• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

Peterthumpa

(Click for general game info.) / OP by JaseC

Updates:

Patch #1 Release Notes (Jan. 27th)
Community Announcements - WBacon [capcom]

The following issues have been addressed in today's update:

- Fixed an issue where saving game progress was no longer possible if the player deleted the local save file while Steam Cloud has been turned off.

- Fixed an issue where HDR mode is turned back to ON upon app launch if the player quits the prior game session in full screen mode and with HDR set to OFF.

System requirements:
residentevil7sysreqs33sqi.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 24/01/2017)
Nvidia: 378.49
AMD: 17.1.1
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update tool

Benchmarks:
index.php

index.php

index.php

Tips and tricks:

For Nvidia users: Apparently driver version 378.49 gives a nice performance boost.

Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Those with an Nvidia GPU and a desire to run the game at a value equal to half their refresh rate (e.g. 30fps on a 60Hz monitor) may also want to try forcing half-refresh rate vsync via Nvidia Inspector as per this visual guide (click the small tool icon to open the driver profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.

Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.

Pixelated surfaces: As for today (release date), this is a bug when the "Reflections" setting is set to "On". Setting it to "Variable" fixes the issue.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Full screen; Borderless window; Windowed
Field of vision: 70° -> 90° in increments of 5°
Frame rate: 30fps; 60fps; Variable
V-sync: Off/On
Rendering method: Normal; Interlaced
Resolution scale: 0.5 -> 2 in increments of 0.1
Texture quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High
Texture filtering: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High

Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Anti-aliasing: FXAA; TAA; FXAA + TAA; SMAA
Motion blur: Off/On
Effects rendering: Low; Medium; High
Depth of field: Off/On
Shadow quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High
Dynamic shadows: Off/On
Shadow cache: Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSAO (variable); SSAO; HBAO+
Bloom: Off/On

Lens flare: Off/On
Volumetric lighting quality: Low; Medium; High
Reflections: Off/On/Variable
Subsurface scattering: Off/On
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Color space: SRGB; BT.709

VPN unlocking:

To unlock it early via VPN, for those in Japan:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server that isn't in Japan
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Note that this won't work for the uncensored(?) version of the game as it's a separate app.

Rizific

im pretty sure i got better performance than that graph on my 1070 at 1440p. might have been only on high settings, though. we'll find out soon enough and ill report back.

Peterthumpa

im pretty sure i got better performance than that graph on my 1070 at 1440p. might have been only on high settings, though. we'll find out soon enough and ill report back.

I believe that those graphs were released before the patch optimizing HBAO+ performance.

mario_O

the demo ran at 60fps 1440p no problem with a 980ti, everything maxed out, not sure were the results from the OP come from.

AEdouard

Pretty sure this will run great. The demo ran perfectly for me. Granted it's on a 1070 at 1080p, but I played too many shitty ports lately (dishonored 2, Hitman, watch dogs 2) that's it's not exactly a given that it will run well.

tesqui

demo was going over 100 fps on my 480 after I switched HBAO+ to SSAO. Feels real good on a high refresh rate monitor.

Well, quick and dirty but I'm running everything at its highest at 1080p with CA and motion blur off due to hating them both and I'm getting a locked 60fps so far. Very early in of course. Running on an i5 4690 4.2ghz and a GTX 970 overclocked.

However some of the textures even early on are shockingly awful.

Edit: also getting some strange shadow flickering on the leaves when I walk around, noticed it on the side of a house too. It's very odd.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Update:
Turned off shadow cache, put shadows to high and reflections to off, now I can hit 4K 60fps resolution scaling 1 with interlaced rendering. Hdr causes black crush and non hdr is still washed out.

Already coming across an issue with my 65ks8000. The playable area won't fill up the screen Unless at native res of 3840x2160.

Win 10 64bit
I7-3770k
16gb of ram
Newest nvidia drivers

Running everything at max
HDR
3840x2160
Interlaced rendering
Resolution scale .8
SMAA
60fps.

Looks soft as hell, in game v-sync causes massive input lag.

Here's the bug of it not filling up the screen at 1440p (yes I've tried increasing the playable area slider)
7n1tSEl.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can pinch some stuff from the OP I was going to make if you'd like:

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
residentevil7sysreqs33sqi.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/01/2017)
Nvidia: 376.60
AMD: 17.1.1
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update tool

Benchmarks:
TBD.

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Those with an Nvidia GPU and a desire to run the game at a value equal to half their refresh rate (e.g. 30fps on a 60Hz monitor) may also want to try forcing half-refresh rate vsync via Nvidia Inspector as per this visual guide (click the small tool icon to open the driver profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Full screen; Borderless window; Windowed
Field of vision: 70° -> 90° in increments of 5°
Frame rate: 30fps; 60fps; Variable
V-sync: Off/On
Rendering method: Normal; Interlaced
Resolution scale: 0.5 -> 2 in increments of 0.1
Texture quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High
Texture filtering: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High

Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Anti-aliasing: FXAA; TAA; FXAA + TAA; SMAA
Motion blur: Off/On
Effects rendering: Low; Medium; High
Depth of field: Off/On
Shadow quality: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High
Dynamic shadows: Off/On
Shadow cache: Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSAO (variable); SSAO; HBAO+
Bloom: Off/On

Lens flare: Off/On
Volumetric lighting quality: Low; Medium; High
Reflections: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Color space: SRGB; BT.709

Also:

To unlock it early via VPN, for those in Japan:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server that isn't in Japan
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Note that this won't work for the uncensored(?) version of the game as it's a separate app.

Aeana

Game started in HDR mode in 1080p@24fps. I shut HDR mode off and now the game is extremely washed out, even with the brightness set to minimum. I'm playing in a 1440p gsync monitor, I don't know what's going on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ouch, sorry! Are we reserving PC Performance threads as well? Couldn't find anything.
Will update it, thanks!

Nah, I didn't reserve it, but I had intended to post one after the game unlocked (and almost did until I thought to refresh the first page of the forum and saw this one, haha). It's all good, though!

Hatty

Running fine for me at max with my i5 4690k and 980ti. Running at a constant 60fps at 1440p for me.

The demo flickered on my PC and was dark to the point that it was impossible to see in some areas.

Never had that happen before or after the RE7 demo.

Well, quick and dirty but I'm running everything at its highest at 1080p with CA and motion blur off due to hating them both and I'm getting a locked 60fps so far. Very early in of course. Running on an i5 4690 4.2ghz and a GTX 970 overclocked.

However some of the textures even early on are shockingly awful.

Edit: also getting some strange shadow flickering on the leaves when I walk around, noticed it on the side of a house too. It's very odd.

Yeah this is really bothering me. Some of the mud and foliage and stuff looks really really bad. Anyone else seeing this or is something wrong?

Momentary

Banned
Game is running pretty damn good for me. Shrunk down these 4k Screenshots to not kill people's bandwidths.

4K / FXAA+TAA / HBAO+ Everything else maxed. Getting 78-80 outside.

Same settings except I set resolution scaling to 1.1 which knocked out down from 83 FPS to 68FPS

23qwerty

Game is running pretty damn good for me. Shrunk down these 4k Screenshots to not kill people's bandwidths.

Same settings except I set resolution scaling to 1.1 which knocked out down from 83 FPS to 68FPS

What's your setup?

Peterthumpa

Specs?

finalflame

Gold Member

Specs?

Jin

Yeah this is really bothering me. Some of the mud and foliage and stuff looks really really bad. Anyone else seeing this or is something wrong?

I'm seeing the low res texture as well.

There seem to be a delay in mouse movement. Not sure if it's intended to be that way or it's a conversion thing from controller.

MazeHaze

Banned
So I can't get the game to run at all. Gtx980 i54690k. It tries to launch, but it launches in a small window, it gets to splash screen eventually, and then freezes.

Edit: just got it to work finally but it runs in a teeny little window, even when set to full screen. Wtf.

Aeana

I'm seeing the low res texture as well.

There seem to be a delay in mouse movement. Not sure if it's intended to be that way or it's a conversion thing from controller.

Check the refresh rate your game is set to. Mine was set to 24 Hz when I started it.

ZOONAMI

Word on if this supports / will support HDR?

I heard Capcom said it would but apparently it doesn't as of now?

Top Bottom