• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Is GOTY For Shuhei Yoshida And FF Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi

It's funny cause the first page of this thread is mostly positive responses for the game as well with a couple of negative posts, while the second page is more negative with some brushing it off saying that Yoshida has to do this for money or for Japan or for something. Same with Sakaguchi.

Not really, the praise is strong here too.

Newboi

I'm waiting out it on the hope for a PC release, but every time a see I new thread on this game that wait gets more agonizing.

I'm extremely happy that this game is out in the wild, so Square can finally regroup and better focus on its future and brand (DLCs and possible ports not withstanding).

I really hope Square does an in-depth postmortem on Luminous for the public and next years GDC to talk about the struggles of building this brand new engine and finishing a gigantic game at the same time. I honestly believe Luminous will see a future. I mainly wonder if we will see something else this generation?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
FFXV is a fucking mess in story department, but i think SE manage to lay some good foundation on developing HDRPG with AAA budget. The battle system need some work, but it's good, and the animation movement is great. Most dungeon is good too, too bad the best one are optional instead being put in main story

Kouichi

I'm very happy to see the father of Final Fantasy loved this game as well! It is definitely right next to Overwatch as my favorite game of this year.

fvng

I can't give GOTY to any game that disrespects my free time as much as XV does with shitty fetch quests, the worst of which are asking me to find poorly visible items in a large radius.

Why do 4 hours pass in in-game time when I fast travel when it would have been 3 minutes driving auto or manual. This shit makes no sense. Why can't I have multiple hunts active so I don't have to go back to the hunt assigner every time i finish a hunt.

The shitty banter and small talk between the characters did nothing for me and got annoying pretty quickly.

The chapters are flying by so fast in the last five chapters in the game it's obvious they rushed production near the end or possibly cut a lot of content to save for DLC. Why the fuck did Gladious leave randomly for an entire mission without a reason despite being "committed" to having Noc's back in battle? Who knows but I bet it'll be answered in a DLC.

Ignis is supposed to be a total bro but he comes across as a butler or servant. Which is awkward.

I don't hate XV I'm enjoying the good aspects of the game but the missteps weigh down a lot of it for me that prevents me making it my GOTY. I do think it's a step in the right direction so many design decisions are insulting and obviously padding the game out.

Personal GOTY: TLG

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
You know that's 100% optional, right? You can just go to the settlements and buy weapons and items, just like in the old FFs.

The only reason they start "piling their chores on you" is because you accept those chores...
I don't want to skip 80% of the content in a game because it's generic filler. Especially in an RPG where you want to get all the loot and XP.

My view is that if it isn't fun, engaging, or challenging, it shouldn't be in the game.

BBboy20

*battles lots of enemies with below 30 frames per second and unable to tell where my downed team mate is at despite the duscae demo always made sure you knew where they were at*

Ok then.

Ishida

Banned
I don't want to skip 80% of the content in a game because it's generic filler. Especially in an RPG where you want to get all the loot and XP.

My view is that if it isn't fun, engaging, or challenging, it shouldn't be in the game.

Well that's on you then. You are making yourself angry because you want to.

fvng

Are you really gonna sit there and act like they're not necessary when there's no other way to make money in the game other than doing petty tasks for strangers?

Ishida

Banned
Are you really gonna sit there and act like they're not necessary when there's no other way to make money in the game other than doing petty tasks for strangers?

Huh? You can go grinding and killing monsters and selling all your loot for pretty good money, you know that?

This is where I'm at. Nothing positive can be talked about with this game. Something good with sales it gets flipped, someones game of the year o let me tell you why you're wrong.

Oh please, spare me. You know that is fundamentally untrue when there are actual positive posts in this very thread and plenty of them at that. It does amuse me that posters like you lament detractors of the game for making hyperbolic statements when you're not above doing the same thing.

Let people succinctly describe what their genuine criticisms are with the game. It's a discussion. I'm sorry you're not getting the echo chamber you clearly crave for.

But anyway, I personally think it's a very mediocre game. I've enjoyed it enough to sit through around 50 hours of it, with some of the best dungeons in the series, but its shortcomings are too egregious for me not to put it anywhere near my GOTY list let alone among my top 5 Final Fantasy games. There's nothing about the open world that I find particularly interesting and the storytelling and characterisation are some of the most inept I have ever seen. I am glad that people enjoy it though.

fvng

Huh? You can go grinding and killing monsters and selling all your loot for pretty good money, you know that?

Shark sandwich is dead on by saying the side missions are not fun or engaging on any level. Why have non-fun content In your video game? You can easily view it as poor design by virtue of the fact that, while being totally optional, they're still stuffing the game with shit people most people will hate and skip instead of things people would look forward to doing.

Unless you find hidden object games engaging or a good use of your time, that's different then. Maybe we have different definitions of fun.

Ishida

Banned
Shark sandwich is dead on by saying the side missions are not fun or engaging on any level. Why have non-fun content In your video game? You can easily view it as poor design by virtue of the fact that, while being totally optional, they're still stuffing the game with shit people most people will hate and skip instead of things people would look forward to doing.

Why are we moving goalposts now? You completely switched argument right now. So it's no longer about needing them to get money?

If you believe I think most of the fetch quests are "unparalleled fun" then you are arguing with the wrong guy. I also think the majority of the quests were not engaging and poorly developed. I'm not trying to defend their quality.

All I'm saying is that they are optional. You don't NEED to do them unless you want to pad your gameplay time and for the vendors to drop their prices.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
? I'm not angry. I'm explaining why I'm tired of this formula and why it's not what I want from Final Fantasy going forward.

You seriously want a game where the entire thing is structured around giving you countless chores? I mean, fine, that's your preference. But saying "b-b-but you can skip 80% of the game and just do the (incredibly minimal and disappointing by FF standards) main quest!!!!" as a way to try and counter criticism is just ridiculous.

Ishida

Banned
? I'm not angry. I'm explaining why I'm tired of this formula and why it's not what I want from Final Fantasy going forward.

You seriously want a game where the entire thing is structured around giving you countless chores? I mean, fine, that's your preference. But saying "b-b-but you can skip 80% of the game and just do the (incredibly minimal and disappointing by FF standards) main quest!!!!" as a way to try and counter criticism is just ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is you pulling that strawman out your rear, dude. So now I'm saying that?

And no, my criticism is valid. Becoming cynical about a completely optional part of the game, that you can even skip completely if you so desire, is hilarious thinking.

Ouroboros

I'm still playing it and about 80 hours clocked in.

I maxed to lvl 99 and clearing all post ending content.

I haven't wanted to complete a game since drakengard 3 was released framerate be damned. When gameplay sucks me in like FF XV does it deserves my GOTY. Sure it lacked polish and a deep story but for me it was about 4 brothers and a hell of a road trip.

fvng

Why are we moving goalposts now? You completely switched argument right now. So it's no longer about needing them to get money?

If you believe I think most of the fetch quests are "unparalleled fun" then you are arguing with the wrong guy. I also think the majority of the quests were not engaging and poorly developed. I'm not trying to defend their quality.

All I'm saying is that they are optional. You don't NEED to do them unless you want to pad your gameplay time and for the vendors to drop their prices.

I'm not moving goal posts, you made a good point so I let that go. So now I'm asking you, why put in content in the game people will want to skip? That's bad design regardless of whether they are skippable or not. I wish more people here would acknowledge it instead of pretending it's not an issue. It's totally fair to say they putting genuine wastes of my time in this game.

Ishida

Banned
I'm not moving goal posts, you made a good point so I let that go. So now I'm asking you, why put in content in the game people will want to skip? That's bad design regardless of whether they are skippable or not. I wish more people here would acknowledge it instead of pretending it's not an issue.

Because some people will skip it.

And some people will play it.

I played it, because I love traversing the world and discovering new areas, and sometimes I need an extra push to explore parts of the map I would normally skip in my travels.

My argument is not "you should like them, because they are great". No, I don't think they are great, and everyone is entitled to dislike them if they so desire. But they are optional. If you do something you dislike doing, without anyone or anything forcing you to do it, that's entirely on you.

They are only "wastes of your time" if you actually waste your time with them...

Haunted

Remember guys, people can like games for the reasons you don't like them. You don't have to overanalyze his words and claim that he has to do this for the future of Square Enix or Japanese games.
I think you're underestimating the man's intelligence if you're saying this is not a factor he has thought about before making such a statement.

fvng

Because some people will skip it.

And some people will play it.

I played it, because I love traversing the world and discovering new areas, and sometimes I need an extra push to explore parts of the map I would normally skip in my travels.

My argument is not "you should like them, because they are great". No, I don't think they are great, and everyone is entitled to dislike them if they so desire. But they are optional. If you do something you dislike doing, without anyone or anything forcing you to do it, that's entirely on you.

Leave it in there because for the off chance some players would like boring fetch quests and running errands for strangers. Got it.

I think you're underestimating the man's intelligence if you're saying this is not a factor he has thought about before making such a statement.
Ah well. I tried. But sure let's go with that then.
Leave it in there because for the off chance some players would like boring fetch quests and running errands for strangers. Got it.
image.php

I love NieR. One of my absolute favorite games. But I got a bit wary of having to do almost all the side quests to collect all the swords to get
a better ending

Haunted

Millions of people have played and are still playing MMOs. Dragon Age Inquisition won a ton of goty awards. Clearly, there are people with a taste for shitty fetch quests. Can you blame S-E for wanting to tap into that market? :p

dramatis

Pretty sad though, it was clear from the 4Gamer survey that most industry people picked Persona 5 and Pokemon GO, while FF15 was a distant third.

Yoko Taro picked The Last Guardian, and Hideki Kamiya wrote the longest responses to the questions.

fvng

Ah well. I tried. But sure let's go with that then.

image.php

I love NieR. One of my absolute favorite games. But I got a bit wary of having to do almost all the side quests to collect all the swords to get
a better ending

Nier, are you referring to the game where doing tasks for people for people in your COMMUNITY is more meaningful than running errands for total strangers?

So you are referring to the game where performing side quests rewards the player with well written banter between your protagonists that is not only sweet and/or funny but makes you care about its citizens. It even self depractingly acknowledges the silliness of being an errand whore for people.

The swords you are collecting have back stories and if you read them, you are consuming well written meaningful content in a superior video game. Oh and tell me how collecting frogs for a stranger in XV offers any benefit to your character. Compare that the utility of having a sword you can actually use.

Most Side quests never felt like wastes of my time in Nier because the payoff was good and it fleshed out the world by making the player care about its inhabitants and the lore. I never got that from XV, and the shit banter between the bros doesn't hold a candle to the banter in Nier. Not even close.

Keep in mind bud that I don't hate XV, I think it's vastly superior to 13 but I'm only pointing out shit I didn't like and why it's not my personal GOTY.

M-PG71C

I really have loved FFXV so far, I haven't enjoyed a FF title since XII so this has been pretty awesome. GOTY on a personal level? Maybe.

fvng

Millions of people have played and are still playing MMOs. Dragon Age Inquisition won a ton of goty awards. Clearly, there are people with a taste for shitty fetch quests. Can you blame S-E for wanting to tap into that market? :p

Lol its actually why I stopped playing XIV despite enjoying almost everything else about it. The worst part is that those mundane tasks are necessary to move the story along if memory serves correctly

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not moving goal posts, you made a good point so I let that go. So now I'm asking you, why put in content in the game people will want to skip? That's bad design regardless of whether they are skippable or not. I wish more people here would acknowledge it instead of pretending it's not an issue. It's totally fair to say they putting genuine wastes of my time in this game.

Because (1) its quick and easy to implement, (2) it provides the player with stuff to do during downtime between major content instances. (3) motivates exploration of the world and supports the in-game economy, and most of all (4) some players will partake in and enjoy them for the minor diversions they are.

ALL games are a waste of time, unless they are being used as part of prize competition. The whole "doesn't respect my time" argument just doesn't fly, particularly in lengthy single-player titles like RPG's which are constructed specifically to offer dozens of hours worth of content.

fvng

Because (1) its quick and easy to implement, (2) it provides the player with stuff to do during downtime between major content instances. (3) motivates exploration of the world and supports the in-game economy, and most of all (4) some players will partake in and enjoy them for the minor diversions they are.

ALL games are a waste of time, unless they are being used as part of prize competition. The whole "doesn't respect my time" argument just doesn't fly, particularly in lengthy single-player titles like RPG's which are constructed specifically to offer dozens of hours worth of content.

Quick and easy implement are shit reasons to pad out your game. no video games (or any other form of media) so long not wastes of time so long as you are enjoying the game. If you enjoy finding frogs for a random scientist then more power to you. It does nothing for me. If the only reason they do it is to add dozens of hours of "content" you are acknowledging they are padding the game out with filler.

Rad-

If they enjoyed it then okay. I thought it was the most disappointing game since FF13. Ito pls save FF.

Top Bottom