• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: New Super Mario Bros. U

I just finished the game. And by finished, I mean I did all of the Star World, including its secret level.

This game is pretty good! For those who read my previous Wii U thread, you'll remember that I was not too hot on the game in the beginning. I'd say the first three worlds are pretty forgettable. It really doesn't help that the music and art design in this game is recycled and tired. Seriously. They need to get rid of that stuff for the next 2D Mario.

Anyways, for some reason, the game's level design improves in world 4 (snow world). The remaining levels were better and just more fun to play for me. Some of the levels in the Star World were pretty tense as well; especially the last level before the secret one. But I got it!

I understand why some say it has the best level design of the entire New series. I think it does, yeah. Though I still think Super Mario Bros. 3 and World are both better.

Something that's really bullshit though: you cannot play in two-player mode with a gamepad and a wiimote. It has to be two wiimotes. Since I only have one wiimote, I didn't get to play the game with my girlfriend, which is incredibly disappointing. There is no reason to force players to use two wiimotes. There very well could have been an option in there to not use the gamepad for the "buddy mode". Tremendously bad design there.

Now I'm on to New Super Luigi U. I've already got three levels done. They are super short, but pretty sweet! I wouldn't be surprised if NSLU was an overall better package than the base game. We'll see.

AwShucks

I just started this. And also immediately noticed the no Wii mote plus gamepad option. Lame. Just finished the first world.

KHlover

Banned
Most fun I've had with couch multiplayer on the WiiU after Smash. Yes, that includes MK8. 4 player mode is great, 5 player mode is fucking amazing.

Top Bottom