• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Andrew Reiner on Alleged Half-Life 3 Prototypes (Live Action? RTS?)

gordon-versus-advisor-in-half-life-2-episode-3-artwork.jpg

Listening to the Game Informer show while walking home from work there was a couple minutes where one the staff talked about Half Life 3 prototypes and figured folk might be curious to hear this. The segment was split off into it's own video here (at 3:49).

https://youtu.be/iW7ekjEanks?t=229

Long and the short of it is Andrew Reiner was trying to chase up what happened to Half Life 3 and managed to get one developer to talk to him about the project. Game was "a hot mess...so many different prototypes with small teams (4-5 people) working on them that just never got off the ground".

One of those prototypes/directions was something akin to an RTS and another was going to have involved live-actors in a "new type of adventure action game...kinda like Night Trap but far advanced". Andrew also mentions he might release that interview at some point.

...I think I'd be down for an Antlion rush.

epmode

Long and the short of it is Andrew Reiner was trying to chase up what happened to Half Life 3 and managed to get one developer to talk to him about the project. Game was "a hot mess...so many different prototypes with small teams (4-5 people) working on them that just never got off the ground".

welliguessthatsthat.jpg

So... Let me get this straight, the reason we don't have Half Life 3 yet is because Valve got hit with a deadly case of Miyamoto Syndome?

You're Fucking Kidding Me, Right?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I still have a hard time believing that, even after he said like 5 times that it was legit thing he was told.

Man, Valve has really lost it nowadays.

robotrock

Banned
So... Let me get this straight, the reason we don't have Half Life 3 yet is because Valve got hit with a deadly case of Miyamoto Syndome?

You're Fucking Kidding Me, Right?

the reason you don't have it is valve doesn't see a reason in making a single player game again

RTS? Live action adventure game? Was it that damn hard to just do a solid FPS game that wrapped up the story?

This is what happens when you want every entry in a franchise to be innovative and groundbreaking.

This is basically what everyone already knew. Valve doesn't want to make it because they think people's expectations are too high for Just Another Shooter to succeed.

Farks!

10th anniversary of Episode 2 this year, 20th anniversary for HL1 next year. Just bring it already, Valve. We know you can do it!

Half Life 3 seemed like maybe it went through alot of "other games are doing this cool thing so Lets toss that idea at the wall".

I think there was a rumor once that they also tried making it a open world RPG, another saying they experimented with Souls style invasions, co op and messaging?

I would guess the RTS experiments happened when Starcraft 2 was hot / pre DOTA2.

Marc Laidlaw leaving seemed like the end of any hope of new Half Life anyway. I think as of now, the dream is dead.

Shredderi

the reason you don't have it is valve doesn't see a reason in making a single player game again

I wish one of the corrupted politicans was absolutely batshit crazy for Half-Life and would succesfully threaten/ blackmail Gaben into making Half-Life 3. /jk
kinda

Alienous

They'll do Half-Life (Episode) 3 eventually, it just seems like a case of them leaving it too late and its expectations now perpetually exceeding its possibilities. It'll probably be something for VR too, especially as the prototypes suggest that a standard FPS sequel just isn't interesting enough for them.

The Argus

I wish I lived in the alternative dimension where HL3 launched as a live action point and click. Imagine the forum meltdowns. It would have been glorious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I get the impression that Reiner was fed deliberately ridiculous information just so he'd stop poking and prodding, assuming he himself is telling the truth. That or he misunderstood what he was told. Half-Life 3 actually being an RTS rather than having some sort of RTSesque element or actually being a Night Trapesque adventure game rather than having an element inspired by Night Trap just doesn't make any sense.

Dweebo

Banned
Definitely sounds like something Valve would do with the way they have structured the company. Please Valve, develop it for Vive and put it out already.

Syf

Banned
If it's true, I'm more interested in how recently those prototypes were being worked on. It's been nearly ten years since Episode 2

Whompa02

What the hell? Why are they over complicating it? Just make a god damn awesome FPS game in that universe!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All sounds like misinformed bullshit, to be honest. I can see Valve prototyping game systems integrated into a first person shooter, much like the rumours of Half-Life going open world, to disrupt the existing formula. But outright reimagining the entire franchise, and a mainline entry at that, as an RTS or advanced adventure game sounds pretty ludicrous.

Even if there's an essence of truth to these claims, I'd interpret this more there being prototypes of noted that existed within the Half-Life universe; a Half-Life RTS, a Half-Life adventure game, etc. There's likely a hundred oddball prototypes of varying genres across their existing franchises given that's how Valve's development pipeline operates. None of them gained traction, thus none saw fruition, but all kinda exist in a void of Half-Life technical stuff.

I'm sticking with my existing assumptions; due to excessive crunch and franchise burnout a majority of developers working on Half-Life needed to take a break and work on other projects. Momentum never returned as the production costs for a traditional Half-Life game in the modern market ballooned, internal expectations/desire to see the third major entry do something original never caught traction via prototypes, much of the team was lead off/convince to work on other more profitable projects, and the production culture at Valve shifted to titles that favour a more open communal approach hence the focus on multiplayer.

Half-Life is dead and will never return.

The Vive presents the perfect opportunity for Valve to raise the bar again with HL3.

Make it happen guys.
Why would they base their game on a technology that almost nobody owns that will likely be outdated by the time the game is released? People still blinded by the vr hype for real.

Half-Life is dead and will never return.

I've accepted that this is indeed the case. While it certainly would be incredible to see a continuation/conclusion of Freeman's story we already have plenty of great games that I can go back to play whenever I have the craving for more Half-Life.

Hey, you never know.

The same thing was said about Shenmue 3.

Certainly true but I imagine that the circumstances that prevented Shenmue 3 from being made are pretty different than those surrounding Half-Life 3. It isn't impossible but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore.

Blam

Honestly we already knew this they've been experimenting on Half Life 3/EP3/EP4 since EP2 got released.

They are over thinking the hype, and frankly they probably think that they need to innovate with something huge or crazy to get us to buy it.

HvySky

At this point, I honestly don't believe we will ever see Half-Life 3. Like, there's nothing left in me to believe that anyone in that company is still working on it.

It's dead, guys.

I don't even want Half-Life 3 anymore. I don't think that Valve is capable of making a new game that isn't bogged down with a horrible hat economy and gambling and Skinner box bullshit.

Teeth

I 100% guarantee that if this wasn't spoon-fed misdirection, the source that he got this from was specifically using the startup projects that were least likely to ever succeed to throw him off.

I also imagine that the "live actor" stuff, if it was being worked on, was some sort of fancy performance capture concept, not fucking Night Trap.

I mean, Gabe himself said something to the effect of "if Gordon Freeman is anything other than an arm and a gun, it's not Half Life."

Also, HL3 is never going to come out because it has to be a FPS and the FPS idea well is run dry. They know it would have to be revolutionary and there are no more revolutions in that genre.

Zomba13

I 100% guarantee that if this wasn't spoon-fed misdirection, the source that he got this from was specifically using the startup projects that were least likely to ever succeed to throw him off.

I also imagine that the "live actor" stuff, if it was being worked on, was some sort of fancy performance capture concept, not fucking Night Trap.

I mean, Gabe himself said something to the effect of "if Gordon Freeman is anything other than an arm and a gun, it's not Half Life."

Also, HL3 is never going to come out because it has to be a FPS and the FPS idea well is run dry. They know it would have to be revolutionary and there are no more revolutions in that genre.

Eh, can't really say that in the year (well, you know) we got Titanfall 2 and Superhot.

Top Bottom