• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laserdisc: I've made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

well this can still be a pretty useful purchase.

do this:
- take photo of collection and player
- print photo of collection/player along with your thread post on a piece of paper
- write NEVER DO THIS AGAIN on paper and tuck into wallet where money is stored

Dan-o

I have a copy of Toy Soldiers signed by Sean Astin. I should probably frame that.

But yeah... OP... you got got.

I feel like this is very pertinent info that is not getting enough attention in this thread.

We have over 1000 laserdiscs at our house and maybe 5 of them (so far) are rotted. Of those 5, only one is unwatchable.

A lot of the discs are north of 20 years old.

There's a thread here for the 6 or 7 of us here who still have these things, I'll see if I can dig it up when I get to the office.

300 discs for 200 bucks and a player aint bad. Granted, you would like the player to not be a cracked mess. But that's still a pretty good deal.

And you can sell discs on ebay for anywhere between 2-20 on ebay pretty easy. Sometimes it takes awhile (especially if you have common ass discs) but they'll move, eventually.

So now I sit here, exhausted, nearly asleep and nigh breathless having hauled hundreds of pounds of laserdiscs in the middle of the night, up stairs, as it poured rain, my ribs feeling as though they're engulfed in napalm. I don't have the money for these, I CLEARLY don't have the space for these, and I don't even know if this damn thing works properly.

WHY DID YOU BUY SO MANY LASERDISCS?

Just go back the next day after trying out one of 2 movies you bought.

There is no excuse that covers the buying of that many laserdiscs in one purchase not already being a collector, it simply doesn't exist.

No... What have you done. Urge to collect LD rising...

My wife is already sick of all the shit I buy!

D5mOTAsDw6xTW.gif

Just do what i did, make a hard shopping list for yourself. Do NOT do any random purchases :D Scour ebay and LDDB once in a while and pick stuff up only if you get them cheap.

Krakn3Dfx

i have an "art project" with select titles like Aliens, T2, Die Hard, Robocop, Army of Darkness and Hard Boiled:
terminator_ld.jpg

Nice. I should do this, I should do this with my laserdisc copy of Stuart Saves His Family.

s-l300.jpg

Not my actual copy, but I do own it on LD.

Nah, it happens.

Like was said upthread, its just south of dvd in pic quality, sound quality beats it in a lot of cases... For some, its an okay buy in if you're interested in dead/retro media.

Spend 200 bucks, get 300 movies. You basically just bought an old school mom n pop rental store.

Was Laserdisc considered a success at the time? It seems like a lot of titles got released, but I knew only one person with a player, and even they only got it as a promo with their new TV. Or was it like UMD movies where they just slapped everything on there thinking people would buy it?

Sapiens

Terrible waste of money. You can probably just make your money back on eBay if you post no later than today. Pad that shipping price to help cover the eBay fees. Maybe just maybe you'll be able to eat again this month.

Guaranteed that guy would have sold you all that for $150 or even less. $100 even. What are you thinking not negotiating? You waste money on vintage garbage and don't know how to haggle?

Guaranteed that guy would have sold you all that for $150 or even less. $100 even. What are you thinking not negotiating? You waste money on vintage garbage and don't know how to haggle?

Again, 300 discs for $200 bucks and a player is actually a pretty good deal. Even if the player is broken. That's less than a buck a disc.

Even for a format as dead as Laserdisc, getting them for less than a buck isn't normal. Goodwill's still sell em for around $5. Most thrift stores do around $3-5. I've noticed vinyl shops around here are adding Laserdiscs to their retro rotations, and they're actually using ebay/craigslist as price guides, which means movies are going for closer to $5-10 normally.

Anyway, here's the old Laserdisc thread from 2015, if you wanna read up

Fox Mulder

I only have a few, but love laserdiscs for the vinyl sized movie art. Like look at this fucking thing..

I'd like a player for lol nostalgia, but can't find one for a few bucks. I'm not paying hundreds of dollars like they go for on eBay.

Yeah, prices have definitely jumped recently. A friend hit me up the other day asking if some Sony model he was looking at was worth it (it wasn't. It's a Sony) and I went to eBay to link him some better alternatives and even the mid-level shit that would go for 50-60 just 2 years ago is going for north of 100 on eBay now.

It's worth checking shopgoodwill.com and craigslist if you're actually looking to pick a semi-decent player up.

Beartruck

Have you considered getting into Neo Geo collecting at all?

I have some literature.
I got a neo geo MVS circuit board I consolized myself to save money, as well as a 108-in-1 multicart so I never have to buy any games for it. I basically spent the least amount possible and I still feel ive spent too much.

Fox Mulder

Only problem is the life of Laserdisks is super low. Have you even tested those disks to see if any of them actually work? I hate to be a downer on the ordeal, but it's possible all of the data has degraded to the point of them no longer working anymore.

They're already pretty worthless, but I imagine it's easier to sell these now. Ive picked up like a dozen and don't give a shit about disc rot because I'm never going to actually watch it.

I know a guy who'll take all that off your hands for a pretty penny.

Hah, missed this shout-out earlier.

But we're all done. She went on a tear at some point last year and started scooping up lots from local owners and now we've got north of 1000 discs, which is fucking ridiculous.

I mean, there's a lot of lost treasures, hidden classics, and curious bullshit in here (we're slowly working through them one weekend at a time) but I don't know if I've ever had a 1000 of anything media-related in my house. Not games, not comics, not DVDs, not VHS, not books...

But here's all these goddamned LASERDISCS.

Violet_0

Banned
does anyone else find it a bit concerning that the OP pretty much just handed over their credit card to buy a huge amount of useless junk while at the same time they're strapped for cash?

hoserx

does anyone else find it a bit concerning that the OP pretty much just handed over their credit card to buy a huge amount of useless junk while at the same time they're strapped for cash?

Yes, you're the second person to point out that the OP did something irresponsible..........Now that we've got that squared away, back to making jokes about laserdiscs.

Did I miss something, or did the OP say he has not even testing it yet since his CRT is busted. So he could have purchased a broken CD Video player. Is that the same as a Laserdisc?

I had a few laserdisc players and tons of discs back in the day. hey are now with my dad living in South America. maybe one day I'll get a few of them back for the memories. One of them is the theatrical cut of Star Wars.

Did I miss something, or did the OP say he has not even testing it yet since his CRT is busted. So he could have purchased a broken CD Video player. Is that the same as a Laserdisc?

I had a few laserdisc players and tons of discs back in the day. hey are now with my dad living in South America. maybe one day I'll get a few of them back for the memories. One of them is the theatrical cut of Star Wars.

He can test it on whatever display he has at his house, it doesn't have to be a CRT.

But yeah, the player looks shitty. Hell, it might not even be a laserdisc player. Could be a 5-disc CD changer that has the capability to read CDVs. For as thin as it is it likely does not autoflip, either.

Considering he said you have to wedge a chunk of cardboard in the drive to make sure it doesn't sag in on itself I doubt it works properly anyway. I mean, the motors probably work, but that doesn't mean the laser pickup is worth a shit, or that it'll output video at all.

LOL, OP (sorry).

I think selling on ebay is your best bet. A quick checked showed the Trek animated series going for about $50 itself, the Star Trek disc $15 to 30, etc. Hey, maybe you might turn a profit?

Store it in the trash can, then store the contents of your trash can in the dumpster outside, then wait until the contents of the dumpster are stored in a landfill.

Then go buy a ring and engrave 1/18/2017 - Stupid as Hell on it to remind yourself of what a colossal fuckup you've made. Make sure to get the ring 1/2 size too small and force it on, to make sure it swells onto your finger and you can never get it off.

After that, go to a local tattoo parlor and get 馬鹿 tattooed onto your arm.

Yeah, if he feels dedicated enough to turning himself into an online store (which he might want to do to keep himself busy and out of thrift stores in a medicated haze) he can flip that $200 pile of Laserdiscs into probably $400, if he's patient.

Hell, if he sells all of them at $2 bucks a whack (plus shipping) he's already in the black.

The Star Wars trilogy will probably get him something like 25-30, depending. Because a lot of people still believe that's the only way to get the theatricals (it isn't).

So sometime last week I apparently tore a muscle around the left side of my ribs. For the past week I've been in some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, it's felt like my side has been on fire, I'm constantly exhausted and frequently dizzy from the pain. Thankfully it's getting better.

I did this exact same thing three weeks ago and I STILL haven't fully recovered. Left side of my ribs, right on the side of my body, area of pain large enough to affect the front and back of my left ribcage too. Shit sucks. I feel fine most of the time now, just not when I put more weight on that side of the body, sleep on my side, or get up from bed. All that is still unpleasant, though no longer painful.

I can't imagine hauling 300 laserdisc titles with this shit going on. Hats off to you, OP, and congrats on an amazing collection of obsolete media.

Dan-o

Laserdisc is one of the few mediums that has the unmolested version of Star Wars.* Thus it has worth.

*on nine discs, which means 18 'sides' which equates to "flipping discs" every 20 minutes or so, unless you have a fancy player that can play both sides.

I own this set and I don't think I'd ever sell it. Long live laserdisc!

jett

D-Member
Well.

What movies did you get OP?

While I appreciate the nice art of LD packaging, the format itself is incredibly cumbersome. My only experience with the format is watching LDs of opera and classical music concerts in music class in high school, heh. It was neat seeing a gigantic "CD", at least.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I buy a lot of games and movies, but its always specific stuff. When you're at the point of buying collectables in bulk, you've got a problem. If the player even works, you're only going to end up watching like a dozen of those movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom