• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Info from Official Xbox Magazine Cover Story

Sou Da

* There are 'several highly advanced alien races' we'll meet in Andromeda

* Barrier can now deflect projectiles at foes

* Powers have individual cooldowns

* Blades confirmed as a craftable melee weapon (we already knew hammers)

* After a couple of encounters with the Kett, you'll be able to craft some of their technology (they use plasma guns)

* Crafting is entirely optional, not important to the story

* Based upon your dialogue choices, there can be tensions in the team

* You see planets and stars fly by from the Tempest's bridge, all windows on the ship give a view of your current location on the galaxy map

* 'Interrupts' are not paragon/renegade, but 'disarm' for example (it's a strategic choice, not a moral)

* You'll be able to understand the Kett motivations, they're more nuanced as an enemy

* There's a whole separate storyline besides the Kett

* The Kett were originally designed to be completely nude, but it was awkward in cutscenes

* All squad members have a loyalty mission (they seem to be 'a string of objectives' rather than one single mission)

* The loyalty missions will explain the squad members' motivation for leaving the Milky Way

* Michael Gamble: 'I definitely wouldn't call Andromeda an open-world game.We like to use the term exploration-based game. Sometimes that happens in open spaces, but not always. You can cruise around some of these planets in the Nomad, but it's not the traditional sandbox-type game.'

* You don't have to fuel the Tempest

* Side quests will be 'more varied and interesting than ever', says BioWare

* Active abilities/powers (like Overload, etc.) have an alternate fire mode

* There is no level cap, you can keep leveling until you run out of skills to put points into

* 5 difficulty levels, including narrative (very easy, just the story)

* Nomad's top speed is 130+ km/h

* Tempest top speed is 13 light years per day

* You can upgrade the omnitool (the blade)

Some old info, some new. I underlined the things that interested me the most.

This game sounds like a dream game. They are saying everything right. If not for zelda hitting this would be my most anticipated game.

Realeza

Banned
I've been thinking a lot about ME recently. Needless to say, I'm beyond hyped for this. Hopefully it will deliver.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not sure how I feel about the lack of level cap. But everything else sounds pretty great.

I especially like that the Loyalty Missions aren't just one offs but something that takes on multiple parts.

Really hope the Kett are actually as interesting as they make them out to be. Also pretty intrigued by this other storyline.

chaislip3

Full quote on the Kett

Interviewer: Last of all, we wanted to touch on the Kett. The Reapers were these uncaring space monsters, but the Kett seem a little more nuanced. Would you be able to introduce them to us a little and maybe give us an insight into what their motivations are?

Mac Walters: Yeah, I’m not going to get too much into the details of it, but I will say I think that’s a good word, nuanced. I think what we wanted to do with the Kett was create a clear and obvious enemy. I think that was important for us off the bat, but as you – like many things in a Mass Effect game – dive into it a bit more, as you spend more time with it, you realise they’re maybe not all as bad as you thought. Clearly there’s some bad apples here, and you have to deal with them, but what does that mean for the rest of Andromeda? What does it mean for the other Kett? And we even have a whole separate storyline, we have these things called ‘b-stories’, because they actually traverse multiple planets and follow you throughout the course of the game, wherever you go. And one of them is devoted entirely to the main antagonist in the game, and some of the conflicts he’s even been having with his own people.

Woah, we have any confirmation on that?

Since I was getting curious myself I asked around and, I guess I misread last time. They're focusing on finishing the game now. Deep dive with IGN is March, leading up to release. However the long gameplay slice is scheduled for next week towards the end of the week.

Press also go hands on with the game for several hours next week as well, embargo for those previews is the middle of the following week, so we're still getting goodies this month. Sorry for the confusion ☺

Yeul

There wasn't any hard level cap in Inquisition either. You basically hit level 27 and never got past that point because you finished everything there was to do and killed the toughest enemies so that's carrying over I guess (which is totally fine anyway).

Woorloog

Banned
Individual power cooldowns? Not necessarily the greatest idea. Can lead to killing enemies with spam rather than actual tactics, especially if there are plentiful cooldown reducing bonuses (like in ME1 where it was possible to keep up overwhelming power spam, trivializing already trivial combat even more).
But perhaps the game design is actually built around individual cooldowns (because ME1's sure wasn't... but then i'm not sure the gameplay was even designed there really).

I kinda hope the lack of level cap does not apply to multiplayer. The limited point amount in ME3 MP was interesting because it forced specialization, and thus two players with the same character could contribute differently to the game. For single player, no level cap is OK.

I wonder why they specify the max speed for the ship. Does it have actual effect in the game (ie is time tracked?) or is just a bit of trivia for those interested in the lore?

Since I was getting curious myself I asked around and, I guess I misread last time. They're focusing on finishing the game now. Deep dive with IGN is March, leading up to release. However the long gameplay slice is scheduled for next week towards the end of the week.

Press also go hands on with the game for several hours next week as well, embargo for those previews is the middle of the following week, so we're still getting goodies this month. Sorry for the confusion ☺

Praise be to shinobi!

13ruce

Banned
This game sounds like a dream game. They are saying everything right. If not for zelda hitting this would be my most anticipated game.

Honestly having 3 (Zelda, Horizon, Mass Effect) huge (content wise) games within a month is cool i will try to get all three but it will take me untill summer or longer to beat them all lol.

I'm kinda glad that I'm not getting hyped about this game because, if it exceeds my expectations, it'll hopefully remind me of how I felt when I played the first Mass Effect.

So all that leaked stuff about free flying was scrapped, galaxy map again? What about about a large number of planets to explore?

Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.
Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.
Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.
Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.
Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.
Crew: Customisable skill trees, gear, weapons, etc.

So the bolded is still true. How much of the unbolded? We will still be able to build settlements?

Sou Da

So all that leaked stuff about free flying was scrapped, galaxy map again? What about about a large number of planets to explore?

So the bolded is still true. How much of the unbolded? We will still be able to build settlements?

Some of that tempest stuff is. 100s of planets is debunked.

DrD

All of this sounds great. I like that disarming is a strategic choice now instead of a moral one, it makes more sense. They're really trying to hammer home that side quests will be meaningful.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
"Surrender or burn"

Nuance

The Kett are nuanced, not necessarily the Archon himself. One bad guy isn't an entire species. He's probably just some massive dick, but the Kett species as a whole might be more complicated. Like he's their version of the Illusive Man or Admiral Aken Bosch from Freespace 2. They basically spell it out that he doesn't represent all Kett.

Probably saw the Nexus roll into town however long before the Hyperion arrived. Saw all these new alien species come up into his neighborhood and start scoping out planets and goes all anti-immigration.

Sou Da

The Kett are nuanced, not necessarily the Archon himself. One bad guy isn't an entire species. He's probably just some massive dick, but the Kett species as a whole might be more complicated. Like he's their version of the Illusive Man or Admiral Aken Bosch. They basically spell it out that he doesn't represent all Kett.

hey

hey

hey

#notallKett

Really liking the sound of the multi-part squad loyalty quests. Maybe quest-chains would be a better term?

Seriously looking forward to this.

Individual power cooldowns? Not necessarily the greatest idea. Can lead to killing enemies with spam rather than actual tactics, especially if there are plentiful cooldown reducing bonuses (like in ME1 where it was possible to keep up overwhelming power spam, trivializing already trivial combat even more).
But perhaps the game design is actually built around individual cooldowns (because ME1's sure wasn't... but then i'm not sure the gameplay was even designed there really).

I kinda hope the lack of level cap does not apply to multiplayer. The limited point amount in ME3 MP was interesting because it forced specialization, and thus two players with the same character could contribute differently to the game. For single player, no level cap is OK.

I wonder why they specify the max speed for the ship. Does it have actual effect in the game (ie is time tracked?) or is just a bit of trivia for those interested in the lore?

I'd imagine that them limiting the number of active skills to 3 will do a lot to help with the spam problem. Probably a big part of the thinking there, actually.

There's a de-facto level cap due to the limited number of skills to put points into; MP classes are going to be more specialized by design, and so, have a lower "cap."

The Nomad is the ground vehicle, top speed is kind of important there, lol.

"Surrender or burn"

Nuance

Hey m8, that's more choices than some fictional races out there will give ya.

Sou Da

Really liking the sound of the multi-part squad loyalty quests. Maybe quest-chains would be a better term?

Seriously looking forward to this.

I'd imagine that them limiting the number of active skills to 3 will do a lot to help with the spam problem. Probably a big part of the thinking there, actually.

According to Ian there's a way to have more than 3.

adj_noun

I hope the Kett have a feline sub-race that hangs around in pubs all day.

Then we could visit the Kett Cat Bar.

First play through will be on narrative, just cause...I'm old

I'm glad they brought that back. It's nice when you just want to blaze through something.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
hey

hey

hey

#notallKett

#notmyarchon

Am I reading that wrong, or does it sound like the Archon may not be the primary antagonist? Interesting if true.

He might be the primary antagonist but the main goal of the game is to find and settle worlds for Human and other council species long term. He's probably a major obstacle in that endeavor but overcoming him may not solve all your problems or fix everything for you and all the other migrants.

Tovarisc

Already tempering expectations about planet sizes before showing off any, good I guess. Should keep expectations in check.

prag16

Banned
Already tempering expectations about planet sizes before showing off any, good I guess. Should keep expectations in check.
The comments regarding the open-ness sounded bang on to me. I'm reasonably optimistic they'll hit the sweet spot by avoiding unnecessary open world bloat without being too constricted.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I expect we'll see more Storm Coast/Fallow Mire/Exalted Plains/Emprise du Lion type planet maps than Hinterlands/Crestwood/Western Approach/Hissing Wastes type maps. Big giant open boxes sound more fun, but it's certainly easier to craft and place content when you have a more fixed idea of what direction players are going to be going and when they'll come upon whatever is there.

We sure as shit won't be dropped into a Hinterlands type environment first thing that's for damn sure. Even if there are a few planets somewhat like it.

Why did some folks think crafting wouldn't be optional? Did Bioware say something about needing to craft? I always assumed crafting would be optional from the beginning.

Woorloog

Banned

There's a de-facto level cap due to the limited number of skills to put points into; MP classes are going to be more specialized by design, and so, have a lower "cap."
Ah, well, that explains this then. With multiple powers like in ME2 and 3, general cooldown is kinda necessary.
The Nomad is the ground vehicle, top speed is kind of important there, lol.
The ship, not the Nomad. 13 ly a day. Is that important? Or is it just fluff for those interested?

Tovarisc

The ship, not the Nomad. 13 ly a day. Is that important? Or is it just fluff for those interested?

Mostly just cool lore stuff, but also gives idea about what kind distances we can cover in sensible timeframes. There isn't relay network to use and Milky Way races never found way to build them.

Top Bottom