• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laserdisc: I've made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

So sometime last week I apparently tore a muscle around the left side of my ribs. For the past week I've been in some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, it's felt like my side has been on fire, I'm constantly exhausted and frequently dizzy from the pain. Thankfully it's getting better. This is unfortunate as I am now becoming more cognizant of the full weight I now bear upon me due to being an irresponsible bastard with a credit card.

I say this to add clarity to the state of mind I've been in when I made this decision.

Having recently moved out I swore to myself that I'd pare down on useless shit, broken electronics, and excess tchotchkes. I'm pretty much going broke as I severely underestimated the funds and random items required for living alone. Yet I couldn't help myself when I saw this son of a bitch sitting, buried under a pile of old turntables at the used record store in town.
75hYXjg.jpg
It looked broken as all hell but the manipulative shop owner tells me it works and it's only $40! "What a steal!" I tell myself. I've always wanted a Laserdisc player for some god forsaken reason. Likely because I've never found one in the wild. Let alone a goddamn working one. It's always had the air of something vintage and exotic. I don't know why I had such a fucking romantic attraction to the atmosphere of these things, maybe it was due to seeing them as a child and being enamored by how BIG AND SHINY these things are. I started rifling through the inordinate supply of movies on hand and picked a couple out to go with it. "$3 for each," he croons. A good enough deal for a small handful. Star Wars! Roger Rabbit! Indiana Jones! Then right as I'm about to check out he whispers gently, ”$50 just for these, or $200 for the whole lot."

I try explaining to the jailer of my wallet that I'm severely ill and in no way fit to be making large purchasing decisions. That any decision I could possibly make in his favor would be the result of exploitative and cruel coercion. He stared for a moment into the distance before glancing lustfully down at the wallet laid bare in front of him.

”I'm alright with that," he said grinning.

And then I offered him my credit card and it started raining.

So now I sit here, exhausted, nearly asleep and nigh breathless having hauled hundreds of pounds of laserdiscs in the middle of the night, up stairs, as it poured rain, my ribs feeling as though they're engulfed in napalm. I don't have the money for these, I CLEARLY don't have the space for these, and I don't even know if this damn thing works properly.
I lost count somewhere at around 300 individual titles. That's not 300 discs, just titles. That doesn't even account for some of the absurdities in here, like double copies, Indiana Jones on CAV, or an entire collection of Star Trek The Animated Series. What struck me the most about these bastards is just how heavy these fuckers are. Each disc alone weighs nearly a half pound, and almost every film is plastered across 2-3+ discs.

Not to mention the condition of the device itself. Apparently it's been dropped, the crack in the front is actually so bad the face droops into drive tray. Hence the cardboard wedged underneath so that it doesn't grind up against itself. Had I known this at the time I probably would have thought twice about this accursed thing. I'd test it but my CRT is still unplugged having just returned from repairs from some hack who refused to attempt calibrating it or even correcting slight flaws in the geometry. Additionally it's clearly been broken before as there's a sticker on the back advertising a local repair shop that doesn't even show up properly on google. On top of that I only just found out this damnable contraption doesn't support dolby digital output. Even if it did I'd need to acquire some kind of Star Trekesque "demodulater" in order to convert the signal to a modern receiver.

I just needed to vent. I'm fucking miserable right now and I have no idea how to store all of these things. I've literally run out of wall to lean them on. It's ridiculous.

Does anyone have any idea what a good storage solution might be for something like this? What in the hell do I even DO with this many of the damn things? A part of me thought about maybe lining the room with classic movies on laserdisc as if they were albums. How do I even care for these? How fucked am I in getting this thing to work?

Oh, and it didn't even come with a remote.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good luck trying to get rid of those also.

(Used to own some LD stuff in the past)

Btw if you are really bored and want to waste more money you could always do this before dumping all of that stuff eventually.

https://anarchivism.org/w/How_to_Rip_Laserdisc#Dealing_with_Laser_Rot

Some other info for your new "hobby"

http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?t=67&p=451

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-to-Consider-When-Buying-Used-Laserdiscs-/10000000177318374/g.html

http://www.blam1.com/LaserDisc/FAQ/FAQ_intro.htm

I was given two players and ~100 discs for zero dollars. I gave one of the players away as a silly white elephant gift last Christmas. LD is utterly pointless to own except for interesting cover art. Just like vinyl records.

evanmisha

i have an "art project" with select titles like Aliens, T2, Die Hard, Robocop, Army of Darkness and Hard Boiled:
terminator_ld.jpg

Wow, my all-time favorite movie has a beautiful laserdisc and I've been wondering how best to display something from it when the poster isn't really to my taste. Great idea!

bjork

At least you have a player to go with the discs. I once came across Spice World on laserdisc at a Virgin Megastore and was like, "this is ridiculous and it's $40 but I have to own this just to say I did." So I bought it, opened it and looked at the disc and went "huh, neat" and then it sat on a shelf until I sold it to Amoeba.

StayDead

Only problem is the life of Laserdisks is super low. Have you even tested those disks to see if any of them actually work? I hate to be a downer on the ordeal, but it's possible all of the data has degraded to the point of them no longer working anymore.

Wow, my all-time favorite movie has a beautiful laserdisc and I've been wondering how best to display something from it when the poster isn't really to my taste. Great idea!

I want one.

The greatest side about these is that when you find a mint condition one it's often dirt cheap still. Terminator 1 was 4$ at Amoeba.

Wanted to display the actual disc too because that is a cool piece of history and light reflects off of it nicely. Just framing the cover in a square wouldn't be any different than framing a poster really.

The biggest hurdle is finding the version that has the best cover art :D hunted this one of Army for the longest of times:
armyld.jpg

thebeeks

Banned
i have an "art project" with select titles like Aliens, T2, Die Hard, Robocop, Army of Darkness and Hard Boiled:
terminator_ld.jpg

Oh man I really like the wide frame you went with! Shows off the actual disc, I love it. I've just been using the standard vinyl record frames.

(Patrick Stewart thought it was the soundtrack on vinyl, Brent Spiner was like "HEEEEEY! LASERDISC!")

Catdaddy

I bought a laserdisc player during my “I’m in my 20s and needs to have the latest and greatest technology” phase. I have it stored in a closet along with about 30 movies – most I got from the Columbia House laserdisc club.

Throw that shit in a bin

Do not throw in bin. It sounds like (if nothing else) that you have the Star Wars laserdisc collection which is STILL the best recorded format for the original version films.

For your comfort I still have a large number of laserdiscs in storage from back in the day. I will NEVER LET THEM GO.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh man I really like the wide frame you went with! Shows off the actual disc, I love it. I've just been using the standard vinyl record frames.

(Patrick Stewart thought it was the soundtrack on vinyl, Brent Spiner was like "HEEEEEY! LASERDISC!")

Oh man that is just too cool!

The greatest side about these is that when you find a mint condition one it's often dirt cheap still. Terminator 1 was 4$ at Amoeba.

Wanted to display the actual disc too because that is a cool piece of history and light reflects off of it nicely. Just framing the cover in a square wouldn't be any different than framing a poster really.

The biggest hurdle is finding the version that has the best cover art :D hunted this one of Army for the longest of times:
armyld.jpg

That and the Terminator ones are pretty damned great. Nice way to display them as it makes for a fantastic wall piece.

eso76

I don't know, 300 titles and the player for 200 sounds like a good deal.
Those things are sexy in a way, although ultimately useless and taking up lots of space.
Framed on the wall is a good solution for them if your house is the hermitage and you have 8 kilometers of spare corridors I guess.

ElyrionX

Only problem is the life of Laserdisks is super low. Have you even tested those disks to see if any of them actually work? I hate to be a downer on the ordeal, but it's possible all of the data has degraded to the point of them no longer working anymore.

I feel like this is very pertinent info that is not getting enough attention in this thread.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Please tell me you keep track of your budget and are doing something to stop your ridiculous spending habits?

I brought a Laserdisc that played DVDs also. No, I didn't I upgraded to that now I remember. About 18 months before DVD gained traction I'd built up a fair sized collection. Then DVD picture quality and extras just destroyed it's worth.

Regret, but it still looks cool as fuck. I don't even watch the DVD's now, I just ripped them for my iPad.

Years of wasting money for the best picture quality, all for nothing. Then, I did Blu-Ray.

androvsky

Some laserdiscs, like some James Bond movies, had commentary tracks before studies bothered to oversee them so you get things like the directors badmouthing the producers. In the case of the Bond movies I think there was a lawsuit. Check your collection for Criterion, they were supposed to have some great laserdisc extras.

My parents ran a Laserdisc rental business when I was growing up (well, it was actually first a Betamax store, then they went with the next "big thing" instead). My dad still has some pretty high value, limited edition laser discs. He doesn't have a Laserdisc player anymore though, so I guess he's just holding onto them for the sentimental value. Anyway, you should just get rid of them. It's a shitty format and cost my family a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom