• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Info from Official Xbox Magazine Cover Story

Still no mention of Quarians in the game. I wish they would say yes or no and end it.

I am also looking forward for the multiplayer. I loved it in ME3.

Really, it wouldn't make much sense for Quarians to be there however, I fully expect Bioware to put one or two Quarians in the game if for no other reason than because of how popular Tali was.

It'll probably be something like, the folks at the Andromeda Initiative needed a ship engineer expert, or something like that, and decided to recruit some Quarian that was banished from the Flotilla or that decided to never return to the Flotilla.

Asd202

Really, it wouldn't make much sense for Quarians to be there however, I fully expect Bioware to put one or two Quarians in the game if for no other reason than because of how popular Tali was.

It'll probably be something like, the folks at the Andromeda Initiative needed a ship engineer expert, or something like that, and decided to recruit some Quarian that was banished from the Flotilla or that decided to never return to the Flotilla.

Why not? Some Quarian could have joined Andromeda to look for a new home for their people, there the best engineers why not take them to look after your ship especially when your going to another galaxy. I really hope their in.

* Based upon your dialogue choices, there can be tensions in the team

This is one of the best things Mass Effect 3 had with party interaction and that more games with dialogue systems with party members need.
And when they say tensions I hope they also mean normal interactions and not only bad ones.

Mass Effect 3 had this scenes where depending of the romance you chose, or how you interacted with different characters in your party, those characters would have different dialogue with each other also, like they knew what youve talked with other characters becuase they talk between them.

I don't think the areas were the problem with DAI, it was the crap quests that filled them. As for the Reapers their story is told, but the way the Kett showed up reminds me too much of a Star Trek villain

Maledict

Why not? Some Quarian could have joined Andromeda to look for a new home for their people, there the best engineers why not take them to look after your ship especially when your going to another galaxy. I really hope their in.

Its a one way trip with no follow up planned. Quarians have a life duty to the flotilla - anyone going to Andromeda is not only depriving the fleet of resources, but they are going to end up extinct in Andromeda as well unless a significant number are going along. Which would be completely contrary to everything written about them...

The Nexus (I think that's what that big station they use is called), launches some time between ME2 and ME3. The Quarian fleet was busy with a war against the Geth at that time. If the Andromeda Initiative did recruit some Quarians around that time, I'd imagine they would be Quarians that were banished from the Flotilla, or decided to never return to the Flotilla, and therefore be very few in number.

The Quarians of the Flotilla would not give up members of their people to the Andromeda Initiative during such a crucial time. If the Quarians weren't willing to try and colonize a new world in their own galaxy because of how long it would take them to adapt to it (Tali said it was the difference between 60 years and 600, or something like that), why in the world would they invest people in finding a home in a completely new galaxy? That's why they were fighting so hard to get their homeworld back.

Then you have to add on top of that, that the Quarians don't have the numbers to spare. Any Quarians the Andromeda Initiative found would be small in number; definitely not enough to sustain a population in Andromeda; they would basically go extinct over there.

Asd202

Its a one way trip with no follow up planned. Quarians have a life duty to the flotilla - anyone going to Andromeda is not only depriving the fleet of resources, but they are going to end up extinct in Andromeda as well unless a significant number are going along. Which would be completely contrary to everything written about them...

Well maybe some would go to to keep the species alive on a new planet or something
/bargaining
. Yeah you're right it I didn't really remember there whole story.

Tovarisc

Well we also got uncured Krogan's in Andromeda Initiative. Sure they live long time, but without cure they most likely will go extinct in Andromeda system. What is point in bringing them along?

Woorloog

Banned
Then you have to add on top of that, that the Quarians don't have the numbers to spare. Any Quarians the Andromeda Initiative found would be small in number; definitely not enough to sustain a population in Andromeda; they would basically go extinct over there.

Speaking of that, minimum numbers for people, presumably these apply to non-asaris as well.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/stellarcolony.php#id--Planting_a_Colony
About minimum number of colonists:
If you do not want to fiddle with math below, the bottom line is as follows. If the colony is to survive inbreeding for up to 100 years, you'll need a minimum of 500 randomly chosen colonists or 50 hand-picked colonists all who are unrelated and of breeding age. If the colony is to have enough genetic diversity to survive for thousands of years, you'll need a minimum of 5000 randomly chosen colonists or 500 hand-picked colonists all who are unrelated and of breeding age. That's if I have not made a silly mistake in arithmetic. Now you can skip to the next section.

Logically, this means quarians as a species cannot be in the Andromeda Initiative. It is extremely unlikely they'd send enough people, especially considering them having difficulty settling any kind of planets.

Individuals? Some might have come, but probably won't be in the game (multiplayer is another matter).

EDIT As noted, this kinda applies to krogan as well. I'd assume there are only individual krogans. Long-lived krogans can have some valuable advise and wisdom... if they're the right type. Not sure what the krogans get from this, other than adventure.

Well we also got uncured Krogan's in Andromeda Initiative. Sure they live long time, but without cure they most likely will go extinct in Andromeda system. What is point in bringing them along?

Good point, and the only thing I can say about the Krogan and the genophage is that Bioware said that the whole "cure for the genophage" thing would be taken care of in the game. How? I don't know. Will it make sense? I don't know. However, despite that, the Krogan still have a far better chance than the Quarians of surviving in Andromeda since they live much longer and since they are still able to have children, just at a much lower rate than before the genophage.

Like Mordin said, the genophage didn't neuter the Krogan, it just adjusted their birth-rates to pre-industrialized levels... or something like that, someone can probably explain that a little better than me :p

Tovarisc

Good point, and the only thing I can say about the Krogan and the genophage is that Bioware said that the whole "cure for the genophage" thing would be taken care of in the game. How? I don't know. Will it make sense? I don't know. However, despite that, the Krogan still have a far better chance than the Quarians of surviving in Andromeda since they live much longer and since they are still able to have children, just at a much lower rate than before the genophage.

Like Mordin said, the genophage didn't neuter the Krogan, it just adjusted their birth-rates to pre-industrialized levels... or something like that, someone can probably explain that a little better than me :p

If I remember right they overdid genophage, I just don't remember if it was accident or intentional. They drove birth survival rates so down among Krogans that they as a race started to go extinct and without cure would go extinct.

Dalibor68

Banned
I like that they've been emphasizing the quality of side-quests recently, but I'll still only believe it when I see it (in reviews and post-release impressions).

Woorloog

Banned
If I remember right they overdid genophage, I just don't remember if it was accident or intentional. They drove birth survival rates so down among Krogans that they as a race started to go extinct and without cure would go extinct.

The genophage would have stabilized krogan population if they weren't warlike and generally averse to civilization-building. So, an accurate system in theoretical model, not accurate in reality.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Getting more and more hyped for this the more I read. Sounding like everything I hoped for in a continuation of the ME series. Main thing that will remain to be scene is how good the characters and character development are of course, as that's huge to my enjoyment of these games.

kiguel182

Not open world and crafting optional? My interest in this just spiked a lot!

Hopefully the story is good and the choices meaningful. I'm starting to feel hyped for it.

BumRush

Not open world and crafting optional? My interest in this just spiked a lot!

Hopefully the story is good and the choices meaningful. I'm starting to feel hyped for it.

It's definitely going to be open universe, at least partially. Probably more scaled down than a TW3-esque world though.

I hope that they actually make a legit "Dragon Age is a video game in the ME universe" reference in this game. The Doctors saying it is fine, but I'd love for it to be cemented as actual canon.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I hope that they actually make a legit "Dragon Age is a video game in the ME universe" reference in this game. The Doctors saying it is fine, but I'd love for it to be cemented as actual canon.

Currently this is what we got
maxresdefault.jpg

Bsigg12

Currently replaying the original trilogy and seeing the changes they've made is getting me really excited.

Fueling the Normandy in 2 is annoying but I'm finally to a point in the game where I don't have to travel too much to finish up the 2 remaining loyalty missions.

VpomRurd

I'll wait it out. The trilogy was linear and it worked great. Hopefully they retain that feeling at list.

The first one wasn't very linear. Yes, the maps were very linear but you had freedom with what order you did a lot of stuff in, and you can freely explore some (albeit barren) planets.

I get the feeling Andromeda is gonna be more of that, which I'm game for.

Astrates

Most Krogans end up working as mercenaries to it's likely they were there due to that. They don't have their own ark so haven't been taken as a primary settling species.

kiguel182

See, I felt like ME1 wasn't very linear, and I'd expect it to be slightly more open than that.

If it's Mass Effect 1 like I would be fine with that. I don't mind the exploration focus with a clear story path. My biggest concert is it becoming a big sandbox like open world like GTA or something.

Going some place and finding cool stories is something I'm up for!

Falchion

I really like hearing there's a separate storyline besides the Kett to look forward to. I just played Gravity Rush and one of my favorite aspects of the game is how many in threads there are.

Woorloog

Banned
Debatable. It makes character building choices absolutely meaningless.

Just look at Fallout 4.

To be honest, this is a Mass Effect tradition ME2 aside.

Skill points in ME1 are worthless for most part as there are few skills worth investing in. And you get so many of them the are no real choices.
In ME3, powers have evolutions so there are some choices to be done but you get so many points you get more or less all powers.
Heck, in ME2, you get everything but one power in practice... and in practice you won't need that one you missed.

That said, as long as there are meaningful evolutions for powers, getting all powers isn't that big deal.

UberLevi

Just look at Fallout 4.

Not necessarily. Having every skill while only having a limited amount of skill slots still forces you into making build choices that define your character. The only difference is that there's more opportunity to explore build diversity.

Yes, any player can have any ability in the game, but not every player is going to select the same set of abilities which goes on to define their unique playstyle. In Fallout 4, everything was active at one time as you earned new perks, which is different.

Just look at Fallout 4.

It's not like you can max out in Fallout 4 without grinding, or exploiting. There are 275 levels in Fallout 4, and you're gonna hit around 50-80 in a normal playthrough. Not close to maxing out.

I'm a fan of the open leveling/class template system they're going with. Mass Effect almost had no pretenses of your class reflecting in any narrative sense besides a handful of dialogues mentioning Shepard as a biotic or engineer so having the skill tree reflect a buffet style approach where you can switch to different hats any time you go out on a mission will help mix up gameplay. Also it'll be nice to tailor your own skills around the companions you want to take.

Also just because you can potentially have every skill in the game doesn't mean that's something that can realistically happen in one playthrough since they've already stated you'll be able to take a leveled up Ryder into NG+. It's possible it might take multiple playthroughs to achieve that.

Still no mention of Quarians in the game. I wish they would say yes or no and end it.

I am also looking forward for the multiplayer. I loved it in ME3.

My secret hope is that Quarians came along separate from Ryder. The first time you see them it's without their suits, courtesy of one of the new races and their Andromeda tech or whatever.

I'm looking forward to this game with a growing excitement. Each new info drop feels more promising to me. Still not expecting anything spectacular, but I'd love to be wrong.

Edit: wasn't keen on the skill swapping and no predefined class. Then I thought about it and realized that I used to respec my sentinel and his bonus power on Mass Effect 3 pretty often, switching between a power build and a walking tank armory...so I guess I'm cool without the predefined class

I'd imagine that them limiting the number of active skills to 3 will do a lot to help with the spam problem. Probably a big part of the thinking there, actually.

Did we get confirmation if the PC version is also limited to only 3? It would be nice if we had a full bar of 1-0 keys being used for powers.

prag16

Banned
Did we get confirmation if the PC version is also limited to only 3? It would be nice if we had a full bar of 1-0 keys being used for powers.

I can't imagine they'd make a change on one version only that will have such a drastic and fundamental effect on gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom