• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Info from Official Xbox Magazine Cover Story

RedSwirl

I expect we'll see more Storm Coast/Fallow Mire/Exalted Plains/Emprise du Lion type planet maps than Hinterlands/Crestwood/Western Approach/Hissing Wastes type maps. Big giant open boxes sound more fun, but it's certainly easier to craft and place content when you have a more fixed idea of what direction players are going to be going and when they'll come upon whatever is there.

We sure as shit won't be dropped into a Hinterlands type environment first thing that's for damn sure. Even if there are a few planets somewhat like it.

I still haven't played Inquisition but I imagine maps will be a bit wider in Andromeda simply because they'll be designed around vehicles rather than on-foot travel.

Massive landscapes don't automatically have to be bloated with content.

Woorloog

Banned
Mostly just cool lore stuff, but also gives idea about what kind distances we can cover in sensible timeframes. There isn't relay network to use and Milky Way races never found way to build them.

Damn. Missed potential there. Timelimits would've driven internet posters mad.

Seriously, speaking of that, i presume the Tempest uses the same FTL static-elimination mechanic the arks themselves use (and what the Reapers presumably use).

In case someone wonders why the tech isn't used in ME2 and 3 even though the arks leave before them, the answer is actually pretty simple: there is no need. With relays being relatively common, there is no need for long-distance non-jump FTL.

TitusTroy

they need to bring back Sovereign and the Reapers...they were one of the coolest villains in gaming history...the scene at the end of ME1 with Sovereign is still to this day one of my favorite gaming moments ever

aliengmr

SO much of what I'm hearing sounds like Dragon Age. :(

Well it "sounds" like they don't want a repeat of DA:I. That, combined with Witcher 3's reception, seems to have had an effect, and rightly so.

Now of course, that could be all bullshit and we get DA:I in space, but I don't know.

Obviously they are going to share some similarities, just depends on whether they are the positive ones or not.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I still haven't played Inquisition but I imagine maps will be a bit wider in Andromeda simply because they'll be designed around vehicles rather than on-foot travel.

Massive landscapes don't automatically have to be bloated with content.

I'm sure actual size will be larger for planets and regions with Nomad traversal, but in terms of shape I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to be more narrow and long than simply just big giant open squares. Which was my comparison was about:

The-Storm-Coast.jpg
The-Hinterlands.jpg

You still had a lot of freedom and weren't confined to a narrow pass, but it did help channel you in one relative direction.

A problem with DAI was they had these massive wide open maps, like the Hinterlands, and they felt they needed to fill all of it with stuff, so we end up with lots of MMO type fetch quests. It also overwhelmed a lot of players, as it was the first major starting area, and many got burned out trying to explore every inch of this one map and not going on to newer areas.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
they need to bring back Sovereign and the Reapers...they were one of the coolest villains in gaming history...the scene at the end of ME1 with Sovereign is still to this day one of my favorite gaming moments ever

No, the whole point of Andromeda is to get away from the Reapers plot.

That being said, i'm not sure on the idea of not having a main villain this time, the last time BW tried to do that we got DA2

Woorloog

Banned
The Nomad has no guns, right? So basically, it is nothing but a glorified mount. A fucking horse. The Mako was at least useful beyond just driving around.
Tell me it won't break squad banter or anything like that. The horse in DA:I is worthless because it prevents banter, and mounting and dismounting takes inconvenient time if one ends up in combat. (And some skills were actually better for traveling fast than the horse).

mosdl

A problem with DAI was they had these massive wide open maps, like the Hinterlands, and they felt they needed to fill all of it with stuff, so we end up with lots of MMO type fetch quests. It also overwhelmed a lot of players, as it was the first major starting area, and many got burned out trying to explore every inch of this one map and not going on to newer areas.

I always wondered if they had to cut stuff out because of ps360 support, some stuff they showed off in previews wasn't in the final game.

TitusTroy

No, the whole point of Andromeda is to get away from the Reapers plot.

they want to get away from telling a smart sci-fi story?...the story of the Reapers building the relays to force humanity to evolve the way they wanted is way too smart for the typical video game...they would be wise to re-visit ME1 in the same way Force Awakens basically retold A New Hope

I always wondered if they had to cut stuff out because of ps360 support, some stuff they showed off in previews wasn't in the final game.

They did. Originally there was supposed to be a deep war mechanic involved with the forts and villages. You were at war in the story, and it was supposed to fell that way in the moment to moment.

Though, I doubt this would have effected the mmo quests much. You can't blame everything on last gen. The big maps were there because that's what people kept complaining about. The mmo quests were there to fill the big maps.

StereoVsn

they want to get away from telling a smart sci-fi story?...the story of the Reapers building the relays to force humanity to evolve the way they wanted is way too smart for the typical video game...they would be wise to re-visit ME1 in the same way Force Awakens basically retold A New Hope

Or... let's wait a few years on that one. ME 1 - 3 did a good job telling the story of the Reapers and the fight with them. Let's not go immediatly after the same story. Plus considering most ME players hate the ME3 ending, getting away from that whole side is not a bad thing to do.

Plus, ME:A is at least trying to get you to that whole exploration arc vs a big bad (yes, there is still a big bad). You are Kirk now, not Shepard and that's OK. Whether they pull it off is indeed a big question, could go either way. Info that's been leaking over last week is a bit encouraging but we've heard that from Bioware before.

No.

diaspora

The Reaper story was anus; at least the genophage story had merit.

Edit: and remake me1? Are you mad?

mosdl

They did. Originally there was supposed to be a deep war mechanic involved with the forts and villages. You were at war in the story, and it was supposed to fell that way in the moment to moment.

Though, I doubt this would have effected the mmo quests much. You can't blame everything on last gen. The big maps were there because that's what people kept complaining about. The mmo quests were there to fill the big maps.

Right, but removing some of that stuff probably exasperated things if there would have been more interesting things to do out in the wild. They perhaps went overboard with the quests to fill the gaps caused by cut content.

Its going to be strange that there is no point gameplay wise playing more than once, since you arent locked into a class (soldier/adept/vanguard etc) and there is no level cap.

sounds more like a skyrim system where you can kind of do anything.

most people probably prefer this but I dont personally

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Andromeda annoyed me greatly initially, and still does to a degree as I would have much preferred they had followed up with a game that was set in a post ME3 galaxy. Showing us a fractured and struggling galaxy try to put itself back together. Dealing with the fallout and repercussions of a near galactic wide annihilation event. There is a lot of potential there for interesting stories about how different races and regions responded and recovered. Especially if they had kept the fact that the Mass Relay system was destroyed or even if just partially broken in areas. Leaving whole sections of the galaxy cut off from one another for decades or centuries.

But alas they wanted to start completely fresh. Which I can sort of understand, but hey you break it you buy it.

Good lord.

RedSwirl

The Nomad has no guns, right? So basically, it is nothing but a glorified mount. A fucking horse. The Mako was at least useful beyond just driving around.
Tell me it won't break squad banter or anything like that. The horse in DA:I is worthless because it prevents banter, and mounting and dismounting takes inconvenient time if one ends up in combat. (And some skills were actually better for traveling fast than the horse).

Really? Aw man. I miss blasting enemy bases from the top of an overlooking mountain. It was an actual strategy you could employ that enhanced the sense of scale during ground combat.

DA:I has really tainted my view when it comes to Bioware games. Like, I see this and by all accounts it should make me excited:
* All squad members have a loyalty mission (they seem to be 'a string of objectives' rather than one single mission)
And yet, the first thing that comes to mind is "oh, so it'll be like those boring kill X Venatori/Templars/Mages in Y locations stuff in DA:I".

Hopefully Bioware will prove my inner pessimist wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

To be fair, the mounts in Inquisition were worthless because they even seemed like half arsed late game additions that didn't in any way fit the topography of all the open zones. Like they were added just because mounts are apparently a fixture of these games and expected, but in Inquisition proved completely unnecessary and unwanted. As you said, they broke party banter and were more often than not an inconvenience. The topography of every zone just seemed to be built exclusively around exploring on foot.

Andromeda, on the other hand, has been pushing the Nomad since day one.

Do we know when the next trailer comes?
Since I was getting curious myself I asked around and, I guess I misread last time. They're focusing on finishing the game now. Deep dive with IGN is March, leading up to release. However the long gameplay slice is scheduled for next week towards the end of the week.

Press also go hands on with the game for several hours next week as well, embargo for those previews is the middle of the following week, so we're still getting goodies this month. Sorry for the confusion ☺

Monocle

It all sounds great.

This isn't actually a thing even though people on the internet want to make it a thing. It's become a catchy meme that's easy to brainlessly repeat.

ThEoRy...

Huh? I destroyed the reapers. Why would you want that. Just go back and play the old games. This is a new game with a new story.

Jblanks

Its going to be strange that there is no point gameplay wise playing more than once, since you arent locked into a class (soldier/adept/vanguard etc) and there is no level cap.

sounds more like a skyrim system where you can kind of do anything.

most people probably prefer this but I dont personally

Ouu I didn't know this. Definitely don't like it.

Lucreto

Still no mention of Quarians in the game. I wish they would say yes or no and end it.

I am also looking forward for the multiplayer. I loved it in ME3.

Lt-47

Huh. Not sure how I feel about that.

Maybe he's counting the alternate fire modes as separate skills...?

The quote is "In SP, there is a way to access more than 3 abilities while in the field. Will explain how it works later." but given that we have already seen the loadout screen with only 3 slots I think it just mean that you can swap your active skill whenever your not in combat or something like that.

Jumeira

Banned
SO much of what I'm hearing sounds like Dragon Age. :(

Agreed, amazingly written Enemy

I'm sure actual size will be larger for planets and regions with Nomad traversal, but in terms of shape I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to be more narrow and long than simply just big giant open squares. Which was my comparison was about:

You still had a lot of freedom and weren't confined to a narrow pass, but it did help channel you in one relative direction.

Fuck that game. I don't want anything from that POS in ME.

Lt-47

I dunno guys, this sounds more and more like dragon age by the day. I'm hopeful, but very cautious.

Dragon Age is pretty much fantasy ME (with open world element for DA:I) so how is that surprising ? It not like they ever had completely different design philosophy

Top Bottom