• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Is GOTY For Shuhei Yoshida And FF Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi

Ishida

Banned
This is ridiculous. That's not what people mean by "filler".

Let me guess, you're redefining "filler" in such a way that every RPG ever made has filler. So now you can turn it around and say "b-b-but your favorite RPG has filler in it too! Ha! Your criticism of Final Fantasy XV has been invalidated!"

Whatever man. It's okay to like a game that someone else didn't like. Doesn't make your opinion more correct than anybody else's.

I'm "redefining" filler? So what is the absolute, objective definition of filler in a video game?

Also yes, pretty much RPG ever made DOES have 'filler'.

Skellybroski88

Neo Member
Played about 40 hours and just traded it in today. I don't see this as a game of the year. The story was absolutely terrible. The combat started out fun for me, but slowly I realized how nearly impossible it was to die. The final straw was during a major story boss fight. It was very impressive visually, but I literally was just mashing the attack button. Literally mashing. The boss wasn't really attacking me in any way. It let me stand next to him and wail away at him.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im installing the game now so let's hope I like the game.

After The Last Guardian and Overwatch, FFXV has some big shoes to fill for the GotY spot.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I disagree.

Now Shu has been sweet on P5 for a while now, that i'm more inclined to agree with him on

Rurunaki

FFXV is up there for me as far as one of the best games released this year. It's a mess but what a beautiful mess it is.

In a year where Overwatch, Doom and Hitman dominated my choice for goty, I didn't expect FFXV to swoop in and be my favourite the way it has.

mcz117chief

Doom 4 and Shadow Warrior 2 got 0 votes...
giphy.gif

FFXV is absolutely phenomenal though.

“I’m actually playing Final Fantasy XV, and it’s fun! By watching the movie, I was drawn into the world view even more.” -- Director of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Fj0823

Final Fantasy XV isn't even really a Final Fantasy.

-No full Party
-No strong females in the team
-No turn battles
-Summons are a Joke
-Unremarkable music

XIII on the other hand was a masterpiece and I can't wait for it to be remastered.

And thus the Final Fantasy Cycle begins anew

I loved XV so much

Ishida

Banned

-No full Party
-No turn battles
-Summons are a Joke
-Unremarkable music

I loved XV so much

Don't forget it has cars and guns.

Guns?! In MY Final Fantasy?

-No full Party
-No turn battles
-Summons are a Joke
-Unremarkable music

XIII on the other hand was a masterpiece and I can't wait for it to be remastered.

I loved XV so much
Okay you got me there. I was so confused at first!

But you're right about the cycle.

Really enjoyed FFXV despite its numerous flaws (largely story related).

I wouldn't be surprised if Shu picked it in any other year but surprised that it wasn't TLG in this one.

Good choice regardless though.

Leeness

If people don't like the game. That's fine. Their opinion. What I don't like is when some act like it's a sin when others like the game and try to explain to you why you shouldn't like it.

Yep! Agreed.

This was very much my game of the year (and one of my fave FFs), though TLG kind of bumped it down to #2. It can't be helped, I can't resist Trico. If TLG had come out on January 1, then FFXV would be far and away my game of the year lol.

Byvar

Not surprising for Gooch since his PSN account (at least I think it is, it's a Japanese account that matches his name and twitter handle) only shows 3 games installed when you look it up on PS4: FFXV, Uncharted 4 and FF Type-0. Guess that means he preferred it over Uncharted 4 though!

I don't think he actually plays many games when he's not not streaming or drinking or both. Not on Xbox either.
And that's okay. Spend that extra time crafting a new game please. :D

fvng

If people don't like the game. That's fine. Their opinion. What I don't like is when some act like it's a sin when others like the game and try to explain to you why you shouldn't like it.

Yep! Agreed.

This was very much my game of the year (and one of my fave FFs), though TLG kind of bumped it down to #2. It can't be helped, I can't resist Trico. If TLG had come out on January 1, then FFXV would be far and away my game of the year lol.

I definitely agree, as long as constructive criticism isn't being rejected. I enjoyed XV (not as good as TLG) but I still picked out my issues with it in this thread

Not surprising for Gooch since his PSN account (at least I think it is, it's a Japanese account that matches his name and twitter handle) only shows 3 games installed when you look it up on PS4: FFXV, Uncharted 4 and FF Type-0. Guess that means he preferred it over Uncharted 4 though!

I don't think he actually plays many games when he's not not streaming or drinking or both. Not on Xbox either.

where does he stream? that psn account doesn't pull any trophies when i looked it up

Byvar

where does he stream? that psn account doesn't pull any trophies when i looked it up
I meant his Mistwalker streams on Nicovideo and sometimes YouTube.
And his trophies are private, as is everything else except for the games he owns and his name and region.

He only played 3 games? Interesting. Maybe he games on the Wii U? Was getting a feel for it so he could develop The Last Story 2?

Anyways, I'm surprised he played Type-0.

Koozek

He only played 3 games? Interesting. Maybe he games on the Wii U? Was getting a feel for it so he could develop The Last Story 2?

Anyways, I'm surprised he played Type-0.
Probably to play Episode Duscae :D He played that and gave Tabata feedback according to interviews.

Final Fantasy Creator Praises Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae Demo
Sakaguchi called me after playing Episode Duscae to give me his feedback of what he played. He told me that he found it great and that he found it to be very enjoyable and interesting. We discussed some things about the battles and the different ways of playing that are expected from a franchise like this one. It seems today that there are a lot of gamers who want to play a more traditional role-playing game, while others prefer something more active. I talked with Sakaguchi about finding a way we could make both groups happy.​

Leeness

I definitely agree, as long as constructive criticism isn't being rejected. I enjoyed XV (not as good as TLG) but I still picked out my issues with it in this thread

Yah, definitely. It's got its problems, for sure, and I hope some are addressed with some of the DLC, but they definitely didn't stop me from loving it super hard haha. :)

theofficefan99

Absolutely ridiculous. The amount of passes this awful and unfinished game gets for no good reason whatsoever is amazing.

<------ And I know about awful unfinished games.

Yup, legit. And this is coming from a gigantic fan of the series. This shit is seriously unacceptable. Perhaps I'm crazy but I really do think some people are still in the "honeymoon phase," aka trying really hard to delude themselves. I was there for a short time, saying it's "more than the sum of its parts," this that yadda yadda, then after Chapter 4 I was like... nope. Wtf is this

Ishida

Banned
Yup, legit. And this is coming from a gigantic fan of the series. This shit is seriously unacceptable. Perhaps I'm crazy but I really do think some people are still in the "honeymoon phase," aka trying really hard to delude themselves. I was there for a short time, saying it's "more than the sum of its parts," this that yadda yadda, then after Chapter 4 I was like... nope. Wtf is this

No, you are not crazy. You just have a different opinion and different tastes than the people who like it. And according to the bolded, I think you are having quite the hard time understanding that your tastes are not the universal standard.

I heavily, HEAVILY disliked MGSV but I'm not arrogant enough to claim that "perhaps people are deluding themselves into liking it". And if some VIP picked it as their GOTY, I wouldn't meltdown over it.

theofficefan99

No, you are not crazy. You just have a different opinion and different tastes than the people who like it. And according to the bolded, I think you are having quite the hard time understanding that your tastes are not the universal standard.

I heavily, HEAVILY disliked MGSV but I'm not arrogant enough to claim that "perhaps people are deluding themselves into liking it". And if some VIP picked it as their GOTY, I wouldn't meltdown over it.

I will say it is arrogant, I've thought about it.

I will say that I do think not everyone is deluding themselves; some people do love it despite its issues (such as yourself), but there indeed are some people in the "honeymoon phase" for sure.

I do think some people simply don't care for the flaws in this game. But I do think that's genuinely not that many people, outside of people who aren't too into FF. Where are peoples' standards? There's far too many blatant issues in this game in every area.

And good for you that you liked the game. If you are able to ignore the vast amount of flaws then good for you. Honestly, I'm jealous. I've been waiting for the game since 2006, even went to the Uncovered event. I wish I loved the game.

But it does anger me in the sense that you do seem to give the game a lot of excuses/passes, vehemently defending the game constantly (whereas I do the opposite, to be fair). How will the company learn where they went wrong if people just say "oh this is no biggie" "oh whatever" etc.? They need to learn, they need to know. Because the state of Final Fantasy XV is unacceptable.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, or whatever. Same reason why so many people can love the Fast and Furious movies and I think they're complete garbage.

Probably to play Episode Duscae :D He played that and gave Tabata feedback according to interviews.

Final Fantasy Creator Praises Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae Demo
Sakaguchi called me after playing Episode Duscae to give me his feedback of what he played. He told me that he found it great and that he found it to be very enjoyable and interesting. We discussed some things about the battles and the different ways of playing that are expected from a franchise like this one. It seems today that there are a lot of gamers who want to play a more traditional role-playing game, while others prefer something more active. I talked with Sakaguchi about finding a way we could make both groups happy.​
Man Type-0 just can't catch a break haha! I wonder what he thought of it? Still glad he at least talked to Tabata.
legit snip
I guess it's more of a fact that some people who are fans like things that other fans don't like. It doesn't have to be a delusion. I don't know why everyone assumes that all the time.

rhandino

Banned
So Pokemon GO beat Final Fantasy and Persona? Japan being mobile paradise re-confirmed!!!

* waiting patiently for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem mobile efforts. *

Gbraga

Really enjoyed FFXV despite its numerous flaws (largely story related).

I wouldn't be surprised if Shu picked it in any other year but surprised that it wasn't TLG in this one.

Good choice regardless though.

He also didn't pick Bloodborne last year, maybe he just avoids picking Sony titles.

SkylineRKR

I platted FFXV and had my fun with it but I beat Blood and Wine this X-mas and thats my GOTY. The games are somewhat similar in approach, but TW3 does nearly everything better.

Sinistral

That underhanded jab. According to MetaCritic the game is on par with XIII. Is that a good thing?

theofficefan99

Man Type-0 just can't catch a break haha! I wonder what he thought of it? Still glad he at least talked to Tabata.

I guess it's more of a fact that some people who are fans like things that other fans don't like. It doesn't have to be a delusion. I don't know why everyone assumes that all the time.

We do live in a world full of delusions and delusional people; everyone deludes themselves. I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it. I've had my honeymoon phases, I've lied to myself, etc.

It's extremely possible and it happens in every aspect of life all the time. It's not far-fetched.

Though I will say it was an arrogant post. Should have just said something like "when will the honeymoon phase be over?" since that's been a far more common statement and it pretty much encapsulates my thoughts.

And yes, different people enjoy different things. But when I feel people are just glossing over issues, that's where I have a problem.

such a lust for delusions snip
One man's problem is another man's....wait that doesn't work...

Anyways! If I am in the honeymoon phase I'll let people know when I'm out of it. For now, despite one horrible part of the story, I like this game a lot. It does have issues, but I also feel like people are hyperbolic on some things. But that's just me.

I also don't think I'm in the honeymoon phase.

Gbraga

I just hit 100 hours played, that's one long ass honeymoon phase.

Take Uncharted 4, for example. I started the year thinking it would be for sure one of the strongest contenders for my personal GOTY, and I was also convinced it would be the best in the series. I actually kind of hate the game. But it's fine, people who love it have their reasons, I don't need to point my finger at them and question their love for a game that I personally consider a bad one.

I think the phase that's really going on is you being unable to move on after hating a game you were so excited about. Just let it go.

Robbing Bloodborne and TLG?

What a monster. He must be stopped!

lmao.

Yes, we need to find him and put a stop to his madness.

Ishida

Banned
I will say it is arrogant, I've thought about it.

I will say that I do think not everyone is deluding themselves; some people do love it despite its issues (such as yourself), but there indeed are some people in the "honeymoon phase" for sure.

I do think some people simply don't care for the flaws in this game. But I do think that's genuinely not that many people, outside of people who aren't too into FF. Where are peoples' standards? There's far too many blatant issues in this game in every area.

And good for you that you liked the game. If you are able to ignore the vast amount of flaws then good for you. Honestly, I'm jealous. I've been waiting for the game since 2006, even went to the Uncovered event. I wish I loved the game.

But it does anger me in the sense that you do seem to give the game a lot of excuses/passes, vehemently defending the game constantly (whereas I do the opposite, to be fair). How will the company learn where they went wrong if people just say "oh this is no biggie" "oh whatever" etc.? They need to learn, they need to know. Because the state of Final Fantasy XV is unacceptable.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, or whatever. Same reason why so many people can love the Fast and Furious movies and I think they're complete garbage.

Or maybe, just maybe, some aspects that you consider flaws I consider to be virtues?

Also, check my post history, I have detailed the actual issues I have with the game. From camera controls, to bushes and obstacles not becoming transparent when blocking the camera, from game-halting glitches, to poor narrative and disappearing characters, etc.

I'm not arguing that the game is a masterpiece, or even among the best FF in history.

No, but I'm 100% honest when I say that the positives outweigh the negatives for me. When I run through the fields of Eos, watching the sunset, listening to Wanderlust. While I fight my way through the monsters, practicing different strategies in battle, switching weapons on the fly in the middle of combos, retreating to cast magic spells.

When I'm doing this, I don't think about Verstael being underutilized, because I'm having fun. If I wasn't having fun, I would've shelved the game immediately after I finished it, just like I did with MGSV (A game I don't ever intend to play ever again), and I would stop going into threads about the game.

While I found XIII to be good and entertaining, I found XV to be actually fun. And charming. And funny. And mysterious.

I've never once stated "Yes! THIS is the perfect game I had in my mind for the last 10 years and it delivered on everything 100%".

It has flaws. MANY flaws. But they are not dealbreakers for me as they are for you. Having Verstael or Cor disappear from the story did not take away the sheer fun I had while warping from airship to airship, destroying the MT soldiers and then landing back on a moving train. Luna's short screen time was a big disappointment for me, but that doesn't stop me from loving the terrified comments from Prompto when I enter a dungeon, or the comments about his hair looking like a Chocobo ass.

No, this game is nowhere near a masterpiece. It's heavily flawed. But for me, it was a step in the right direction to the series I once loved, and then I just liked. They just need to re-work their storytelling, HEAVILY.

I don't love the game because of hype, or because a 'honeymoon'. I keep playing because I'm having a blast playing it. I pre-ordered MGSV and now I refuse let that disc into in my PS4 ever again. I pre-ordered and hyped The Witcher 3 and ended up selling it because it bored me to tears. When I hype something pre-release and it ends up disappointing me heavily, I say it. I don't bullshit people with false opinions.

This game may end up being my GOTY not because "I waited for it for 10 years", but because it is a game I can't stop playing. Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian are strong contenders, but I didn't immediately picked them up again after finishing them. So XV MUST be doing something right for me.

That underhanded jab. According to MetaCritic the game is on par with XIII. Is that a good thing?

XV also has more reviews. So no, Metacritic doesn't say that "they are on par".

And I liked XIII, so I don't know what you are getting at?

I mean, I see the argument for FFXV being GOTY. It's really fun and it really does feel like a road trip with the bros sometimes. The dialogue between them is really neat too. It doesn't always hit, but it makes a good attempt and it hits more than it misses, it's just a shame about the story being undercooked and the obvious problems they had with the late game content.

All that said, XV was destined to fail in pleasing everyone. It was a noble attempt. I'm definitely getting back to it at some point, I'm just busy with a few other games right now.

Interfectum

I'm about 4 hours into FF15 and I'm liking it so far. It's one of the more fun FF games to play IMO. Combat and exploration are great. I also like the chemistry between the main characters. I can already see cracks forming in the story but I think I'm prepared for the worst.

Sinistral

XV also has more reviews. So no, Metacritic doesn't say that "they are on par".

And I liked XIII, so I don't know what you are getting at?

I'm just wondering where you're getting these "universal standards" from. As I honestly do wonder when people who are enjoying FFXV, what their standards are.

theofficefan99

@Ishida, fair enough, you've made your point well. And no, especially you in particular I can tell you genuinely do like the game. I just have seen some instances where I've felt like you gloss over issues which irked me. But I get it. Good for you that you love the game.

Unfortunately, as much as I like the combat (minus the camera and lock-on), I'm struggling to play it after finishing the main story. It's a damn shame.

Top Bottom