• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Andrew Reiner on Alleged Half-Life 3 Prototypes (Live Action? RTS?)

Crono27

Threads like this amuse me. Just be patient things will happen when they are ready. I believe 2017 will be a good year for valve :)

Honestly if half life 3 actually released at this point it would just be an insult to all the people that have been waiting for it. At this point it's just a meme and should die as a meme.

jayu26

They tried to turn it into a single player turn based real estate sim.

image.php

nkarafo

I given up on HL3 years ago. It's too late.

They made Portal/Portal2 though. So that was a good replacement for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But what happened to left 4 dead 3?

I'd guess that the seemingly protracted absence of L4D3's unveiling is a simple case of Valve Time. It'd be a good fit for the games as a service model, so I doubt it's been tossed aside.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Ah well, at least I got a version of DooM that kicked more ass than I ever thought it would be possible for id software to do again.

The universe giveth and taketh...

This. After that sweet sweet DOOM we got, I'd say anything's possible.

AJ_Wings

You also have a body of influencers and decision makers. When I say decision makers, Gabe is probably the king of that group. When he proclaims where the wind blows, it just blows that way. If you fight it for too long, you are going to find yourself either out or executed or just exiled. It’s really a weird climate for them.

So that whole nonsense about how Gabe Newell "is especially not your boss" in their fancy employee handbook AKA PR puff piece turned out to be one giant crock of shit. Who knew?! So shocking!

AHA-Lambda

I just wish they'd admit it at this point. I've been beaten into submission so much by now that that's all I want from Valve - just admit it's not being made.

Yeah something about this interview struck me as off, would be surprised if it ended up being legit.

Yea doesn't sound legit to me at all. Also the idea that various teams working on different prototypes of HL3 seems really odd since it's such a big franchise.

The part that's suspicious is the person speculating about SteamOS exclusives. The multi-prototypes part however doesn't sound odd.

Pretty much seems like everything Valve does.

Eh, they clearly put their weight behind VR and Dota.

But what happened to left 4 dead 3?

It (and Source 2) took a backseat to VR and Dota is my guess.

Zemm

I'm surprised so many people are taking this RTS/live action claim seriously. Sounds to me like Andrew Reiner isn't dishonest--just far too credulous to be a journalist. I'm almost positive he was had by his source who likely hasn't stopped laughing since this story broke.

yeah I don't believe this at all. This is someone having him on because he won't stop pestering them.

Bookoo

The part that's suspicious is the person speculating about SteamOS exclusives. The multi-prototypes part however doesn't sound odd.

I think the types of prototypes he mentioned are what make it hard to believe.

Maybe small teams were working on prototypes that use the Half-life universe, but to completely change the game type for the continuation of the mainline story seems incredibly risky and would lead to a ton of disappointment.

I think the types of prototypes he mentioned are what make it hard to believe.

Maybe small teams were working on prototypes that use the Half-life universe, but to completely change the game type for the continuation of the mainline story seems incredibly risky and would lead to a ton of disappointment.

Maybe it's just because I've been following Valve since I was a kid but the idea of the different prototypes doesn't seem too weird to me at all. Valve was a company known for just FPS games until 2010 with Alien Swarm. We know they were working on stuff from other genres before that, like Prospero and the fairy RPG, but it hasn't been until recently that they broke away from that with an actual release. And since then we've had Dota 2 and learned of Stars of Blood, one of which wasn't an FPS and the other I'd have to imagine would be third person unless it was in development early in their VR experimentation.

Valve seems like a company that cornered itself into one specific genre for the first decade of its life, and now they're trying to get away from that. Even though they were really small teams working on those prototypes, they don't seem out of line for Valve to me. Also with Lambda Wars being a very popular source mod, and Dota's roots being from Warcraft, experimenting with an RTS makes a lot of sense to me.

Surfinn

Holy shit.. just realized this October will be a FULL DECADE since the release of Episode Two.

Such a shame Valve weren't willing to come out and just communicate with fans that it's not coming anytime soon or not at all.

Con Con

The hype has been beaten out of me, but I hope for the 10 year anniversary of Episode 2 and that damn cliffhanger Valve at least officially admits Half-Life existed.

I'm not naive enough to believe anything more will happen.

ScOULaris

They know it would have to be revolutionary and there are no more revolutions in that genre.

Honestly, it all comes down to one simple fact:

Valve is no longer a developer that gives two shits about making revolutionary games.

Supporting Steam and their handful of competitive titles (that stemmed from mods) is their full-time job now. I doubt we'll ever see another ambitious game from Valve again, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

MCermak

Hey, I know it looks pretty bleak, but how can we possibly be sure they've given up on it? The absence of any announcement doesn't mean they're afraid to make the game. Remember that the first Half-Life started over, practically from scratch.

Top Bottom