing for the series, but everyone doesn't see it that way.

Thankfully the gaming world at large recognized the good in it over the bad.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nier, are you referring to the game where doing tasks for people for people in your COMMUNITY is more meaningful than running errands for total strangers?

So you are referring to the game where performing side quests rewards the player with well written banter between your protagonists that is not only sweet and/or funny but makes you care about its citizens. It even self depractingly acknowledges the silliness of being an errand whore for people.

The swords you are collecting have back stories and if you read them, you are consuming well written meaningful content in a superior video game. Oh and tell me how collecting frogs for a stranger in XV offers any benefit to your character. Compare that the utility of having a sword you can actually use.

Most Side quests never felt like wastes of my time in Nier because the payoff was good and it fleshed out the world by making the player care about its inhabitants and the lore. I never got that from XV, and the shit banter between the bros doesn't hold a candle to the banter in Nier. Not even close.

Keep in mind bud that I don't hate XV, I think it's vastly superior to 13 but I'm only pointing out shit I didn't like and why it's not my personal GOTY.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................... FFXV's sidequests are mostly boring fetch-quests crapaton but you don't get to say they're bad by comparing it to Nier, of all things, mannn. Nier's sidequests are all about fetch quests :(

I think the game has flaws, I'd also say it's one of my favourite games of the year. Very much like The Last Guardian, I know there's flaws but I'm enjoying the game too much to really care.

I bought it day one and still haven't even played it.

My older brother, on the other hand... this is his first Final Fantasy since 10, and it's also his favorite RPG of all time, I'd wager.

He played it all the way to just before the ending. He stopped, started it over, and now he's like lv57 and it's chapter 9 o.0

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Which must really hurt, because there are no real metrics by which to call the game bad. XV is a very easy game to nitpick at, but critically it has done quite well for itself despite its shortcomings. And for a game with such a nightmare development cycle, that's about as good as it gets.

It has the worst metacritic rating of the main numbered titles so I don't know if you would define that as "quite well". It's a miracle that this game actually came out after 10 years of development hell and still ended up being good.

I just finished the game and I can see why someone would pick it as their GOTY. The game has a lot of memorable moments. But as many have said, it is a very very flawed game. The battle system is frustrating with messed up camera and stupid friendly fire from spell. Most of the time the battle is so unorganized that I ended up hurting my team more than the enemy. It would be so much better if I can have total control on everyone like how Dagon Age Inquisition does. But with that being said, it's also very satisfying to warp around and do infinite air-combo and slam enemy to the ground. There are many other pros and cons that have been discussed already so I won't bother repeating it, but overall I really enjoy FFXV however I can't personally put it on the top of my GOTY list because of its flaws. There are so many other games this year that deserve the spot.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................... FFXV's sidequests are mostly boring fetch-quests crapaton but you don't get to say they're bad by comparing it to Nier, of all things, mannn. Nier's sidequests are all about fetch quests :(
Niers side quests at least provided a lot of good character development and world building. XVs side quests just end in some crap loot and another side quests that is the same but harder/more tedious.

It seems like the concept of "I still like the game but I do want to criticize its flaws" is a concept so foreign to some. You either hate it absolutely or love it absolutely, no in-between is allowed.

Like for instance, I like FFXV as a whole--heck, I've platinumed it--but I do have a rather harsh view on its combat system, specifically about its camera.

And the sidequests.

And the story.

Etc.

For real. I like the game but the flaws are there. I totally understand those who love and think it's GOTY material or whatever, but there being no in between is kind of ridiculous. Especially when the response to some of the criticism is, "Well the game is critically acclaimed and you're in the minority."

And the sidequests.

And the story.

Etc.
You ever been in a comic movie thread on GAF?

Zafir

And the sidequests.

And the story.

Etc.

Yeah I said that in another XV thread. People talk in extremes too much. Nothing new though, always happens.

I'm in the same boat, I quite like XV, but I think it's a very flawed game and wouldn't call it my GOTY.

I have been enjoying XV more than I ever did XIII. It has its flaws but is overall very enjoyable! :D

This. So much this.

I think FFXV falls flat when you compare it to your personal favorite FF, but when you realize where the franchise was coming from (FF13 universe) it's a great game that has made me care about final fantasy again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Niers side quests at least provided a lot of good character development and world building. XVs side quests just end in some crap loot and another side quests that is the same but harder/more tedious.

Well I suppose that's fair. Mechanically speaking though they are basically the same--in fact Nier is probably even worse in terms of how its fetch-questing its sidequests.

For real. I like the game but the flaws are there. I totally understand those who love and think it's GOTY material or whatever, but there being no in between is kind of ridiculous. Especially when the response to some of the criticism is, "Well the game is critically acclaimed and you're in the minority."

Yes, that is really baffling. It's like a softened version of "Shut up, don't talk!"

You ever been in a comic movie thread on GAF?

Hahaha, well I can imagine.

Yeah I said that in another XV thread. People talk in extremes too much. Nothing new though, always happens.

I'm in the same boat, I quite like XV, but I think it's a very flawed game and wouldn't call it my GOTY.

Yeah, the same.

Say what you want about the game. Yoko Shimomura did wonders for the music.

OMG.

Yeap, the OST of the game is incredible.

Yeah super disappointing honestly. 😥
Poor Gooch, maybe he's standards have just dropped in his old age.
joker-not-sure-if-serious-o.gif

Very long development times usually indicate development hell, not how much care and content they're putting into the game. This shouldn't be a reason to raise expectations, but to lower them.

Development hell means bad planning and risk management strategy from the team, which should also be counted as a factor of disappointment. It shouldn't happen in the first place.

Also this. It goes both way, really.

It seems that everyone should be grouped into either:
1. who think it's GOTY
2. who think it's a piece of shit

Where am I then?

Say what you want about the game. Yoko Shimomura did wonders for the music.

OMG.

This, I can agree 100%.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That Sakaguchi quote... I really wish people would stop translating sekaikan/世界観 as "world view." It just means "setting."

Pokemon GO really ? I know it created a phenomenan but come on.

So many other better mobile games with depth and content but name sells

Name sells, huh. Because Pokémon Shuffle really tore up the charts, right?

cripterion

I'm am currently playing it again (I had put the game on hold cause was waiting for the promised patch...). The game completely falls apart in the later chapters. I honestly can't take anyone seriously who approves this wankery of story. And that's coming from someone who was relatively positive about the game up till the early open ended chapters.

Just out of curiosity I'd like for people to explain how the XV side quests are better than Nier's in any way. They're literally go to x and back or kill x with no narrative payoff.

Pein

Banned
I love the game and its my goty but I can't deny that it needed more development time, so much stuff feels rushed or missing and I can't help but thinking if this came out next year, with more dev time it'd be on my greatest of all time list.

Just out of curiosity I'd like for people to explain how the XV side quests are better than Nier's in any way. They're literally go to x and back or kill x with no narrative payoff.
Niers sidequests have narrative pay off. They build the world and help tell the story of desperation and people just trying to survive during bleak times. Almost every sidequest in the game gives you dialogue between the main characters dealing with the sidequest. Grimoire Weiss will sometimes even do some light 4th wall breaking and chatise Nier for being an errand boy. Nier himself will comment on how hes just trying to help or
after the time skip and Yoona's kidnapping
speak on how he just wants to kill em all.
No they don't usually tie into the main story threads but what it does it help solidify just how helpless the world of Nier is.
XV, on the other hand, provides only the tiniest of details into the world. You have the journalist that just asks for pictures, his quests don't provide many extra footnotes, and neither do much of the others. The jeweler just thanks you for your help and sends you on your way for more jewels, the scientist lady just asks for more frogs, the hunter for more dog tags, etc.
The approach to sidequests for both games are nearly identical, the execution is worlds apart though.

Edit: just realized I read your post backwards. Whoops.

Go_Ly_Dow

Niers sidequests have narrative pay off. They build the world and help tell the story of desperation and people just trying to survive during bleak times. Almost every sidequest in the game gives you dialogue between the main characters dealing with the sidequest. Grimoire Weiss will sometimes even do some light 4th wall breaking and chatise Nier for being an errand boy. Nier himself will comment on how hes just trying to help or
No they don't usually tie into the main story threads but what it does it help solidify just how helpless the world of Nier is.
XV, on the other hand, provides only the tiniest of details into the world. You have the journalist that just asks for pictures, his quests don't provide many extra footnotes, and neither do much of the others. The jeweler just thanks you for your help and sends you on your way for more jewels, the scientist lady just asks for more frogs, the hunter for more dog tags, etc.
The approach to sidequests for both games are nearly identical, the execution is worlds apart though.

Yup, BD2 could learn a lot from Yoko Taro and his team. XV had some of the dullest NPCs in the series.

Lynx_7

Well a) never trust Amazon JP reviews and b) they said it's the fastest selling FF yet. It's not going to beat 13 but certainly will get up there.

That'd be somewhat disappointing to be honest. In a time when big open world RPGs are thriving and seeing franchise growth across the board (Fallout, Witcher, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls), FF XV stagnating or, even worse, performing worse than XIII worldwide wouldn't be a good sign for the series. Specially when you consider that the major reason Square is moving away from Turn based into Action is because they want to expand their (western) audience.

Can't believe my favorite game is being used as an argument, flawed in my view but I already went there this morning with another gentleman/lady so I'm not doing it again, against this game which I also like but apparently I can't cause it's supposed to be the worst thing since online passes and any other idea or argument is made moot.

Gotta love the fanbase community.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I doubt they've finished it.

I'm glad Sakaguchi is playing it though, because he has no filter and he's going to complain to Tabata about the story when they next share a drink.

Worry not friend, my point was that anybody defending any one of FFXV's mechanics is ludicrous when they were all out-done by B-tier JRPGs from last gen was my point and you did a much better job articulating it that I ever could.

dramatis

Well a) never trust Amazon JP reviews and b) they said it's the fastest selling FF yet. It's not going to beat 13 but certainly will get up there.
It's true that Amazon JP reviews are no good, but your second metric is also worthless because FF15 is the first mainline (excepting FF14 for obvious reasons) FF game to launch simultaneously worldwide.

Crayon

I'm eager to play more and form an opinion. For my part, it's not goty. But so far I can say it will be memorable. I have friends here and there asking if they should buy it and I don't know yet.

fvng

Yes but I explained how there is a better payoff when Nier does it that contributes to world and character building in a way that makes it worth the effort, XV does not. I can forgive fetch quests if there is meaning behind them and a decent payoff. And the writing in Nier is so terrific that I looked forward to the post quest banter when it was completed

Edit: I see people above are backing up my feelings in a more detailed way that reflects my own feelings

the purpose and payoff are justified in Nier. They're boring filler in XV

shenhaZ

Neo Member
People who complain about sales and metacritic didn't realize that japanese console market in the recent years is squeezing and the average score for AAA games too?

Cincaid

As a Scandinavian it's really cool seeing the highest ranking non-Japanese game being INSIDE (from a Danish game studio). And it's also ranked overall quite high!

Top Bottom