• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lowest rated game that you have loved

I remember this adventure game called El Dorado that I used to play many years ago and absolutely loved it. I think I played it around the time that Syberia came out. I liked them both almost equally. Several years I found out that it's rated in 30s range. I still think the game was fabulous

Shadow the Hedgehog. The gameplay problems had their work around, and the edge was delicious.

As far as unironic enjoyment... I'd say Dragon Age 2

Silent Hill: Downpour maybe? That's sitting at a lowly 64 or something on Metacritic and it was still one of my favourite games of its year.

Vampire Rain.

It's a crappy splinter cell with vampires. Once you get used to how the game works it's pretty enjoyable in a cheesy kinda way.

I finished it and really liked it but I can understand where most of the hate comes from.

World Cup South Africa 2010

The best football game I have ever played. Absolutely perfect gameplay wise.

Taking India to the world cup final online multiple times took mad skillz.....

It was the last FIFA with no 'bullshit'

Mupod

God Hand is the infamous example but it actually didn't get reviewed that badly. And obviously the general opinion of it has changed over time.

I liked Splatterhouse 2010 more than I expected. The loadtimes are horrible and it's unpolished but it was a pretty cool game. It was clearly made by people with some love for the originals, and it included those too. In the end Splatterhouse was a generic beat em up series known for its crazy gore, and that's what they made.

edit: also, I liked Deadly Premonition unironically and not just for the characters. The gameplay only REALLY turns to shit near the end, the shooting stuff was inoffensive and the open world town part was actually really neat.

Gestault

ODT for PS1. I can't 100% remember if I finished it, but it was within a year of playing Soul Reaver. It wasn't anywhere near as good, but I still dug it.

WKjEyfU.png

In somewhat recent memory, that would probably be Remember Me. I thought the game was great, and I love the world that was created, this turned out to be in my top ten for 2013. I hope Dontnod is able to make a sequel someday.

Edit: Also want to add Ryse: Son of Rome. I really enjoyed this game, the action was great, graphics were supper impressive. I even liked the story.

I'm sure there's a few others I'm forgetting.

ffvorax

Probably Deathtrap Dungeon (PS1)... I loved the atmosphere of that game! :O
But controls were terribles, really...
Or maybe Pitfall 3D (PS1)... I found it actually really engaging...
More recently God Hand but that's a great game, and Deadly Premonition, another great game.

Rad-

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair has 67 metacritic. That game was pure fun and my top 5 favorite download games of last gen.

There was also a PSX game called Blaze and Blade. It doesn't have metacritic rating but it got scores in the <5 range. It played basically like a multiplayer action RPG mixed with some Zelda-ish puzzles (it had a class system too!). One of my favorite PSX co-op games.

I really enjoyed Legendary from 2008. Had a really good premise. Fighting one or two giant monsters at a time was such a great change of pace from shooting space marines and Taliban at the time. The controls felt tight to me and I specifically remember one boss fight with two minotaurs in a maze as being incredible. The last hour or so of the game was absolutely awful tho. I never understood the hate for this game.

I also liked the N.A.R.C. reboot from the xbox/ps2.

Mupod

I almost forgot that there was a time when Monster Hunter games got almost universally terrible reviews. EDF is in kind of a similar spot. I feel like their eventual climb was partly the games getting better, but mostly the reviewers and methods changing over the years. People started to 'get' the games, and reviews started being less about a clinical tally of graphics/sound/gameplay/presentation and more about whether or not that reviewer liked it.

farisr

Knack. One of my favorite games from this gen and last. Likely doesn't hold up well for solo playthroughs but I played it in co-op on hard with a friend (who also loved it).

We're going to be doing another playthrough about a month or two before Knack 2 releases.

Certinty

Within the last few years it's probably Knack.

Loved the game, perhaps drags out for a bit too long but on hard difficulty it's still one of the best experiences I've had this gen.

Horns

Shadowrun on Xbox 360 has a 66 on metacritic. I've put thousands of hours into it. It was ahead of its time and suffered for being poorly supported by MS. The game play was a like Overwatch and TeamFortress.

613N6mioLoL.jpg

probably kick off revival at this point. it got slaughtered in reviews. but it's just light on extra features and modes, the game itself is incredibly good.

fireflame

Deathtrap dungeon, if you overcome camera big problems the game was awesome with big levels and many monsters, cool musics too.

Experien

Operation Raccoon City was amazing. The pistol mechanic was so great!

Metroid: Other M, story wasn't that bad but the gameplay was just incredible if you tried to use it. Yes, the hide and seek parts were awful.

Inversion, loved is strong but I really liked it.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan, despite its grindy nature, it was great.

Didn't ZombiU get low ratings? That game was amazing.

Mupod

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair has 67 metacritic. That game was pure fun and my top 5 favorite download games of last gen.

That was a really cool, really weird game and I didn't realize it was so poorly received. It's not a traditional CV but it's sooo full of great stuff for series fans who gave it a chance.

Top Bottom