• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People always say that Nintendo will go 3rd party...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelation

And after the Switch debacle i honestly think they will after this thing craters down to hell. Here is a machine coming out in 2017 that is barely more capable than hardware that came out over 10 years ago (XB360/PS3) yet costs as much as actual current gen consoles... ermm what the fuck?. Of course they would include a stupid gimmick (did wonders for them with the Wii so GOD DAMMIT WE WILL FIND A NEW STUPID GIMMICK AND MAKE GAZILLIONS OR FUCKING DIE TRYING) the hybrid thing, well i am severely non-plussed. I had been wanting a Nintendo console with current tech for what seems forever now... and the GameCube was the last console of theirs with good tech in it. Now they just became money pinching lunatics who turn to gimmicks in hopes that they will catch lightning in a bottle again as they pray to any available God that will hear their sad sad pleas.

Now here they are... with a laughable amount of games for it. The one that looks the best is also available on the Wii U and several other offerings are old as dirt. No pack-in game because they were soooo fucking kind to give us the option to purchase the game we preferred instead of forcing one on us (bless their souls), Fifa will be fucking using PS3/XB360 versions as a template which pretty much tells you what to expect from 3rd parties on the Switch... NOT PRIMARY CONSOLE MATERIAL. I am sorry... i love... or used to love Nintendo and their franchises but... ever since they got that Wii success it's like they stopped moving in time (in their lunacy bubble) and are sending out different versions of a succesor to the Wii with different gimmicks (and same old ass tech) at different time intervals to see which one does the trick.

This thing has D.O.A written all over it, if this was/is Nintendo's last go at it they should've gone out guns blazing... not in this pathetic whimpering manner. So i guess now we'll wait 3-4 years until the unevitable happens and they go 3rd party or just focus on making mobile games. It's maddening to see their talents wasted like this... they have fallen so far and i don't think there's a way for them to get back.

Is there some genetic mutation that compells people to post these one-note rant threads? It's fine if you have an opinion, just leave it in one of the sixty other discussions about the console. Your perspective isn't so precious that it demands a spotlight.

Polarbear

Banned
Is there some genetic mutation that compells people to post these one-note rant threads? It's fine if you have an opinion, just leave it in one of the sixty other discussions about the console. Your perspective isn't so precious that it demands a spotlight.

Pretty sure thread shitting is bannable. Don't post in the thread if you don't like the thread.

As to OP, the leadership in Kyoto is unbelievably conservative and stubborn and either isn't aware of or doesn't care about modern trends. The Switch will probably be the final nail in the coffin if it does even worse than the Wii U, which it will if they don't lower prices across the board by the end of this year. That'll make them go fully third party.

Hoje0308

Banned
I love that GAF has so many experts whose opinions are simply too important to be lost in the shuffle of the other Switch threads where us everyday folk share our thoughts.

RM8

Switch is flawed in some aspects, but not aiming to be a "primary console" (powerful, standard box that goes on your TV) is not a flaw.

AgeEighty

Sure, OP. This is the time that the tired old prediction will come true.

Even if Switch bombs—absolutely bombs—it won't tank Nintendo to the point where they can't put out new hardware. Especially with Kimishima now in charge, who could choose to go in a new direction if that happens. Remember, Switch is still largely an Iwata device.

Anyone waiting for them to release games on Playstation and Xbox should probably just stop waiting. Nintendo clearly isn't married enough to the concept of home consoles that they'd feel compelled to do that vs. exploring other avenues for gaming, like mobile or something else.

You seem like a happy, well adjusted human being.

Not

Banned
I don't care anymore if they do, because they haven't made games for state of the art hardware for over a decade.

I want a Zelda with new God of War graphics. Not the same artstyle, mind you. But I'm tired of it chugging and I'm tired of aliasing.

Nocturno999

People will never learn. Nintendo and Sega will be the last men standing and we will all be laughing remembering posts like the op's.

dc89

I agree with some of the points the OP made and I disagree with others.
I too have become disappointed with Nintendos approach down the years but I do not think they're doomed.

MrNelson

Banned
Hasn't it been determined that Nintendo has enough in their war chest to take several console failures before they would have to consider getting out of the game?

kubev

I don't think Nintendo will go third-party (unless you're counting mobile games). I think it'd be in their best interest to do so, though, because I think they're only hurting themselves by limiting their games to a single platform. That said, I'm buying a Switch because I like the idea of finally being able to get all of Nintendo's games on a single platform, rather than having them split between a console and a handheld.

Prototype

After switch I just don't see another console. Unless somehow this blows up, which I doubt, it's over. Nintendo pulled a rousey, career is over.

Hasn't it been determined that Nintendo has enough in their war chest to take several console failures before they would have to consider getting out of the game?
Stock losses have wiped out much of that "war chest"

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Is this one of those threads we'll look back and laugh at when everything turns out okay?

Apt101

If they do, they do. It would be great for consumers and Nintendo, because I have no doubt they'd probably end up being one of the top publishers and could shave a ton of operating and R & D costs.

People often suggest it's about that Nintendo style, their fashion of crafting games, that's important. Well they could do the same on any platform and have less overhead while doing it. And this same reasoning is why people suggest the hardware specs don't matter. But, as we've seen, in this era specs mean a great deal to a great deal of consumers - otherwise the Wii U would have been a success, what with the Nintendo games and the many millions of Wii and 3DS customers to attract. But that didn't happen. Sure, there were a lot of factors to the Wii U's failure, but one of the most often-mentioned ones from customers was that it wasn't worth the price because it was weak.

I don't know what I'd do if I were Nintendo if the Switch fails. They still make plenty off their traditional handhelds and software, but their major console games are dying on the vine because they couldn't sell the Wii U. I can see them going one of two ways: admit that staying in the "home console" business means engaging in the arms and media race and making a direct competitor to MS and Sony, or just saying screw it and going all out on iOS and Android for easy money while developing a small collection of their major IP's on Sony and MS hardware.

Genio88

It depends on what third party means to you, if it meand ports form PS4 and XB1 then Switch won't likely have a lot of them, but yet it'll have enough third party games, especially if it'll be the next step for actual 3DS developers

Give me a break. I'm not super sold on the Switch but the OP is being entirely dramatic.

Look at it as a portable console that connects to your TV and the power is just fine.

AmyS

Nintendo knows very well how to make a ton of money. That they do very well, and, that's all that really matters in the end.

Battlechili

Banned
I see the Switch as a powerful handheld.
I don't really get why people expect or thing it needs to be super powerful or anything. Its more powerful than the Vita and WAY more powerful than the 3DS, and I can hook it up to my TV whenever I want.

I don't get the naysaying. People complain about it having low battery life, saying that its not capable of being a handheld, but if Zelda BOTW lasts 3 hours, and if the battery life varies depending on the game, wouldn't most games that aren't AAA last longer? I see this as a successor to the 3DS. It already seems to be getting titles previously released on handhelds (Story of Seasons, SMT V).

I won't deny that Nintendo going 3rd party would be pretty cool (but then again, I'd just as well be happy seeing Sony and Microsoft do the same), but I'd miss their platforms. They're the only company making hardware that aren't just underpowered PCs. I can't take my PC on the go. As far as the console/handheld industry goes, I think Nintendo does it best.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Your rant is based on what you want rather than what the reality is OP.

Nintendo have already ceded defeat in the console space a while ago. They are just now officially admitting it.

This machine is a handheld that can play console quality titles and be output to a TV. The mobile tech has just caught up to a point where they can semi bridge the gap and hope people don't notice.

With Nintendo's budget and focus, there is generally no other market for them to try and compete in the core gaming space without going straight to mobile or going third party publisher like Sega.

I would argue that expecting the Nintendo of yesteryear that generally only existed for NES and SNES to come back is just disappointing yourself. We should be supporting Nintendo's desperate last stand rather than slamming them for doing what they feel is the best thing for their company.

No. The Wii U wiped out part of that war chest. The R&D of the Switch wiped out more. Dividends and all the usual stock shenanigans that go over my head also affected it.

I've pointed this out many times before, but the idea that a "war chest" means that you can just go at a market over and over again is silly. Those vaunted chests can be wiped dry in a matter of months if things go badly. There are all kinds of things that you have to consider with the costs of running a corporation and how those costs and deficits might increase if things go badly. Companies like BlackBerry have had war chests, and they had periods where they've burned $500 million in a quarter and been on pace to burn through billions in a single year. They can't be taken for granted as some kind of safety net.

chrono01

NN5.gif

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Genetic mutation? Really?

Scipio

It's a super strong handheld! Buy a battery pack with it, and you won't find much better.

That and you can use for the party games on your TV and play your Pokemon/Fire Emblem on big screen without any problems.

Why would Nintendo want to enter a market crowded with PS4/Xbox/PC, they've been at their best doing their own things. Having the best graphics doesn't make you the best console.

Dabanton

Wouldn't say they're doomed. But Nintendo are certainly stubborn.

They can survive on just Nintendo games but if you crave third party games the other two consoles feed that need and the Switch will serve as a second console when the price inevitably drops.

I don't think this thing will be for the large mass market though. It will taper off very quickly.
The price is hilarious.

Although I can't see where Nintendo goes next in terms of consoles if this tanks it could be argued they're re using a tweaked Wii U idea. It didn't work last time and I sadly don't think it will work here.

petran79

Banned
Takes me back to the NES days. Why spend 60$+ on an 8-bit title with antiquated hardware, when you could buy 16-bit Megadrive games for the same price or even 16-bit computer games for much cheaper?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But not to the extent that Switch is make-or-break.

If Switch is a failure that will have been 2 colossal failures in a row. By the time Switch's run is done, and its not successful, do people really think Nintendo will have it in them to try again and again just because?

J@hranimo

Banned
Jesus, NeoGAF has really gone off the deep end this weekend 😬

While Nintendo does deserve some criticism, claiming 3rd party will happen as far as non-mobile is just ridiculous.

As long as they've got more 2017 games to show at e3 this year and we see a price cut to 250$ once mario releases they'll hopefully do okay. They'd best get their asses in gear though when it comes to the first party games, I'm expecting a lot considering they've only got one system to dev for now.

I love Nintendo, even with all their weird stupidity and I'd find it tragic to see them stop making consoles and only make games.

What if, for some players, bleeding-edge graphics and horsepower are much more of a gimmick than new ways of interacting with, and controlling a game?

Just cause Switch prioritizes features and play-methods over visuals, doesn't mean what it has to offer should be dismissed as a shallow "gimmick."

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nah, fuck that and fuck the pixel pushing graphics arms race. It drives development costs through the roof and shuts studios down left and right. When the bubble bursts, I hope Nintendo is there to pick up the pieces. Go Nintendo and go indies.

All the bullshit about how they need to make some sort of beast of a machine when you know damn well that wouldn't sell either. Let them find their niche, let them do their thing and quit trying to push your arbitrary "game needs to have [INSERT RANDOM AAA MILQUETOAST GAME] graphics". Shit is tired and we don't need 5 of these threads every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom